Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music notation app?

Hi, I know there are piano rolls apps etc, but interested in an app ideally AUv3 that would allow me to enter music notation and play midi apps etc via AUM.

Thanks.

Comments

• Been then and here's how close I am to your solution.

I have purchased 3 Notation Apps:

1. Symphony Pro - cheap but pretty buggy
    2. Notion - gets expensive to add sounds but it doesn't sound you want sound in the app.
    3. StaffPad - expensive but has the best sound library (also expensive) options

All three can generate/output MIDI files. NOTE: Staffpad adds an extension of *.MIDI and that messes with "what this file is" on IOS and I have to move one to iCloud and change the
    extension on my MacBook to *.MID Maybe someone has a better way to change the file type extension on IOS but I was stumped. I could see the extension but not change it's spelling.
    IOS calls the *.MIDI a MIDI Audio File but the apps don't seem to respond to the file type so it doesn't load. I was trying to load it into LK which I like for MIDI importing and playback in AUM. LK won't split the channels out however and I'm hoping they will add that feature or let me choose which MIDI Channels to import into a given track in LK.

The next Atom version/product might be a good option for MIDI playback. I also have used
    Musk MIDI File Player with good results. Many use Xequence 2 which runs as a standalone
    but can route MIDI easily into a DAW using AudioBus or CoreMIDI.

StaffPad requires an Apple pencil (no 3rd party pencils) to input notation and it takes time to master the gestures needed for notation. If anything about rendering symphonic quality audio appeals to you then watch YouTube demos of this amazing product.

I suspect you'll settle on Notion without the extra sounds. Once you have this MIDI file you'll probably have questions about what to load it into but maybe you're already there.

• So basically I need to write the music then export the midi file to something to play?

• edited January 2021

StaffPad was a game changer for me. It gets expensive once you start coveting the different sound packs. If you are not looking for orchestral sounds though then I would recommend MultiTrackStudio https://www.multitrackstudio.com/ which has a very capable score option which sits alongside the usual piano roll and would let you (for example) write score to drive a synth.

• @NimboStratus said:
    So basically I need to write the music then export the midi file to something to play?

Not with StaffPad or Notion. They can render your notes using sound libraries internal to the app. Both have additional sound file libraries. Watch some Youtube video demos of both products to choose what sounds best to you.

Most here use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) app like Cubasis 2 or 3, Auria Pro or AUM and tend to prefer the piano roll or direct MIDI input from a screen or external keyboard.

Notation is rare here expect for a few StaffPad users.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    MultiTrackStudio https://www.multitrackstudio.com/ which has a very capable score option.

Really... how are the notes input? Pencil handwritten or a point and click/drag and drop GUI?
    Like I need my 10th DAW... arg.

• edited January 2021

You add notes by touching the screen and there are then buttons similar to the note positioning buttons in NS2 which allow you to change the note duration (drag left/right) and note value (drag up/down). One nice thing for me is that you can position the note chromatically versus StaffPad which makes it awkward to write notes outside of the chosen key. There is a further button to position the note on the beat or beat division in the bar.

Rests are automatically added which I find convenient.

You can also select groups of notes and move them freely around the score which is very useful when you have written multiple bars of music and want to insert a few notes.

• I just got Tonality... free at the moment and AU. I read it has the ability to turn midi into grand staff notation.
    Not sure how comprehensive it is.

• @McD said:

All three can generate/output MIDI files. NOTE: Staffpad adds an extension of *.MIDI and that messes with "what this file is" on IOS and I have to move one to iCloud and change the
    extension on my MacBook to *.MID Maybe someone has a better way to change the file type extension on IOS but I was stumped. I could see the extension but not change it's spelling.

Have you tried exporting the midi file from Staffpad to Audioshare, then use Rename, keep extension, remove"i" from midi, save?

• @Gilbert said:

@McD said:

Have you tried exporting the midi file from Staffpad to Audioshare, then use Rename, keep extension, remove"i" from midi, save?

>

+1

• Notate Me Now not AU but exports midi.

• Flat is not AU but exports midi or MP3 or WAV, also subscription based.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flat-music-score-tab-editor/id1177592149