Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VADrum2 by Ryo Togawa

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1561097284

Description:

VADrum2 is a production tool to create drum tracks on iPhone, iPad and Mac. You can program drum sequence, mix the drum sounds and export audio file to be used for production or to be shared with your friends. VADrum2 consists of drum synthesizer, effects and a sequencer. The drum synthesizer includes 27 drum voices, which are 23 virtual analog modules and 4 sample playback modules and they are inspired by the iconic analog drum machines of the 1980’s. The Effects includes delay, chorus, flanger, reverb, eq, and compressor. The sequencer allows you to program 16 bar pattern per clip and you can have total 16 clips. Project files can be saved in iCloud Drive, so that you can work on a project on iPhone, iPad or Mac whichever is convenient for you at the time. VADrum2 can be used as a stand alone or as an Audio Unit Extension (AUv3). Stand Alone supports Ableton Link, Bluetooth MIDI and MIDI IN/OUT.

Main Features

Drum Synthesizer

• 27 drum synthesizer modules (24 virtual analog and 4 sample playback)

Sequencer

• 16 bar patterns per clip. Total 16 clips.
  • Parameter automation.

Audio Export

• Linear PCM format (AIFF, WAV and CAF) and compressed format (AAC)

• Support iCloud Drive.

• Support Universal Application (Work on iOS devices and macOS devices)
  • Support Ableton Link, Bluetooth MIDI, MIDI In / Out.
  • Support Audio Unit Extension (AUv3)

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 14.5
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Video here:

• so does this allow the ability to import and sequence my own samples ?

• edited August 2021

Interesting... AUV3, Parameter automation? Did anyone take the dive?

Looks nice..

• Basically his first version with a added sequencer and sample player plus a few more goodies thrown in. Shame the video doesn’t show more hardly worth making. Maybe it’s just a intro.

• Here's a quickstart video:

• The fact that this works on both iOS and macOS is huge. More developers need to to start to offer their apps for both platforms.

• Universal is a nice touch, but only Logic supports auv3 still. :/ Also, doesn't seem like you can choose which drum modules to use. I'd prefer sampler slots for all the tracks. Reminds me of seekbeats

• edited August 2021

I just don’t need any more 808-inspired sounds. And only 4 sample slots is really weird.

DrumKit and Hammerhead weren’t perfect solutions for me either way, but between the two I’ll get on just fine. Shame that Patterning guy won’t go to AU, but even that wasn’t a perfect solution either. I dunno really what is the perfect fake drum solution for me. Maybe hardware.

• @auxmux said:
    Universal is a nice touch, but only Logic supports auv3 still. :/ Also, doesn't seem like you can choose which drum modules to use. I'd prefer sampler slots for all the tracks. Reminds me of seekbeats

Logic, GarageBand, MainStage, Reaper, and Hosting AU support AUv3. I'm hoping that FL Studio adds support after they get AUv3 support in the mobile version.

If the AUv3 is written for iOS first, then getting it running as a sandboxed plugin on macOS is pretty much one click in Xcode. I can see why some companies wouldn't want to do this, but it's a nice feature to have for users that want to migrate their projects.

• edited August 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    If the AUv3 is written for iOS first, then getting it running as a sandboxed plugin on macOS is pretty much one click in Xcode. I can see why some companies wouldn't want to do this, but it's a nice feature to have for users that want to migrate their projects.

Getting it “sort of running” takes one click. If you use more advanced features, such as share sheets it takes quite a bit more research, because a lot of these things don’t work out of the box (or are downright buggy) when used inside an AUv3 :)

Even Apple’s code-level support admitted there were problems and could not help.

• @brambos said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Getting it “sort of running” takes one click. If you use more advanced features, such as share sheets it takes quite a bit more research, because a lot of these things don’t work out of the box (or are downright buggy) when used inside an AUv3 :)

Even Apple’s code-level support admitted there were problems and could not help.

Yeah, I took the share button and mapped it to an export that brings up the file dialog. There are other things too like mapping gestures, but lots of this overlaps with getting support for mouse and keyboard on iPad. It's not trivial for sure, but lots of UI work is done and the audio side hasn't needed any changes for my AU's.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I just don’t need any more 808-inspired sounds. And only 4 sample slots is really weird.

DrumKit and Hammerhead weren’t perfect solutions for me either way, but between the two I’ll get on just fine. Shame that Patterning guy won’t go to AU, but even that wasn’t a perfect solution either. I dunno really what is the perfect fake drum solution for me. Maybe hardware.

I have a Roland R-8 drum machine from nearly 30 years ago which is still better than the majority of software drum machines.

• edited August 2021

@NeuM said:

I have a Roland R-8 drum machine from nearly 30 years ago which is still better than the majority of software drum machines.

I have fond memories of my R8.

• @jonmoore said:

@NeuM said:

I have fond memories of my R8.

