Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: bargain alert - Sennheiser Ambeo Headset, great field recorder on firesale

Just a heads-up, I think these are on the verge of being discontinued. They originally retailed for £275 and can be found on Amazon UK for just £39.

I've had a pair for the past year and if you own an iPhone they're terrific for field recordings - you can record straight into Audioshare with great quality. They're binaural and are equipped with an Apogee preamp.

Here's a sample I recorded last year, a woodpecker in a local park:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf8tclszjcpejb7/Woodpecker 14-04-20.wav?dl=0

In black:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-Ear-Black/dp/B08F72P94X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3IT8ISJUPCWAI&dchild=1

In white:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-Video/dp/B073TTRB9F/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3IT8ISJUPCWAI&dchild=1

They're also discounted in the US, but not by as much:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-Ear/dp/B08F72P94X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2N58ADS0KT53&dchild=1

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-AMBEO-Smart-Headset-iOS/dp/B0744PC5J8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2N58ADS0KT53&dchild=1

Comments

• Oh yeah, I should add they're also a great pair of noise-cancelling earbuds! On a plane trip they work better than my Bose QC25s and pack way smaller as well.

• edited August 2021

There’s also some on eBay in uk for £22

There’s even an iphone recording app that can be controlled from Apple Watch ⌚️

• edited August 2021

Yep - these are very good for field recording at the price... The £22 ones are used, it's around £37 for a brand new pair and they're available from the same seller on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164325780403?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The black ones were a special edition that Apple sold exclusively for a while.

• Dang, I wish they were discounted the same in the US... I'd nab these if they were under $50 US.

• Might pick up a pair of these. I think the days are numbered for lightning port based gear but they are handy for now...

• edited August 2021

Good spot Richard. I took a punt on the pair for £22 on ebay. As long is the recording functions well, I’ll be happy. 🎰 🎰 🎰

• edited August 2021

Man I didn’t pay full price, but I did pay a lot, and they lasted me maybe a month before they shorted and iOS would no longer recognize them. And I’m extremely gentle on headphones these days after going through countless pairs in my younger days. The build quality is terrible. Was surprised at Sennheiser.

They do sound great, and are worth this super clearance price if you still have a lightning cable phone, but if you want em to last, well good luck to you.

• @richardyot said:
    Just a heads-up, I think these are on the verge of being discontinued. They originally retailed for £275 and can be found on Amazon UK for just £39.

I've had a pair for the past year and if you own an iPhone they're terrific for field recordings - you can record straight into Audioshare with great quality. They're binaural and are equipped with an Apogee preamp.

The sound stage on your park recording really does capture the front to back aspect, as well as the left to right. Impressive for what I thought might be a binaural gimmick. Apogee components seem to do be doing the job nicely; my inner cynic thought it might have been nothing more than a marketing badge to help sell the percieved value at £270!

• @oat_phipps said:

They do sound great, and are worth this super clearance price if you still have a lightning cable phone, but if you want em to last, well good luck to you.

It’s could be the swing factor that makes me stick with the 12 Pro Max for another 12 months! :)

• @oat_phipps said:

My pair that I've had for over a year has done OK, but I am aware of the reports of poor build quality do I've just bought a second pair as a backup since they're currently so cheap.

I spent a long time researching field recorders last year and these seemed to me to be the best option. The problem with most standalone field recorders is that they leave you with a cataloguing problem: tons of files with cryptic names to sort through. This device allows me to record straight into Audioshare and name the files as I go along. Plus it really does sound great.

• @jonmoore said:

@richardyot said:

The sound stage on your park recording really does capture the front to back aspect, as well as the left to right. Impressive for what I thought might be a binaural gimmick. Apogee components seem to do be doing the job nicely; my inner cynic thought it might have been nothing more than a marketing badge to help sell the percieved value at £270!

I think the main benefit of the Apogee preamp is the low noise floor. To capture these kinds of recordings, outdoors and with relatively quiet sounds, you really do need a clean preamp.

• @richardyot said:

I think the main benefit of the Apogee preamp is the low noise floor. To capture these kinds of recordings, outdoors and with relatively quiet sounds, you really do need a clean preamp.

