Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

Comments

• @dendy said:

@LeeB
    must admit, that new update has caught my eye too

:-))

it's tempting, but still i rather buy second digitone to add more voices to my sets :-)

Or you could sample Digitone phrases into an MPC to free up voices :-)

• edited July 2021

I actually found Gabe's channel while looking for tutorials for MC-101. His are pretty good.

MC-101 can be polyphony expander option for some peeps. 128-voices. 4-part multitimbral. Takes little space.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I actually found Gabe's channel while looking for tutorials for MC-101. His are pretty good.

MC-101 can be polyphony expander option for some peeps. 128-voices. 4-part multitimbral. Takes little space.

Gabe channel had me debating the mc 101/707 and the mpc one/ live 2 for weeks and weeks lol
    Getting the mpc live 2, just feel like it’s worth it. I mean I really want an OP1 but I’m not paying that much for the limitations, I know it’s powerful. But I can do so much more with the live or even the one.
    Needless to say I’ve been debating so much the wife hates me for it haha

• @Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Gabe channel had me debating the mc 101/707 and the mpc one/ live 2 for weeks and weeks lol
    Getting the mpc live 2, just feel like it’s worth it. I mean I really want an OP1 but I’m not paying that much for the limitations, I know it’s powerful. But I can do so much more with the live or even the one.

I totally feel you on this. I've been running circles in my head trying to figure out what I want in a groovebox and what features I can live with and live without.

If there was just one killer, it would be easy, but each box does something a little different. For everything and the kitchen sink approach though, the mpc's look very tasty especially after the 2.10 update.

• @Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Gabe's channel is dangerous because dude has so many grooveboxes. Puts you in constant danger of GAS for your 2nd groovebox, and 3rd....

I got my OP-1 before the big price hike. I just started using it again after the OS 243 update. Most of the power of the OP-1 is in the Tape. I wish I could erase one Track in one or two button clicks instead of having to do a bunch of splits and lifts. Other than that though, working with Tape is a unique experience.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Gabe's channel is dangerous because dude has so many grooveboxes. Puts you in constant danger of GAS for your 2nd groovebox, and 3rd....

I got my OP-1 before the big price hike. I just started using it again after the OS 243 update. Most of the power of the OP-1 is in the Tape. I wish I could erase one Track in one or two button clicks instead of having to do a bunch of splits and lifts. Other than that though, working with Tape is a unique experience.

Haha yeah super dangerous to watch his channel. But super fun and inspiring lol

Yeah my decision is made mpc live 2 (or the one) depends on how i feel when I go to buy.
    One day I’ll get an op1 but now isn’t the time. The mpc seems like I can get the most work done with the one machine, and build up my synths and even more boxes one day. But the mpc seems like the perfect one to get to begin my journey with more hardware.

• @GovernorSilver

exactly 😂🤣 very dangerous place :-)))

• @Weareroses said:

Yeah my decision is made mpc live 2 (or the one) depends on how i feel when I go to buy.
    One day I’ll get an op1 but now isn’t the time. The mpc seems like I can get the most work done with the one machine, and build up my synths and even more boxes one day. But the mpc seems like the perfect one to get to begin my journey with more hardware.

At least you made a decision!

I'm stilling mulling 707 vs. MPC Live 2 Retro - not the black one - various peeps complaining about rubbery something on the black housing collecting dust, skin fragments, etc.

707 would allow deeper editing of ZenCore presets vs. 101. OTOH, MPC Live 2 Retro sounds like a more complete machine, even with Gabe's list of cons (tries too hard to be DAW, complicating the workflow, Maschine Plus still a little easier to use).

OP-1 I'm primarily using to record up to 6 min. of sounds/noises from my Matriarch, Lyra-8, or whatever, and use the Tape to edit down to something that might be incorporated into a structured piece of music.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I wish I could erase one Track in one or two button clicks instead of having to do a bunch of splits and lifts.

Dont you just delete "Track 1.aif" or whatever from the op1 mounted drive/folder, and recreate a new file with the same name? I remeber when i had this device it was as simple as something like this. Its been quite a while since ive owned that infuriating device, so im not quite sure if im remembering correctly.

