Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

This is all Gavinskis fault - Beatcutter experiment gone wrong! šŸ¤¬šŸ˜”šŸ˜©

J/K @Gavinski ā¤ļø

So I get home tonight and fire up the old iPad and see the thread about SoundSAW and was reminded of Beatcutter and ended up watching the 30 min long video Gav posted.

I decided that I wanted to try Beatcutter by sticking it in the end of one of my current Drambo projects. I actually got it to light up which surprised me. But that was about itā€¦

Anyway, I put a lot of thought into this piece beforehand, I hope toying around with Beatcutter doesnā€™t take away from it.

See video description for more info!

And with the obligatory follow up GeoSWAM tenor sax track

Comments

• I can't say it takes away from it because I'm not even sure what Beatcutter is doing. I will say though that based on what I've heard this is the most pleasant, subtle and controlled used of Beatcutter I've heard. Most of what I've heard sounds like a beat thrown into a blender set to pulverise.

• @Gavinski has a lot to answer for.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    @Gavinski has a lot to answer for.

I'm passing the buck back to Igor!

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@Edward_Alexander lol. I didn't really hear BeatCutter doing anything noticeable here, did you?!

• @Gavinski said:

@Edward_Alexander lol. I didn't really hear BeatCutter doing anything noticeable here, did you?!

Nothing.. I couldnā€™t get it to make any sound
    at all.

As I mentioned, I got it to light up, but that was about it. Iā€™ll be looking into Beatcutter more today.

• I do want to learn more about this ā€œBeat Cuttingā€ (said with an English accent)

• @Edward_Alexander try this onā€¦.

• I blame @Gavinski for most things

• @onerez said:
    @Edward_Alexander try this onā€¦.

Thanks, Thatā€™s the video I watched last night. Really informative!

Iā€™ll have to go back and figure out what the missing link is, and why Iā€™m not getting any sound out of it.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Gavinski said:

at all.

As I mentioned, I got it to light up, but that was about it. Iā€™ll be looking into Beatcutter more today.

Did you set any triggers? You only seem to have one trigger bus active (the red ones) and thatā€™s only lighting up very infrequently.

• @Edward_Alexander I bought Beatcutter last night and have watched the vids, read the quick start in the manual and...
    After around 6 hours of using it I had about 20 minutes of audio.. then my knuckle accidentally made contact with something and I reset everything.
    Well, you know, silence is golden and all that...

• Also, @celtic_elk contributed great tips and advice in another thread. I read this quote around 5 times trying to understand it and sadly couldnā€™t. Then I read the last sentence and realised Iā€™m in too deep.

ā€œ The realization that made this app start to make sense for me is this: each cell is a dynamically-triggered sampler. Each of the buses represent a stage in the sample/playback process: the input bus defines the sound source for a cell, the trigger bus defines the conditions for recording (trigger conditions, sample length), the control bus defines important aspects of playback (pitch, direction, how many times a cell plays before it empties, whether its first playback is delayed for one or more cycles), the sequence bus triggers playback (and can contribute to sampling as well, depending on how you set the trigger bus), and the output bus (which has two pages, one for effects/filtering and one for level/pan/EQ) handles downstream processing when a cell is played. Each trigger bus records no more than one cell when it fires; each sequence bus plays no more than one cell when it fires.

It gets complicated from there, obviously, but thatā€™s the basic setup.ā€

šŸ˜šŸ˜« l love those of you who can figure these things out.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I blame @Gavinski for most things

šŸ˜‚

@MarkH @rud
    Still tinkering around today. I think I got a little further in understanding whatā€™s going on, and I can get sound out of it now, just nothing too musical. Definitely an app for experimentations!

@Gavinski said:

at all.

Its all in triggers, filling the cells is only part of the process
    Great track though and well composed.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gavinski said:

at all.

Itā€™s pretty cool visually when all the cells and trigger lines start populating.

Thank you!

@Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gavinski said:

at all.

Itā€™s pretty cool visually when all the cells and trigger lines start populating.

Thank you!

The sensetivity was too high on your triggers so the cells once fired could not refire, I believe, if that makes sense.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gavinski said:

at all.

Thank you!

The sensetivity was too high on your triggers so the cells once fired could not refire, I believe, if that makes sense.

Yes, that looks like the most likely explanation. It's important to make sure the triggers lines are not all going up to the top all the time. No doubt it is a confusing and complicated app til you get your head around it. Frankly, a better manual would have helped immensely.

• Iā€™ll be honest, every time I go back and try to use it I can only get audio out of it half the time. Still in the worst app hall of fame for me. Luckily, the dev has made a couple of others in the good hall of fame.

• @oat_phipps I had another crack at it tonight. Actually got some sound out of it, albeit not very musical sound, but sound nonethelessā€¦

@Toastedghost @Gavinski

Thanks for the tip about the sensitivity setting!

