Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Pretty slick:

• Does this do anything that RoxSyn doesn’t? The description on vguitars sounds similar?

• Different one:

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    Does this do anything that RoxSyn doesn’t? The description on vguitars sounds similar?

Roxsyn is much better spec’d as a synth, has more and better effects and an arp. Space Guitar includes an amp simulation that leaves me cold. It also crashes constantly, both standalone and in AUM.

Edit: I’m not a guitarist therefore tried it with synth and drum sounds. Might sound better on guitar.

• Perhaps this is why the developer has released this as a beta test.

Please report your issues to them. That’s why it’s been released in beta mode.

• @SNystrom said:
    Pretty slick:

Now I like that! I’ll definitely be trying the app.

• edited March 2021

This app is really good !!
    The tracking is really impressive!
    No crahes for me.

• Wow that sounds way better than the crappy RoxSynth.

• Agree with y’all that this sounds better than Roxsyn, which is kind of baffling. Needs more presets but the building blocks are good. Tracking is excellent.

• I really dislike the sound of Roxsyn; this is so much better; much more organic sounding and responsive. In a way very similar to Roland's earliest VG models with the HRM algos; I still have two VG-8ex units. I like to take the raw sound and further process it with various effects in AUM, so extra presets isn't really a priority for me.

• This thing is amazing, Im using it several weeks, its very musical and it provides an excellent playing experience.
    Its made by an excellent musician and guitarist and it shows in the result.
    Just listen the demos he has on his facebook page, to see the possibilities of this instrument.

• It's a shame the tracking is so great, because it sounds sooo bad. Nothing like the video. Hopefully the dev has some work to do because this is worth encouraging. Personally I could do without the amp and cab/reverb section. I'm not really an all-in-one type of guy since I've already found amps/effects that I'm used to and comfortable with.

• It can sound like the videos, he uses the same software afaik, will not be fair if he does the opposite.
    Although, Paul is a very good player and that shows and of course makes a difference.
    Also, its AU so you can use it inside your host and along side your prefered amps or effects.

• edited March 2021

thanks for the feedback here!

I've added the "amp" to have eq, compression and a bit of distortion. It is not meant as a real guitar amp, it is more a channelstrip to shape the sound. You can turn the gain to max, keep the overdrive at 0 and you have a nice fast limiter /compressor. I just couldnt find a better name than "amp" for this section: you'll also see this name in other synths.

My demos are all 100% with just the app. If I leave the cabinet and reverb out, I can not provide an out of the box experience to the testing user. Cabinet and reverb are off the shelf functions from juce, the audio framework I use.
    They are basically meant to be switched of when you use a host, like jassy said.

Roxsyn is technically a 100% different thing, and it is not really usefull to compare.

• This sounds fantastic. Is there a release date or did I miss it among the comments ?

• edited March 2021

@JackRubinacci said:

This sounds fantastic. Is there a release date or did I miss it among the comments ?

thanks! there is no fixed release date yet, just a beta.

• @Paul_Driessen said:

@JackRubinacci said:

This sounds fantastic. Is there a release date or did I miss it among the comments ?

Tracking is fantastic! Would be an option to have MIDI out??

• @Synthi said:

@Paul_Driessen said:

@JackRubinacci said:

Tracking is fantastic! Would be an option to have MIDI out??

Midi requires a very clean note determination, which is not implemented in Space Guitar. The buildin waveforms however can live with such input, an external midi synth would not be so happy with it.

• (Merge in from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44234/space-guitar-beta-auv3-included )

I love this sort of thing so look forward to checking it out.

A quick thought is that anytime I see a music/sound app named "PD ____" it makes me think that it is part of the Pure Data ecosystem. You may do better commercially naming it "Guitar Synth" because Roxsyn is the only app I can think of that does anything like this and lord knows that no one is going to find that app unless they are specifically looking for it.

• edited March 2021

@boberto said:
    (Merge in from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44234/space-guitar-beta-auv3-included )

I love this sort of thing so look forward to checking it out.

