Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VS - Visual Synthesizer by Imaginando Lda

Comments

• Yeah I’m digging it too and looking forward to updates that will surely come. I would like to see HDMI out full screen working when in AUM mode though.

• Oh that and render to file!

• @NimboStratus said:
    Yeah I’m digging it too and looking forward to updates that will surely come. I would like to see HDMI out full screen working when in AUM mode though.

Agreed, I’m looking forward to any updates to VS as well. The HDMI out with the AU, as well as any more “materials” or a way to import “our own” materials?

I just saw this this morning. Even Adam Hardyman, a well established iOS musician, hasn’t quite got his head wrapped around VS yet.

• edited June 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:

@NimboStratus said:
    Yeah I’m digging it too and looking forward to updates that will surely come. I would like to see HDMI out full screen working when in AUM mode though.

Agreed, I’m looking forward to any updates to VS as well. The HDMI out with the AU, as well as any more “materials” or a way to import “our own” materials?

I just saw this this morning. Even Adam Hardyman, a well established iOS musician, hasn’t quite got his head wrapped around VS yet.

Fantastic track! These bells ring !

• @sinosoidal pls pls pls can the color wheel picker close if you click away from it!? Pls pls pls 😍

• @NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal pls pls pls can the color wheel picker close if you click away from it!? Pls pls pls 😍

As we're on the topic of the colour wheel?
    Is it possible to automate the colour wheel or assign it a parameter?

• @Gravitas said:

@NimboStratus said:
    @sinosoidal pls pls pls can the color wheel picker close if you click away from it!? Pls pls pls 😍

Isn’t that what Hue and Saturation do?

• edited June 2021

@xor said:

@Gravitas said:

@NimboStratus said:

Isn’t that what Hue and Saturation do?

Most probably thinking about it but I was moving the point on the colour wheel/disk the other day and I thought to myself
    this would be fun as an x/y pad or mapped
    to an x/y pad.

Okay,... I’ll map hue and
    saturation to an x/y pad.

😁

• @janpieter said:

@Paulinko said:
    Apps for Music Video Creation

1. Multi-Input where you can control a layer with a specific audio input using Multi-bus Audio Unit Instances in AUM to control the video output of the main VS AU instance. This is similar to using different MIDI channels to control parameters in different layers.

If I understand correctly I think we are already able to achieve something like this by using several instances of FAC Envolver on separate audio tracks in AUM (for instance) and then sending the desired MIDI to separate layers in VS?

I guess what @Paulinko is suggesting is to have multiple audio inputs that could be used > @NimboStratus said:

We had that already before it was released. There was a technical aspect that forced us to remove that. We need to try again.

• @Eurikon said:

@Eurikon said:
    @sinosoidal
    I’m not sure if GitHub is the place to report bugs, I posted there.

I’ll report here as well:
    I can repeat a crash when using VS Mac OS version, while using sidecar on the Mac and having the application dragged to iPad screen.

As soon as I click on it with an Apple Pencil it crashes.
    Let me know if you need more information.

@sinosoidal
    maybe this post has slipped your attention, or maybe you were not able to reproduce it?

I can reproduce it over and over.
    It is also holding me back from buying the Mac OS desktop version.

Please let me know if you need any further information?

Sorry for the lack of feedback. I've seen the post but haven't tried to replicate it yet. Will try tomorrow at the office. Thanks for the heads up.

• edited June 2021

Thought you might like to see my first finished project with VS. I wasn’t planning on adding video for my bouillon series as they are perhaps too minimal. However it was a good excuse to work out a nice workflow / technical solution with VS and LumaFusion (which I’ve never used but love it). Anyway enjoy, and take care not to eat too many donuts! Perhaps the background layer could be more visual but quite like the minimal suggestion of fractal donuts.

• @NimboStratus said:
    Thought you might like to see my first finished project with VS. I wasn’t planning on adding video for my bouillon series as they are perhaps too minimal. However it was a good excuse to work out a nice workflow / technical solution with VS and LumaFusion (which I’ve never used but love it). Anyway enjoy, and take care not to eat too many donuts! Perhaps the background layer could be more visual but quite like the minimal suggestion of fractal donuts.

Nice one! :wink:

• VS - Visual Synthesizer updated to version 1.0.2:

• Add support for HDMI on iOS (standalone only)
    • Add MIDI activity indicator
    • Fix modulators buttons checked state
    • Fix gif not playing bug
    • Fix demo tempo when changing presets
    • Fix layer mono release state
    • Fix crash with midi clock

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vs-visual-synthesizer/id1560330289

• edited June 2021

Perplex On doing his magic with VS

• @sinosoidal perhaps not possible to share but do you guys have road map for VS?

As it currently is it has a wealth of possibilities but just wondering what might be coming 😍

• @sinosoidal said:
    Perplex On doing his magic with VS

Awesome! I’ve been thinking to get myself a projector, but the good ones are still so expensive I can’t justify the purchase and I won’t settle for a lesser one :smile:

• @sinosoidal said:
    VS - Visual Synthesizer updated to version 1.0.2:

I hope that means full screen output with ipad, with controls still running on the ipad screen.

Oh and Hi! Amazing piece of software! I have been posting bits on insta as @benjabrozel , really enjoying working with VS and really hoping this update means full screen output!

• @Jumpercollins said:

@skiphunt said:

@auxmux said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Another app just updated with midi sync is the animation app Looom.

Anyone used that yet?

Here is someone using it with a OPZ pre update.

Could be cool to design a layer to use in VS.

That's super cool, need to check that out.

