Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• edited June 2021

@wim, i cannot monitor my audio input in standalone mode but running AUM at the same time solves that. Basically i make sure the audient is already connected, open AUM first then open VS standalone. VS receives the first input of the Audient. I will test it again today to be sure

• @sinosoidal
    Less presets and more materials please!

I mean, I get the reason for “visual presets” to demonstrate the apps capabilities. I think most of us would like a larger assortment of materials or a way to import our own?

@NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal pls pls pls can the color wheel picker close if you click away from it!? Pls pls pls 😍

X2!

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    @sinosoidal
    Less presets and more materials please!

I mean, I get the reason for “visual presets” to demonstrate the apps capabilities. I think most of us would like a larger assortment of materials or a way to import our own?

@NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal pls pls pls can the color wheel picker close if you click away from it!? Pls pls pls 😍

X2!

A big plus one for me too… or the ability to import gls shaders would be amazing.

• @Paulinko said:

Used audio output from AUM with Hammerhead and SynthMaster 2 plus FAC Envolver and Mozaic MIDI output to control parameters in VS Visual Synth by Imaginando. The background video clip of the grasshopper was created using an SVG image of a grasshopper imported as the base layer of Looom and the red, yellow, and violet dots were animated in Looom on top of it using a bpm in sync with the music. The rotation, scaling, alpha manipulation and other textural effects were done in VS. The VS standalone screen recording was imported into LumaFusion and the title was added along with the fade out at the end.

How do you import a background image into Looom?

• @Toastedghost @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr to add an SVG to a Looom file, I created a simple one layer file in Looom and then I copied the path information from the desired monochromatic SVG file using the Textastic text editor. I then opened the file in Looom again and added other animation layers on top. The SVG file you use must not be too complex or else you’ll have issues trying to run the animations in Looom. Looom files are SVG files so in a text editor which supports displaying the file format in an appropriate way for the file type, this copy and paste procedure is not too tough. You can take photos or drawings and convert them into SVG format using an app like Vector Q.

• @Toastedghost said:

@wim said:
    The audio is coming from the speakers, and through the mic, though, right? There’s no direct audio in to the standalone.

Sorry @wim am struggling here. Is audio being received from AUM to standalone? or just speakers?

As far as I can see, the only way the Standalone gets audio is through the mic or an interface. It can't get any direct audio from AUM. For instance, if I play AUM into earbuds plugged into the iPad, VS gets nothing. If I unplug the earbuds so that the sound comes from the speakers, then VS picks it up through the mic (though not at full fidelity of course).

Above, @Arielabe mentions it working with Audient I/O, which I'm guessing means that the audio is going out of AUM and into VS through it. I dunno. But as far as I know there's no way to get audio going direct to VS from another app.

Maybe @sinosoidal can clarify what works and what doesn't?

• edited June 2021

@Paulinko said:
    @Toastedghost @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr to add an SVG to a Looom file, I created a simple one layer file in Looom and then I copied the path information from the desired monochromatic SVG file using the Textastic text editor. I then opened the file in Looom again and added other animation layers on top. The SVG file you use must not be too complex or else you’ll have issues trying to run the animations in Looom. Looom files are SVG files so in a text editor which supports displaying the file format in an appropriate way for the file type, this copy and paste procedure is not too tough. You can take photos or drawings and convert them into SVG format using an app like Vector Q.

Many thanks, my brother. This is a genius workaround. Have you seen https://mutsuacen.com/? It’s a web app that should appeal to Looom users.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Paulinko said:
    @Toastedghost @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr to add an SVG to a Looom file, I created a simple one layer file in Looom and then I copied the path information from the desired monochromatic SVG file using the Textastic text editor. I then opened the file in Looom again and added other animation layers on top. The SVG file you use must not be too complex or else you’ll have issues trying to run the animations in Looom. Looom files are SVG files so in a text editor which supports displaying the file format in an appropriate way for the file type, this copy and paste procedure is not too tough. You can take photos or drawings and convert them into SVG format using an app like Vector Q.

Many thanks, my brother. This is a genius workaround. Have you seen https://mutsuacen.com/? It’s a web app that should appeal to Looom users.

Came across this page of web tools for hacking Looom:

https://github.com/mattdesl/looom-tools

• Thank you @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr that link is a gret gif maker.

• edited June 2021

Update - im getting quite a few bugs when operating the hdmi fullscreen mode, e.g. - envelope 2 is unresponsive, midi triggers often unresponsive also. My first guess is that my ipad pro is having some difficulty rendering shaders to both screens at the same time. For now i’m gonna try doing most of my editing on the ipad screen and use the hdmi out for ‘performance mode’, will post later.

Btw you can see my experiments with vs so far on my instagram (not fishing for likes, honest!)

www.instagram.com/benjabrozel/

• edited June 2021

Another Experiment with Visual Synth

• When using VS in dRambo we can't map the knobs.

The parameters are available but the mapping
    isn't though it is for many other auv3 apps.

Here’s a screenshot showing VS in drambo with the parameters menu.

When we press the ‘MAP’ button in the top right hand corner of the auv3 window
    and move a knob or parameter, the parameter becomes available to modulate.