• edited July 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I wish I could erase one Track in one or two button clicks instead of having to do a bunch of splits and lifts.

Dont you just delete "Track 1.aif" or whatever from the op1 mounted drive/folder

Yeah, the fastest way to delete only one track is to connect OP-1 to a computer.

Sometimes though I like to bring the OP-1 with me on travel or other place away from my computer, so it would be nice to have a faster method when using the OP-1 standalone.

• @Strizbiz said:

@Korakios said:

@Strizbiz said:

....and now you can use it as an audio interface for the IPad....

no you cannot . I don't know why many people assume that (it would be great if it did)
    Edit: Unless you meant as not standalone ,but in controller mode which always worked but it doesn't seem useful

Yes, in controller mode and it’s very useful if you don’t have another way to get audio into an iPad besides just recording thru the iPad mic. Also the speakers on the Live 2 sound much better. Like I said. You can use it as an Audio Interface with the IPad 🤷🏽‍♂️

What’s useful or not is up to the user 😁

They need to make this available in standalone. I'm a simpleton, but I feel this can be done. Imagine tracking to an iPad without an interface right from the MPC....

• edited July 2021

@GovernorSilver said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Dont you just delete "Track 1.aif" or whatever from the op1 mounted drive/folder

Yeah, the fastest way to delete only one track is to connect OP-1 to a computer.

Sometimes though I like to bring the OP-1 with me on travel or other place away from my computer, so it would be nice to have a faster method when using the OP-1 standalone.

Can't you replace "computer" with "phone"? I.e. Plug it into your phone and delete?

• edited July 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Can't you replace "computer" with "phone"?

When I use OP-1 standalone, I really do prefer to use it standalone.

I know I can connect it to an IOS device. I just don't feel like it. If I got it near my computer, I just the computer.

If you are asking about OP-1 with IOS devices, see for more information:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46054/op-1-software-update-adds-usb-audio

• I was referring just to delete the files.

• edited July 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I was referring just to delete the files.

Of all the times that I've used OP-1 standalone, I have never had the need to erase an entire Track. This is likely to continue for me.

i use it differently - not always standalone - when i'm at home with all the other gear, and the computer.

• I heard the MPC Retro Live 2 model button function labels wear off in time has anyone got first hand knowledge of this ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I heard the MPC Retro Live 2 model button function labels wear off in time has anyone got first hand knowledge of this ?

Let me get this straight. You're talking about the labels between the buttons or the ones on the buttons themselves?

• edited July 2021

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    I heard the MPC Retro Live 2 model button function labels wear off in time has anyone got first hand knowledge of this ?

Let me get this straight. You're talking about the labels between_p the buttons or the ones on the buttons themselves?

@GovernorSilver The button labels themselves. I believe on the black version they are LCD but on the Retro they are transfer style that wear away after a while with the LCD lights above each button label see below.

I may be wrong on this so that’s why I asked as don’t actually own any of the new models.

I own the MPC Touch which is black even thought the black rubber is a dust magnet and I would prefer the lighter retro colour if the button labels wear out after a while I prefer to stick with black as don’t want to forget what each function does.

• edited July 2021

@Jumpercollins said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Let me get this straight. You're talking about the labels between_p the buttons or the ones on the buttons themselves?

@GovernorSilver The button labels themselves. I believe on the black version they are LCD but on the Retro they are transfer style that wear away after a while with the LCD lights above each button label see below.

Thank you for the clarification.

I'm hearing the lettering on the Retro buttons might also be rubber - inlaid rubber of a contrasting color. I don't know of a credible source to confirm though.

• @Weareroses said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Millions said:

@Korakios said:

@Strizbiz said:

....and now you can use it as an audio interface for the IPad....

no you cannot . I don't know why many people assume that (it would be great if it did)

Right. You'd need a bridge that allows for 2 USB in/out.

No...you actually don’t. I have my Live 2 plugged directly into my 2020 IPad Pro. No bridge needed, just a usb cable with a usb A to Usb C adapter. And I can plug my MPK Mini into my Live 2 and play any au or built in or stand alone synth while using the Live 2 as an interface

Man bro seems like you got the knowledge. Mind if I hit you up for tips when’s my live 2 touches down?

