Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problem with H4 Audio interface on iOS 14.6, only mono (anyone with a Zoom H4?)

Hi,
My Zoom H4 is only showing a mono input since the recent update to iOS 14.6 on my iPad Pro 2020. Can anyone confirm this?.
The iPad seems to think it’s a headset.

It briefly displays the H4 as a stereo microphone before changing to mono H4 hdset. This happens if I switch out and back into AUM, for example.

On my older iPad, which is on 14.5.1 it works as expected and shows (H4-L + H4-R) stereo usb inputs.
What the hell is going on?. Can an audio interface just stop working out of nowhere?. This is obviously aggravated by the fact that you can’t roll back the iOS version. This happened with the H4, can it happen with any audio interface?.
I wanted to use in a recent song and it’s useless as a sound card now.

Comments

• @tahiche : did you double-check the configuration settings on the H4 itself? Before tapping connect on the H4? I experienced some weirdness once that was the result of my accidentally having changed settings on the device.

Is anything else plugged into the iPad?

• edited June 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : did you double-check the configuration settings on the H4 itself? Before tapping connect on the H4? I experienced some weirdness once that was the result of my accidentally having changed settings on the device.

There’s hardly any settings when using as interface. Relevant are input selection (the usual, but tried them all anyway) and sample rate.
    It works fine on the other iPad (14.5.1) and was working fine on this model until recently.
    Oh, and nothing else plugged in. Also tried powering it with its own adapter in case it had something to do with low power.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : did you double-check the configuration settings on the H4 itself? Before tapping connect on the H4? I experienced some weirdness once that was the result of my accidentally having changed settings on the device.

There’s hardly any settings when using as interface. Relevant are input selection (the usual, but tried them all anyway) and sample rate.
    It works fine on the other iPad (14.5.1) and was working fine on this model until recently.
    Oh, and nothing else plugged in. Also tried powering it with its own adapter in case it had something to do with low power.

That is so weird. Have you tried a hard reset on the iPad?

• @tahiche Do you know if it's USB Class Compliant? The Zoom site only mentions PC or Mac interface, not iPad. Not being class compliant might explain the apparent weirdness.

• @uncledave said:
    @tahiche Do you know if it's USB Class Compliant? The Zoom site only mentions PC or Mac interface, not iPad. Not being class compliant might explain the apparent weirdness.

It is class compliant. Keep in mind that the H4 pre-dates mobile devices...hence the lack of mention of anything besides PC and Mac. I've used my H4 with iOS since I got my first iDevice (an iPad 2 shortly after they were released).

• @espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:
    @tahiche Do you know if it's USB Class Compliant? The Zoom site only mentions PC or Mac interface, not iPad. Not being class compliant might explain the apparent weirdness.

It is class compliant. Keep in mind that the H4 pre-dates mobile devices...hence the lack of mention of anything besides PC and Mac. I've used my H4 with iOS since I got my first iDevice (an iPad 2 shortly after they were released).

Good. I think @tahiche's second pic shows the iPad mic, not the H4 inputs. Then it weirdly detects the H4 as headset with mic. Strange.

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

Good. I think @tahiche's second pic shows the iPad mic, not the H4 inputs. Then it weirdly detects the H4 as headset with mic. Strange.

Yes, very strange. Specially since there’s no such thing as a stereo IPad microphone input that I know of, it displays that for a brief moment and then switches to the weird mono H4 hdset thing.
    The H4 is class compliant, worked fine until recently and works fine on the other iPad. My other interfaces work fine. I recently switched to apples own usb c hub, but I doubt that’s an issue, although you never know…

• @tahiche said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

Yes, very strange. Specially since there’s no such thing as a stereo IPad microphone input that I know of, it displays that for a brief moment and then switches to the weird mono H4 hdset thing.
    The H4 is class compliant, worked fine until recently and works fine on the other iPad. My other interfaces work fine. I recently switched to apples own usb c hub, but I doubt that’s an issue, although you never know…

I've read that the iPad Pro 12.9 2020 has 5 microphones, and can record from them in stereo. I believe that is what you're seeing before it (mis-) recognizes the H4.

• @tahiche : have you experimented with when you tap connect on the H4? I wonder if something about the setup odor OS update has altered when best to do that.

• @uncledave said:

@tahiche said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

I've read that the iPad Pro 12.9 2020 has 5 microphones, and can record from them in stereo. I believe that is what you're seeing before it (mis-) recognizes the H4.

Here’s how AUM shows the iPad mic. Only mono.

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : have you experimented with when you tap connect on the H4? I wonder if something about the setup odor OS update has altered when best to do that.

Yeah. I’ve disconnected and connected at various points. The strange “switching” of inputs when leaving/entering AUM might be relevant.
    What iOS are you running @espiegel123 ?. Is your h4 working?. As I said it works fine on my older iPad Pro and it worked fine on this one until recently so in theory that leaves 2 options 1) iOS upgrade to 14.6 or 2) apples usbc hub. I’m betting on the iOS upgrade but it could be a combination of things… I’ve read in the past about audio interfaces no longer working after updates.

• @tahiche said:

@uncledave said:

@tahiche said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

Here’s how AUM shows the iPad mic. Only mono.

@espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : have you experimented with when you tap connect on the H4? I wonder if something about the setup odor OS update has altered when best to do that.

Yeah. I’ve disconnected and connected at various points. The strange “switching” of inputs when leaving/entering AUM might be relevant.
    What iOS are you running @espiegel123 ?. Is your h4 working?. As I said it works fine on my older iPad Pro and it worked fine on this one until recently so in theory that leaves 2 options 1) iOS upgrade to 14.6 or 2) apples usbc hub. I’m betting on the iOS upgrade but it could be a combination of things… I’ve read in the past about audio interfaces no longer working after updates.

I am on iOS 13.7 and iPad 6.

Do you have any way of connecting it without the hub?

How do you connect it with your other device?

• @espiegel123 said:.

I am on iOS 13.7 and iPad 6.

Do you have any way of connecting it without the hub?

How do you connect it with your other device?

No way to connect it without the hub. On the other device I also use a hub. I just changed a Satechi hub for apples original, but it’s very unlikely that it’s the issue. A hub is just a hub.