Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The big KORG Gadget fun/freak/experiment thread

Comments

• @R_2 said:
    @Philandering_Bastard Luckily not, i linked the YouTube one.
    @jwmmakerofmusic Yeah why not, you’ll make some minimal ambient ;)

Probably, lol! I got a new minimal piece I'll be posting in a bit. ;)

• @u0421793 Thanks, no iAP skin (as expected) only the knob positions :)

• @R_2 said:
    @u0421793 Thanks, no iAP skin (as expected) only the knob positions :)

Good to know, the skins are just 'decoration' and 'show off' for some extra presets :)

Still waiting for Korg to add 'batch import' from iMono/Poly stand-alone to the Gadget, got 512 extra additional sound in there and there's simply NO WAY I will import them one by one...

• @Samu said:

@R_2 said:
    @u0421793 Thanks, no iAP skin (as expected) only the knob positions :)

Good to know, the skins are just 'decoration' and 'show off' for some extra presets :)

Still waiting for Korg to add 'batch import' from iMono/Poly stand-alone to the Gadget, got 512 extra additional sound in there and there's simply NO WAY I will import them one by one...

It's about time the KORGheads do their homework. Those inconsistencies have gathered up to an amount that doesn't fit a reputable company too well.

• New experiment with Tokyo drums 🥁

Sometimes I struggle with the sound of Tokyo, i think it’s a bit thin and ‘sharp’.
    In this demo i’ve tried to create a different quality by layering the 4 ‘synths’ in a Tokyo to make 1 drum sound (BD, SD, CLP, HH).
    Instead of quantizing the 4 ‘synths’ I applied subtle shifts in timing to loosen the sound a bit (see 0:11).

Second part of the vid I used a single Tokyo for all drums and I used the technique from my start post (record output of iPad through mic into an audio gadget). The sound of that recording is processed with Durban.
    At 0:53 this results in a sound somewhat reminiscent of “Hall & Oates”.
    From 1:16 a different Durban plays an analog type delay including some automation.

Project file, including the Durban audio, is attached below for those who wanna play with this (and improve my drum sounds :))

• Dude
    I don't have any problems with Tokyo... I love it
    but this layering of yours is totally awesome! :open_mouth:

• @R_2 Layering is a super powerful trick to get all kinds of great results in Gadget.
    Layering gadgets like London, Marseille, Chiangmai and Dublin plus a bit of EQ can make wonders.

• @R_2 Really nice job mate. :)

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2021

@senhorlampada I like Tokyo for snare and Simmons style toms/perc. But overall the attack is a bit ‘spiky’ for my taste. For instance, the synth drums in Fairbanks seem a little more ‘round’ to me.

Indeed layering is simple and effective, but in the above vid it’s the shifting of the notes (instead of quantize on the grid) that does the job.
    It’s fun to moves sounds around slightly and hear the effect.

@jwmmakerofmusic thnx

• @R_2 Something I've found that rounds out the sound of Tokyo drums is the IFX saturator.

That said, if you need a good synth kickdrum that's rounder, try Dublin. :)

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2021

@jwmmakerofmusic Good point, I often apply some saturation. Problem is it cuts off the sub frequencies, so I can’t use it on bassdrums 100% wet mix. But mixed in with the dry sound it does a good job.

• @R_2 said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Good point, I often apply some saturation. Problem is it cuts off the sub frequencies, so I can’t use it on bassdrums 100% wet mix. But mixed in with the dry sound it does a good job.

That's the way I saturate a bassdrum. Roughly 50% wet, 50% dry. :)

• It would be awesome if there was a MS20 filter gadget with kaoss pad style automation. Imagine routing R_2's idea into that :open_mouth: :love:

• Polymeter in Gadget

Experimenting with different signatures and amount of bars within a scene.
    For instance, change default signature from 4/4 to 1/4 and set every track to a different amount of bars. The key to get syncopation is to set bars to even and odd numbers.

I’m sure people have worked with different bar lengths, etc. But for those who haven’t and want some evolving/syncopating rhythms/melodies this might be an interesting technique (project file attached below).

Polymeter is often confused with Polyrhythm, which is slightly different I believe.

• Another quick polymeter demo, more melodic this time.
    A slow tremolo in every Marseille to add a bit more randomness.

