Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

I know the ipad is essentially a portable Groovebox in its own right. I use plenty of the Groovebox type apps, also kinda set my own Groovebox like songs in AUM quite often. I love my iPad and I understand I don’t necessarily need a piece of hardware. However, being a musician/ from the late 90s early 2000s, I’m missing hardware. I’ve been looking and debating but just can’t make a decision. I’m kind of torn between an mpc one or a Roland mc 101. I would love to work with one of these in standalone but also be able to use sounds to and from my iPad with the Groovebox. I’ve been looking at all kinds, notation circuits to the Roland tr6, 707, sonic ware liven, the list goes on. Would love to have some opinions from you all here, since you guys always tend to help me with everything lol.
Thank you for your time

Standalone Dawless Groovebox
  1. What hardware Groovebox would you choose?41 votes
    1. Roland Mc 101
      12.20%
    2. Akai Mpc one
      65.85%
    3. Roland Tr6s
        7.32%
    4. Notation circuit tracks
      14.63%

Comments

• edited July 2021

Out of this list, I'd pick MPC One. More ins and outs compared to the others in the list. Can autosample synths with MPC One. Useful for drums and synths, can do full jams. Has some built-in synths.

Both Roland mini-boxes are pretty limited on their own and probably work better as a pair. MC707 might be better choice over one or both of these. I've debated it and may eventually get one. Based on the post title for something standalone, MC707 or MPC Live might be the best choice. MPC One for a less expensive option.

I have a Circuit OG, which I'm selling but, like Tracks, it's fun and good for jams, but limited to 2 synth tracks with same synth engine. Least expensive option. Sample management requires computer, though Tracks now has an SD card.

• edited July 2021

I'd quite like to try out an MPC One, just because having it all right there in front of me rather than something like the 101 that looks too menu-divey for me. Is the TR6s just a drum machine or something more? I have a Circuit, so the Tracks didn't really look different enough to warrant the money. I also have a Korg Electribe 2, which is decent but again, menus you to death. A little rack and a few Volcas make a decent groovebox. I have the Modular, Sample, FM and Mix and would happily take them to a deserted island. I have the Behringer rack with a Neutron in it that fits nicely over the Volcas, so it makes a mad little thing that you can get just about any sound from.

Eurorack? Now there's a thought...

• @auxmux said:
    Out of this list, I'd pick MPC One. More ins and outs compared to the others in the list. Can autosample synths with MPC One. Useful for drums and synths, can do full jams. Has some built-in synths.

Both Roland mini-boxes are pretty limited on their own and probably work better as a pair. MC707 might be better choice over one or both of these. I've debated it and may eventually get one. Based on the post title for something standalone, MC707 or MPC Live might be the best choice. MPC One for a less expensive option.

I have a Circuit OG, which I'm selling but, like Tracks, it's fun and good for jams, but limited to 2 synth tracks with same synth engine. Least expensive option. Sample management requires computer, though Tracks now has an SD card.

Thank you for this. Yes leaning toward the mpc one at this point. The mc 707 does seem like the better option for the Roland choice, however the mpc one is slightly cheaper… I’ll be doing some thinking for a minute about it.

• @ashh said:
    I'd quite like to try out an MPC One, just because having it all right there in front of me rather than something like the 101 that looks too menu-divey for me. Is the TR6s just a drum machine or something more? I have a Circuit, so the Tracks didn't really look different enough to warrant the money. I also have a Korg Electribe 2, which is decent but again, menus you to death. A little rack and a few Volcas make a decent groovebox. I have the Modular, Sample, FM and Mix and would happily take them to a deserted island. I have the Behringer rack with a Neutron in it that fits nicely over the Volcas, so it makes a mad little thing that you can get just about any sound from.

Eurorack? Now there's a thought...

Yeah Eurorack… totally a thought I’m having. Was debating the whole korg volca set up too, glad you brought that up. I was thinking of a FM, nubass, drum and a mix at a point, which seems great, however more of a learning curve, I mean three pieces of equipment however all similar, all different. Not sure if that’ll be a good thing or bad thing. Lol
    The more I think about what to get the more I don’t know what to get… is this a common problem or just me?

• VERY common problem, LOL. GASSSS. Eurorack would be the worst choice for a groovebox price wise, haha, but lots and lots of possibilities. And fun for sure. $600-$700 for MPC one, vs min $4k. I've designed grooveboxes using Mirack in AUM and it's so easy to get lost in.

• Roland mv1 looks good as well

• If I were to buy a groovebox, id buy an elektron model cycles.

• From your list MPC One. It will give you the biggest bang for Buck and works great with the iPad and the desktop app for it is top notch.

• Careful if you are going to decide on Roland boxes. Not all of it (in fact most of it) is not class compliant.

• For sequencing, MPCs all day

• MPC, no contest.

• edited July 2021

It would be nice to have libraries like other countries. Well, actually, now that I think about it, it would be nice if we had libraries. Big up community-run libraries but yeah, anyway, it would be nice to be able to borrow synthesisers from a library.

I have a Polyend Tracker that's definitely my favourite groovebox thing right now. I also have a Zoom Arq-96 but that's a whole different discussion. What else? I've got both of the IK Uno things, the drum machine and the synth that are all you need to make some mad little sounds. They sync with each other and have a sequencer apiece. No one said that it has to be all in the same box, right? Or is that what Groovebox means?

