Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spatializer by quantovox - Released

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1574889552

Description:

Spatializer is a great choice if you want to widen your sounds but need to avoid:
• phase smearing in the mono mix
• phasing / comb filter effects (from asymmetric channel delays)
• or any changes to the mono mix

Spatializer is also excellent for augmenting larger-scale reverbs by adding earlier reflections, moving the listener closer to the virtual sound source.

Key features include:
• Synthesis of Side channel information where there was none
• Built-in multiband transient shapers for suppressing outlier reflections
• Multiple visualization options: Directional RMS distribution, Front / Back balance, Position and motion
• Effects can range from close-proximity / spatial audio effects to larger acoustic space reflections
• Frequency response is optimized to maximize flatness, balancing the spectral density of Left, Right, Side channels

Our selection of subtly tuned presets and the combined psychoacoustic properties of the above features give more leeway to easily experiment with kinds of source material that have traditionally presented difficulties, like tracks with prominent LF content.

For audio demos, visit:
https://www.quantovox.com/pro-audio/products/spatializer/

PLEASE NOTE:
• AUv3-compatible host application required
• Supported sampling rates: 44.1, 48, 96 kHz

Details:
Universal: No
Minimum OS version: 14.4
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• It’s pretty 😍

• It’s very subtle.

It’s useful for placing sounds in a mix.
    Sounds good on drums.
    I can imagine it being good on vocals.

Happy with this one.
    It’s going to come in handy.

• My first app purchase for August 2021...
    ...keeping the budget tight :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:
    My first app purchase for August 2021...
    ...keeping the budget tight :sunglasses:

Well done.

Likewise. 😎

• I can't see any audio demos on the page linked in the post but there's a demo on YouTube:

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Thank you Mr. @White!

+1

I've dropped it on a lead vocal.

Sounds really good.

• edited August 2021

@McD said:
    I can't see any audio demos on the page linked in the post but there's a demo on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0dXChwtuH

There‘s a tutorial from Doug:

• Interesting…

• How do you bring the presets up in BM3 not seeing the studio tab?

• Hello all, I’ve not been able to watch the video yet but does this app fill a gap in iOS music production or might I already have an app that does this?

• @rud said:
    Hello all, I’ve not been able to watch the video yet but does this app fill a gap in iOS music production or might I already have an app that does this?

You could use a combination of apps to get this effect but this one fills the gap well.

If you're into stereo imaging then you'll like it.
    It doesn't give big washes of reverb.
    What it does do is enable you to place the sound effectively.

• @Gravitas thank you. I guess I’m into learning about anything I’m not familiar with and want to improve my production techniques. Stereo imaging sounds cool. Cheers 🌟

• Any comparison to VirtualRoom AU?

• Does it set itself above the good free option, Wider by IM?

• That looks really interesting, Dougs tutorial showed quite well what it can do.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    How do you bring the presets up in BM3 not seeing the studio tab?

Developer here. Unfortunately since we have no UI within the plugin for preset management, we rely on the host to provide its own preset UI. This is an issue with BM3 and NanoStudio.
    Unfortunately we only included a warning about this in the app description for our first maintenance release that is upcoming.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Adding a preset UI is in the works, we'll see if we can expedite it and decouple it from other features being added.

• @quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Developer here. Unfortunately since we have no UI within the plugin for preset management, we rely on the host to provide its own preset UI. This is an issue with BM3 and NanoStudio.
    Unfortunately we only included a warning about this in the app description for our first maintenance release that is upcoming.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Adding a preset UI is in the works, we'll see if we can expedite it and decouple it from other features being added.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the release! 👍

• @gusgranite said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the release! 👍

Thanks! Hoping to deliver great value to musicians.

• @quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox Cheers that great news sorry I missed the warning.

I was also getting a sample rate warning in GarageBand using the plug-in which I’ve never seen before. Probably not related to Spatializer but thought I better mention it.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I was also getting a sample rate warning in GarageBand using the plug-in which I’ve never seen before. Probably not related to Spatializer but thought I better mention it.

No, actually we didn't manage to put the warning in time for the first release... So it's on us.
    The sample rate warning though... It would be very helpful if you could tell me the sample rate you're using in garageband. Could you please get a reading of that from the settings. I take it it's not an intermittent error, but a persistent one? And basically the plugin is just passing thru the input, right?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Some tracks in GB on iOS are running at a 20kHz sample rate. This could be the cause of the warning. I put up a warning on a some of my AU's if a lower sample rate will impact the results.

• edited August 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

(*** removed screenshot to reduce screen spam ***)

Some tracks in GB on iOS are running at a 20kHz sample rate. This could be the cause of the warning. I put up a warning on a some of my AU's if a lower sample rate will impact the results.