• Both examples are really fucking cool. :) I didn't think to adjust the bar to 1/4 and set each track to a different amount of bars. That's a great way to keep things interesting. I love the two examples you did mate. :) Definitely going to make use of this in one of my next productions. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic Yes, I bet it will work really well for the style you’ve been making recently.

• @R_2 said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Yes, I bet it will work really well for the style you’ve been making recently.

Oh I know it will. Slept in today, so now it's time to experiment. :)

• edited July 2021

@R_2 So far, the method you came up with mate was stellar in me nailing polyrhythms, but then I stumbled upon a major issue: I couldn't draw in long-evolving automation the way I usually do. I mean, I could, but it was cumbersome, requiring several scenes to obtain what I could in a couple scenes, and I almost scrapped the track despite how good it sounds.

Then I decided to put the time signature back to 4/4 and adjust the bars accordingly. I kept the same polyrhythms, but simply extended everything out. If something was 7 bars long in 1/4 time, it stays 7 bars long in 4/4 time with the motif repeated 4 times over the length of 7 4/4 bars. If something was 4 bars long in 1/4 time, it becomes 1 bar long in 4/4 time with the motif repeated once per bar. Etc etc.

So now I can do my slowly evolving automations while keeping my polyrhythms intact. :)

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2021

@jwmmakerofmusic Good that you found a workaround for the long evolving automation.
    So, to extend everything, did you select and copy&paste the notes manually?

• @R_2 said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Good that you found a workaround for the long evolving automation.
    So, to extend everything, did you select and copy&paste the notes manually?

Yes I did. :) Was pretty easy.

• Good use of Zurich by this gentleman:
    This is a live mixdown of the track Dawn made in Korg's Gadget for iOS.
    The Glasgow module was used for all sounds except Salzburg for Piano and a Zurich module was used to record the sound of the birds around me.

• Krauss Maffei is doing excellent stuff with Gadget. Here’s 4 examples, but there’s more on his channel.

• Amazing stuff! Gonna dive in deeper in his channel

• Thanks for sharing that polymeter example @R_2. Never thought to try anything quite like that but I dig it.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to opening gadget files? I download the zip, unzip it and try to open but just get a msg from gadget “file not found”. Pretty sure I own all the gadgets at this point so don’t think it’s an issue of not having the correct instruments. Thought I might import it but no option other than Nintendo files I can see. Also tried long pressing to get the “open in” dialogue but no dice.

Korg is great at so many things… file and data transfer isn’t one of them!

• @Obo These last 2 Polymeter projects only feature stock gadgets, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Opening the attached projects is simple:
    Download the zip, assuming you use Safari it’ll save it to Downloads in the Files app.
    Tapping that zip will unzip it and create a .gdproj2 file which you move to On my iPad > KORG Gadget.
    The project should now appear in your list in Gadget.

You can also move the zip directly from Downloads to On my iPad > KORG Gadget and unzip it there. Works both ways.

• The question is a little off topic for this thread, but I have not found information on it anywhere. in Stockholm, the sample is played further while there is a touch on the display with the rex file. when playing from the midi keyboard, only one slice is played. is there a play mode switch for external devices?

• @Dobre_Trava said:
    The question is a little off topic for this thread, but I have not found information on it anywhere. in Stockholm, the sample is played further while there is a touch on the display with the rex file. when playing from the midi keyboard, only one slice is played. is there a play mode switch for external devices?

You need to go down to a lower octave on your controller to trigger the full loops.

• @Dobre_Trava said:
    The question is a little off topic for this thread, but I have not found information on it anywhere. in Stockholm, the sample is played further while there is a touch on the display with the rex file. when playing from the midi keyboard, only one slice is played. is there a play mode switch for external devices?

Every REX/RX2 file has bpm info embedded. Depending on the bpm, playback of successive slices can be more or less delayed.

• @FordTimeLord said:

@Dobre_Trava said:

You need to go down to a lower octave on your controller to trigger the full loops.

Yes it is possible to trigger any of the 8 loops, but they seem to be played from the beginning. I don't remember exactly the name of this mode, as long as the key is held down, the loop continues to play. if you touch and hold the screen of the gadget, the loop continues playing from any slice.