Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammerhead 25th Anniversary Edition - Out Now!

Comments

• @ehehehe said:
    Seems okay but sounds alot like Ruismaker to me, which I adore. This seems simpler synth-wize, so it’s a pass from me so far. Quality dev no doubt.

Well I don't know you or what kind of music you make but I know that you're a Cubasis and Drum Computer user from previous threads.

HH works beautifully with CB3. Midi output to CB3's piano roll is rock solid. Even better though is that HH patterns can be triggered by holding down a note (c0 for pattern 1, c#0 for pattern 2 etc). Release the note and the pattern stops. In practice this makes for quick and easy song building as well as for fun cut-up drum n bass style madness.
    Add in crazy good glitch and mutation randomness, a really versatile and powerful sequencer, great built-in samples, simple but powerful synth, a fun easy mixer with compression and distortion controls and sample import.

A devastatingly powerful but intuitive drum machine for peanuts.

• Yeah the pattern triggering, combined with the simplicity of pattern making is just wonderful, and with the mutation / chance / glitch makes this so lovely to build with…

• edited June 2021

@brambos said:
    The multi-out is in the standard Audio Unit, there's no separate multi-out version of the plugin.
    Mix/master output = channel 0
    Instrument 1 = channel 1
    Instrument 2 = channel 2
    etc.

Ah. Ok, got it, thank you!

(I was under the wrong impression that I could route each channel to a separate (audio) lane in Audiobus, since i think i saw that in another video, and I thought my other multiout apps were letting me do that with them too. But the video i watched was using AUM, not Audiobus, and my other multiout apps actually cannot do it either.

But it’s no problem for me to just have, for example, three instances of Hammerhead each running the same preset, but different channels soloed and with their own lane so I can add separate effects chains and such to those separate channels.

But I’m new to Audiobus, so if there actually is a way to separate out one instance of a multiout app’s channels to their own audio lanes like AUM, someone please let me know.)

• @brambos …. Hmmmm. Nasty crash happened here.

What happened: I was using Atom2 to sequence pattern changes.. I was fooling around and did not like how pattern 2 was not being cutoff when going back to pattern 1. Prolly cause there was a longer sample in there that was playing. Soooooo I am an idiot and went in and clicked choke off to see if any changes would happened and it crashed…. I lost my whole kit( my bad for not saving it). But FYI. I can reproduce consistently on new IPad M1 Pro 12.9 with latest iOS.

• @onerez said:
    @brambos …. Hmmmm. Nasty crash happened here.

What happened: I was using Atom2 to sequence pattern changes.. I was fooling around and did not like how pattern 2 was not being cutoff when going back to pattern 1. Prolly cause there was a longer sample in there that was playing. Soooooo I am an idiot and went in and clicked choke off to see if any changes would happened and it crashed…. I lost my whole kit( my bad for not saving it). But FYI. I can reproduce consistently on new IPad M1 Pro 12.9 with latest iOS.

Thanks, going to fix that right away.

• @onerez said:

Hmmm, I can't reproduce the crash with choke's on my iPad Air 2 (iPadOS14.6) but I did notice that there's no way to set the 'choke' for the samples under the 'Classic' tab nor is there a way to change the 'length' of them (double speed loops etc.).

So far HammerHead has been very stable for me...

• @brambos The more I use HH the more I love it. I just adore the drum synth's deceptive simplicity: there's so much joy in that one FM knob alone. HH is the antidote to overcomplicated musical rigs. You've done a great thing m'man.

• @brambos said:

@onerez said:

Thanks, going to fix that right away.

Ya it could have been me just clicking to many things. Sorry to bother you on a Sunday 😕.

@Samu yes It has been rock solid but I must have had some combination that when I clicked that choke it just killed everything.

• @Spidericemidas @craftycurate haha thanks man, if only!! But yeah it’s a testament to how cool this app is!!!!!

• This app is instant fun. The presets are sounding great and lots of possibilities to shape your sound.

• edited June 2021

@Jumpercollins said:
    Can we use Hammerhead multi out inside Drambo? Not seeing multi out listed ?

Yup we can.

Instantiate Hammerhead as an auv3 instrument in dRambo stand-alone.

