Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rhino Guitar Amp Sim from Aurora DSP. Public beta looks interesting.

Their second app I believe after Mammoth Bass.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/vuKZiMjs

Comments

• I like the aesthetic of this UI.

• Interesting will give this a go, wonder how much it will be and whether it’s AUv3

• @NimboStratus said:
    Interesting will give this a go, wonder how much it will be and whether it’s AUv3

It’s AUv3

• Beautiful interface and loads of control - looks like this could be a winner...

• It seems we can blend IR. I hope users can import their own IR !

• Amazing interface 🔱

• edited August 2021

@JanKun said:
    It seems we can blend IR. I hope users can import their own IR !

@JanKun Looks like there is a option fir that via the plus + sign next to custom opens up the files app.

@AuroraDSP
    First app I’ve seen with a tone matching capability not sure how that works. Not being a guitarist some of these options seen pretty deep. I wonder if @flo26 or @Jamie_Mallender have seen this yet be interesting to see their take on the app.

The Pre and Drive modelling with different settings which are the heart of this thing appear to be a bit harsh for my taste at least on first play. The bright module is good.

It’s clever how each section opens up to larger screen on hitting the expand buttons. Found the EQ a bit fiddly initially some of the controls don’t show that well. Also have overlapping mind see time fx below, it is the first beta. I’m sure @Samu would come up with a list of items that could be improved. Interesting it packs a lot of FX in. Is it to much is it trying to be all things !

It’s also got a note monitor which is a nice addition.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@JanKun said:
    It seems we can blend IR. I hope users can import their own IR !

@JanKun Looks like there is a option fir that via the plus + sign next to custom opens up the files app.

@AuroraDSP
    First app I’ve seen with a tone matching capability not sure how that works. Not being a guitarist some of these options seen pretty deep. I wonder if @flo26 or @Jamie_Mallender have seen this yet be interesting to see their take on the app.

The Pre and Drive modelling with different settings which are the heart of this thing appear to be a bit harsh for my taste at least on first play. The bright module is good.

It’s clever how each section opens up to larger screen on hitting the expand buttons. Found the EQ a bit fiddly initially some of the controls don’t show that well. Also have overlapping mind see time fx below, it is the first beta. I’m sure @Samu would come up with a list of items that could be improved. Interesting it packs a lot of FX in. Is it to much is it trying to be all things !

It’s also got a note monitor which is a nice addition.

I’ve been waiting for this app for a long time. Mammoth is outrageously good. I’m gonna have to take a good look at this.

• @Jumpercollins thank for for posting the link to the beta. I just spent an hour with it. This beta needs a lot of work before it’s release ready, but it could be great.

• edited August 2021

There is a lot of potential here, this is not a plug and play app, it’s a tweaker’s playground. The interface is extremely deep, almost too deep, especially when you look at all the EQ params as well as all the Preamp params, and there is a lot of param redundancy. That being said, this UI is amazing. I meant to spend 5 minutes with the presets only, but ended up tweaking for an hour. I used two different interfaces with the same guitar. The findings so far…

• The “Mono” button works backwards, activating it makes it stereo. Also, when changing presets and other sections, the signal reverts back to mono, and that’s annoying. This should be a set it and forget it global param.

• The limiter works backwards, is this intentional? Lowering the slider into negative DBs makes the signal louder, this is confusing. I thought that a limiter works in such a way that when you set the decibel level it limits at that spot. In this case the limiter is just turning up the signal as you lower it, weird. EDIT this is intended function of this limiter, now I understand, it’s not a brick wall limiter. Still I don’t quite understand its function or neccesity, it seems to work like a backwards volume slider…

• The IR loader is broken. When I tried to load my Ownhammer IRs into all 4 spots or just have 1 Custom IR activated, there is no signal. You also can’t tell if it’s loaded, you press + and load it, and nothing happens, even when you then click on “custom”.

• with the IR module disabled, and using Rhino in AUM with Thafknar (with Zilla IRs), it sounded much better. Kudos for implementing such an intense IR module, but it’s just names of IR flavors, we don’t actually know what IRs we’re loading or what they are in your collection. And as I mentioned I wasn’t able to test how your IR loader works and if it sounds like the convolution loaders we already use. I think there’s lots of potential there, but off the bat I found that I preferred my own IRs, which is usually the case with all iOS guitar apps anyway.

