Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    After you get your MPC One you have options to bling it up. Get thicker pads, new faceplate, etc. That billet jog wheel looks hawt

https://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-one-spare-parts-and-accessories/

Oh my

Hey if it's you, it's you

• @tahiche said:

@muzka said:
    I had an mpc live and it's probably the most complete groovebox I've used. Could easily replace the computer as does everything.

I sold it on though because I preferred ableton and found it similar. I prefer grooveboxes that offer something different and I have the opz and polyend tracker. Both excellent

Saying that for making tracks I'd say the mpc one is best on that list

Would you say the MPC One is suitable for full songs with instruments?. I mean guitar, bass, vocals…

Yes and even more so with the update and ability to use class compliant audio interfaces

• @tahiche said:

@muzka said:
    I had an mpc live and it's probably the most complete groovebox I've used. Could easily replace the computer as does everything.

I sold it on though because I preferred ableton and found it similar. I prefer grooveboxes that offer something different and I have the opz and polyend tracker. Both excellent

Would you say the MPC One is suitable for full songs with instruments?. I mean guitar, bass, vocals…

yes but bear in mind it has no disk streaming for audio tracks ao you are pretty much limited by 2GB of maximal project size in memory (all samples including audio tracks are loaded into memory)

• @dendy said:

@tahiche said:

@muzka said:

yes but bear in mind it has no disk streaming for audio tracks ao you are pretty much limited by 2GB of maximal project size in memory (all samples including audio tracks are loaded into memory)

Yeah depends if you mean recording loops or entire 3 minutes sections.

• @Weareroses
    Before I started with IOS I was almost about to buy a Synthstrom DELUGE. Not sure if mentioned in this thread already (quickly went through it). Wonder why there is so little talk about this great hardware all in one box. Powerful sequencer. Active and supportive team that provides frequent updates requested on their forum.
    It has a unique approach getting used to with the many button shortcuts. No screen, only a few digits display, but it can do a lot.
    Love the other machines mentioned too, but IMO adding DELUGE to an IOS setup could work very symbiotically.

• The Deluge is cool but as a first piece of kit it might be a lot to take in imho.

I know i didn’t get my OctaTrack until after my Minilogue, Toraiz AS-1 and Circuit. I had to build up the knowledge to understand unique workflows.

But yes. The Deluge should be on this list 😉

• @Bob said:
    @Weareroses
    Before I started with IOS I was almost about to buy a Synthstrom DELUGE. Not sure if mentioned in this thread already (quickly went through it). Wonder why there is so little talk about this great hardware all in one box. Powerful sequencer. Active and supportive team that provides frequent updates requested on their forum.
    It has a unique approach getting used to with the many button shortcuts. No screen, only a few digits display, but it can do a lot.
    Love the other machines mentioned too, but IMO adding DELUGE to an IOS setup could work very symbiotically.

Hello fellow Deluge user. Can confirm the Deluge works super well with an iPad and solo.

I had the same question/conundrum as the OP. If I hadn’t stumbled upon an eBay auction for the Deluge I would have purchased the MPC One. (For budgetary reasons)

Watch these two and see if the MPC works for you

Tefty and Memes
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtBaQRClnla8MJ0ErUkAdUw

If you “need” the screen or the MPC style sampling get the ONE. If your looking for a battery powered all rounder that’s excellent at (and practically endless) for sequencing and arranging GET THE DELUGE

• GarageBand. No question.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    After you get your MPC One you have options to bling it up. Get thicker pads, new faceplate, etc.

!!! 🤪🥰

• I was just watching a Blezz beats (the guy cracks me up) video on the mpc 2.10 update. At one point he says that these devices (maschine, mpc…) are not a “full studio” solution, and I think I agree.
    There’s grove boxes, there’s glorified groove boxes and then there’s daws. Might be hard to set the limits between them. But to me if you can’t record a whole song, with instruments, mix and sequence, it’s not a full daw that can replace your desktop/iPad. The closest is probably the Akai force or the Deluge. The Force like the mpc has audio limitations (2gb in ram or whatever) whole the deluge can stream from disk. But the deluge has no mic inputs, and very limited connectivity… so I think there’s nothing today that can replace an iPad or desktop to reliably do a whole song. And I’d put the iPad under quotes, yes it’s powerful and you can do it all but the daws are still far from their desktop counterparts and from the power that the iPad can deliver.
    I’m not mad about being dawless , I just hate my laptop!. I can’t stand doing music (fun, hobby) with the same tool I use for work all day. Seeing the maschine+, the mpc’s , deluge and Akai force I think were almost there but haven’t nailed it yet. Zenbeats (my fav daw on iOS) is also “almost there and hasn’t nailed it yet”, but I can live with its limitations whereas I think they’d frustrate me more on a dedicated hardware device.
    Sorry for the rant…

• So far so fun...loving the new synths and effects in MPC 2.10 Update.

Here's a quick little loop:

• edited July 2021

@mistercharlie said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    After you get your MPC One you have options to bling it up. Get thicker pads, new faceplate, etc.

