Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that can create and arrange chord progressions.

2»

Comments

• @cfour said:

@cem_olcay said:

@cfour said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@cfour said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Wow, nobody has mentioned Chordbud 2 yet!?

Suggester is one of my favorites as well!

I would vote for Suggester, and vote strongly against Chordbud2 for sure. OP is "looking for app that can select and play as many chords as quickly as possible by tapping". I do not find Chordbud 2 to be useful, as tapping a chord places it on a timeline immediately without you having the option to hear it first. The only option to listen to a chord is once the chord is on the timeline, to click on that chord and then click on "preview". And then repeat the process for the next chord. If you do not like it you have to delete it from timeline and start all over again with a new chord. There is no way to quickly listen to alternative sequences of chords on the fly as you do with suggester (e.g. by just tapping different chords to see how they sound).
    I do like the other apps from Cem Olcay, and I even like how well chordbud integrates with those other apps, but without the option to quickly preview chords before adding them to a timeline I don't find it very useful (and I believe that seems to be what swiperrr is looking for).

Oh wow you’re totally right. Now that you’ve pointed that out, I remember having the same complaint.

In Suggester, one can easily preview a chord before adding it to the timeline. And chords? Suggester has them all.

But Yeah, I think if he fixed that one little thing (a way to preview the chord), then Chordbud could be a lot more useful.

I agree, I find that fixing that issue would immediately make Chordbud a great app. As it is right now, I barely use it, and mostly because it integrates so well with his other apps. As you mention, that makes Suggester so much more useful; you click and get an immediate sound on whatever chords you want to preview. Only when you are fine with a sequence you go ahead and place it on Suggester's timeline. Pity Chordbud does not function like that, it would be amazing :smile:

Actually ChordBud's workflow is pretty fast if you use the pattern functionality. You can create different chord progressions on different patterns quickly, listen them back and decide which one is better.

However, you can still benefit the "preview" function if you set the "Input behaviour when a chord is selected" option to "replace" on the settings menu, and you can audit the chords individually pretty quickly!

Thanks for your comments.

I still have to disagree. I do use "replace" option, but basically I feel that, compared to other chord apps, Chordbud kills the flow due to the extra steps needed. Suggester, tonality, etc have a simpler, faster approach.

Imagine I want to find a chord sequence. In Chordbud I need to: 1) put a chord in the timeline. Remember that I need to tap on the chord (otherwise the next chord will be added to the timeline instead of previewed). Now I can listen to other chords, but Chordbud (as opposed to other chords apps) needs to have AUM (or your DAW) playing in order to listen to the chords. So you cannot avoid for that chord to play again while you are previewing other chords if you are not fast enough. So now you need to extend the duration of the chord (which would be a hassle if you have other chords next to it). Now if you like a sequence you need to click on the chord in order to add those chords to the sequence. In other chord apps you don't need AUM to be playing unless you want to. You press a sequence of chords, listen to that, and once you like them you add them to a timeline. Done. There is really no comparison in terms of ease. The other option is having to press "preview" each time you want to hear a chord, which is really not ideal to hear how a sequence would sound.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism, I am not trying to bash the app (and I have seen this request in other discussions on this forum). As I said before, I like how well it integrates with your other apps, and I love that you have the rows to choose chords from each mode. But as it is, I find it almost unusable. It would make a gigantic difference if there was a something (visible in the main interfase, a knob, pad, button or whatever) that once pressed you could just listen to any chord from any of those rows immediately without adding them to the timeline or having to have a DAW playing.

I actually coded that feature in my first ChordBud 2 prototypes and even tweeted about it:

The switch at the bottom make you choose between the edit and play modes. :smile:
    (add to the timeline OR playback the chord)
    However it didn't work well in the AUv3 plugin.

BTW I just realized that ChordBud is almost one year old :smiley:

• @audiblevideo said:
    Suggester with ChordPad X, ChordMaps 2 record them into Atom.

How exactly would you connect them?

