Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammerhead 25th Anniversary Edition - Out Now!

Comments

• @onerez said:
    @Fingolfinzz Holy crap man!!!! That’s insane.

Agreed, mate! That's some next-level wizardry and exercise in patience to setup that beast :lol:

@jolico that track is an awesome journey to the past, mate :love:

• @Eurikon said:
    @brambos
    I have AUM set to 48khz, since my whole setup is running in 48khz ADAT.
    When I load HammerHead in AUM it all sounds repitched, when setting AUM to 44.1khz all sounds as it should.

I just ran a device in 44100 and one in 48000 side by side - and tried both with internal audio and external interface - and they sounded absolutely identical in all 4 instances, so my engine seems to respond to samplerates correctly.

Could you please confirm it's a reproducible/repeatable issue on your end?

• @senhorlampada said:

@onerez said:
    @Fingolfinzz Holy crap man!!!! That’s insane.

Agreed, mate! That's some next-level wizardry and exercise in patience to setup that beast :lol:

@jolico that track is an awesome journey to the past, mate :love:

• @brambos said:

@Eurikon said:
    @brambos
    When I load HammerHead in AUM it all sounds repitched, when setting AUM to 44.1khz all sounds as it should.

I just ran a device in 44100 and one in 48000 side by side - and tried both with internal audio and external interface - and they sounded absolutely identical in all 4 instances, so my engine seems to respond to samplerates correctly.

i did the test too on my ipad 11 pro 2018 14.6 , no such problem for me

• @tk32 said:
    @Poppadocrock

If you make a nice sound with the drum synth, you could always store it by taking a screenshot.

Not ideal, i know, but this is roughly how recording studios used to recall their presets, with pen and paper, in the pre-digital era.

True. Thanks.

• edited June 2021

@brambos said:

@Diffrenzy said:
    I remember playing around with the original Hammerhead on PC, but do not recall paying anything o_O, so naturally this was an instabuy. :-)

It is absolutely stellar, responsive and easy to use, but have already given cause to some questions:

1. When using C0-etc to trigger sequences, recording real-time in Cubase records both the trigger note, and the sequence. Is the a way to record only trigger notes, or only the midi output from hammerhead?

I don't think so, but since the MIDI output and the trigger notes don't overlap it's easy to remove them in post-editing. Just filter/remove everything below Octave 1.

But it's worth checking if Cubasis has a trick for it. MIDI input/output recording is something that largely depends on the host's implementation.

1. Is there a way to have the midi output from hammerhead, land on the 8 sub tracks, instead of having them all recorded on the master track? (I often use ude individual midi tracks for each drum)

No, multi-out is an audio only concept. The audio output channels have no relation to the MIDI notes that are being output.

1. Are there any sound preview triggers on the app?

I've already added an Audition button to the UI for 1.0.1. Coming any moment :)

3 = Awesome that be a great addition. Cheers.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@stormbeats said:
    @brambos Really want to purchase after all the positive reviews Couple questions
    1. How are sounds/samples triggered when sequencing / recording . Drum pads etc?

There are no drum pads. There is a sequencer only. It doesn't record to the sequencer. If you're looking to use it like BM3 or EG Pulse, it doesn't work that way. That's not to say you can't drive it from the midi out from another app if you prefer. Its sequencer is hella fun to work with though.

1. Groove / swing quantize?

The sequencer has swing. The sequencer, by definition, is quantized. In addition to the swing knob there is a "Soul" knob that adds very subtle groove / humanization.

1. Is there a bitcrush/decimate effect?

Not in the way you're thinking, I expect. There are several types of distortion, some of which approach bit crush territory. It's a global setting, so the same distortion for all sounds, though you can choose which sounds have distortion or not.

The manual should answer all your questions in one quick read: https://ruismaker.com/wp-content/uploads/Hammerhead_Manual.pdf

• edited June 2021

When recording Hammerhead patterns in Cubasis 2, some notes double-trigger, two notes on top of each other or directly next to each other. Usually the first note of a pattern. This happens in a few other apps, but not all. Is this a Cubasis problem, or something relative to the apps?

• @musikeer said:
    When recording Hammerhead patterns in Cubasis 2, some notes double-trigger, two notes on top of each other or directly next to each other. Usually the first note of a pattern. This happens in a few other apps, but not all. Is this a Cubasis problem, or something relative to the apps?

Don’t forget to disable HH’s internal sequencer after recording or when it loops, or you may get double triggers. Could that be what’s happening?

• edited June 2021

@tk32 said:

@stormbeats said:
    @brambos Really want to purchase after all the positive reviews Couple questions
    1. How are sounds/samples triggered when sequencing / recording . Drum pads etc?
    2. Groove / swing quantize?
    3. Is there a bitcrush/decimate effect?

1. Assuming I've understood your question - you can trigger the pads via MIDI just the same as in previous BramBos drum apps (e.g. Ruismaker). The mappings are the same
    2. There are shuffle/soul dials in the top left corner. You can also do triplets and other exotic syncopations by adjusting the divisions and steps for individual channels - or else use an external sequencer with more advanced swing controls, like Atom2.
    3. Some of the distortion modes have a bitcrush style, but there is no dedicated bitcrusher (you'll have to pre-crush your samples before importing them to HH)

Finally... and please don't take this the wrong way... but is it really appropriate to @ the developer to answer questions that you could probably figure out via the ABF community, screenshots, the HH manual or youtube videos [1][2]?

@tk32 cheers and yes it’s appropiate because there is no pressure on the developer to answer or any one on here. I do appreciate your info though

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:

There are no drum pads. There is a sequencer only. It doesn't record to the sequencer. If you're looking to use it like BM3 or EG Pulse, it doesn't work that way. That's not to say you can't drive it from the midi out from another app if you prefer. Its sequencer is hella fun to work with though.