!!! 🤪🥰

I guess you like that look?

I'm not a wood end cheek person, myself. But it's your money.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@mistercharlie said:

@GovernorSilver said:

!!! 🤪🥰

I guess you like that look?

I'm not a wood end cheek person, myself. But it's your money.

Normally I don’t like the wooden ends, but the color combo makes the whole thing look like a 1970s sci-fi console.

• @mistercharlie said:

Normally I don’t like the wooden ends, but the color combo makes the whole thing look like a 1970s sci-fi console.

Taking another look, I'm reminded of ARP Odyssey. :)

• A good midi keyboard preferably with pads knobs and faders, and a microphone are vital.

• Taking a closer look at MPC One Retro Edition, it seems to me I could buy the regular MPC One plus the 2000XL style faceplace from MPC Stuff and still pay less than Retro Edition for a non-black look that would be more appealing to me

• Yup 😎

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Taking a closer look at MPC One Retro Edition, it seems to me I could buy the regular MPC One plus the 2000XL style faceplace from MPC Stuff and still pay less than Retro Edition for a non-black look that would be more appealing to me

that lools fucking cool ... damn this + new OS update induces horrible level of GAS in me

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Taking a closer look at MPC One Retro Edition, it seems to me I could buy the regular MPC One plus the 2000XL style faceplace from MPC Stuff and still pay less than Retro Edition for a non-black look that would be more appealing to me

@GovernorSilver Where do they sell these faceplates?

• A quickie to those with an MPC One...

Can it act as a class compliant audio-interface for the iPad/iPhone?
    The new 2.10 firmware does allow one to use external USB audio interfaces but the iPad/iOS is a 'host' and not a 'client'.

Direct digital sampling from iOS/iPadOS apps including midi would make the MPC's Auto Sampling a breeze...
    ...not to mention sampling from Spotify, YouTube etc. etc.

• The biggest problem for a dawless setup with most of these hardware stations is audio (no surprise here it’s also the biggest problem in iPad apps and daws).
    Mpc live, Force and I believe the Maschine+ aswell are limited by ram. So if you’re doing loads of vocals, guitars, etc, you’re probably screwed.
    The Roland MV1 and 707 have a 12! minute audio limit per project (that’s mono, half of that in stereo), which is ridiculous IMO. The MV1 claims to be a “complete song” solution, but that’s if you’re not going to sing or play a lot….
    That leaves us “audio heads” with units that can stream from disk, that I know of its Deluge and Octatrack. I wouldn’t say the Octatrakt is ideal for a “complete song” scenario as it’s more of an experimental-live machine. The Deluge looks extremely capable and interesting but it’s very peculiar, maybe too much, to risk it at that price point…
    I’m just waiting for the “we nailed all the midi stuff, I’m bored, let’s pay audio some attention now” moment. Should be around the corner.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@GovernorSilver Where do they sell these faceplates?

All of the mods we've discussed so far, including faceplates, are from the MPC Stuff store. There might be another store, but this is the first one I found.

https://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-one-spare-parts-and-accessories/

• I sold my mpc live to get the polyend tracker but with these new updates I’m tempted by the mpc one. GAS is such a bitch

• GAS: What will we all do when we’re forced to use what we already have ;)

• You see i do that with ableton and been using it for the last 15 years. Sadly there are always new gadgets tapping me on the shoulder offering something new and tempting. Fact is though i usually keep them a while then sell on but ableton never leaves and will probably always be my go to for making tracks. iOS apps are my new addiction, i almost miss not being able to afford apps as i rarely bought any, now its every week or two

@audiblevideo said:
    GAS: What will we all do when we’re forced to use what we already have ;)

• Trying to kid myself its all under control ;)

• edited July 2021

Looks like a MPC Keyboard Sampler is inbound in the future to add to the range. GAS is in abundance!

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/07/akai-pro-mpc-key-61-firmware-2-10-leaks-new-mpc-keyboard-sampler-workstation.html

• GAS is something aint it? I'm sliding down the path/slope that caught the other folks who now have MPC and Maschine Plus and Octatrack and MC-707.... oh yeah, and computer DAW....

• Question to MPC users is there much to gain from getting the MPC Live 2 over the MPC One apart from the battery and speaker, extra internal storage, midi connections, wifi, Bluetooth, Ableton Live integration?

I assume if Akai put stream from disc in a future update that will make the extra storage advantage go away as you could just put a big SD card in the MPC One. The storage restrictions currently would push me towards the Live 2.

I heard the MPC One may now have Ableton Live integration like it’s bigger brother and I’m not that fussed about having a speaker and I seen pictures of people using a brick to power the MPC One.

I prefer the MPC One form factor and lighter weight has anyone brought the MPC One then wishing afterwards they should of gone for the Live 2 ?

With a £350 price difference it’s a lot to chew over!

• So the MPC one is not really standalone then - glad you pointed that out I hadn’t really read the description properly.