Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

Comments

• @Proppa said:
    @Weareroses one consideration: the MPC One has a Big touchscreen that might feel a lot (too much?) like “another ipad” in use UI-wise.

This might be desirable but if you’re wanting a Fully different experience from iPad and touchscreens a Novation Rhythm (or Tracks) could be a solid contrast to iPad while being able to load it with iPad-sourced audio.

Disclaimer: I’ve not used an MPC One but have a Novation Circuit OG and find its uniqueness and screen-lessness to be very therapeutic and productive.

I was thinking the touch screen would do either of two things make me comfortable for editing purposes. But then like you said, do I want to get away from an iPad feel? And that’s kinda what I want. So many something else may be good for me lol it’s so hard to decide

• edited July 2021

Where's echoopera?

Dude has a bunch of the grooveboxes listed in this thread.

Thanks to posts from him and others who own multiple grooveboxes, I have a better understanding why they buy more than one. It's not just simple GAS. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Polyend Tracker for example has a good tracker workflow but MIDI sync has always been a weakness, although it's reportedly improved over time.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Where's echoopera?

Thanks to posts from him and others who own multiple grooveboxes, I have a better understanding why they buy more than one. It's not just simple GAS. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Polyend Tracker for example has a good tracker workflow but MIDI sync has always been a weakness, although it's reportedly improved over time.

From the list the MPC One is the best option.

However, for the price the Digitakt is also nice (your hardware version of Drambo) 😉

I also own the PolyEndTracker and Maschine+ which i love.

• @echoopera said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Where's echoopera?

However, for the price the Digitakt is also nice (your hardware version of Drambo) 😉

Thanks for this.

Yeah I’m leaning toward the mpc one. However the digitakt looks like an amazing piece of equipment.
    I know once I start imma build a collection... just need to start collecting.
    Bits of me feel like I should start cheap with something like the electron model sample...
    but then again the more I watch of the mpc one, it can really do a lot.

• edited July 2021

@Weareroses said:

@echoopera said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Where's echoopera?

Thanks for this.

Yeah I’m leaning toward the mpc one. However the digitakt looks like an amazing piece of equipment.
    Bits of me feel like I should start cheap with something like the electron model sample...

The MPC One is the most complete from your list. Works excellent stand alone and works even better when paired with an iPad.

Here are a few pieces I’ve done using the MPC One stand alone and with the iPad.

Embedded YouTube Playlist:

Had a really fun time with this track and setup:

• @echoopera said:

@Weareroses said:

@echoopera said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Where's echoopera?

Thanks for this.

The MPC One is the most complete from your list. Works excellent stand alone and works even better when paired with an iPad.

Here are a few pieces I’ve done using the MPC One stand alone and with the iPad.

Embedded YouTube Playlist:

Had a really fun time with this track and setup:

That little houses joint is really dope!
    Thanks for those! It seems like it would work for me quite well. I’d have to figure out how to set everything up, watched a few videos I think I could understand it all.

Thanks for the videos!

• @Weareroses Sure thing. Just hit me up when you get yours if you have any questions. Here to help 👊🏼™️

• edited July 2021

@Jocphone said:
    I don't own anything on your list but am on a similar journey. Bought a Maschine+, thinking it would satisfy every need. Found it uninspiring. Added a couple of desktop synths. Eventually plumped for the Digitakt.

Really pleased with it and especially how it works seamlessly with the iPad using just a USB lead. Also, the small size of the digitakt really works for me. Need to put my earlier purchases up for sale because this one's a keeper!

Good luck choosing.

What was it about the Maschine+ that didn't light your fire? I am thinking about trying one but it's a lot of money. Sure you get a lot for that money but you could buy a lot of other stuff with that pile of cash.

What is it about the Digitakt that you enjoy? When did you start with this whole thing, making music, if you don't mind me asking?

@GovernorSilver said:
    If you're into deeper synth patching/editing, you may need Zenology/Zenology Pro, which is Roland's official sound editor for all ZenCore products. Or you can get a MC-707 and use that as your deep editor. Some peeps out there use a 707 for deep editing and workstation-ish stuff, and export projects to 101 for playing out.

I absolutely love the Zenology soft synth. So so good insomuch as the interface is very easy to work with.

• edited July 2021

@echoopera
    I also own the PolyEndTracker

I have one question. I think you have also Digitakt or Digitone (or you haven't ?). One thing really interests me - Is it possible to connect Digitakt/Digitone with Polyend Tracker the way, that wen you change pattern on Digi, it switches pattern also on Polyend ?