• I like my MC-101 but if you're looking at Roland, the MC-707 is more comparable to MPC One

• This person is using both MPC Live and Novation Circuit. Might be dangerous... for your bank account

• Thanks for all the feedback so far. Definitely leaning toward the mpc one for my workflow, I already have a splice account for one, and the learning curve seems like it’ll be easier for me over the 101/707 or even mv1 verse lab, which I was considering as well.
    Took a look at model cycles which seems great too, but a lot of limitations.

• I don't own anything on your list but am on a similar journey. Bought a Maschine+, thinking it would satisfy every need. Found it uninspiring. Added a couple of desktop synths. Eventually plumped for the Digitakt.

Really pleased with it and especially how it works seamlessly with the iPad using just a USB lead. Also, the small size of the digitakt really works for me. Need to put my earlier purchases up for sale because this one's a keeper!

Good luck choosing.

• Model Cycles and MC-101 are my greatest cravings right now :lol:
    Oh... Jakob dropped a video on the mc-101 with the ipad this week (didn't watch it yet, though)

• @senhorlampada said:
    Model Cycles and MC-101 are my greatest cravings right now :lol:
    Oh... Jakob dropped a video on the mc-101 with the ipad this week (didn't watch it yet, though)

Oh dang imma watch this now, this might sway me lol.
    However I just watch watching people use the iPad as a sound module with the mpc one and seemed very easy with the I connect midi... also I have a motu m2 which has midi in and out so I’m thinking I could use that to send audio and midi from my iPad to my mpc one... so having that kinda thought out... ugh lol so many decisions.

• You gotta become millionaire and buy them all :lol:

• Digitakt if that's in your budget; Model:Samples if it isn't?

The Polyend Tracker gets an awful lot of praise too. Could be worth a look

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    Digitakt if that's in your budget; Model:Samples if it isn't?

So many things to look at and consider. The model: samples looks dope, haven’t really considered it but now I am lol

• @Weareroses said:

@PeteSasqwax said:
    Digitakt if that's in your budget; Model:Samples if it isn't?

So many things to look at and consider. The model: samples looks dope, haven’t really considered it but now I am lol

I’m a big fan of both the models and they are the hub of my jamming setup currently. There are limitations, but they force you to be creative. That being said, I was toying with the idea of adding a 707 too. I’ve held off so far, but for my preference, I’d go for that over the mpc.

• Jakob's vid is nice - very helpful for IOS users looking to work around the MC-101 having no audio inputs.

If you're into deeper synth patching/editing, you may need Zenology/Zenology Pro, which is Roland's official sound editor for all ZenCore products. Or you can get a MC-707 and use that as your deep editor. Some peeps out there use a 707 for deep editing and workstation-ish stuff, and export projects to 101 for playing out.

• Here's a comparison of 3 grooveboxes by someone who owns all 3

• Digitakt is more akin to Circuit Rhythm, it's a sampler/drum machine. Not exactly a groovebox, though it can be used as such. Same thing can be said for Digitone.

Onboard synths + drum sampler = groovebox imo, so Maschine, MC707, Circuit, MPC, OP-Z, Polyend Tracker. Polyend Tracker looks like a lot of fun, but limited in a lot of ways, still want one though.

• @auxmux said:
    Digitakt is more akin to Circuit Rhythm, it's a sampler/drum machine. Not exactly a groovebox, though it can be used as such. Same thing can be said for Digitone.

Onboard synths + drum sampler = groovebox imo, so Maschine, MC707, Circuit, MPC, OP-Z, Polyend Tracker. Polyend Tracker looks like a lot of fun, but limited in a lot of ways, still want one though.

Yeah as far as what it can do I’m leaning toward the mpc one right now. However I love the look of and sound of the poly end tracker. So hard to decide lol

• edited July 2021

i picked Digitakt+Digitone and i'm super happy. Purchased them in autum 2020 - basically did not used my iPad for music since then :-) Starting to think about purchaše of another Digitakt to add more tracks :-)) I'm doomed, absolutely infected by Elektron way of thinking, i had lot of grooveboxes before but this hit me hard.

• @Weareroses one consideration: the MPC One has a Big touchscreen that might feel a lot (too much?) like “another ipad” in use UI-wise.

This might be desirable but if you’re wanting a Fully different experience from iPad and touchscreens a Novation Rhythm (or Tracks) could be a solid contrast to iPad while being able to load it with iPad-sourced audio.

Disclaimer: I’ve not used an MPC One but have a Novation Circuit OG and find its uniqueness and screen-lessness to be very therapeutic and productive.

• @Weareroses said:
    I know the ipad is essentially a portable Groovebox in its own right. I use plenty of the Groovebox type apps, also kinda set my own Groovebox like songs in AUM quite often. I love my iPad and I understand I don’t necessarily need a piece of hardware. However, being a musician/ from the late 90s early 2000s, I’m missing hardware. I’ve been looking and debating but just can’t make a decision. I’m kind of torn between an mpc one or a Roland mc 101. I would love to work with one of these in standalone but also be able to use sounds to and from my iPad with the Groovebox. I’ve been looking at all kinds, notation circuits to the Roland tr6, 707, sonic ware liven, the list goes on. Would love to have some opinions from you all here, since you guys always tend to help me with everything lol.
    Thank you for your time

For me Maschine plus is the one!

• @dendy said:
    i picked Digitakt+Digitone and i'm super happy. Purchased them in autum 2020 - basically did not used my iPad for music since then :-) Starting to think about purchaše of another Digitakt to add more tracks :-)) I'm doomed, absolutely infected by Elektron way of thinking, i had lot of grooveboxes before but this hit me hard.

Wow dope jam!
    Yeah I love those too haven’t done as much research on the digitakt or digitone. Definitely familiar with them.