Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @tk32 fantastic work!!! It’s beautiful.

• edited June 2021

@xor

My advice is to not use pattern switching, but to do this with 2 separate instances of Atom2 (one containing Pattern A - 2 bars, and one containing Pattern B - 4 bars). You simply put them both into 'Hold' mode and Send launch signals from your Orchestrator Atom.

Excuse the rushed visuals, but here's a quick diagram...

• @tk32 I think I mentioned this before but here’s a reproducible case… start adding a note at c-1 and then drag right letting your finger fall out of the bottom of the window. Crash on lifting up.

• @tk32 said:
    @xor

My advice is to not use pattern switching, but to do this with 2 separate instances of Atom2 (one containing Pattern A - 2 bars, and one containing Pattern B - 4 bars). You simply put them both into 'Hold' mode and Send launch signals from your Orchestrator Atom.

Excuse the rushed visuals, but here's a quick diagram...

Thanks.

I’d given up on hold mode when I ran into the bug that prevents you from using notes to control both hold mode and pattern switching. I don’t like using velocity because editing velocity is such a pain. Since you can only offset the velocity I need to do it in two steps, decrease it it to 0 then increase it to the value I’m after. I’m hoping automation editing solves this. Anyway, for these cases I guess I’ll suck it up and use hold + volume because I’m only going back to separate instances kicking and screaming.

• @tk32 is there a problem using different triggering styles in the same session? A note starting at the beginning of a pattern isn’t playing. There’s a master orchestrator that triggers a section orchestrator that triggers the instrument sequencer. Here’s the result…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfnw0byq6plynlm/Atom launch problem.aumproj?dl=0

• edited June 2021

@xor said:
    @tk32 is there a problem using different triggering styles in the same session? A note starting at the beginning of a pattern isn’t playing. There’s a master orchestrator that triggers a section orchestrator that triggers the instrument sequencer. Here’s the result…

I'll take a look. Are you orchestrating the pattern switches via an Atom2 instance, or using another sequencer like Helium or LK?

• @tk32 said:

@xor said:
    @tk32 is there a problem using different triggering styles in the same session? A note starting at the beginning of a pattern isn’t playing. There’s a master orchestrator that triggers a section orchestrator that triggers the instrument sequencer. Here’s the result…

I'll take a look. Are you orchestrating the pattern switches via an Atom2 instance, or using another sequencer like Helium or LK?

Take a look at the aum session link. It’s all atom.

• edited June 2021

@xor said:

I had a look. There were two things that I identified which could be causing issues:

1. There were 3 Atom’s daisy chained together when you only needed two. In your project, clip 1 is switching patterns in clip 2, then clip 2 is triggering pattern changes in clip 3 (which is then routed to Pure Piano). This shouldn’t be an issue, but could have been.
    2. The final Atom in the chain was allowing thru input, which meant that the trigger notes were being passed through to the audio plugin. This may have explained the dropped note you experienced in your earlier video.

I have ‘fixed’ your project and added my own little melody to demonstrate it working correctly…

In this example clip 1 is sending trigger notes into clip 2 that tell it when to change pattern. As you can see (and hear) everything is working correctly with no dropped notes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c59kbzhqsoyqtj/Pattern launch fix for XOR.aumproj?dl=0

• @tk32 said:

@xor said:

I had a look. There were two things that I identified which could be causing issues:

1. There were 3 Atom’s daisy chained together when you only needed two. In your project, clip 1 is switching patterns in clip 2, then clip 2 is triggering pattern changes in clip 3 (which is then routed to Pure Piano). This shouldn’t be an issue, but could have been.
    2. The final Atom in the chain was allowing thru input, which meant that the trigger notes were being passed through to the audio plugin. This may have explained the dropped note you experienced in your earlier video.

I have ‘fixed’ your project and added my own little melody to demonstrate it working correctly…

In this example clip 1 is sending trigger notes into clip 2 that tell it when to change pattern. As you can see (and hear) everything is working correctly with no dropped notes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c59kbzhqsoyqtj/Pattern launch fix for XOR.aumproj?dl=0

This was a simplified example extracted from the project where I need the tree levels, sometimes four.

• edited June 2021

@xor

OK. I’ll run some tests with nested pattern switching and get back to you.

My hunch is that there will be a limit to how many layers of clips you can have switching each others’ patterns using a real-time MIDI event. If it’s essential for you to have lots of nested atoms in this way, you may need to set you orchestrator Atoms to send their pattern switch signals in the final 16th or 32nd note before the downbeat, rather than on the beat.

Like I said, I’ll do some testing and get back to you.

• @tk32 said:
    @xor

OK. I’ll run some tests with nested pattern switching and get back to you.

My hunch is that there will be a limit to how many layers of clips you can have switching each others’ patterns using a real-time MIDI event. If it’s essential for you to have lots of nested atoms in this way, you may need to set you orchestrator Atoms to send their pattern switch signals in the final 16th or 32nd note before the downbeat, rather than on the beat.

Like I said, I’ll do some testing and get back to you.

I tried a few other configurations (A is master orchestrator, B is section orchestrator and C is the instrument sequencer), tests were combinations of clip (auto/note)/pattern (note/velocity) launch modes:

• B auto/note C auto/note: everything works fine
    • B auto/note. C note/velocity: everything works fine
    • B note/velocity C note/velocity: fails as described in video
    • B note/velocity C auto/note: fails as described in video [roriginally reported case]

So it only seems to be a problem when the intermediate orchestrator is using a launch note for the clip and patterns selected by velocity. That seems to be a different case of what I ran into before, using notes to launch clips and notes to select patterns. Maybe it’s just a general bug that you can’t launch a clip and select a pattern?

• @xor

I have a feeling the pattern switch 'listener' is only activated once the clip is launched.

If this is true then it may not be possible to launch a clip with a specific pattern all in one single real-time action. For this setup you would need multiple Atom clips at the end of your 3-layer chain for each of the patterns. I haven't tested yet, so I could be wrong.

• hi, let’s say i want to select a long midi clip without 4 first bars. I cannot zoom out that much and if i double click ‚select’ the whole clip is highlighted, and this is not what i am after. Is there anything like additive selection, step by step..?

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@zah7 said:
    hi, let’s say i want to select a long midi clip without 4 first bars. I cannot zoom out that much and if i double click ‚select’ the whole clip is highlighted, and this is not what i am after. Is there anything like additive selection, step by step..?

One way is to select the first four bars and hit the trashcan icon. Then double-tap to select all and move the rest back to the beginning.

• I agree with Wim's suggestion. You could even duplicate the pattern first before deleting the first 4 bars, so that you don't lose anything.

Another way to achieve the same result is to move the loop markers so they encapsulate the section you want to keep and then use the crop to loop command.

Even if it were possible to zoom out enough, large selections can be tricky because the more zoomed out you are the less fine precision you have with your marquee tool/fingers.

• thanks for your suggestions, but in the long run we would need something more handy. How about a solution like the one in Auria: https://streamable.com/rn205d
    That would be helpful :)

• Can you send midi files from Atom 2 to Protools?

I am working on a few songs for the BIG studio and would like to be able to pre-write parts and send them over.. Appreciate any help and advice!

ATOM 2 is AMAZING!!!

• @BongoJak said:
    Can you send midi files from Atom 2 to Protools?

I am working on a few songs for the BIG studio and would like to be able to pre-write parts and send them over.. Appreciate any help and advice!

ATOM 2 is AMAZING!!!

Yes, Atom exports midi files.

• Can recording, arming, erasing and muting clips be fully automated/MIDI controlled? What about switching patterns? Can't use a touchscreen live because I'm busy. And I want to be able to do everything live.

Instabuy then.

• Will a Launchpad Mini Mk2 also work?

• @Max_Free said:
    Will a Launchpad Mini Mk2 also work?

Mini mk2 is not supported natively. You could try adapting the Included mini mk3 script, or see if someone else in the community might help with this task.

