Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks @Shiloh @xor and @espiegel123 ,

You guys are trailblazing here, and this setup is not something that was extensively tested during the beta.

I shall have to leave it to Blueveek to explain precisely what is going on under the hood with PC messages, as this is beyond my area of knowledge. It may well be a bug.

However, would it not be easier to simply put each Atom instance on its own MIDI track in AUM? Forgive me if there is a compelling reason not to do this, but I couldn't see one based on your original description.

Hey @tk32 , yeah it would for sure work to run independent midi channels per atom instance. I was just putting together a launcher I could run off an old iPad (TouchOSC mk1 runs on my iPad 1st gen as well as the mk2 on my iPad 4th gen), and was trying to consolidate channels for all the custom controller setups I’ve made.

There are other ways to make it work. Was just a bit perplexed as to the outcome I was getting.

• Is there a way to enter rests when you’re in ‘step in’ mode?

• @_smund said:
    Is there a way to enter rests when you’re in ‘step in’ mode?

Unfortunately no. I suggest entering some note outside the range of your wanted notes, followed by a select and then delete.

• Is there a way to trigger switch pattern and it will switch when it have played through, not instantly?

• @Shiloh said:

@tk32 said:

You guys are trailblazing here, and this setup is not something that was extensively tested during the beta.

I shall have to leave it to Blueveek to explain precisely what is going on under the hood with PC messages, as this is beyond my area of knowledge. It may well be a bug.

However, would it not be easier to simply put each Atom instance on its own MIDI track in AUM? Forgive me if there is a compelling reason not to do this, but I couldn't see one based on your original description.

Hey @tk32 , yeah it would for sure work to run independent midi channels per atom instance. I was just putting together a launcher I could run off an old iPad (TouchOSC mk1 runs on my iPad 1st gen as well as the mk2 on my iPad 4th gen), and was trying to consolidate channels for all the custom controller setups I’ve made.

There are other ways to make it work. Was just a bit perplexed as to the outcome I was getting.

I'm very happy to see you're working on a TouchOSC controller for atom. It will be much welcome by those of us who don't have a Launchpad but have older tablets lying around. I hope you solve the PC complications and I look forward to trying it when you have something to share!

• I have a Atom2 pattern change issue using Drambo(albeit for the first time :)
    There is a hung note that sometimes enters, like half the times I have tried so far. Ever get that?
    Legato is off on Moog model D, retrigger selected.
    Firs time I was able to disable the hung note just pressing the keyboard, second time it just stays, ruins the melody
    https://youtube.com/shorts/VzxV_JQmxcc?feature=share

• @_smund said:
    Is there a way to trigger switch pattern and it will switch when it have played through, not instantly?

Unfortunately no. Pattern changes are always instantaneous. Only clips can be configured to start and stop quantized to a set number of beats but even then there’s no way to guarantee that the clip actually finishes.

• edited July 2021

Please allow using backspace for deleting selected notes, arrow keys for moving selected notes.

edit: Request to expose undo / redo for MIDI mapping.

• edited July 2021

How do I get the notes to ‘Carry over’ so that if I record them outside of the endpoint of the loop, it gets added to the start?

• edited July 2021

In addition to my above comment I need some help with Launching pattern.
    Like in my another boring video here

I have placed one midi note C3 in Xequence to use Atom as a pattern launcher (I prefer Atom cuz I can record chords in it). Only problem is I seem to only get Atoms pattern to play only once, or always loop, not relaunch every time it hears the note, like it says in the description of some of the play parameters. Am I doing something wrong?
    Cheers

• @dvi said:

@Shiloh said:

@tk32 said:

I'm very happy to see you're working on a TouchOSC controller for atom. It will be much welcome by those of us who don't have a Launchpad but have older tablets lying around. I hope you solve the PC complications and I look forward to trying it when you have something to share!

@dvi I will drop a link when I switch things over to CC’s if I don’t have the same issues. It’s pretty straight forward. 8 clips launchers with 8 patterns per clip. Could very easily be made to be more clips.

• @_smund said:
    How do I get the notes to ‘Carry over’ so that if I record them outside of the endpoint of the loop, it gets added to the start?

Notes that start past the end of the loop will never be triggered. For notes that start in the loop but extend beyond its end, try loop with legato.

• @_smund said:
    In addition to my above comment I need some help with Launching pattern.
    Like in my another boring video here

I have placed one midi note C3 in Xequence to use Atom as a pattern launcher (I prefer Atom cuz I can record chords in it). Only problem is I seem to only get Atoms pattern to play only once, or always loop, not relaunch every time it hears the note, like it says in the description of some of the play parameters. Am I doing something wrong?
    Cheers

Looks like you have atom to launch with aum transport. It isn’t listening to the notes at all. Try setting the “launch note” to c3. You’ll want to compare Xequence‘s octave numbering scheme with aum’s keyboard. If the lowest C isn’t C-1 then you’ll need to mentally transpose when you configure Atom.

• @xor
    Holy hopscotch, your right! It was launching with AUM I guess. But it is set to C3 and AUM destination as source like here:

• @_smund said:
    @xor
    Holy hopscotch, your right! It was launching with AUM I guess. But it is set to C3 and AUM destination as source like here:

Set the “Launch Note” in Atom to C3

• Ah, not for the part but the app, from AUM at the bottom of the channel?
    What about what when you select launch notes for Parts like I did in the video, how does that work?
    Thanks for the help @xor

• edited July 2021

@dvi said:

@Shiloh said:

@tk32 said:

The problem persists using CC the same as using PC messages. One way I could set this up would be to use separate midi channels for each launcher and then just not worry about the 'wrapping' issue trying to keep everything on 1 channel.

