Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DIGISTIX 2 DROPPED IN STORE TODAY (The best just got even Better)

For the last few years 4pockets DigiStix has been my go to drum machine on ios for its great sounds, ease of sample loading to create kits and ease of programming.

Now Paul has released DigiStix 2 which takes the concept even further, providing an even greater user experience.

Now with full General Midi support, up to 64 samples per drum kit and multi sample drums the game is upped considerably. Add to this 16 drum pads each with 4 banks and multi legal velocity, for MPC style programming.

You may have up to 5 multi samples per drum and the app also has the option of easy to use auto sampling to make creating your own kits from scratch a piece of cake.The ability to easily create flams, add accents is also very welcome.

In addition to an 8 band graphic eq, reverb and delay, DigiStix 2 also comes with 8 audio outs, and 2 fx sends, activated when the internal reverb and chorus are switched off.

I just checked and I have 20 drum apps on ios, including drum computer hammerhead and Fac drunkit and I can honestly say that DigiStix 2 out classes them all.

Comments

• edited July 2021

Even if you don’t use the sequencer you are getting 46 drum kits and an autosampler which in some ways is better than Chameleon as you can autosample 64 consecutive notes (min note spacing in Chameleon is 3) with 5 velocities per sample. There is a 2 second limit per auto-sample, however, but you might be able to work around this a little if you are able to adjust the input sample to have a longer release as there is a separate 8 second trail time option.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Even if you don’t use the sequencer you are getting 46 drum kits and an autosampler which in some ways is better than Chameleon as you can autosample 64 consecutive notes (min note spacing in Chameleon is 3) with 5 velocities per sample. There is a 2 second limit per auto-sample, however, but you might be able to work around this a little if you are able to adjust the input sample to have a longer release as there is a separate 8 second trail time option.

How do you plan to use the autosampler?. For external gear?.

• The autosampler should work with any midi source. I use the autosampler in chameleon all the time for patch saving from my analog hardware. You connect up whatever you wish to sample either hardware or other apps, make sure the midi channels are correctly assigned and let DigiStix know what midi note range you wish to sample. It couldn’t be simpler.

• @tahiche said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

How do you plan to use the autosampler?. For external gear?.

I’m thinking at the moment of using each pad with a different instrument, e.g. drums on pad A, 3 different other autosampled AUs on the other 3 pads (though each limited to 16 notes). I can then use this in my “no MIDI today, thanks” workflow inside MultiTrack DAW where I record everything to audio using only apps with song modes and can then easily drop in live guitars around that.

I can of course do this already using digistix 1 + chameleon + digikeys but there may be some benefits in having the workflow in one app.

• Can the autosampler be used to sample other apps? I suppose Digistix would need to work in the fx slot for this.

• @bleep said:
    Can the autosampler be used to sample other apps? I suppose Digistix would need to work in the fx slot for this.

Yes, you use it in the FX slot and then connect its MIDI out to the AU before it in the chain.

• Thanks, that sounds useful. You could also route the Digistix midi out to both the AU and some effect which is velocity-controlled, so that your autosampled AU gets more variation that way (e.g. more distortion at high velocity).

• This looks like a step up. Is there a way to get the white background off the screen , this was a bit annoying with V1. Felt like the UI wasn’t finished.

• @bleep said:
    Thanks, that sounds useful. You could also route the Digistix midi out to both the AU and some effect which is velocity-controlled, so that your autosampled AU gets more variation that way (e.g. more distortion at high velocity).

This is interesting. You could sample another instance of DigiStix itself and do variations like a distorted-over compressed version of a kit. Can you resample pad by pad?. That way you could tweak effects like eq and compression per kit piece or change them alltogether, like having different effects for a kick and cymbals…

• @tahiche said:

@bleep said:
    Thanks, that sounds useful. You could also route the Digistix midi out to both the AU and some effect which is velocity-controlled, so that your autosampled AU gets more variation that way (e.g. more distortion at high velocity).

