Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modern Music's Death By Auto-Tune

Interesting discussion

Comments

• Love Rick Beato’s videos!! Especially his “What makes this song great” series! Highly recommended if you haven’t watched before.

• Something to add?

• Love Rick Beato’s videos also. Some of the smartest observations on music today.

• It's funny how people have become so used to tuned vocals. I am a fan at times...

• I totally agree with Rick in the video. But…I’m a terrible singer and I rely on pitch to MIDI software to correct my mistakes. I sing out of tune and yet in a live setting I am able to play a synth with my voice perfectly in tune with my chosen scale. I embrace this technology in my scenario but only sparingly in Rick’s with the actual singer’s voice being heard.

• Intonation is part of the expressive toolkit. I personally would never outsource that to an algorithm, especially one that only recognizes 12et. A few people do use this kind of software in creative ways though.

• I’m one of those people who’ll say, “if it’s used as a crutch, it’s terrible, but if used to great effect…”.

HOWEVER: just as incompetence can be a great constraint for breeding creativity, the crutches we use can also be kinda cool. I disagree with those who diss “drenching 7th chords in reverb and calling it shoegaze because you can’t play the guitar properly,” because in some ways, that’s the point. I guess the same could be said of autotune. At least sometimes.

• Biggest argument against auto-tune? Neil Young. Horrendous singer, but it’s a style all his own.

• It’s certainly overused by some.

• Last Friday I was in a hurry and quickly sang the entire lyric to one of my songs that I’m remaking, while I had the time to myself. Later, when it came time to do the flex pitch in LPX I was surprised that I hardly needed it at all, I was as close as I need to be, throughout. I did tweak the flex pitch sparsely here and there, while I was on the flex pitch mode, but if I didn’t, it would’ve been about the same result. I was quite pleased.

• edited June 2021

I think in mainstream music that style of vocal processing just became really fashionable in the 2010s, but a lot of the younger artists are turning their backs on it - Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodriguez don't use pitch correction on their vocals and their signature style is based on having a really good natural voice.

I would add that the heavily processed vocal sound that was so prominent in the 2010s will eventually sound dated, as being the hallmark of a particular era. It never made sense to auto-tune people like Ariana Grande (who is a technically amazing singer with a great natural voice), or even indie artists like Panic! At The Disco (who again is a great singer and doesn't actually need to be auto-tuned), so it was a stylistic choice to fit in with what was perceived as a "modern" sound.

• @NeuM said:
    Biggest argument against auto-tune? Neil Young. Horrendous singer, but it’s a style all his own.

Neil Young actually sings in tune, it's the timbre of his voice that is slightly grating. Same with Bob Dylan (like he says in the film Don't Look Back: "I still hit those notes").

The one who would sound really weird with Auto-Tune would be Joni Mitchell, her stylistic warbles would break the algorithm.

• @u0421793 said:
    Last Friday I was in a hurry and quickly sang the entire lyric to one of my songs that I’m remaking, while I had the time to myself. Later, when it came time to do the flex pitch in LPX I was surprised that I hardly needed it at all, I was as close as I need to be, throughout. I did tweak the flex pitch sparsely here and there, while I was on the flex pitch mode, but if I didn’t, it would’ve been about the same result. I was quite pleased.

I've finally got to the point where my vocals sound better if they're not tuned: the pitch correction adds some subtle phasing that makes the voice sound weird, so now I prefer to do without it, even if there is the odd bum note in the performance.

Having said that I'm really grateful that Melodyne allowed me to record songs while I was learning to sing, because that allowed me to learn singing and songwriting at the same time. It took me about five years to go from strangled cat to passable, and a couple more after that to be able to sing decent harmonies.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @richardyot said:

@NeuM said:
    Biggest argument against auto-tune? Neil Young. Horrendous singer, but it’s a style all his own.

Neil Young actually sings in tune, it's the timbre of his voice that is slightly grating. Same with Bob Dylan (like he says in the film Don't Look Back: "I still hit those notes").

The one who would sound really weird with Auto-Tune would be Joni Mitchell, her stylistic warbles would break the algorithm.

True dat. I can't listen to Dylan for more than a few seconds. I have nothing against him or his music, I just can't help it, it's a physically disturbing sensation.

• Case closed.

• @mistercharlie said:

Case closed.

Case reopened. 😂 😂 😂

• Related; has everyone seen the NPR Tiny Desk where T-Pain performs without auto tune?

• Autotune is the chipmunks from the 80's

• @Identor said:
    Autotune is the chipmunks from the 80's

Hell yah! i’ve slowed down a little since then but I still love the Chipmunks.

• @flo26 said:
    Something to add?

Yes, i cant help agreeing with the guy in the video. Auto-tuned vocals often sound dreadful when i hear them in pop songs, really strange artefacts. But at the same time i think it is very early days for the technology. The voice is a hugely subtle and expressive instrument like no other and there many qualities that auto tune doesn’t help with if we are talking about “fixing” vocals. But i also hope that some developers bring us more expressive and imaginative tools with which to transform the voice. I own Melodyne but find it really longxwinded to do anything interesting with.

• I know it’s not auto tune, but my fave Neil Young vocal performance is this masterpiece:

• @jebni said:
    I know it’s not auto tune, but my fave Neil Young vocal performance is this masterpiece:

>

Neil gets it.

• edited June 2021

i was very entertained by this video, good stuff, love this genre. it’s mostly rockist bs of course and a very sad and harmful discourse. but still entertaining.

and by the way, dylan’s voice is fantastic.

• These videos are so silly. How can the modern sound be the death of the modern sound? What “modern sound” does he assume auto tune has killed? Auto tune is an expressive tool for creatives. He’s basically saying “I’m not against people using auto-tune as a tool or effect, I’m just against them using it as a tool or effect in a way I don’t like.

Will it sound “dated” in the future? Of course. As does any signature sound of any era including most of the records Beato has nostalgia for.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wish it had been used for ‘Tainted Love’ and ‘Electric Dreams’... Oh, and ‘You Can Ring My Bell’...

• edited September 2021

From the title I thought the developer Auto-tune released a new fx app. Which I want even though I know It’ll be cliche/controversial in 20 yrs.