Here are the TouchOSC Templates for both CC and PC setups as they stand right now. These are for the newer version of TouchOSC. I'm working on a scene launcher that I will get around to at some point.

CC - [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYylxtsAs-wacVOBUm4_TRVkJ5IwWdUc/view?usp=sharing]
    PC - [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WD3p4ymIRZQjWnAUX0cedO5K0xRDks4H/view?usp=sharing]

• @_smund said:
    Ah, not for the part but the app, from AUM at the bottom of the channel?
    What about what when you select launch notes for Parts like I did in the video, how does that work?
    Thanks for the help @xor

Here’s an example of atom sequencing atom. You can do the same with xequence sequencing atom although I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just use two atoms.

• @Shiloh said:

@dvi said:

@Shiloh said:

@tk32 said:

The problem persists using CC the same as using PC messages. One way I could set this up would be to use separate midi channels for each launcher and then just not worry about the 'wrapping' issue trying to keep everything on 1 channel.

Here are the TouchOSC Templates for both CC and PC setups as they stand right now. These are for the newer version of TouchOSC. I'm working on a scene launcher that I will get around to at some point.

CC - [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYylxtsAs-wacVOBUm4_TRVkJ5IwWdUc/view?usp=sharing]
    PC - [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WD3p4ymIRZQjWnAUX0cedO5K0xRDks4H/view?usp=sharing]

I believe that the wrapping is by design and that it is expected that you will use either different channels for differents CCs for your different launchers. I don't think that Atom is intended to be able to use different ranges of the same message for different launchers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Shiloh said:

@dvi said:

@Shiloh said:

@tk32 said:

I believe that the wrapping is by design and that it is expected that you will use either different channels for differents CCs for your different launchers. I don't think that Atom is intended to be able to use different ranges of the same message for different launchers.

No biggie either way. Just seemed that being able to set both "offset" and "spread" would have been perfectly setup to do that. I'll just go back and reconfigure those launcher templates to use different channels if anyone is interested.

• edited July 2021

@xor
    Let me continue here. I’m on a mission to at least get xequence to launch atom.

I think I did everything right this time but still no launching. Can you see in my video if I missed something guys?
    (when it’s launching a little by the end is just me pressing Playin Atom manually. Still haveny figured if I need to do that:)

• @_smund said:
    @xor
    Let me continue here. I’m on a mission to at least get xequence to launch atom.

I think I did everything right this time but still no launching. Can you see in my video if I missed something guys?
    (when it’s launching a little by the end is just me pressing Playin Atom manually. Still haveny figured if I need to do that:)

Xequence calls the lowest C C0, AUM and Atom call the same note C-1. So a C3 in xequence is a C2 in Atom. Try changing the Atom launch note to C2 and see what happens.

• Why is it not Launching my Parts?
    I’d rather like to try and learn Parts

• @_smund said:
    Why is it not Launching my Parts?
    I’d rather like to try and learn Parts

It looks like you solved it right at the end of the video and then cut off just before I could tell. The top atom wasn’t set to launch with AUM’s transport. It needs to be running before you will hear it do anything. If you would have been watching the patterns I bet you would have seen the patterns changing, they just weren’t playing.

• @Xor Bingo! I can tell you that was the un nessesariest mistake ever, just press play. I thought maybe the Atom Launching it had to activate play and forgot to test it the other way.
    Thanks guys

• edited August 2021

Hi, I just got this app. I apoligize if I missed this somehow but I got the impression that the app has midi cc automation editing now as an update in Atom 2. However I can’t seem to access this cc editing in the app, nor is it mentioned or explained in the manual (says it records but it does not show or enables editing).

Am I missing something? Thanks.

• @Helder said:
    Hi, I just got this app. I apoligize if I missed this somehow but I got the impression that the app has midi cc automation editing now as an update in Atom 2. However I can’t seem to access this cc editing in the app, nor is it mentioned or explained in the manual (says it records but it does not show or enables editing).

Am I missing something? Thanks.

It does not yet have non-note editing but it can record and play back non-note midi events.

• Thank you for your reply...that is a shame...is it coming? I really got the impression it was part of an update..

• Please excuse my ignorance but I need some forum help please. I’m trying to record chords into Atom2 using step recording by manually pressing the chord keys in Chordjam. The photos attached show the results. I have tried it with both Atom and Atom2 and I get different results.
    Atom records a C Major chord as I would hope, notes played simultaneously and at the start of bar one.
    Atom2 jumps forward to bar two and arpeggiates the notes.
    I know there will be a simple explanation for this but I am stuck and would appreciate any help.
    Cheers, Ian.

• @Helder said:
    Thank you for your reply...that is a shame...is it coming? I really got the impression it was part of an update..

Yes, such event editing is coming. Timeline unknown. There was an intense amount of development for months after Atom 2 was released (preceded by many months of intensive work) in which the developer put in a lot of work adapting the app to accommodate various workflows and feature requests some of which needed to be implemented before automation editing.

It was known at release time that cc editing would not be available till some other things happened first.