B)

• To anyone who’s used both: how different is VAdrum2 from VAdrum synthesis-wise?

I much prefer the knobs of v2 over the original’s XY controls but it really comes down to if there’s a difference in voice character between the two versions.

• What’s different between this and VADrum SM?

• Ok so I finally dove on VADrum2 and here's a brief view on it so far:

It's very much so an 808 and 909 emulation. Given how "gentle" the parameters are for modifying sounds this is distinctly not a "drum synth" in the sense of arriving at new or surprising sonics. That said it sounds very good and If you're fond of the 808/909 palette then worth getting.

I'd been using VADrum (1) a bit leading up to V2 and in comparison V1 feels clunkier and less intuitive. Speaking of intuitive VADrum2 takes a bit to learn UI navigation-wise and there's some menu diving not unlike certain hardware units which feels a bit cerebral. It's mostly logical though definitely not an Everything On One Screen app.

Having a standalone 808/909 with onboard sequencer, several improvements over V1 and thankfully omitting the XY-pads of V1 make it worth having to me.

• @Proppa said:
    Ok so I finally dove on VADrum2 and here's a brief view on it so far:

It's very much so an 808 and 909 emulation. Given how "gentle" the parameters are for modifying sounds this is distinctly not a "drum synth" in the sense of arriving at new or surprising sonics. That said it sounds very good and If you're fond of the 808/909 palette then worth getting.

I'd been using VADrum (1) a bit leading up to V2 and in comparison V1 feels clunkier and less intuitive. Speaking of intuitive VADrum2 takes a bit to learn UI navigation-wise and there's some menu diving not unlike certain hardware units which feels a bit cerebral. It's mostly logical though definitely not an Everything On One Screen app.

Having a standalone 808/909 with onboard sequencer, several improvements over V1 and thankfully omitting the XY-pads of V1 make it worth having to me.

Good summary. I mentioned this in the other thread but I like the step parameter automation as well.

• This doesn’t have a multiout feature that I’m missing somewhere does it?

• Any long term opinions on this? I’m thinking I’ll grab it before month’s end on sale as a universal simple drop in drum synth to fill in when I can’t be bothered with a drambo, or instead of fiddling with FAC (which I don’t have for the Mac anyway). I skimmed the manual but didn’t see whether the sequencer had any probability type things or not, that would be a definite win if so…

• I hadn't even noticed it had a sequencer until your comment. Just had a poke around in there and couldn't immediately spot anything probability related.

• @FastGhost said:
    I hadn't even noticed it had a sequencer until your comment. Just had a poke around in there and couldn't immediately spot anything probability related.

Ah cool, good to know, thanks 👍👍

• No probability that I know of but it does sound fantastic

• edited March 2023

Anyone still using this? I really like it. Great for the 80s stuff. The menu diving is a bit wonky and it’s taking some getting used to though.

• @HotStrange said:
    Anyone still using this? I really like it. Great for the 80s stuff. The menu diving is a bit wonky and it’s taking some getting used to though.

I am considering this, as I really like the quality of VaPoly and their BBD echo, but I wonder if Ruismaker is on the same page quality wise and/or maybe a tat more user friendly?

• I’d say Ruismaker wins out in usability and features. This sounds amazing and definitely wins in sound quality, at least to me, but it doesn’t have multiout so I tend to use something else if I’m recording. I love it for jamming though or to use for samples

• edited March 2023

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I’d say Ruismaker wins out in usability and features. This sounds amazing and definitely wins in sound quality, at least to me, but it doesn’t have multiout so I tend to use something else if I’m recording. I love it for jamming though or to use for samples

Thanks. Something else that might vote for VADrum is that each sound seems to have its own fx section, and there’s an overal compressor. So less additional fx in the chain to spice things as most can be done in the app itself I guess?

This app suffers from the absence of a great review by Gavinski/Doug/PutYourNameHere

• @Slush said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I’d say Ruismaker wins out in usability and features. This sounds amazing and definitely wins in sound quality, at least to me, but it doesn’t have multiout so I tend to use something else if I’m recording. I love it for jamming though or to use for samples

Thanks. Something else that might vote for VADrum is that each sound seems to have its own fx section, and there’s an overal compressor. So less additional fx in the chain to spice things as most can be done in the app itself I guess?

This app suffers from the absence of a great review by Gavinski/Doug/PutYourNameHere

Yeah all the tools are there for sure to be able to make complete drum tracks. Every channel has three AUX knobs for the delay, mod, and reverb. The EQing is a bit basic and has a parametric for the master and then just tone knobs for each individual track but the compressor is really nice on it. I prefer to work with audio stems so I’d really love multiout but it really does have all the tools you need

• @Slush said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

I know a little while back Doug did a single video of all of their apps. So not an individual demo but I believe it does make an appearance.