It definitely works that way with Circuit (switching pattern on Digi switches scene on Circuit), but i'm curious if it works also with Polyend ...

• @ashh said:

@Jocphone said:
    I don't own anything on your list but am on a similar journey. Bought a Maschine+, thinking it would satisfy every need. Found it uninspiring. Added a couple of desktop synths. Eventually plumped for the Digitakt.

Really pleased with it and especially how it works seamlessly with the iPad using just a USB lead. Also, the small size of the digitakt really works for me. Need to put my earlier purchases up for sale because this one's a keeper!

Good luck choosing.

What was it about the Maschine+ that didn't light your fire? I am thinking about trying one but it's a lot of money. Sure you get a lot for that money but you could buy a lot of other stuff with that pile of cash.

Let me start by saying it’s a great bit of kit with amazing software built in to it. Sounds amazing and is built to a really high standard. All the controls are really well made, solid and responsive and the screens are large and clear.
    I watched Stimming’s review of it again recently and his summary is spot on.

For me, the main issues revolved around the feeling of it being a computer in a box. Quite a big box too. Because everything is tied together, inside this box, to Native Instrument’s idea of how to make music, I found that I was scrabbling around too much, in order to work out how to make the noises that would please me. Although it is far from a presets machine, that is how it felt. Sound design on the synths is a bit limited and laborious because of the multiple pages you have to scroll through before you find the setting that lines up with one of the knobs.

What is it about the Digitakt that you enjoy? When did you start with this whole thing, making music, if you don't mind me asking?

I have coveted the Elektron boxes for a good few years but always put myself off by reading the bad reviews. After being disappointed by the Maschine+ (And, ahem, a few other little purchases), I thought sod it and pushed the buy button on a Digitakt.

On paper, it has a lot of limitations compared to the other box, but it just feels focussed and well designed. More of an instrument that I can learn to play. It is complex in places but feels like all the parts fit together. The ease of use with the iPad is something else. Just plug the one USB lead, with CCK, between the two and the iPad feels like an extension of the DT. The audio appears immediately, can sample immediately, pass the audio from the DT through Audiobus or AUM, sequence iOs synths from the DT, just amazing.

How long? About 40 years. Still just getting started :lol:

• After watching more videos and reading what everyone has to say, I think I’m going to go with the mpc one or the Akai force. They both fit my needs and after watching demo videos, I can understand them both clearly.
    Mpc one has the slight edge for the better song-mode in my opinion. Does anyone have both of these or used both of these?

• edited July 2021

@Weareroses said:
    After watching more videos and reading what everyone has to say, I think I’m going to go with the mpc one or the Akai force. They both fit my needs and after watching demo videos, I can understand them both clearly.
    Mpc one has the slight edge for the better song-mode in my opinion. Does anyone have both of these or used both of these?

Another plus on the MPC One is the form factor. The Akai Force is insanely large and not very portable in my opinion when combining it with an iPad or a small footprint setup.

If you live in the US, try to see them at your local Guitar Center. I like the idea of the Force, but the form factor doesn’t allow me to bring it into my setup at home.

• @echoopera said:

@Weareroses said:
    After watching more videos and reading what everyone has to say, I think I’m going to go with the mpc one or the Akai force. They both fit my needs and after watching demo videos, I can understand them both clearly.

Another plus on the MPC One is the form factor. The Akai Force is insanely large and not very portable in my opinion when combining it with an iPad or a small footprint setup.

If you live in the US, try to see them at your local Guitar Center. I like the idea of the Force, but the form factor doesn’t allow me to bring it into my setup at home.

Big decision maker factor is to have it at home and be able to have it portable if I gotta take it somewhere… I mean a live 2 is looking great, but that price point is a little too steep for me… I’m about 65% sure imma get the mpc one. Unless I swallow my wallet if you will and get the live 2 lol

• @echoopera said:

What inspires you to choose a particular groovebox for a given day, when you decide to make music?

Or do just have a rotation going?

• @ashh said:
    I have a Polyend Tracker that's definitely my favourite groovebox thing right now.

I keep coming back to this. Sold an OP-1 a few months ago, and - with a digitone keys and a maschine mk3 - I have an embarrassment of riches. But the Tracker would force me to make music in a way I’ve never tried before. AND it has a song mode. How long have you had it? And what’s your favourite thing about it?