Indeed. I’ve relied on Apogee Duets over the years as my MacBook Pro audio interface of choice mainly because of it’s preamps. I haven’t upgraded to the Duet 3 yet as I decided on the M-Audio Air as my first exploration of USB-C audio interfaces. But I’m sure I will in the end as Duets are perfect as a DJ audio interface (with NI Traktor). I’m not interested in high numbers of inputs in that scenario other than two channels off the main analog desk, but four outs allows for two channels for headphone monitoring. Traktor sounds so much better running at higher sample rates and it cuts the latency to imperceptible levels (which is really important for DJing).

• @oat_phipps said:
    Man I didn’t pay full price, but I did pay a lot, and they lasted me maybe a month before they shorted and iOS would no longer recognize them. And I’m extremely gentle on headphones these days after going through countless pairs in my younger days. The build quality is terrible. Was surprised at Sennheiser.

There's a usb-c adapter that's supposed to work though I've not tested personally:
    https://apogeedigital.com/blog/the-ambeo-smart-headset-from-apogee-and-sennheiser-now-connects-to-mac-and-ipad-pro-using-the-new-anker-usb-c-to-lightning-audio-adapter

It's pretty expensive but could be useful if you wanted these to work with a later iphone / ipad / android device...

• Forgive the silly question but why are these good for field recordings?

• @NimboStratus said:
    Forgive the silly question but why are these good for field recordings?

That have a microphone in each earbud and an Apogee preamp, so they are able to make high-quality binaural recordings.

Listen for yourself:

• @richardyot
    The pair I purchased from ebay (for £22!) arrived today, and I must say I’m really impressed. So much so that I headed to Amazon to purchase a second pair as a back up (much like yourself).

• @jonmoore said:
    @richardyot
    The pair I purchased from ebay (for £22!) arrived today, and I must say I’m really impressed. So much so that I headed to Amazon to purchase a second pair as a back up (much like yourself).

Yeah they're awesome all round 👍

• Quick demo: headphone required.

• I've seen a couple of reviews that are saying the black version (Apple special edition) had some tweaks in sound quality and ironed out some hardware issues. May be worth bearing in mind if you're looking to grab a pair...

• I picked up the black pair. Still trying to justify why I need more headphones to my better half.

• @minimalproduct said:
    I picked up the black pair. Still trying to justify why I need more headphones to my better half.

Know that feeling well. :)

• Thanks for the heads-up - "found sounds" are a bit of a thing of mine, especially when out and about, so this will be excellent for me :-)

• Many thanks for the heads up richardyot ......just purchased from ebay.

• I caved and ordered a pair today. I’m often out walking about listening to podcasts, so this is perfect for me. I love field recordings and found sounds, so this lets me capture sounds on walks when I would otherwise normally be unprepared. Yes! Also purchased the 3 year warranty because it sounds like these will for sure break long before then. 😛

• Hi Gang

Check for the latest firmware update, my set was not the latest, (get updates in the AppStore using the Ambeo app)

• @stown said:
    I caved and ordered a pair today. I’m often out walking about listening to podcasts, so this is perfect for me. I love field recordings and found sounds, so this lets me capture sounds on walks when I would otherwise normally be unprepared. Yes! Also purchased the 3 year warranty because it sounds like these will for sure break long before then. 😛

Hi

Where do you purchase the warranty?

Thanks.

• @minimalproduct said:
    I picked up the black pair. Still trying to justify why I need more headphones to my better half.

But how many microphones have you got :smile:

• @LoopyFruit said:

@stown said:
    I caved and ordered a pair today. I’m often out walking about listening to podcasts, so this is perfect for me. I love field recordings and found sounds, so this lets me capture sounds on walks when I would otherwise normally be unprepared. Yes! Also purchased the 3 year warranty because it sounds like these will for sure break long before then. 😛

Hi

Where do you purchase the warranty?

Thanks.

I know Amazon provide a warranty extension with most electronic purchases. Purchased separately at the same time.

• @LoopyFruit it was just an option that Amazon offered when I added the ambeos to my cart. “Asurion 3 year Portable Electronic Accident Protection Plan with Tech Support $60-69.99”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4767F2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Just ordered these. Thanks, @richardyot