Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Tension and Release" Minimalist Tec...SYNTHWAVE?!

While trying to come up with a more experimental piece of electronic music that I'm satisfied with, I decided to go back to Minimalism.

Got another interesting piece of Minimalism for you today created in Gadget set to the 5/4 time signature. The challenge was to only use the gadgets that came with the full software, no IAPs or Gadget-compatible apps. This is how the instruments break down.

The thumping kick and interspersed tom drums are Tokyo. The pluck sound is Berlin (which I selected with my eyes closed lol). The 16th note bass is Chicago. The "row-oa" bass is Dublin. The 80s drums are from London. And finally, that strange FM chime pad is Chiangmai.

To be honest, I set out to do another Minimal Techno piece while at the same time figuring out more experimental forms of electronic dance music, but somehow I ended up with a completely different vibe. I'm not sure what genre this fits in. Maybe Minimal Synthwave/Vaporwave? Lol.

Of course, this track was mastered in Cubasis 3 with the usual suspects of MagicDeathEyeStereo, BarkFilter Tripleband, and TB Barricade.

Comments

• its cool! stranger things-esque with that bassline. I would love to hear it more crunchy,, and with some found sound bizzare textural stuff going on to tie it all together / add some more depth.

• also its pretty cool you are doing all of this with Gadget, i need to try it out again for some fun.

• My opinion: I would fatten up the bass drum, or thin it. Now its a bit dull. More tempo. Use the filter make tension/release. Open the filter to a climax (build-up) and abrupt cutdown to release the tension, and build up again with adding an element.
    Now its a bit un-cohisive. Creating a song is telling a story or put you in trance :)

• @shinyisshiny said:
    its cool! stranger things-esque with that bassline. I would love to hear it more crunchy,, and with some found sound bizzare textural stuff going on to tie it all together / add some more depth.

Thank you so much mate. Found sound textural stuff sounds like a good idea.

@shinyisshiny said:
    also its pretty cool you are doing all of this with Gadget, i need to try it out again for some fun.

Definitely crack it open mate and give it a go.

@Identor said:
    My opinion: I would fatten up the bass drum, or thin it. Now its a bit dull. More tempo. Use the filter make tension/release. Open the filter to a climax (build-up) and abrupt cutdown to release the tension, and build up again with adding an element.
    Now its a bit un-cohisive. Creating a song is telling a story or put you in trance :)

And you're absolutely right about that. After listening back to this track this morning, I think what it was is I was frustrated with not creating IDM that I wanted to create, felt like "I haven't output anything in a few days," and rushed this one out. :lol: There really isn't any tension and release per se, or not enough of it. I did this one in about an hour or two and thought "it was fine". I mean, it is adequate for what it is, but yeah, just a bit stagnate.

The one I'm working on now is hopefully a little bit better.

• @jwmmakerofmusic To make a minimalistic track interesting, you might try using sequencers. This morning i dabbled a bit with Drambo, using the wavetable oscillator and experimented with it, with several LFO's and Envelopes to make a bit movement in the sound. The Wavetable is a "Vowel" sound. Then i attached it to Fugue Machine to make a interesting pattern to create again movement in the sound. Then you can change the sound again in Drambo with the LFO's and envelopes.

This is an example what i made, just to give you an idea :)

• @Identor said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic To make a minimalistic track interesting, you might try using sequencers. This morning i dabbled a bit with Drambo, using the wavetable oscillator and experimented with it, with several LFO's and Envelopes to make a bit movement in the sound. The Wavetable is a "Vowel" sound. Then i attached it to Fugue Machine to make a interesting pattern to create again movement in the sound. Then you can change the sound again in Drambo with the LFO's and envelopes.

This is an example what i made, just to give you an idea :)

I absolutely love it! Very interesting example and enjoyable. ^_^