• The output overall is just set way too high. With my interface gain set kind of low (Motu M4), many of the presets and high gain sounds clip and overload the output, causing harsh digital clipping. I found myself lowering the output slider to -10db as a global setting. With how the app is set in “default”, it’s just too much output, and rumble and ruffage in the lows. All this to say it’s not a plug and play app, starts off unpleasant and needs to be tweaked before it’s good.

• Just like Mammoth, there isn’t really a usable clean sound here. This is a metal app through and through. However, it sounds good and like a real guitar amp rig, not too preampy, pretty realistic.

• no presets in AUM as auv3

Now the good stuff…

• the depth of this app is phenomenal. The included effects are good and well integrated into the app and tonestack, and on top of that the sub section effects inside the preamp module (compressor, etc..) are really useful.

• the EQ module is brilliant.

• the orange colored preamp sounds absolutely amazing. For my taste this is the best sound in the whole app, hard rock Klon type of tone, really really good.

• the red preamp also sounds good and gets close to a clean sound, but it’s ridiculously dark and needs a major shift in the EQ module. When I cut out all the low freq and cranked the high freq, it was usable.

• good tuner

This app needs a manual. What does “tight” do? Couldn’t hear a difference. Also, I’m really into the style of the app, it’s kind of like you’re using adjectives to describe an IPA or and indica strain (blazing, engaging, brute, etc..) but you’re not actually telling us what it is that we’re tweaking. So if the app doesn’t sound good then it’s just a bunch of adjectives hiding a turd, but in this case I was able to get some amazing sounds, once I crawled through the trenches…

@AuroraDSP huge congrats on porting this over to iOS, with some tweaks in the beta stage, this should obviously be a successful release. Cheers!

• @JoyceRoadStudios : re the limiter. What you describe sounds like the slider sets the threshold at which the limiter kicks in. so, setting to a lower DB level means it kicks in at lower volume levels and setting ithigh might mean it never or rarely kicks in.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios : re the limiter. What you describe sounds like the slider sets the threshold at which the limiter kicks in. so, setting to a lower DB level means it kicks in at lower volume levels and setting ithigh might mean it never or rarely kicks in.

Interesting… that’s just weird to me, it is set at 0db by default and that sounds fine, but turning it off has no effect on volume and little effect on tone. Then you turn it on and as you slide it down the sound gets really loud, just like a backwards volume slider. And this is at all stacks, clean or dirty loud or quiet, just doesn’t make sense to me.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios : re the limiter. What you describe sounds like the slider sets the threshold at which the limiter kicks in. so, setting to a lower DB level means it kicks in at lower volume levels and setting ithigh might mean it never or rarely kicks in.

Interesting… that’s just weird to me, it is set at 0db by default and that sounds fine, but turning it off has no effect on volume and little effect on tone. Then you turn it on and as you slide it down the sound gets really loud, just like a backwards volume slider. And this is at all stacks, clean or dirty loud or quiet, just doesn’t make sense to me.

That is how I expect threshold levels to work with compressors and limiters. The threshold tells you when it kicks in. Normally there would also be a make-up gain adjustment to set the target output level. It probably uses an auto-gain and expects you to set the overall output gain elsewhere.

• edited August 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@espiegel123 said:

That is how I expect threshold levels to work with compressors and limiters. The threshold tells you when it kicks in. Normally there would also be a make-up gain adjustment to set the target output level. It probably uses an auto-gain and expects you to set the overall output gain elsewhere.

I see… thanks for the clarification. I think the issue for me is the default output is set ridiculously high, so as soon as I lower the limiter as I experiment with it, the output signal is overloaded. I guess then having the limiter on by default and at 0db is deliberate for this app…

• I’m interested to see what people think, this appears to be a really major and deep guitar app, but needs some work. @flo26 I feel like a demo of this app would be two hours long…

• forgot to mention, the default latency is fantastic, cannot detect any latency whatsoever…

@espiegel123 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@espiegel123 said:

I see… thanks for the clarification. I think the issue for me is the default output is set ridiculously high, so as soon as I lower the limiter as I experiment with it, the output signal is overloaded. I guess then having the limiter on by default and at 0db is deliberate for this app…

Not sure I'll demo apps still...