1. Groove / swing quantize?

The sequencer has swing. The sequencer, by definition, is quantized. In addition to the swing knob there is a "Soul" knob that adds very subtle groove / humanization.

1. Is there a bitcrush/decimate effect?

Not in the way you're thinking, I expect. There are several types of distortion, some of which approach bit crush territory. It's a global setting, so the same distortion for all sounds, though you can choose which sounds have distortion or not.

The manual should answer all your questions in one quick read: https://ruismaker.com/wp-content/uploads/Hammerhead_Manual.pdf

@wim thanks for info

• edited June 2021

@brambos said:

@musikeer said:

Don’t forget to disable HH’s internal sequencer after recording or when it loops, or you may get double triggers. Could that be what’s happening?

Hi... and no, it's always disabled after recording MIDI. I've noticed this with Riffer as well. But relatively easy to correct, using a filter or just deleting the doubled MIDI notes. Is this something you can duplicate/confirm too?

Thanks again for a really great app!

• I’ve noticed that pitch adjustment isn’t included in the midi out, @Brambos any chance that could be added?

• @RJB said:
    I’ve noticed that pitch adjustment isn’t included in the midi out, @Brambos any chance that could be added?

I thought about asking for this too, but how would pitch be incorporated if the tracks are already represented by different notes?

• @NoiseFloored said:

@RJB said:
    I’ve noticed that pitch adjustment isn’t included in the midi out, @Brambos any chance that could be added?

I thought about asking for this too, but how would pitch be incorporated if the tracks are already represented by different notes?

Good point, but If each pitch iteration transposed the note midi out by a semitone it would make for a sweet 8 channel sequencer. And running it thru Scaler would take care of the key and scale. This is already an amazing Groovebox and I love it but this addition would be great for outputting arpeggios or bass-lines…

• @RJB said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@RJB said:

Good point, but If each pitch iteration transposed the note midi out by a semitone it would make for a sweet 8 channel sequencer. And running it thru Scaler would take care of the key and scale. This is already an amazing Groovebox and I love it but this addition would be great for outputting arpeggios or bass-lines…

Ah, with each track going to a different channel? I get it

• edited June 2021

@NoiseFloored said:

@RJB said:

@NoiseFloored said:

@RJB said:

Ah, with each track going to a different channel? I get it

Rerouting the midi notes to separate channels could be done via drambo
    using the ‘midi note filter’ module and
    the ‘midi out’ module.
    It would need eight of each module
    but it’s certainly doable.

• edited June 2021

Here’s a screenshot with the notes filtered
    going through to separate midi outs.
    Hammerhead is off screen as I quickly put this together on my phone hence why the midi outs are not yet assigned.

Edit.

For the keen eyed there’s
    a mistake in the screenshot.

• But Drambo wouldn’t catch the pitch changes in Hammerhead would it? Or am I confused?

• Right, for both multi track MIDI output and pitch modulation to work at the same time you’d either need the tracks to use different MIDI channels or different MIDI outs (like Fugue Machine)

• @RJB said:
    But Drambo wouldn’t catch the pitch changes in Hammerhead would it? Or am I confused?

Correct.
    I’ve had a look at the notes going out
    per track and they remain constant.
    The pitch changes in Hammerhead
    seem to be audio only.

Here’s a suggestion.

You could trigger something that has
    pitch info such as a ‘cv sequencer’
    or change the midi notes on the fly.
    You could do either in MiRack and/or dRambo.

I find it easier to do this in dRambo.

Either way it won’t be the pitch
    changes that Hammerhead is doing.

I also attempted to automate the
    inbuilt drum synth only to find that
    the parameters are not available.

It doesn’t matter though as we do have individual drum outs to apply effects.

• Ok, thanks for the details. Looks like my only hope of a Hammerhead melodic 8 track sequencer is with the creator. Not god, Brambos!

• @RJB said:
    Ok, thanks for the details. Looks like my only hope of a Hammerhead melodic 8 track sequencer is with the creator. Not god, Brambos!

I was going to say...😏
    Cool.

I’ve got Hammerhead triggering
    cv sequencers on my phone now
    so thanks for that.

• Not sure if this has been posted here before but Leo does a very comprehensive deep dive into Hammerhead. Well worth watching if you are thinking about getting the app:

• edited June 2021

So, I built this simple script on Mozaic (my very first script, so every single suggestion/critique is more than welcome 😊). It can be used both, with the internal sequencer On (and host playing) and with the internal sequencer Off (and host stopped).
    I still want to change/add some things, but I cannot figure out how to do it yet (I'm really really noobie on scripts/codes, but I'm getting into it now, really interesting world).
    Of course, this is meant to be used alongside with a MIDI controller that sends out CC messages.

• edited June 2021

@brambos said:

@Eurikon said:
    @brambos

Explain: ran a device @44 & @48, do you mean 2 iPads?

It occurs when the ADAT clock source is set to external (RME babyface pro is set to sync to external ADAT clock @48).
    When I run the audiointerface with internal clock source the behavior is normal.

It might be something at my end then, or related to AUM.

• edited June 2021

I have noticed that Ableton live 11/ Bitwig 4, both exports and read it’s probability data in a midi file, it seems that LK can read this\these data also but not export it… @sinosoidal

Midi export could be …. Nice..
    and doubling down on the Record Automation thing.. (DrumLad)..

Nice… Thanks..

• Ableton Link ?

• Is there any way to mute a channel on the master out but not the multibus out?

• @ronnieb said:
    Is there any way to mute a channel on the master out but not the multibus out?

That will be possible in 1.0.1. I will be submitting that to Apple today.