Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I need an iPad interface

abfabf
edited July 2021 in General App Discussion

I'm searching for an audio/MIDI interface for iPad Air v3 (lightning port) that is NOT bus powered. I want to be able to record an electric guitar, overdub a vocal, then overdub a stereo synth. I would also like the ability to direct monitor.

There is a Zoom U-24 which can be battery powered. I understand when two sources are input they sum to mono for monitoring. Still, workable I think.

There is the IK Duo. I don't know how well it fits my criteria. I see that direct monitoring is a switch, so no way to blend the input source with the iPad sound while recording?

There is the Roland Rubix 44. Maybe more than I need, but it has what I want. But it gets bad reviews for stability.

More inputs and outputs would be fine. But I don't need fancy routing, and I don't want to HAVE to use software to get it working (RME, new Steinberg UR-RT).

What else is there? I don't care about included software, and I could spend up to $600 (but less is better) as long as it's a good product. Please help and thank you for any suggestions!

Comments

• edited July 2021

I think that the Scarlett 8i6 fits the bill (lower-specced Scarletts are bus-powered). You can set up fancy routings with their software, but it's definitely not required. It does seem like it has much more than you need feature-wise, like the Rubix 44 you mentioned, but I haven't seen any negative reviews regarding stability.

• @abf said:
    There is a Zoom U-24 which can be battery powered. I understand it doesn't really record to stereo and when two sources are input they sum to mono for monitoring. Still, workable I think.

You scared me there for a moment. Then I realized the one I had my eyes on was the U-44
    Wouldn't it fit what you want better?

• @abf said:
    I'm searching for an audio/MIDI interface for iPad Air v3 (lightning port) that is NOT bus powered. I want to be able to record an electric guitar, overdub a vocal, then overdub a stereo synth. I would also like the ability to direct monitor.

There is a Zoom U-24 which can be battery powered. I understand it doesn't really record to stereo and when two sources are input they sum to mono for monitoring. Still, workable I think.

There is the IK Duo. I don't know how well it fits my criteria. I see that direct monitoring is a switch, so no way to blend the input source with the iPad sound while recording?

There is the Roland Rubix 44. Maybe more than I need, but it has what I want. But it gets bad reviews for stability.

More inputs and outputs would be fine. But I don't need fancy routing, and I don't want to HAVE to use software to get it working (RME, new Steinberg UR-RT).

What else is there? I don't care about included software, and I could spend up to $600 (but less is better) as long as it's a good product. Please help and thank you for any suggestions!

I have the Zoom U24 and it works great. I was unaware that it doesn't record in stereo which sounds strange but it for sure does monitor in mono.
    I'd stay away from the IK duo. Those preamps and outputs are very harsh. I returned mine as it had the worst sound quality from the other interfaces I have.

• edited July 2021

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@abf said:

I have the Zoom U24 and it works great. I was unaware that it doesn't record in stereo which sounds strange but it for sure does monitor in mono.
    I'd stay away from the IK duo. Those preamps and outputs are very harsh. I returned mine as it had the worst sound quality from the other interfaces I have.

I think like the Focusrites the Zoom will record stereo but you can only get a mono sum when directly monitoring the input signal (monitoring the input + iPad audio output, eg a full mix, should be in stereo. Not for sure, but I went with a cheapie Presonus because of the addition of MIDI [bus-powered though, so I understand that eliminates it] and it’s the same way).

Agreed with skipping the IK stuff. And I’ll be honest, Apogee didn’t give me anything sound-quality wise over the cheapo Presonus I got. I was surprised. The price difference, in my opinion, is just not worth it. If you’re gonna go big bucks, go with Universal Audio Apollo (if it’s reliable with iPad, I honestly don’t know).

• Centrance MixerFace R4

• +1 for the Zoom U-24 from me, love this thing.

• Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply.

The Centrance interfaces look beautiful but unfortunately don't have MIDI connections. The Scarlett 8i6 looks really nice but I think it relies on software for set up. That's one thing that the Roland Rubix had going for it- everything you need to adjust is right on the unit. I just saw too many negative reviews to feel safe to buy it.

I think I'm going to get the Zoom U-24. It does record stereo, I believe, but you can't direct monitor in stereo. That's not a deal breaker. It looks nice and simple, I hope it sounds ok. Now I'm going to shop for guitar amp sims for iPad :)

• @oat_phipps said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@abf said:

I think like the Focusrites the Zoom will record stereo but you can only get a mono sum when directly monitoring the input signal (monitoring the input + iPad audio output, eg a full mix, should be in stereo. Not for sure, but I went with a cheapie Presonus because of the addition of MIDI [bus-powered though, so I understand that eliminates it] and it’s the same way).

Agreed with skipping the IK stuff. And I’ll be honest, Apogee didn’t give me anything sound-quality wise over the cheapo Presonus I got. I was surprised. The price difference, in my opinion, is just not worth it. If you’re gonna go big bucks, go with Universal Audio Apollo (if it’s reliable with iPad, I honestly don’t know).

None of UAs stuff works on iPad and I really really wish it did. The Antelope Zen Go might be a nice substitute tho as it’s class compliant

• If you're okay with using a mixer-type interface, Tascam Model 12 looks promising.

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_12/top

Apparently, it's bigger than the candidates though.

• Another +1 for the U24.

are you sure it sums to mono? I will try it later if I get a chance but I’m sure I’ve never noticed that.

In the manual there is no mention of summing to mono. It does say it uses Line 1 to monitor the audio coming from the iPhone/ipad/Mac but that’s a stereo pair.

