Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How app GAS kills your creativity

Comments

• 👍🏻

• Solution: buy app. Use app. Publish track. (Preferably within two or three days from purchase to publish.) Q: What’s a manual? Reset: buy next app. Repeat.

• I think it’s just nature

• So true 👏👏👏

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I dunno, it kind of fuels me. I learned to adapt to constantly getting new stuff a few years back, and each new thing provides me an “excuse” to “stop procrastinating” and finish something. But I also no longer buy EVERYTHING like I used to. I slowed down around the time AU got big.

• All fair points but I've learnt a lot through exploring different apps. That deepening knowledge itself enables creativity so I don't think all the points are stacked on one side of the argument.

• Please don’t stop buying, dreaming, lusting for gear. The entire musical instrument industry depends on your delusion.

• @supadom said:
    Please don’t stop buying, dreaming, lusting for gear. The entire musical instrument industry depends on your delusion.

Haha yes brilliant, so true!

Got to completely agree with video unfortunately. Due to home life commitments I only get 5/6 hours a week to make music. Why then, I ask myself, do I spend so much of that time researching new gear? Mainly iOS but also hardware too...

I own over 60 iOS synths (not including ones built into DAWS and grooveboxes) and yet I obsessively check here for updates on the incoming Toneboosters synth! Crazy really. Only on a small handful of them do I know how to do much more than to change the preset...

Back years ago when Caustic (on Android) was my only option, I knew it inside out. No learning needed just making tunes.

• edited July 2021

I do love how iOS software is so fun to learn, collect and tinker with. Desktop is very functional for me and feels like a bit of a (necessary) drag that performs practical functions in the production process. I appreciate the iOS ecosystem for the pure enjoyment of simple playful experimentation. I go to iOS for 'musical relaxation' with creative interfaces (that sometimes bleeds through into actual productions).

In actual practice these days, 99% of the sounds I use are from the same 2-3 hardware synths/modules and same 2-3 guitars. I usually use Koala a bit on iOS for functional/sample prep tasks, often a little Samplr in post-production for extra pizzazz and now and then take a sample or two from an iOS synth, however it's a very 'compartmentalised' part of my actual production process rather than the core and I raaaarely add anything new to it.

• edited July 2021

“Your hobby is more about putting your synths in order rather than playing music”… this line is sooo true in my case today. And you know what?. Who cares!. For the “not so young” it’s maybe a logical and even healthy switch. I was obsessed with music, with rehearsing, with playing and recording for many, years. And there’s a point where’s it’s ok to let it go. So you switch your focus to seeing how those tools actually work, what’s new… I spend way more time in this forum than making music. Guilty as hell!.
    Before I had drive and enthusiasm, and no money to buy shit. Now I have some money and no enthusiasm, so I read manuals!.
    I’m exaggerating (or not) but you get me. Right?. It’s ok to fall to GAS. In fact right now I feel guilty as hell as I just bought the Fabfilter pack (it’s on sale). You know, it’s really pro and I need it cos… I don’t need it!. The good thing about iOS apps is that they are a decent GAS outlet and a lot cheaper.
    That said, if I’m set to put out a record or a set of songs, I’ll stick to a few apps, gear and workflow. Cohesion is important.
    When I was 20 and poor(er) I despised and scorned the “old” dudes rehearsing next door, with their shiny vintage amps, 2000€ guitars and amazing pedal collection. All that gear to do some shitty cover songs!. I’m the old dude now, that’s liiife. Here’s a thought for a political program… lend those young and enthusiastic young guys some money. Finance their pedals and gear so they have access while they most need it. They can pay it back later when they have a job and no time and energy to be obsessed about making music. Plus you might be an older guy with some vintage equipment… win win!.