Oh, that's very interesting. Unfortunately Spatializer cannot support anything other than 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz (as mentioned in the app description) due to a very elaborate approach of delivering as consistent responses as possible across the different sampling rates. Although it would be great to get a better understanding of how much impact this issue has in terms of people actually following these usage patterns in GB.

• @quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Oh, that's very interesting. Unfortunately Spatializer cannot support anything other than 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz (as mentioned in the app description) due to a very elaborate approach of delivering as consistent responses as possible across the different sampling rates. Although it would be great to get a better understanding of how much impact this issue has in terms of people actually following these usage patterns in GB.

It's sampled tracks in GB that can (not all do) run at 22.05kHz. Probably the easiest way to handle it in your case would be to upsample by a factor of 2 to get to 44.1kHz. I do this in one of my AU's and it works reliably in GB because I think the only sample rates you will see there are 22.05 and 44.1. In a couple of my AU's that use oversampling already I adjust the amount of oversampling for those tracks that are below 44.1kHz. In one of my apps, I display the warning but then block the filters from going above Nyquist in the low sample rate tracks so the AU can run anyway. I give the warning so users might understand why boosting the EQ at 12kHz isn't doing anything to the sound.

• edited August 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

It's sampled tracks in GB that can (not all do) run at 22.05kHz. Probably the easiest way to handle it in your case would be to upsample by a factor of 2 to get to 44.1kHz. I do this in one of my AU's and it works reliably in GB because I think the only sample rates you will see there are 22.05 and 44.1. In a couple of my AU's that use oversampling already I adjust the amount of oversampling for those tracks that are below 44.1kHz. In one of my apps, I display the warning but then block the filters from going above Nyquist in the low sample rate tracks so the AU can run anyway. I give the warning so users might understand why boosting the EQ at 12kHz isn't doing anything to the sound.

I see. Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly it's a tricky situation since delays introduced by a resampler have a very strong psychoacoustic characteristic in this use case, and then there's the question of linear phase. And DAW latency compensation is not as clear cut either, looking at all the various host issues a developer already faces. We had previously been heavily involved with a comparatively large effort for creating a realtime resampling engine for iOS, and it's a very tricky area in terms of balancing delays, aliasing, and computational requirements. Of course one cannot be a complete DSP purist (regarding aliasing which you won't escape in a realtime resampler), but if a sound engineering product can be designed to avoid most of these issues, there must be a very substantial reason to give up some of the those qualities. Having separate realtime / rendering modes of course helps alleviate these, as long as users who are more invested in online (realtime) use understand the downside. At this point I would still like to better gauge how widespread this problem is, and if a user-friendly workaround exists within the host, that would be much preferred to the viper's nest that is resampling in a (quasi) spatial audio product.

• @quantovox sorry to be ‘that guy’ but are there any plans to make this universal? (Iphone compatible)

• @gregsmith said:
    @quantovox sorry to be ‘that guy’ but are there any plans to make this universal? (Iphone compatible)

@gregsmith said:
    @quantovox sorry to be ‘that guy’ but are there any plans to make this universal? (Iphone compatible)

Yes, it's the highest priority feature in the pipeline right now.

• @quantovox

I'm really liking this app.
    It filled a gap in my production toolset.

Thank you and...

Welcome to the Forum.

• edited August 2021

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@quantovox said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@quantovox said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I see. Thanks for sharing this. Admittedly it's a tricky situation since delays introduced by a resampler have a very strong psychoacoustic characteristic in this use case, and then there's the question of linear phase. And DAW latency compensation is not as clear cut either, looking at all the various host issues a developer already faces. We had previously been heavily involved with a comparatively large effort for creating a realtime resampling engine for iOS, and it's a very tricky area in terms of balancing delays, aliasing, and computational requirements. Of course one cannot be a complete DSP purist (regarding aliasing which you won't escape in a realtime resampler), but if a sound engineering product can be designed to avoid most of these issues, there must be a very substantial reason to give up some of the those qualities. Having separate realtime / rendering modes of course helps alleviate these, as long as users who are more invested in online (realtime) use understand the downside. At this point I would still like to better gauge how widespread this problem is, and if a user-friendly workaround exists within the host, that would be much preferred to the viper's nest that is resampling in a (quasi) spatial audio product.

We could also accomodate an approach to add more specific sampling rates to support, if there is a discrete set that is not too numerous. But that makes the most sense after a period of collecting such feedback, and weighing all options.

• edited August 2021

@Gravitas said:
    @quantovox

I'm really liking this app.
    It filled a gap in my production toolset.

Thank you and...

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks. We're really glad you enjoy it and find it useful.