Just discovered midi sync to Looom v1.5 actually works via app on the same device! If you’re using apeMatrix and set midi clock to “always” then you get the midi icon in Looom and it indeed syncs to bpm in apeMatrix. Cool 😎 Haven’t got it to work using AUM though.

This is just synced bpm though. It doesn’t respond to midi notes/cc or sound frequency like VS does.

VS is MUCH more flexible and loads more custom control than this one is.

Looom seems more focused on short animation loops. But, if you can create those loops to be synced to a specific bpm, then import your synced Looom animation loops into VS… that could be a nice combo.

Going to give it a go myself. Looks a neat little animation tool to combo.

Looking fwd to see where these 2 apps go.

Looom is super fun. I haven't tried the midi yet; I am very happy with the BPM and rhythmic subdivisions approach built into Looom. You can set up rhythms in the animation that are distinct from the rhythms in your soundtrack and yet still in sync. For me this is actually more interesting and exciting than midi control.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@skiphunt said:

@auxmux said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Another app just updated with midi sync is the animation app Looom.

Anyone used that yet?

Here is someone using it with a OPZ pre update.

Could be cool to design a layer to use in VS.

That's super cool, need to check that out.

Just discovered midi sync to Looom v1.5 actually works via app on the same device! If you’re using apeMatrix and set midi clock to “always” then you get the midi icon in Looom and it indeed syncs to bpm in apeMatrix. Cool 😎 Haven’t got it to work using AUM though.

This is just synced bpm though. It doesn’t respond to midi notes/cc or sound frequency like VS does.

VS is MUCH more flexible and loads more custom control than this one is.

Looom seems more focused on short animation loops. But, if you can create those loops to be synced to a specific bpm, then import your synced Looom animation loops into VS… that could be a nice combo.

Going to give it a go myself. Looks a neat little animation tool to combo.

Looking fwd to see where these 2 apps go.

Looom is super fun. I haven't tried the midi yet; I am very happy with the BPM and rhythmic subdivisions approach built into Looom. You can set up rhythms in the animation that are distinct from the rhythms in your soundtrack and yet still in sync. For me this is actually more interesting and exciting than midi control.

An LFO will do that for ya in VS. LFOs can be synced or free running. If four of them aren't enough then you can always use external LFOs or other tools to hit the AU parameters. In a Ape Matrix you don't even need external apps for the LFOs.

• @Arielabe said:

@sinosoidal said:

I hope that means full screen output with ipad, with controls still running on the ipad screen.

Oh and Hi! Amazing piece of software! I have been posting bits on insta as @benjabrozel , really enjoying working with VS and really hoping this update means full screen output!

Ok downloaded the new version and Yyyyyeeeeeessssss! Solid fullscreen output over hdmi! Woooop!

Also, i don’t know if anyone noticed but i have had no trouble running VS as a standalone app in parallel to AUM and it recognises all midi and audio just fine.

• great news. Clean video output. And thanks @Arielabe for the test with MIDI and audio when running standalone.

• @branis said:
    I’ve been thinking to get myself a projector, but the good ones are still so expensive I can’t justify the purchase and I won’t settle for a lesser one :smile:

I mostly work with small, inexpensive projectors. In certain places (especially in nature) one can create quite good effects with few light power and resolution.

• edited June 2021

Used audio output from AUM with Hammerhead and SynthMaster 2 plus FAC Envolver and Mozaic MIDI output to control parameters in VS Visual Synth by Imaginando. The background video clip of the grasshopper was created using an SVG image of a grasshopper imported as the base layer of Looom and the red, yellow, and violet dots were animated in Looom on top of it using a bpm in sync with the music. The rotation, scaling, alpha manipulation and other textural effects were done in VS. The VS standalone screen recording was imported into LumaFusion and the title was added along with the fade out at the end.

• @Paulinko said:

Used audio output from AUM with Hammerhead and SynthMaster 2 plus FAC Envolver and Mozaic MIDI output to control parameters in VS Visual Synth by Imaginando. The background video clip of the grasshopper was created using an SVG image of a grasshopper imported as the base layer of Looom and the red, yellow, and violet dots were animated in Looom on top of it using a bpm in sync with the music. The rotation, scaling, alpha manipulation and other textural effects were done in VS. The VS standalone screen recording was imported into LumaFusion and the title was added along with the fade out at the end.

Wowza, very impressive!

• Very poorly written manuals for newbees. Someone may contribute how to properly use the VS with AUM & others

• @Paulinko very nice. So looom responds to BPM? Do then have to export from looom and import into VS?

• @Arielabe said:

@Arielabe said:

@sinosoidal said:

Ok downloaded the new version and Yyyyyeeeeeessssss! Solid fullscreen output over hdmi! Woooop!

Also, i don’t know if anyone noticed but i have had no trouble running VS as a standalone app in parallel to AUM and it recognises all midi and audio just fine.

The audio is coming from the speakers, and through the mic, though, right? There’s no direct audio in to the standalone.

• @Paulinko great effect, been on the fence with looom but I can see how it can be incorparated. Did not know that looom ould import base layers. Do these base layer have to be static layers. What types of base layers does loom except, jpg, png, etc?

• @wim said:

@Arielabe said:

@Arielabe said:

@sinosoidal said:

The audio is coming from the speakers, and through the mic, though, right? There’s no direct audio in to the standalone.

Sorry @wim am struggling here. Is audio being received from AUM to standalone? or just speakers?

• @wim im using an audient interface and it runs with standalone mode with no issues. Like i said, im even able to run standalone in parallel to AUM, accessing the audient i/o and receiving midi just fine.