Select input on the module that you would like to send Hammerhead to.
    Select output from Hammerhead and connect as per normal.

In this screenshot I’m using an ‘Amp’ module.

Note;

Hammerhead output 0 = 1 in dRambo
    Therefore Hammerhead output 1-8 = 2-9 in dRambo.

• Loving Hammerhead, instant gratification. @brambos just does it right.
    I do have a couple of requests that I miss and believe would be very useful.

• Decoupling sequence data from sounds in a preset, so you can try out different sounds/kits once you got a sequence going.
    • I’d really like to have some “global” adjustments per kit piece. Like have a shorter decay on a kick, or tune down a sample without having to dial it on each step. In short, provide that control on a “kit piece” level. We have that in Ruismaker (decay, tune, etc).
    • Sort of related to the above… being able to save and recall individual kit pieces, like save a custom sample kick (goes with the previous point if you could modify some aspects of the sound), and have like “favorites” that you could go through.
    • Finally it’d be amazing if instead of choosing classic, user samples or drum synth we could combine them (i understand this one might be huge).

Congratulations on a grrreat app!

• edited June 2021

Legendary... HH brings back a lot of memories :)
    Nice memories and memories of crappy old computers and annoying WIndhows, 0days and well everything hahaha.

Thanks for bringing this one back Bram, bought!
    (one thing though, if you ask me the master volume should not be saved with a preset, it can be annoying when switching from preset to preset)

• @gusgranite said:

@rud said:
    Thank you @gusgranite I’ll get streambyter 👍

Is StreamByter free now?

For anyone who has Midi Tools, here’s a preset mapping Hammerhead to Slammer. To map it to a different drum app you just need to change the transpose values for each range.

@gusgranite Thanks for the preset, I don’t think I’d have figured it out. Piece of cake modify the preset to get Hammerhead triggering DrumLab and my old favorite, DM1.

• edited June 2021

@drcongo said:

@Proppa said:
    One feature my hands keep reaching for is filter lanes in the sequencer: ideally a simple high-pass / low-pass akin to the Volca Sample applicable on a per-step basis. Like the existing Pitch sliders in the sequencer the filter could default to bypass (inactive) in the middle and incrementally cut bass when sliding up and cut highs when sliding down. This would be so useful within the already-expressive sequencer.

+1 that would be amazingly useful

There’s always the amazingly free Filterstep, though I haven’t tried the two together yet.

• Blown away, absolutely love this drum synth/sequencer. Sometimes I buy apps and then I am underwhelmed but not in this case, Brilliant!

• @brambos one more thing: any chance of getting the samples used in some of the guest presets?

• @ahallam said:

@drcongo said:

@Proppa said:
    One feature my hands keep reaching for is filter lanes in the sequencer: ideally a simple high-pass / low-pass akin to the Volca Sample applicable on a per-step basis. Like the existing Pitch sliders in the sequencer the filter could default to bypass (inactive) in the middle and incrementally cut bass when sliding up and cut highs when sliding down. This would be so useful within the already-expressive sequencer.

+1 that would be amazingly useful

There’s always the amazingly free Filterstep, though I haven’t tried the two together yet.

One could quite feasible use the
    multi outs and apply filters that way.

Easily done in both AUM and dRambo.

• Finally found some time to spend playing around with this. So much better than I thought it would be - I’m thinking of clearing out some older drum apps now as they will be redundant with HH available.

• edited June 2021

@michael_m said:
    Finally found some time to spend playing around with this. So much better than I thought it would be - I’m thinking of clearing out some older drum apps now as they will be redundant with HH available.

Just in case you're planning on removing the Ruismakers: don't; they are nice pairing to this. Exporting a loop from Ruismaker and FM and then mangling it with Hammerhead is excellent.

• Undo/Redo Button?

• @NoiseFloored said:

@michael_m said:
    Finally found some time to spend playing around with this. So much better than I thought it would be - I’m thinking of clearing out some older drum apps now as they will be redundant with HH available.

Just in case you're planning on removing the Ruismakers: don't; they are nice pairing to this. Exporting a loop from Ruismaker and FM and then mangling it with Hammerhead is excellent.