A quick thought is that anytime I see a music/sound app named "PD ____" it makes me think that it is part of the Pure Data ecosystem. You may do better commercially naming it "Guitar Synth" because Roxsyn is the only app I can think of that does anything like this and lord knows that no one is going to find that app unless they are specifically looking for it.

I know puredata, but since those are just my initals, it is no big deal I think. PureData is mostly not known by gutiarplayers.
    Marketing.. ah well.. I think the only way to go is organic reach and a bit of proper naming: the displayed name in the shop can divert from the short app name, so the synthesizer bit will be there.
    I'm no competitor for roxsyn or midi guitar 2. I kind of expect my customers to kind of allready own those apps.. It is a niche market, and how much the app succeeds depends on how happy users are with it and how much they spread the word.. That is the organic reach.

• @Paul_Driessen - You mean to tell me there isn't HUGE $$$ in being an iOS Music-App Developer? o:)

• Feedback...
    Off to a great start!
    I'm having a significant volume loss when I engage the app.

UI Weirdness - What's the # in the top left that is a text field I can edit? The # in the bottom right is another editable text field below the (what I figured out was a) pitch slider. Pitch slider should probably have a background behind it because I didn't even see it at first in stand alone mode. It looks like it would be a MIX or a Output-Volume slider, not a Mod-wheel. Also, wish the slider could be held in place.
    Unless you are really worried about the iPhone UX, I would encourage you to take up more screen real-estate and cut down the # of tabs. Also, if the "Amp" tab is selected, it is redundant UI to then have an "Amp" tab highlighted below that. Of course, given the depth of possibilities, I would encourage more presets. Also a drop-down to see the presets all at once, not just cycle through them one-by-one. Last 2c is that I always like my FX to be beat-sync'd to the host's BPM and these ain't?

Lookin' forward to the updates!

• thnaks for your feedback!
    -there is a limiter in the amp seciotn , with quiet some boost in most presets. Having it boosted at 0 dB is not a good idea.
    So that is where the volume loss comes from, just me being cautious wiht volume.
    -inside the AMP tab, the yellow amp hilite is a switch, in this case to swtich the amp off.
    -it is much more convenient to have a few tabs, since the idea is to also run this as an AUv3.
    Every tab is a functionality, and the tabs to the very right are rarely used in AUv3.
    Also remember that maybe knobs will be added, and this setup creates place to do so.

There are rough edges, and the preset save/load mechanism is very simple and crude at the moment.
    So yes: there will be a list to load presets from and stuff like that.

• edited June 2021

PD Space Guitar Synthesizer 1.0.3 BETA
    Mainly bugfix update, 1 new feature in Amp.
    Bugs fixed:

• Bluetooth MIDI now should work
    • the whammy bar to the right of the screen now should work properly.

New feature:

• the amp now can switch the order of comp->drive to drive->comp.

The new Drive->comp mode has more clean sustain, which is often very nice for synth sounds.
    I'll make a how to vid about how to program your own space sounds soon.
    Have fun!
    Regards, Paul

• Pretty slick effect, and tracks well. I just can't see myself using it over midi guitar 2 controlling any number of external synth apps tho. I'm not sure what else it would need because I'm not a developer.

I love pitch slider that's always on the right side of the screen. I really think you're on to something with that feature. I haven't tried it on my bass yet but I imagine that's where it would get most of its use.

• @ambrosiajam said:
    Pretty slick effect, and tracks well. I just can't see myself using it over midi guitar 2 controlling any number of external synth apps tho. I'm not sure what else it would need because I'm not a developer.

I love pitch slider that's always on the right side of the screen. I really think you're on to something with that feature. I haven't tried it on my bass yet but I imagine that's where it would get most of its use.

Tnx!
    Space Guitar is not midi, so you can not send midi to other synths apps with it, that is MIDI Guitar 2 's domain

• I have so much fun with this synth straight out of the box! It just works instead of strange roxsyn's trigger and filter behaviours. Wish dev all the luck with finishing this app.