Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad cpu high performance threshold

Hi,

Hope everybody is doing great.

I have a question, I can't seem to find an answer to in previous threads.

I have noticed there's a sort of threshold, when being crossed, it's forcing the iPad in peak performance.

For instance, my project in AUM is stuttering at 100% DSP load, when I push the cpu even harder by decreasing the buffer from 128 to 64 and up the sample rate from 48 kHz to 96 kHz, the DSP load reduces to 40/50%, smooth sailing from here on out.

I understand the iPad initially will perform in a way which will endure the battery performance, since the iPad is hooked up to a power supply anyway, I was wondering is there a way to have the iPad perform at maximum capacity always.

I'm using an iPad Air 3 with iPadOS 13.

Looking forward.

All the best from Rotterdam, Netherlands...

Mark

Comments

• Bump, anyone any insights?

• Hi there !
    As you mentioned the load is allocated on the efficiency cores (A12) and not the performance one. You have to add a more taxing plugin to move the load to the performance core. Someone mentioned the RE-1 delay on an empty channel so that you can achieve this.

• Thans, jazzmess!

I was hoping for a setting in iPadOS rather than a work arround.

Ah well, al is good.

Best,

Mark

• Are you still on iOS13? I'm wondering because Apple has done some changes in the audio threading. When I've looked at the threading under iOS 14.5 and 15, I haven't seen any audio processing happening on an efficiency core.

• I stand corrected ! Thanks Neon :smile:

• @jazzmess said:
    I stand corrected ! Thanks Neon :smile:

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't. It might still. I'm just saying I haven't seen it. I'm wondering if it still does.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@jazzmess said:

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't. It might still. I'm just saying I haven't seen it. I'm wondering if it still does.

Just curious how you’re monitoring what cores are in use and what not. Sounds fascinating!

• @animalelder said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@jazzmess said:

Just curious how you’re monitoring what cores are in use and what not. Sounds fascinating!

The Instruments tool from Xcode. It has a lot of different tools for profiling code performance and memory usage/leaks in your own code that are very useful. But one of the tools it has is a "System Trace" that lets you look at all of the threading and such that is going on in the entire OS. So, you can use it to trace threading going on in other applications and in the OS and drivers.

Instruments is a really useful tool and is done very well.

• edited July 2021

Thanks for these insights, Neon!

Yes, I’m still on 13, always very reluctant with updates :smile:
    Should I update?

Best, Mark