Definitely not. I’m thinking more of apps that are modeled around specific hardware for the most part. Don’t plan on removing any of Bram’s apps.

• The sequencer is really fantastic, I love how you can build everything from the view mode and get a beat laid out insanely quickly. This app completely changed my workflow and streamlined a lot of workarounds I’ve been dealing with

• I remember playing around with the original Hammerhead on PC, but do not recall paying anything o_O, so naturally this was an instabuy. :-)

It is absolutely stellar, responsive and easy to use, but have already given cause to some questions:

1. When using C0-etc to trigger sequences, recording real-time in Cubase records both the trigger note, and the sequence. Is the a way to record only trigger notes, or only the midi output from hammerhead?
    2. Is there a way to have the midi output from hammerhead, land on the 8 sub tracks, instead of having them all recorded on the master track? (I often use ude individual midi tracks for each drum)
    3. Are there any sound preview triggers on the app?
  • edited June 2021

@Diffrenzy said:
    I remember playing around with the original Hammerhead on PC, but do not recall paying anything o_O, so naturally this was an instabuy. :-)

It is absolutely stellar, responsive and easy to use, but have already given cause to some questions:

1. When using C0-etc to trigger sequences, recording real-time in Cubase records both the trigger note, and the sequence. Is the a way to record only trigger notes, or only the midi output from hammerhead?

I don't think so, but since the MIDI output and the trigger notes don't overlap it's easy to remove them in post-editing. Just filter/remove everything below Octave 1.

But it's worth checking if Cubasis has a trick for it. MIDI input/output recording is something that largely depends on the host's implementation.

1. Is there a way to have the midi output from hammerhead, land on the 8 sub tracks, instead of having them all recorded on the master track? (I often use ude individual midi tracks for each drum)

No, multi-out is an audio only concept. The audio output channels have no relation to the MIDI notes that are being output.

1. Are there any sound preview triggers on the app?

I've already added an Audition button to the UI for 1.0.1. Coming any moment :)

• @brambos Really want to purchase after all the positive reviews Couple questions
    1. How are sounds/samples triggered when sequencing / recording . Drum pads etc?
    2. Groove / swing quantize?
    3. Is there a bitcrush/decimate effect?

• @brambos : Thanks,and congrats on another great app.
    1) I'll draw sequencer events or filter out.
    2) Ok, I'll move them manually then.
    3) Great news, it will be good for dialing in synth parameters and choosing samples.

• edited June 2021

@stormbeats said:
    @brambos Really want to purchase after all the positive reviews Couple questions
    1. How are sounds/samples triggered when sequencing / recording . Drum pads etc?
    2. Groove / swing quantize?
    3. Is there a bitcrush/decimate effect?

1. Assuming I've understood your question - you can trigger the pads via MIDI just the same as in previous BramBos drum apps (e.g. Ruismaker). The mappings are the same
    2. There are shuffle/soul dials in the top left corner. You can also do triplets and other exotic syncopations by adjusting the divisions and steps for individual channels - or else use an external sequencer with more advanced swing controls, like Atom2.
    3. Some of the distortion modes have a bitcrush style, but there is no dedicated bitcrusher (you'll have to pre-crush your samples before importing them to HH)

Finally... and please don't take this the wrong way... but is it really appropriate to @ the developer to answer questions that you could probably figure out via the ABF community, screenshots, the HH manual or youtube videos [1][2]?

• @brambos
    I have AUM set to 48khz, since my whole setup is running in 48khz ADAT.
    When I load HammerHead in AUM it all sounds repitched, when setting AUM to 44.1khz all sounds as it should.

This should not be the case? Ie: i don’t notice this behavior in other apps.

• @Eurikon said:
    @brambos
    I have AUM set to 48khz, since my whole setup is running in 48khz ADAT.
    When I load HammerHead in AUM it all sounds repitched, when setting AUM to 44.1khz all sounds as it should.

This should not be the case? Ie: i don’t notice this behavior in other apps.

That's strange. It's an AUv3 plugin and (like all my other plugins) it automatically adapts to whatever frequency the host is running. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue, but I've been switching frequencies all the time and I haven't noticed this myself yet.