Hmu anytime , there’s also a few MPC groups on Facebook that are really helpful , here’s a link to one I belong to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mpcgang/?multi_permalinks=1238188243278433

• edited July 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I believe the live and the X used a radxa rock2. Theres a thread on mpc forums discussing it somewhere

• I am saving for the MPC 1 and I own a MC-101. It is class compliant and it’s a funny, cool machine after I wrapped my head around it. Super capable with resampling and a slew of other functions. I’m beginning to love it. I own the Elektron Samples as well and it’s a great and capable, Elektron sounding box but it’s not as versatile as the 101 but of course they both have their place. For $300 the Election is insane as far as value. Another option in that price range are the the Sonicwares boxes. Both the 8bit and FM. They are both over the top fun and useful.

• edited July 2021

Nice link. Kinda just re-inforces what I already thought.

• edited July 2021

@ehehehe said:

@Telefunky said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Am i reading that latency correctly?

Well... it‘s a plain Linux box inside o:)

This! They seem to be way underpowered. Listening to the terrible quality of that last vocal fx update made me laugh, as do the synths. This has the power of something like an ipad from 2012, or what are even the actual specs? The screens on the newer Akai boxes feel laggy compared to ipads and the UI needs way too much touch for a HW box. Returned mine after a week. Hoping the next version will be more powerful and with alot of workflow improvements. It’s a convoluted mess as is, only recently beat by Zenbeats in my opinion. And I LOVED the 1K with jjos and really want a all-in-one box. But I won’t pay to beta test just because of slick youtube marketing.

Well , for many people an underpowered box has better workflow than an ipad with a sterile midi controller.
    Ideally ,some day, we'll see a descent controller that integrates with an ios app (like maschine, Ren/studio, push etc)

• Latency: A user on the Facebook Akai Force group ran some tests.

Force Automatically compensates recorded audio by around 8.7 ms (384 samples) (non destructively in Sample Editor)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2258970104361753/permalink/2868606723398085/

MPC and Force record and sample at 32-bit 44.1kHz. Imported samples are also converted to this bit depth and sample rate.

As far as the other sort of latency - when playing the pads to trigger samples or the drum synth, imo it 'feels' snappier to me versus the Maschine MK3's internal soundcard running the software standalone on a fast Razer gaming laptop.

• edited July 2021

@GovernorSilver said:

@Weareroses said:

At least you made a decision!

I'm stilling mulling 707 vs. MPC Live 2 Retro - not the black one - various peeps complaining about rubbery something on the black housing collecting dust, skin fragments, etc.

707 would allow deeper editing of ZenCore presets vs. 101. OTOH, MPC Live 2 Retro sounds like a more complete machine, even with Gabe's list of cons (tries too hard to be DAW, complicating the workflow, Maschine Plus still a little easier to use).

Another thing worth considering is active development. Akai have gone above and beyond with killer MPC updates since Live's release 4 years ago. Roland has a very poor track record of product support and continued development. After about 3 years, you can more or less expect Roland updates to cease. They've been doing well with ZenBeats, but their hardware is a different story.

• @ehehehe To me, there isn’t anything near a complete HW DAW out yet, and I bet we will see Logic or Ableton on ipads before it happens...

I agree , there’s nothing near a HW DAW, and I can’t understand it. Year 2021…
    My reason is AUDIO. As in Digital AUDIO Workstation. All these mpc, force, maschine+ are very limited when it comes to audio. If you can’t record multiple audio tracks, that span the whole song, it’s not a daw.
    Why are they so limited?. It’s just not justifiable.

Brings me back to this post I wrote a while back Turn iPad into a hardware device. Elektron ipad?
    The iPad has the screen, the processing power, it’s only missing the hardware control and workflow.

Special huge “missed opportunity” rice goes to Roland MV1, supposed to integrate with iPad Zenbeats but still with a 12 minute (or 6 minute stereo) audio limit… worst integration ever. iOS Zenbeats is just a touch screen for the MV1, when the MV1 should/could be a hw controller for Zenbeats. Wrong way around.

• The more I dig the more I’m convinced that the Deluge is the closest to a DAW in a box. It can handle multiple audio tracks.