• @cem_olcay said:

@cfour said:

@cem_olcay said:

@cfour said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@cfour said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Wow, nobody has mentioned Chordbud 2 yet!?

Suggester is one of my favorites as well!

I would vote for Suggester, and vote strongly against Chordbud2 for sure. OP is "looking for app that can select and play as many chords as quickly as possible by tapping". I do not find Chordbud 2 to be useful, as tapping a chord places it on a timeline immediately without you having the option to hear it first. The only option to listen to a chord is once the chord is on the timeline, to click on that chord and then click on "preview". And then repeat the process for the next chord. If you do not like it you have to delete it from timeline and start all over again with a new chord. There is no way to quickly listen to alternative sequences of chords on the fly as you do with suggester (e.g. by just tapping different chords to see how they sound).
    I do like the other apps from Cem Olcay, and I even like how well chordbud integrates with those other apps, but without the option to quickly preview chords before adding them to a timeline I don't find it very useful (and I believe that seems to be what swiperrr is looking for).

Oh wow you’re totally right. Now that you’ve pointed that out, I remember having the same complaint.

In Suggester, one can easily preview a chord before adding it to the timeline. And chords? Suggester has them all.

But Yeah, I think if he fixed that one little thing (a way to preview the chord), then Chordbud could be a lot more useful.

I agree, I find that fixing that issue would immediately make Chordbud a great app. As it is right now, I barely use it, and mostly because it integrates so well with his other apps. As you mention, that makes Suggester so much more useful; you click and get an immediate sound on whatever chords you want to preview. Only when you are fine with a sequence you go ahead and place it on Suggester's timeline. Pity Chordbud does not function like that, it would be amazing :smile:

Actually ChordBud's workflow is pretty fast if you use the pattern functionality. You can create different chord progressions on different patterns quickly, listen them back and decide which one is better.

However, you can still benefit the "preview" function if you set the "Input behaviour when a chord is selected" option to "replace" on the settings menu, and you can audit the chords individually pretty quickly!

Thanks for your comments.

I still have to disagree. I do use "replace" option, but basically I feel that, compared to other chord apps, Chordbud kills the flow due to the extra steps needed. Suggester, tonality, etc have a simpler, faster approach.

Imagine I want to find a chord sequence. In Chordbud I need to: 1) put a chord in the timeline. Remember that I need to tap on the chord (otherwise the next chord will be added to the timeline instead of previewed). Now I can listen to other chords, but Chordbud (as opposed to other chords apps) needs to have AUM (or your DAW) playing in order to listen to the chords. So you cannot avoid for that chord to play again while you are previewing other chords if you are not fast enough. So now you need to extend the duration of the chord (which would be a hassle if you have other chords next to it). Now if you like a sequence you need to click on the chord in order to add those chords to the sequence. In other chord apps you don't need AUM to be playing unless you want to. You press a sequence of chords, listen to that, and once you like them you add them to a timeline. Done. There is really no comparison in terms of ease. The other option is having to press "preview" each time you want to hear a chord, which is really not ideal to hear how a sequence would sound.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism, I am not trying to bash the app (and I have seen this request in other discussions on this forum). As I said before, I like how well it integrates with your other apps, and I love that you have the rows to choose chords from each mode. But as it is, I find it almost unusable. It would make a gigantic difference if there was a something (visible in the main interfase, a knob, pad, button or whatever) that once pressed you could just listen to any chord from any of those rows immediately without adding them to the timeline or having to have a DAW playing.

I actually coded that feature in my first ChordBud 2 prototypes and even tweeted about it:

The switch at the bottom make you choose between the edit and play modes. :smile:
    (add to the timeline OR playback the chord)
    However it didn't work well in the AUv3 plugin.

BTW I just realized that ChordBud is almost one year old :smiley:

Wow that is brilliant! But if I understand correctly you had to remove it right? I do not see it on my standalone or AUV3 version. It would be so epic if you could bring that back :smiley: