Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The big KORG Gadget fun/freak/experiment thread

R_2R_2
edited June 2021 in General App Discussion

This thread is meant for all interesting, funny, crazy, experimental things done with Gadget. Maybe preset sharing is a nice idea too?

Kind request to keep the AUv3 demands, sequencer complaints, etc to the other threads👮🏻‍♂️

Idea of this started after a post in another thread about using Zurich/Rosario/Durban to achieve interesting fx.
Rosario and Durban aren’t only usable for guitar, their more adventurous fx are a spicy addition to Gadget’s fx collection. Plus all the knobs are recordable.

Did some more experiments with a kalimba sound from Darwin/iM1. Not recorded directly from the speaker back into the mic, which is a great way to add character to the sound (more on that later). This time I exported from Gadget to Files and opened in Durban (track 2 & 3). Durban has some other fx than Rosario, for instance the “Feedback Delay” (oscillating BBD) in the demo below.
It’s fun playing with the different fx combinations and their order, phaser before/after distortion, etc. Twice the same fx can be interesting too, as done with ringmod in this example:

I’m planning to do more with this technique to see how it sounds with different gadgets, etc.

Comments

• edited June 2021

Loved these experiments 💖
    When recife kicks in the second demo... oh yeaaah 😎🤘
    Gotta admit I barely touched these gadgets
    Gonna try some stuff with them

Meanwhile, i'm gonna share an ol' experiment regarding someone dissing the chiptune-style gadgets as a one trick pony (Kamata and Kingston - added Tokyo as a bonus)

• Here's how I'm using my own sampled instruments in Gadget's Stockholm, after a total fail with Vancouver...

• @senhorlampada Good example, thanks. Reminds me of this soundscape I made with 1 Kamata and a phaser + delay from the IFX:

@rs2000 Nice! Quite a difference sonically :) Did you compare yours to Module’s American D?

• edited June 2021

@R_2 said:
    @senhorlampada Good example, thanks. Reminds me of this soundscape I made with 1 Kamata and a phaser + delay from the IFX:

@rs2000 Nice! Quite a difference sonically :) Did you compare yours to Module’s American D?

No, I rather chose Ravenscroft because it was already an AUv3 when it came out and now we have Pure Piano.
    The main reason though was using my own sample sets for Vibraphone, Wurlitzer EP, Rhodes suitcase, some slap bass samples and multi-velocity acoustic drums. It's a bit fiddly to prepare the samples and slice them manually in ReCycle but it works. And the synth engine in Stockholm is quite good to have.

• @R_2, @senhorlampada Nice!
    Funny enough, this kind of sound is what I get out of Milpitas (iWavestation) which contains a huge selection of wavetables. In fact it's still one of my favorite synths.

• edited June 2021

This is mostly made from many instances of Helsinki with tons of automation. As much automation as I could do! Some of the percussions are even from Helsinki thanks to the noise generator.

The basses have tons of Dublin I think, the Moog looking one... Some Vancouver which is resampled from other gadgets with saturation and distortion added, and a bunch of abu dhabi loaded with breakbeats and conga percs.

Abu Dhabi+ up/down arp with random button presses = instant breakbeat torture

Otherwise there's a mix of the default gadgets. Little bit of Phoenix and Tokyo etc. Mostly because they are so cpu light, you can really stack tons of them.

The key is automation. Automate everything! That's the strength of gadget. You are a human modular lfo!

• edited June 2021

Apologies for the accidental double post

• @R_2 said:
    recorded directly from the speaker back into the mic, which is a great way to add character to the sound (more on that later).

This is a brilliant idea! I never even considered this! Could be an awesome way to add grit to a synth sound... Or create industrial noise and drones.... Super interesting

• Wow loving the stuff y'all are doing with Gadget, especially @senhorlampada track.

One little trick I like to use to mimic older gear is using the decimator to match older sample boxes audio quality like the sp303 and adding a little distortion. Gives the sound a little more character, especially drums.

• edited June 2021

@KirbyMumbo said:
    Wow loving the stuff y'all are doing with Gadget, especially @senhorlampada track.

One little trick I like to use to mimic older gear is using the decimator to match older sample boxes audio quality like the sp303 and adding a little distortion. Gives the sound a little more character, especially drums.