• @ashh said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    If you're into deeper synth patching/editing, you may need Zenology/Zenology Pro, which is Roland's official sound editor for all ZenCore products. Or you can get a MC-707 and use that as your deep editor. Some peeps out there use a 707 for deep editing and workstation-ish stuff, and export projects to 101 for playing out.

I absolutely love the Zenology soft synth. So so good insomuch as the interface is very easy to work with.

I got the free 1-year subscription to Zenology Pro as part of a promo that Roland ran this past winter. If you bought a ZenCore product during a certain time period and registered it, you get Zenology Pro, Roland Cloud, etc.

I have about half a year left on it. Plenty of time to decide if I want to renew the subscription, buy 707 so use as a hardware sound editor, big bro workstation to the 101, or do neither and just use the 101 as a preset playing machine. I have no shame at all just using presets and only tweaking minor things like wet-dry mix. I think I've downloaded at least 20 soundpacks for 707/101 off of Roland Cloud and will probably end up downloading 50 more before the subscription runs out, because there's all those packs for Jupiter 8 and whatnot that don't run on 707/101 but can run as AU/VST plugins in my DAW. That adds up to 1000s of presets to choose from.

• We're in the 2nd golden age of grooveboxes.
    But, I'd still like to see Yamaha jump back in since their MIDI editing and sampler/loop remix tricks were standouts. Add Elektron step sequencing, trig conditions, parameter locks, sound locks, and sample mangling/automation, Roland's massive sound library, Akai's MPC/DAW-in-a-box, Poly Effects Beebo modular effects...

With all that said, I believe an MPC Live 2 and an iPad Pro with AUM, apeMatrix, Audiobus, Drambo, miRack, and a ton of AU synths and effects is a powerful compact portable battery-powered all-in-one solution. Akai is working on class-compliant USB audio. (Roland and Elektron already have it, but the Akais have a ton more MIDI tracks and LINK).

• @GovernorSilver said:

@echoopera said:

What inspires you to choose a particular groovebox for a given day, when you decide to make music?

Or do just have a rotation going?

Honestly nothing in particular. Just settle on a box for a few weeks and see where it takes me.

• Absolute crime the Deluge isn't on that original poll!

• Maschine + or Maschine

• @Thelast27 said:
    Absolute crime the Deluge isn't on that original poll!

Sorry, I didn’t do enough research I guess. The deluge looks legit too. There is just so many.

• I’m very interested in this too and have done quite some research.
    I’d vote Maschine+ or Akai Force. The Force feels tooo big for sofa usage, so I’m thinking Maschine+…

• I own a Digitakt, highly recommended and loads of fun but if you’re looking for a “complete a song” solution, which is what I’d call dawless, i don’t think it covers it all.
    • I’ve read and watched loads of videos on the MPc One. The workflow is just not for me. I understood how the Akai force works after 5 minutes, I’m confident I could do a song with it in a couple of hours. Definitely not the case with the MPC. The Maschine+ is somewhere in between but it does have a more comprehensive workflow, clips and such…
  • I had an mpc live and it's probably the most complete groovebox I've used. Could easily replace the computer as does everything.

I sold it on though because I preferred ableton and found it similar. I prefer grooveboxes that offer something different and I have the opz and polyend tracker. Both excellent

Saying that for making tracks I'd say the mpc one is best on that list

• So if anyone has seen that new mpc firmware update… yeah, that made my decision. Placing the order next week. I debated too long and spent what I intended on something un music related. Lol
    Thanks to all who helped me out!

• That update is pretty amazing. 14 new plugins is huge

• @muzka said:
    I had an mpc live and it's probably the most complete groovebox I've used. Could easily replace the computer as does everything.

I sold it on though because I preferred ableton and found it similar. I prefer grooveboxes that offer something different and I have the opz and polyend tracker. Both excellent

Saying that for making tracks I'd say the mpc one is best on that list

Would you say the MPC One is suitable for full songs with instruments?. I mean guitar, bass, vocals…

• edited July 2021

After you get your MPC One you have options to bling it up. Get thicker pads, new faceplate, etc. That billet jog wheel looks hawt

https://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-one-spare-parts-and-accessories/

• @GovernorSilver said:
    After you get your MPC One you have options to bling it up. Get thicker pads, new faceplate, etc. That billet jog wheel looks hawt

Oh best believe I will. Lol

• @GovernorSilver said:

Oh my