• edited August 2021

Ok, I’m convinced. I went back over the app this time with a Les Paul (this morning was with a strat). There is an incredible amount of tweakability with Rhino, and once you get to know the million knobs and sub category params, it’s possible to get incredible tone. This app could take months to master. I still think the limiter is weird, it is ON by default but I actually think that’s a bug, and the output of the app is way too hot it distorts and farts out in AUM easily, -10db is a starting point and this should also be a global setting. The IRs are a weak point, as expected. But I found something amazing. It’s not just that there’s a quad IR module that supposedly you could load your own IRs into. There’s a separate Reverb module that has all the usual suspects, but you can also load your own custom convolution reverb into it! So I loaded an IR into the convolution module, and spent a half hour making the the most amazing ambient metal music. So Rhino is not just an amp, it’s an ambient machine, with 4 tweakable preamps each with its own set of pre effects like compressor and fuzz, then other built in effects (delay, chorus, flanger, etc) and much more. Once they iron out the bugs (and there are many), this thing is gonna crush. I had an AUM chain with Nembrini Black (Rat2), Rhino EQd to better take pedals, IR bypassed, into Thafknar using just one IR… really great. @AuroraDSP … wow

• Great... just when you think you've closed out a category because you have too many (like DAW's or Reverbs) a new one comes along that tests your resolve.

It will still take a @flo26 demo to convince me. @JoyceRoadStudios is a silver tongued (silver fingered?) temptress for the evangelizing guitar apps... still it's good to have someone post a quick hands on review. Expensive to read them tho'.

• @McD said:
    Great... just when you think you've closed out a category because you have too many (like DAW's or Reverbs) a new one comes along that tests your resolve.

It will still take a @flo26 demo to convince me. @JoyceRoadStudios is a silver tongued (silver fingered?) temptress for the evangelizing guitar apps... still it's good to have someone post a quick hands on review. Expensive to read them tho'.

I mean, I would say unless you’re into metal and 50 shades of high gain, you could skip it @McD. But the public beta link is posted above, so I urge you to play with it at no cost, it’s kind of fun and unique in terms of UI… just figuring out wtf everything means is half the fun.

• Yeah, that user interface is most imposing.

I’ll wait for someone (ANYONE!!!) to do a getting started with Rhino walkthrough.

While I wait, I still have plenty of work to do getting optimal tone out of the recent Nembrini and Overloud releases.

• The logo alone has me interested.

@McD said:
    Great... just when you think you've closed out a category because you have too many (like DAW's or Reverbs) a new one comes along that tests your resolve.

I mean, I would say unless you’re into metal and 50 shades of high gain, you could skip it @McD. But the public beta link is posted above, so I urge you to play with it at no cost, it’s kind of fun and unique in terms of UI… just figuring out wtf everything means is half the fun.

My first thought after looking at the interface was ‘something for the metalheads’!

• This thing is much more than a metal machine.

I had an AUM chain with Nembrini Black (Rat2)

Show off :lol:

• edited August 2021

I've used the app for almost 3 hours this afternoon and everything worked fine for me.
    Depending what preamp you use,you must adjust the output level,but that's all.
    I've not even touched the input level.I have just disengaged the gate and everything was ok.
    It is a really versatile amp sim.You must know what you want to hear.
    Worth a try.

• What a killer UI

• @flo26 said:
    I've used the app for almost 3 hours this afternoon and everything worked fine for me.
    I've not even touched the input level.I have just disengaged the gate and everything was ok.
    Worth a try.

Yes it’s really worth a try. Just like you I lowered the output and turn off the Gate, and that’s about it. I hate gates so much, seems like a default On setting with so many sims.

I’m on iOS 14.7.1 and there are some minor bugs for me, like the Mono button being reversed, some visual inconsistencies standalone vs auv3 (no auv preset window and menus not resizing fully, some buttons missing). I also can’t get the IR loader to work. If I load 4 custom IRs, or load one IR and disable the other 3, no sound. Were you able to load an IR?

Very versatile app…

• I have not loaded ir cabs in the app,only my usual signal chain.

• @flo26 said:
    Worth a try.

Interesting to hear, I’ve spent years resetting to default and ignoring presets to get to the sound I want, and most of the time failing to get back to what I had with my old pedal board and Simms Watts valve amp and cab.
    I’m only a mediocre at best player, but that old setup made me feel capable, as I could do what I wanted, and not what IT wanted.