Brilliant idea! I'm definitely gonna use this trick on drums. I've been doing something similar with subtle (and not subtle) saturation to bring that analog heat effect to thicken up Phoenix especially

• R_2R_2
    edited June 2021

@GeorgeL909 said:
    The key is automation. Automate everything! That's the strength of gadget. You are a human modular lfo!

True, i often forget to apply some, but definitely its strength. Good use of Helsinki there.

@GeorgeL909 said:

@R_2 said:
    recorded directly from the speaker back into the mic, which is a great way to add character to the sound (more on that later).

This is a brilliant idea! I never even considered this! Could be an awesome way to add grit to a synth sound... Or create industrial noise and drones.... Super interesting

It’s interesting how acoustics/surroundings become a part of the recording.
    Picking up some whistling birds or screaming kids in the background :D
    My first demo above was recorded through iPad speaker/mic. Today I accidentally hit record on the Durban track on my iPhone (feedbacking) which sounded very different because of the speaker and its close position to the mic:

• Awesome tricks, tips and tracks everyone!
    And thanks for the compliments on my lil' experiment

Ok... after @rs2000's example with stockholm, I see it's useful. I thought I would be dependent on preset rex files.
    Gonna save me some credits for some iAP if their usual mid-year sales hits soon

• @senhorlampada said:
    Awesome tricks, tips and tracks everyone!
    And thanks for the compliments on my lil' experiment

Ok... after @rs2000's example with stockholm, I see it's useful. I thought I would be dependent on preset rex files.
    Gonna save me some credits for some iAP if their usual mid-year sales hits soon

Yes, you can load your own REX files (and tbh I would never have purchased it without this capability) but still, you do need to use the REX/RX2 format. For me, it was worth spending the time to create my own instruments.

• This thread is awesome, and I love what I'm hearing in it so far. This is my most experimental track in Gadget to date.

Something silly and off-the-wall. However, now I'm inspired to try new things in Gadget! :) (Currently working on a little Trance thing, but after that I'll see more of what I can do regarding Experimental, Soundscaping, etc.) Cheers. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic Love that track. Perfect for the end boss in Parodius :)

Btw, the ‘experiment’ in the thread title doesn’t imply the music posted has to be ‘experimental’. Was just thinking about experimenting with different techniques, etc.

Basically a thread about anything interesting Gadget related. Like these two examples (not by me):

• Now I see what you mean mate. :) Well, one of my favourite reviews of Gadget to this date is SonicState's original Gadget review from 2014.

It's hard to believe Gadget's been around that long.

• Gadjazz Trio courtesy of @jwmmakerofmusic challenge.

• POGPALE has the best track- dunno if you ripped off a midi file or not, but it's tight thru and thru

• Example of 10 custom sounds made in iWavestation.
    Ranging from recreated Prophet VS preset, PPG like sound to weird effects and distorted polyrhythms 🎧

• @R_2 said:
    Example of 10 custom sounds made in iWavestation.
    Ranging from recreated Prophet VS preset, PPG like sound to weird effects and distorted polyrhythms 🎧

Just absolutely brill mate. :)

• Wow! Pure iWavestation wizardry
    Congrats

• Another little iWavestation/Milpitas excerpt:

• R_2R_2
    edited June 2021

Demo of some tweaking with Memphis/iMS20 audio input.
    First Kamata through Memphis, since Kamata doesn’t have a filter.
    At 2:00 some Recife drums.

I’ve attached the project. Download and move it to your KORG Gadget folder and unzip it.
    It includes an “Audio Input” preset for Memphis, which you can save for easy recall.

• Wow man- this is super incredible and i doubt many people are aware.

Very cool to supply the project file too.

semperfi npcguy

• 🏄‍♂️ Surf Rock with Ebina, made on a Switch. Check his other vids for more good Gadget tracks.

• I used to post on SoundCloud every now and then as basically a sketchpad to post some of my random noodley loops I made in gadget for when I goto check them out at the practice spot for putting into songs when I was in a band.
    Almost all of the tracks on my SoundCloud were made 100% in gadget, with a few recorded in aum or garageband for effects and occasionally drums in garage band. They are all very unconventional and weird lol

Here is the 'newest' one from about a year ago, I was to tonescaping for a couple hours on some loops and I figured I might as well capture a little bit of it. I almost forgot about this lol. I should clean up my SoundCloud and start posting real stuff haha..but i still think it sounds cool (minus my terrible guitar playing 😆)

• @ambrosiajam you got some nice organic sounds on your tracks... Gonna take a listen when I'm more awake in the morning :love: