Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synths for plucked strings

For my recent tracks I enjoyed very much using synths for plucked string sounds instead of samples because I have much more control over the sound and really can design exactly the pluck sound I need. Which synths that are good at plucked strings do you know? So far I found

Comments

• You will find a couple of pluked strings in GarageBand

• edited August 2021

A good start so far, @krassmann. I was gonna mention all those :lol:
    I'll add to that KSSynth inside Caustic and Geoshred

• edited August 2021

I'm sure someone will come and recommend any of the modulars like Drambo, Sunvox, Mirack, zMors, Jasuto, Audulus, etc
    But patching up may be more work than needed if you already have great options :tongue:

• Don't know if it fits the bill but the more I dig into Poison-202 the more it keeps on surprising me :)

• Using the swam strings in pizzicato mode etc sounds incredible, you could then process with fx.

• @Gavinski, how do you access pizzicato mode?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Gavinski, how do you access pizzicato mode?

In Play Mode!

• @krassmann said:
    For my recent tracks I enjoyed very much using synths for plucked string sounds instead of samples because I have much more control over the sound and really can design exactly the pluck sound I need. Which synths that are good at plucked strings do you know? So far I found

Is Plectrum good at making guitar sounds?

• edited August 2021

Drambo's Waveguide and and Comb modules do good strings, nylons, plucks, harpsichords, typical karplus
    strong stuff.
    +1 for Audio Modelling pizzicato. Really great on their double bass and cello models.

Also, there are a few really cool user oscillators for Minilogue XD and Prologue. Sounds so good having those physical modeling sounds going through the analog filters and vcas.

Physiq by DirtBox Synths
    https://www.dirtboxsynth.com/uncategorized/meet-physiq-the-physical-modelling-oscillator/

Pluck by Tim Shoebridge
    https://soundmangling.sellfy.store/p/lrkzq3/

Those are the best I've found. But there are some free ones like Cain'++, and the MI Plaits String model too.
    https://cain-synthesizer.com/cain

edit: Nano Studio's Obsidian has a comb filter - route a short impulse into that and you'll get some good plucks.

• Plectrum makes some epic old acoustic lute or guitar type sounds. They sound good after alot of tweaking, and it sounds natural.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@krassmann said:

Plectrum is my latest addition and I did not dive deep into it yet. It has very interesting sounds but for guitar sounds I’d prefer strng and Lagrange.

• @krassmann said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@krassmann said:

Plectrum is my latest addition and I did not dive deep into it yet. It has very interesting sounds but for guitar sounds I’d prefer strng and Lagrange.

Thank you 🙏🏻

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@krassmann said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

@krassmann said:

Thank you 🙏🏻

Hmm… but look at the post of @oceansinspace. I guess I did not go deep enough into Plectrum. So far I found its sounds a bit harsh but you probably need to tweak it better.

• Continua, has some nice plucks, especially with the @Spidericemidas free bank.

All the Swam Strings do nice plucked aka pizzicato sound.

SoundFonts AU - lots of great plucked SoundFonts out there to load into the app.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @Gavinski, how do you access pizzicato mode?

In Play Mode!

Yup make full screen to see all options, scroll down if necessary, should be to the lower right, tap play mode box, and switch between 3 play modes, bow, pizzicato, col. legato.

• Mersenne?, very plucky, I don’t know if it’s strings…
    +1 on Spectrum. Love it.

• edited August 2021

Thanks for additions. I did not try the other IceGear synths because I think that they put all their algorithms into Lagrange or do you think Mersenne and Laplace have got a significantly different character than the corresponding algorithms in Lagrange?

• AddStation easily shines for mallets (the best in my opinion) but can also be good for plucked strings. Just draw the partials/attack/decay profile of a stringed instrument, add a pinch of inharmonicity.
    And the polyphony is very good, contrary to most of the synths.

