Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A2M real-time Audio to MIDI by Nilson Ltd. (Free, but with iap)

edited July 2021 in General App Discussion

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1569569145

Description:

A2M detects the pitch of the audio and converts it into the corresponding MIDI notes in real time.
Thanks to this, you can play, e.g., the guitar, saxophone, or even sing, and simultaneously trigger sounds in virtual instruments (not only AU). These acoustic (or electric) instruments, or your voice, act as a MIDI controller.

A2M comes as an AU v3 plugin and as a standalone application (which is the AU host for this one plugin).
The A2M is quite an unusual Audio Unit – it is both an audio effect and a MIDI effect. Due to its characteristics, it is something in between. On the one hand, it analyzes the input sound, just like any audio effect. On the other hand, it generates output MIDI events, just like any MIDI effect.

AU Hosts compatible with A2M Audio Unit:
• Audiobus
• AUM
• apeMatrix
A2M does not work as an AU plugin in GarageBand.
The standalone version works with all MIDI-compatible applications, including GarageBand.
The app sends MIDI events via the virtual MIDI port. The list of active and inactive MIDI ports is available in the application settings in the MIDI Settings → Outputs section.

Parameters
⁍Host
▷ Audio input buffer size
The smaller the buffer, the higher the CPU load and the lower the latency.
A buffer less than 512 should only be set if you have a strong processor.
For A2M standalone applications, the buffer size is available in the application settings under Audio Settings → Buffer Size

⁍Plugin
▷ Pitch recognition method
A2M offers two popular algorithms
• Based on autocorrelation, the beat bars proprietary method
• FFT (with parabolic interpolation)
▷ Gate Threshold and Input Gain
A2M works best when it only recognizes sounds at an appropriate volume level.
In order to eliminate unnecessary background noises, select the appropriate parameters.
▷ Latency / Accuracy
2 dashes (default) – the best compromise between accuracy and latency.
The higher the accuracy, the more of the CPU’s capacity is used and the longer the latency (as opposed to the audio buffer size settings).
▷ Velocity Gain
It allows you to select the appropriate volume of the virtual instrument itself.

Known limitations in the current version:
• No polyphony
• No pitch bending

Requirements:
• iOS 14 or later

A2M - Audio to MIDI AUv3
• Live conversion
• Two popular algorithms
• Latency under control
• Exceptionally accurate tracking
• Simple to set up and use
• Unique and innovative

Try an unconventional way of creating music.
It’s surprisingly easy!

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 14.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• edited July 2021

@White Interesting I don’t think this is the first app to give us this capability. I cant see it listed in AUM in audio or midi tracks maybe I’m going mad !

• For me this app works great!

In AUM, just hum your song and it sounds great in Pure Piano!

• @NimboStratus said:
    Try as FX

Cheers

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    For me this app works great!

In AUM, just hum your song and it sounds great in Pure Piano!

@ErrkaPetti Just tried that with Helium recording in between works a treat not sure what use I would get out of it but for happy mistakes it’s something different.

• Works well for inputting steps into Drambo and I would assume other step sequencers.

• iOS 14 required. :(

• Holy cow - just been singing into Moog Model 15. Brilliant. Others pitch to midi options are indeed available, but for simplicity of use this is fantastic. AUv3 on an audio channel FX slot in AUM, route the midi to a synth - Bingo. Look forward to trying with guitar later.

• I did a comparison with MIDI Guitar 2 and I think MG2 did a better job with the way I tested but, as said above, it might be worth it for the clean uncluttered interface. I think I pass on this one but not because I think it was bad.

• edited July 2021

Good in app manual too with clear setup instructions for different hosts. Very impressed by such good design, they’ve got my money.

eDIT: and the visual display of the note you are inputting is very useful.

• Just tried feeding in wave files from fileplayer seems to work a treat. Nice you get a few mins to try before a timer kicks in. Wouldn’t it be great if apps let you try before buy.

• edited July 2021

@Toastedghost said:
    Just tried feeding in wave files from fileplayer seems to work a treat. Nice you get a few mins to try before a timer kicks in. Wouldn’t it be great if apps let you try before buy.

Was thinking of this exactly, going to try tonight

• So much fun when used with Segments

• Interesting

• What’s time limit?

• It seems to have less latency than Midi Guitar.
    Setting the Latency/Quality fader to either of the extremes glitches everything up though.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Cubasis?

Here’s a screenshot from the manual, though it doesn’t reference Cubasis specifically:

• Just got the time cap removed. It’s good. Ideal for me actually, since I can feed it my weirdo audio loops from AUM file player and have it trigger a ‘live’ accompaniment or, better still, record a snippet into Atom 2, and shift it up a fifth or octave or two, speed up/slow down etc. Going to be using this a lot, I think.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Cubasis?

I’m guessing it should work in Cubasis3 via the Midi FX side chain.
    Won’t work in daws that don’t implement sending midi from audio tracks like Zenbeats. Same case as Midi guitar, you probably need to run standalone and do midi routing in those cases, which is not ideal since it’s only good for real time playing, not for pre-recorded tracks.

• Does it correct your humming to a chosen scale?

• @robosardine said:
    Does it correct your humming to a chosen scale?

Don’t thinks so, but that is easily remedy place Rozetta Scaler in the midi slot route A2M to Scaler and the scaler to your chosen instrument.

• I'm having a blast routing the Spacecraft 2 beta through A2M with the 'scrubber' enabled on both tracks and outputting to pure piano...instant mayhem....👍

• @enkaytee said:
    I'm having a blast routing the Spacecraft 2 beta through A2M with the 'scrubber' enabled on both tracks and outputting to pure piano...instant mayhem....👍

@enkaytee Now u let the cat out the bag Spacecraft 2 u say! Didn't know Mark was updating his app cool beans.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@enkaytee said:
    I'm having a blast routing the Spacecraft 2 beta through A2M with the 'scrubber' enabled on both tracks and outputting to pure piano...instant mayhem....👍

@enkaytee Now u let the cat out the bag Spacecraft 2 u say! Didn't know Mark was updating his app cool beans.

Oh yes ?! Great new, I love Spacecraft. I just bought it 1 month ago, so I hope I will not be charged for the upgrade... :#

• @Jumpercollins said:

@enkaytee said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/41134/spacecraft-beta/p1 - it's been a while coming, but it's going to be worth the wait...

• What's also very cool is that the IAP is transferrable to the Mac version, which is a bit more limited as a plugin (only Logic supported), but in standalone as well as feeding from a microphone or external source you can route internal audio into it via Blackhole and then run MIDI to a synth or into a DAW.

• hope will be update incl au state saving and saving presets

• @Poppadocrock said:
    What’s time limit?

3.5 minutes.

• edited July 2021

@tahiche said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Cubasis?

I’m guessing it should work in Cubasis3 via the Midi FX side chain.
    Won’t work in daws that don’t implement sending midi from audio tracks like Zenbeats. Same case as Midi guitar, you probably need to run standalone and do midi routing in those cases, which is not ideal since it’s only good for real time playing, not for pre-recorded tracks.

@LinearLineman said:
    Cubasis?

Not working in Cubasis 3.
    It’s not recognised as a Midi to FX (Midi to audio).
    And it crashes if you have it as insert on an audio track .