This is interesting. You could sample another instance of DigiStix itself and do variations like a distorted-over compressed version of a kit. Can you resample pad by pad?. That way you could tweak effects like eq and compression per kit piece or change them alltogether, like having different effects for a kick and cymbals…

You can autosample individual pads. Here is the default autosample menu:

If you long press a pad then it has an autosample pad option which then gives you the standard autosample menu but with the specific pad automatically selected and the note count set to 1, ready to sample only to that pad.

• I’ve read in the description that it could have multilayer and round Robin modes.
    Anyone knows if it’s really « multilayer and round Robin » or « multilayer or round Robin »? Like the previous version

• edited July 2021

@Jeezs said:
    I’ve read in the description that it could have multilayer and round Robin modes.
    Anyone knows if it’s really « multilayer and round Robin » or « multilayer or round Robin »? Like the previous version

Round robin cycles through each sample velocity layer in sequence. You cannot have multiple samples per velocity layer which would be necessary for multilayered round robin to work. Pretty sure it is the same as it was before anyway.

• @stormbeats said:
    This looks like a step up. Is there a way to get the white background off the screen , this was a bit annoying with V1. Felt like the UI wasn’t finished.

I think this is one of the optimisation strategies he employs; not addressing different device sizes properly saves gobloads of dev time...

• @Krupa said:

@stormbeats said:
    This looks like a step up. Is there a way to get the white background off the screen , this was a bit annoying with V1. Felt like the UI wasn’t finished.

I think this is one of the optimisation strategies he employs; not addressing different device sizes properly saves gobloads of dev time...

True

• Can midi files be imported/loaded?

• @lsd87 said:
    Can midi files be imported/loaded?

No, but it looks like Paul has plans for MIDI export according to the youtube comments.

• Paul tells me he’s going to make it so you can export midi directly into helium which has a much higher note resolution 1/128 which gives far more control for making more complex rhythms.

• Have just finished sampling a 64 piece Latin drumkit from 2 32 piece kits I created a while ago in chameleon. Everything sampled perfectly.

• @turtle said:
    Paul tells me he’s going to make it so you can export midi directly into helium which has a much higher note resolution 1/128 which gives far more control for making more complex rhythms.

Can you please ask Paul if his ultimate app-making goal is to have them all come together in a single environment as a DAW that will then take over the world?

• Well he already has a multitrack recorder, an automated mixer for controlling aum, the best sequencer available on iOS, not to mention some great effect plugins, if they were all integrated together it would beat the hell out of cubaisis 3. Here’s a link to his first demonstration video he always reads comments, reply’s and takes suggestions on board so you could try asking him.

• @ashh said:
    Can you please ask Paul if his ultimate app-making goal is to have them all come together in a single environment as a DAW that will then take over the world?

His Meteor DAW has been around for a long time. It never gained much traction. I've wondered if his apps are Meteor modules he broke out and developed separately.

• edited July 2021

Bought DigiStix 2.. got hooked on DigiKeys on the way. Did not know it was such a deep app..
    I guess I will get to DS2 in time..

• Is it possible to easily map DigiStix 2 so that it sequences other drum machines, such as Drumkit, etc?

• As far as I can tell the app you want to control would need to be mapped to DigiStix and not the other way around. Your best bet for controlling fac drumkit and other machines is to use helium, which has full g.m. mapping, and also allows for easy creation of custom mapping for non g.m. Drum machines such as fac drumkit.

• Is it possible to set irregular measures?

• The auto sampler auto mapping pretty neat just tried it with a synth loaded in AUM so doesn’t have to be hardware.

• I’m gonna have to grab this but how many great drum apps can come out in one month or so… dam

• edited July 2021

@audio_DT said:
    Is it possible to easily map DigiStix 2 so that it sequences other drum machines, such as Drumkit, etc?

Yea. It has midi in and midi out. Edit oops. Not sure about this I misread your question. It does send midi out but not sure about the mapping

• How about moving presets from DS1 to DS2? Is that possible? Is it an easy process?

• @audio_DT said:
    Is it possible to easily map DigiStix 2 so that it sequences other drum machines, such as Drumkit, etc?

I have just tested and you will need to need to remap the MIDI either inside DS2 (you can MIDI learn each pad), or send through a remapping app as the default notes do not map directly to FAC Drumkit, for example. It does work though as a sequencer, yes.