Otherwise you will only be able to use the mk2 as a generic MIDI controller with atom 2, and not get all the cool integrations available from the launchpad scripts.

• Have been very out of the loop but was wondering if it is still planned for Atom to get editable automation & probability per note in the future?

• @ronnieb said:
    Have been very out of the loop but was wondering if it is still planned for Atom to get editable automation & probability per note in the future?

Editable automation is planned for sure.

• @Max_Free said:
    Can recording, arming, erasing and muting clips be fully automated/MIDI controlled? What about switching patterns? Can't use a touchscreen live because I'm busy. And I want to be able to do everything live.

Instabuy then.

There are AU parameters for Record, Clear Pattern, and Mute. So Yes on all three.

• New to Atom2 but not to sequencing (way back to yamaha QX1 days). Got the owner's manual but don't see any mention of a couple of things:

1) Can Atom2 record WITHOUT a loop length predetermined? ie, record until want to stop regardless of any oop settings (or is Atom2 only a loop recorder (like all the other auv3 MIDI recorders I've come across)

2) After recording into a 32 bar section, there appears to be NO way to return to bar 1. My view is "stuck" on the final handful of measures. Without being able to move along in the timeline of what I just recorded, editing is impossible... am I missing something?

3) Undo seems to be step by step. Is there an "undo take" function... so I don't have to manually select everything in the take and clear? Very cumbersome

4) sure wish there were basic transport controls in the Atom GUI so one coudl navigate through the recorded timeline, or at very least click a "return" to top of track button (as in LoopBud)

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions...
    bob

• @Fryer99 said:
    New to Atom2 but not to sequencing (way back to yamaha QX1 days). Got the owner's manual but don't see any mention of a couple of things:

1) Can Atom2 record WITHOUT a loop length predetermined? ie, record until want to stop regardless of any oop settings (or is Atom2 only a loop recorder (like all the other auv3 MIDI recorders I've come across)

Currently, you need to preset the clip length. Btw, clips aren't necessarily loops. I have created an 64 bar clip and saved it as a preset. Hopefully, a more friendly way of setting initial clip length will be implemented even if arbitrary recording length doesnt come along

2) After recording into a 32 bar section, there appears to be NO way to return to bar 1. My view is "stuck" on the final handful of measures. Without being able to move along in the timeline of what I just recorded, editing is impossible... am I missing something?

It supports the standard iOS zoom and scroll gestures. You can two-finger drag to scroll.

• @Fryer99 said:
    New to Atom2 but not to sequencing (way back to yamaha QX1 days). Got the owner's manual but don't see any mention of a couple of things:

3) Undo seems to be step by step. Is there an "undo take" function... so I don't have to manually select everything in the take and clear? Very cumbersome

4) sure wish there were basic transport controls in the Atom GUI so one coudl navigate through the recorded timeline, or at very least click a "return" to top of track button (as in LoopBud)

Following up... seems most of my navigation questions are covered in the OM, typical iPad multi-finger swipes and the like.

However, still not clear on item 1 above... Can I just record into Atom2 for an undefined length of time, as with most / all sequencers for Mac OS? (ie, hit record and just start playing) ... or must I first establish a loop length and always only record to a fixed loop length?

thanks!
    bob

• @Fryer99 said:

@Fryer99 said:

Following up... seems most of my navigation questions are covered in the OM, typical iPad multi-finger swipes and the like.

However, still not clear on item 1 above... Can I just record into Atom2 for an undefined length of time, as with most / all sequencers for Mac OS? (ie, hit record and just start playing) ... or must I first establish a loop length and always only record to a fixed loop length?

thanks!
    bob

No. You must specify the length first.

• @Fryer99 said:

@Fryer99 said:

thanks!
    bob

See my response above: you need to set the clip length before recording. You can make it arbitrarily ling and crop after recording. It can be useful to create a preset of 64 or 128 bars or something that you use as a starting point.

• @Fryer99 said:

No. You need to set a length. As mentioned above, an easy way to do that is to create a long empty pattern, then save it as a preset for easy recall. Then just record and set the length later.