For example here’s ‘Koala FX’ after doing exactly the same thing
    and the parameters are now available to be freely modulated.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

• @Paulinko said:

Thanks for the hint at Vector Q. :)

• @Gravitas said:
    When using VS in dRambo we can't map the knobs.

I noticed this as well. I think it’s fixed in the beta. Will confirm here shortly.

@Gravitas said:

I noticed this as well. I think it’s fixed in the beta. Will confirm here shortly.

Cool.

• Hmmm… just found a bug all my older recordings have lost their backgrounds, both jpgs and gifs, only materials left showing in saved presets.
    IOS 14.6
    ipad Air 3rd gen

• @Toastedghost said:
    Hmmm… just found a bug all my older recordings have lost their backgrounds, both jpgs and gifs, only materials left showing in saved presets.
    IOS 14.6
    ipad Air 3rd gen

When that bug happens again could you please do me a favour? Try loading a background video/image in one patch, and see if the media on all the others patches appears. We've been reported that bug before but haven't found a consistently way of reproducing it yet.

Thanks

• I’ve this bug as well, loading an image in another patch didn’t fix the issue.
    AUM file player, iPad OS 14.6, iPad Pro, 11inch

When that bug happens again could you please do me a favour? Try loading a background video/image in one patch, and see if the media on all the others patches appears. We've been reported that bug before but haven't found a consistently way of reproducing it yet.

Thanks

• @gothamoddisee said:
    I’ve this bug as well, loading an image in another patch didn’t fix the issue.
    AUM file player, iPad OS 14.6, iPad Pro, 11inch

Thanks

When I reload the missing background and resave the patch then it reloads OK. Odd?

• edited July 2021

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:

Cool.

Oh crap, sorry! I totally forgot to check on this.

Currently, in the beta, it looks like there’s a gagillion and one parameters available in that list. Probably all of them, but the auto-mapping thing isn’t working like you said. Assigning them manually does though.

@Gravitas said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:

Cool.

Oh crap, sorry! I totally forgot to check on this.

No problem.

Currently, in the beta, it looks like there’s a gagillion and one parameters available in that list. Probably all of them,

Yup.

but the auto-mapping thing isn’t working like you said.

Yup

Assigning them manually does though.

Apparently it’s something that the dev of the app can ,’switch on’.
    We can go through the whole list for sure but it would be cool to
    be able to simply turn the relevant parameter and map them that way.
    Much faster and neater in the long run.

• @sinosoidal I am hooked on this app!

The concept of composing music with a visual representation for each audible element of sound has really opened up some creative doors for me.

It’s like the visuals are putting my creative workflow into a lower gear if you will. It kinda slows me down, and really makes me think about the sound and the instrument(s) I’m using.

It’s really captivated me in a way that I can’t recall any other app doing. (Maybe Drambo)

I mean it’s so good, that I’m actually thinking about taking another look at LK (must be great as well!)

There’s a lot to learn about this app, and while we still might want more materials, I’m starting to understand why the materials that are included, are plenty! There’s hundreds of different combinations of results with just ONE material! I mean what’s already included with VS gives us pretty much unlimited possibilities.

Here’s a couple EXPerimental tracks I was playing with last night:

• @Paulinko amazing!

I just bought Looom (after spending a lot more time than I’m willing to admit looking at “Loom” and wondering why it didn’t look like the same app lol)

• @Toastedghost said:
    Another Experiment with Visual Synth

Nice! I love how it evolves into organized chaos.

@Paulinko amazing!

I just bought Looom (after spending a lot more time than I’m willing to admit looking at “Loom” and wondering why it didn’t look like the same app lol)

It’s definitely an odd app name but one you won’t forget after noting the spelling.

• @Paulinko said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @Paulinko amazing!

It’s definitely an odd app name but one you won’t forget after noting the spelling.

Yes it is an odd spelling and one I previously looked for with the same results. Have you tried it yet and is it worth considering? Callipeg do a free 7 day trial with no charge after trial. If you like it 99cents a month or $8.99 a year or you can buy outright for $48.99. Worth a look at, my hands unfortunately have arturitus and so no steady mits.

• Two questions:

• How does one reset MIDI-Learned parameters. I could find nothing about this in the manual. I midi learned a few parameters and need to unlearn them.
    • How does one get back to the original default preset?
  • edited July 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    Two questions:

• How does one reset MIDI-Learned parameters. I could find nothing about this in the manual. I midi learned a few parameters and need to unlearn them.

To my knowledge there is no reset button for Midi learn, but if you re-click on Midi learn you should be able to set new parametres.
    In Factory bank select default preset. Though I always find it odd that this contains a material in slot 1.

• edited July 2021

@Toastedghost said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Two questions:

To my knowledge there is no reset button for Midi learn, but if you re-click on Midi learn you should be able to set new parametres.
    In Factory bank select default preset. Though I always find it odd that this contains a material in slot 1.

We opted to have one material in the default patch, so it isn't simply a black canvas. Just like a synthesizer has a default patch that produces some sound, we find it more appealing having something appearing in the beginning. But I understand that when one gets the feeling of VS, having an empty default patch could be more workflow friendly