Lino to manual: https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_U-24_0.pdf

• MOTU Ultralite mk5

• Ooooh that Motu is nice.
    Hey klownshed, thanks for that link. The U-24 manual doesn't go into much detail about direct monitoring. I hope I'm wrong about it, the information about direct monitoring being mono came from several forum posts online. I hope it is user error. I ordered one so I'll find out in a week or so and post back in this thread.

• @abf said:
    Ooooh that Motu is nice.
    Hey klownshed, thanks for that link. The U-24 manual doesn't go into much detail about direct monitoring. I hope I'm wrong about it, the information about direct monitoring being mono came from several forum posts online. I hope it is user error. I ordered one so I'll find out in a week or so and post back in this thread.

The Zoom U-24 definitely does not sum the inputs passed through to USB. The two inputs are even available as distinct sources on the iPad or computer.

When direct monitoring, it sums the inputs. This has no impact on recording.

I'd suggest editing the original post to clarify that -- otherwise there will be yet another post saying the Zoom U-24 doesn't record stereo. Such posts had me questioning whether to get one but eventually I found a definitive post on the subject.

• @espiegel123 said:

@abf said:
    Ooooh that Motu is nice.

The Zoom U-24 definitely does not sum the inputs passed through to USB. The two inputs are even available as distinct sources on the iPad or computer.

I'd suggest editing the original post to clarify that -- otherwise there will be yet another post saying the Zoom U-24 doesn't record stereo. Such posts had me questioning whether to get one but eventually I found a definitive post on the subject.

I think maybe somebody on one of those other forums (that didn’t even own the U24) tried to be clever and misunderstood the manual, perhaps thinking “Line 1” was a mono input when Zoom actually refer to Line 1 and Line 2 as stereo outputs.

It’s funny how incorrect facts on forums get repeated as fact so frequently.

• @klownshed said:

@espiegel123 said:

@abf said:
    Ooooh that Motu is nice.

I think maybe somebody on one of those other forums (that didn’t even own the U24) tried to be clever and misunderstood the manual, perhaps thinking “Line 1” was a mono input when Zoom actually refer to Line 1 and Line 2 as stereo outputs.

It’s funny how incorrect facts on forums get repeated as fact so frequently.

When I was researching, there were so many posts in various fora (including here) that misstated the situation that I almost didn't get mine (I was skeptical that it would have such an egregious flaw based on other Zoom gear I own and the number of accomplished recordist using it) --but I eventually found a definitive post that include Zoom's signal flow diagram.

At the price I got it ($99), it was a great deal. I haven't compared it directly to a MOTU unit, but it is quiet and transparent.

• @espiegel123 said:

@abf said:
    Ooooh that Motu is nice.

Edited. Thanks, everyone for the information and clarifications. Can the Zoom record to one stereo file from both inputs, or is that a decision made in the DAW?

So the Zoom U-24 does record to stereo, the playback is stereo, but direct monitoring is mono.
    The package arrives next week sometime, I'm looking forward to it!

• edited July 2021

Hey @abf check out the M-Audio AIR line. I have the 192|6 and it's been great. Bus powered, 2 audio in, 2 out, full size Midi I/O usb c or 3, low latency, no software needed, convenient switch between usb and direct monitor.

Worth checking out IMO, but also you can upgrade to the 192|14 with your budget though... but that model requires external power.

• Ok, thanks DatGood. I'll check it out now.

• @abf said:

@espiegel123 said:

@abf said:
    Ooooh that Motu is nice.

Edited. Thanks, everyone for the information and clarifications. **Can the Zoom record to one stereo file from both inputs, or is that a decision made in the DAW? **

That is dependent on your host/DAW.

• Has anyone tried the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK? 14 in 12 out via usb….$550 USD

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/signature-12-mtk

• It needs a driver (see bottom of specs), so it‘s unlikely to work as a multichannel device.

• edited July 2021

I am using the Steinberg ur 22 MK 2. Records at 24bits and 192 khz midi in out two instrument inputs and the option to power from dc outlet rather than bus

I cant speak for stereo recording but I believe so :) hope this is helpful 🙏

• Wtf. Srry for the middle pic. Damn iphone be selecting unintentional gallery items all the damn time 🤬🤬

• haha
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look.

• edited July 2021

@Maxxabstract said:
    I am using the Steinberg ur 22 MK 2. Records at 24bits and 192 khz midi in out two instrument inputs and the option to power from dc outlet rather than bus

I cant speak for stereo recording but I believe so :) hope this is helpful 🙏

I have the same unit. It definitely records in stereo in any DAW, but for direct monitoring it sums the input signals to mono. It’s annoying when you connect a stereo hardware synth (like I do) to its inputs and you want to direct monitor it for any reason.
    However the new version of this unit (UR-22C) can do stereo monitoring as well.

• I use the Keith McMillen K-Mix. It’s a tiny box with touch sliders and knobs, 8-in, 10-out. It’s pretty great, although there are a couple of things to note:

• Not much headroom. Presumably because it’s USB powered. You’ll have to use the trim controls to set the input gain quite low. No problem in normal use, but not good for modular.

• Some settings (USB pre/post on both inputs and outputs) require the desktop app. Almost everything else can be done on the unit.

It can be bus-powered, or powered by a separate USB power supply.

• I use an Evo 8 build quality is not metal but fits my workflow and sounds pristine. Just wanted to add as an option. No midi connectivity though.