• @Samu said:
    Don't know if it fits the bill but the more I dig into Poison-202 the more it keeps on surprising me :)

Good point, Poison is a simple but quite versatile synth - it keeps surprising me. It’s definitely a good synth for plucky arps although not really for plucked strings.

• Frioventus' presets for Obsidian have some nice plucks - cello, guitar, harp, strings.

Sampletank also has various packs with good pizzicato sound.

• Reason Compact has the Karplus-Strong algorithm, and its pristine audio quality lends itself well to preserving the harmonics of a pluck. I love the sound engine, and it also has a really cool knob animation. However, it's not AU, it receives very little support, and it has contained some glitches since release.

• Yeah that karptlus strong is sweet. ITs great on the micro freak. It is deff in the plectrum app as an option. It can be harsh and also the settings are a bit obscure, rather the knobs and names of them. It can be hard to make a good patch but you really get rewarded. Now if you want a 4 tet pluck that more synthy (or that what ive heard)

• Can recommend GarageBand, GeoShred Pro and Yonac’s Steel Guitar.

• Sunrizer default sound is called 1tar a sorta sitar sound. I enjoy messing with it. I am sure it can do more similar.

• This thread is a good example how valuable this forum is to me. @aleyas pointed out Physiq by DirtBox Synths - something I never heard of before. Then I looked it up and I learned that there is a cool DIY synth from Korg: the NTS-1. It’s a monophonic synth based on the same Korg synth engine that allows to run oscillator plug-ins such as the DirtBox plug-ins and costs just about 100 bucks. Instantly this thing made it to the top of my Christmas wishlist 😃 Thank you so much.

• edited August 2021

@krassmann said:
    This thread is a good example how valuable this forum is to me. @aleyas pointed out Physiq by DirtBox Synths - something I never heard of before. Then I looked it up and I learned that there is a cool DIY synth from Korg: the NTS-1. It’s a monophonic synth based on the same Korg synth engine that allows to run oscillator plug-ins such as the DirtBox plug-ins and costs just about 100 bucks. Instantly this thing made it to the top of my Christmas wishlist 😃 Thank you so much.

Cheers man! these user oscillators really changed my outlook on the 'logue' family and the NTS-1. Before, the Minilogue XD was just a boring poly synth to me - now it's a hybrid karplus strong synthesizer, and a badass drum machine.

Speaking of, Brambos developed a Ruismaker osc kit for the NTS-1, and it's free =)
    https://ruismaker.com/korg/

And here's a thorough list of custom oscs and effects, including many free ones:
    https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/

And remember, the NTS-1 is also an FX processor, which can run 3 different algorithms simultaneously. You can find some really cool stuff like resonators, ring mods, and reverbs in the link above.

• @aleyas said:

@krassmann said:
    This thread is a good example how valuable this forum is to me. @aleyas pointed out Physiq by DirtBox Synths - something I never heard of before. Then I looked it up and I learned that there is a cool DIY synth from Korg: the NTS-1. It’s a monophonic synth based on the same Korg synth engine that allows to run oscillator plug-ins such as the DirtBox plug-ins and costs just about 100 bucks. Instantly this thing made it to the top of my Christmas wishlist 😃 Thank you so much.

Cheers man! these user oscillators really changed my outlook on the 'logue' family and the NTS-1. Before, the Minilogue XD was just a boring poly synth to me - now it's a hybrid karplus strong synthesizer, and a badass drum machine.

Speaking of, Brambos developed a Ruismaker osc kit for the NTS-1, and it's free =)
    https://ruismaker.com/korg/

And here's a thorough list of custom oscs and effects, including many free ones:
    https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/

And remember, the NTS-1 is also an FX processor, which can run 3 different algorithms simultaneously. You can find some really cool stuff like resonators, ring mods, and reverbs in the link above.

Ruismaker as a device - how cool is that? 🤩

• @RajahP said:

I was gonna say SM One don’t have 2 yet. There is a decent amount of plucked presets in one, I’m sure 2 too.