@oat_phipps I had another crack at it tonight. Actually got some sound out of it, albeit not very musical sound, but sound nonethelessā€¦

@Toastedghost @Gavinski

You have passed the first hurdle and got sound getting it to sound more musical is another set of hurdles but it still can be accomplished. Personaly I use Beatcutter as either an ambient texture creator or a techno pattern maker.
    My tips are experiment with other effects added to Beatcutter like Blackhole or Mixbox. The sharp glithes often need taming. After these added effect I sometimes place an Enso and keep hitting record til I find a section I like and then often save that sample or use it live with a drumtrack, Hammerhead or DrumComputer seem best suited for the task. Gauss would also make a good recorder. Ensoā€™s or Gausses can be turn off and on til you find something interesting. Try original with BC on its own with either one input or one wave file. Start with a blank template and then experiment by increasing the templates individual parameters.
    Rinse and repeat.
    Soundformore also has some great tutorials in easy swallow episodes.
    Hope this helps.
    You are a great musician and I am sure you can tease some intering results out of Beatcutter.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @oat_phipps I had another crack at it tonight. Actually got some sound out of it, albeit not very musical sound, but sound nonethelessā€¦

@Toastedghost @Gavinski

You have passed the first hurdle and got sound getting it to sound more musical is another set of hurdles but it still can be accomplished. Personaly I use Beatcutter as either an ambient texture creator or a techno pattern maker.
    My tips are experiment with other effects added to Beatcutter like Blackhole or Mixbox. The sharp glithes often need taming. After these added effect I sometimes place an Enso and keep hitting record til I find a section I like and then often save that sample or use it live with a drumtrack, Hammerhead or DrumComputer seem best suited for the task. Gauss would also make a good recorder. Ensoā€™s or Gausses can be turn off and on til you find something interesting. Try original with BC on its own with either one input or one wave file. Start with a blank template and then experiment by increasing the templates individual parameters.
    Rinse and repeat.
    Hope this helps.
    You are a great musician and I am sure you can tease some intering results out of Beatcutter.

Thank you for this!

I love the Enso or Gauss idea (I own both)

Yeah, I guess I need to slow down and try experimenting with a single audio lane and a blank template.

@Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Toastedghost @Gavinski

Rinse and repeat.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you for this!

Yeah, I guess I need to slow down and try experimenting with a single audio lane and a blank template.

I would recommend starting with a drone sound in one channel and just working with that. That way you can hear very very clearly what is happening.

• @Gavinski said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Toastedghost said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Toastedghost @Gavinski

Rinse and repeat.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you for this!

I would recommend starting with a drone sound in one channel and just working with that. That way you can hear very very clearly what is happening.

Thanks, this is definitely an app for experimentations. I appreciate the tips!

• edited July 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:

And with the obligatory follow up GeoSWAM tenor sax track

Iā€™ll be revisiting this piece soon, armed with my new M1 IPP.

I can do MUCH better with that sax track anyway!

(I think I recorded this late at night on the couch while trying to balance my 11ā€ IPP with one hand and GeoShredding with the other.)

Laying the iPad flat on the desk or table is the way to do it. That or I can use my Launchpad Pro MK3. Either way, a much better Sax track is in order!

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve quite gotten my point across just yetā€¦

• @rud said:
    Also, @celtic_elk contributed great tips and advice in another thread. I read this quote around 5 times trying to understand it and sadly couldnā€™t. Then I read the last sentence and realised Iā€™m in too deep.

ā€œ The realization that made this app start to make sense for me is this: each cell is a dynamically-triggered sampler. Each of the buses represent a stage in the sample/playback process: the input bus defines the sound source for a cell, the trigger bus defines the conditions for recording (trigger conditions, sample length), the control bus defines important aspects of playback (pitch, direction, how many times a cell plays before it empties, whether its first playback is delayed for one or more cycles), the sequence bus triggers playback (and can contribute to sampling as well, depending on how you set the trigger bus), and the output bus (which has two pages, one for effects/filtering and one for level/pan/EQ) handles downstream processing when a cell is played. Each trigger bus records no more than one cell when it fires; each sequence bus plays no more than one cell when it fires.

It gets complicated from there, obviously, but thatā€™s the basic setup.ā€

šŸ˜šŸ˜« l love those of you who can figure these things out.

You're spot on, mate. OTOH, this has got to be the best thread in the forum, at least in terms of entertainment value. I dare anyone to read it without laughing out loud at least a couple of times. šŸ‘Œ

Igor is a bloody genius but also the ultimate purveyor of hopeless desperation. :)

• @ervin itā€™s great isnā€™t it? I agree about Igor and Iā€™m glad I have BeatCutter, I use it every day now to get away from thinking about chords. I think the video Iā€™ve attached kinda sums it upā€¦