Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to make a punchy kick with Drumcomputer by Sugar Bytes

O.K so I hope that I'm not promising to much here, but with the recent influx of drum machines I saw the following critisism with Drumcomputer:

• Kicks have no punch
  • To complicated to use

Since I'm very much a beginner, I was researching quite a lot about "what makes a good kick", and so far I didn't have the impression that I was limited by DC, more the opposite.

As for too complicated, true story, but I hope the workflow I have in the video will help someone, it works very well for me.

Full disclosure though: If you think the kick that you hear in the intro sucks, probably save yourself from the rest of the video :D.

If there is enough interest in the topic of Drumcomputer I can make more videos, though I feel there is a lot of coverage already. It was mostly the "the kicks suck" topic.

Thanks for watching anyway. If you are interested in subscribing: I'm trying to put out videos every 2-3 weeks. Every week is currently impossible for me, it's just too much work.

Comments

• Cheers, mate. Added to my watch later list right away. Looking forward to some learning! :)

• Nice vid.

Make that 207 subscribers. 😏

• edited June 2021

@Gravitas said:
    Nice vid.

Agreed!

Drum Computer is totally capable of producing a punchy kick, as you’ve demonstrated here. Another method to enhance that kick, would be to utilize Drum Computer’s Multi-out channels for side chaining and being able to process each drum sound individually. I like running just the kick channel (mono of course!) through something like Woot for example. Then you can do whatever you want with all the other drum sounds, like maybe have a ping pong delay on your hats, and nice gated reverb on your snare, etc etc.

In other words, Drum Computer is totally capable of producing virtually any drum sounds you could imagine, just don’t count on finding those imagined sounds in the presets that came with the app.

You’ll have to roll up your sleeves, and dial those sounds in yourself!

208!
    @FloRi89

• @Gravitas said:
    Nice vid.

Yay!

@Edward_Alexander said:

@Gravitas said:
    Nice vid.

X2!

208!

Double Yay!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

• Awesome! Well explained and very useful, thanks! Drumcomputer is my favorite drum app.
    I also try to get the different pitches to match or complement eachother within each of the resonator, wavetable and resynth before tuning the final kick on he mixer kit page into the rigth scale.
    Subscribed, keep it up!

• subscribed! even though i hate drumcomputer :D

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    subscribed! even though i hate drumcomputer :D

Haha, fair enough. I'm not planning on focussing on it anyway, currently I just read in the forums what topics are hot and what people are interested in.

I'll make one on Hammerhead, I had that as a teen, the nostalgia ist strong there. Together with Rebirth, the good old days lol.

• Nice vid! I think that the complaint about the lack of punch in the BD is due to the overcrowded interface design.
    However, it really really needs a sample audition button in the sample selection menu.

• @sharifkerbage said:
    Nice vid! I think that the complaint about the lack of punch in the BD is due to the overcrowded interface design.
    However, it really really needs a sample audition button in the sample selection menu.

And a lot of the preset kits are kind of weird, perfect if you want to make something that is really out there, but I’m never finding something that is rather “normal” let’s say it like that.

I mean I get it, they wanted to show of what it’s capable of but adding a few standard Hip-Hop, EDM and Pop Kits would have been a good idea.

• @FloRi89 said:

@sharifkerbage said:
    Nice vid! I think that the complaint about the lack of punch in the BD is due to the overcrowded interface design.

And a lot of the preset kits are kind of weird, perfect if you want to make something that is really out there, but I’m never finding something that is rather “normal” let’s say it like that.

I mean I get it, they wanted to show of what it’s capable of but adding a few standard Hip-Hop, EDM and Pop Kits would have been a good idea.

True! having more minimal presets to use as templates would be useful.
    Despite of this, I absolutely love DC.

• @FloRi89 said:

@sharifkerbage said:

Absolutely. Their kits are bonkers. And not in a good way

• I have a couple “kits” I saved that actually sound like drums. Drum Computer can be really good if you spend the time getting to know it.

I love it! The sequencer section, with all of its options, is one of the best I’ve seen.

I just bought Lumbeat’s Future Drummer today. (Slowly filling in my Luis Martinez collection) This is another amazing drum app! The sequencer grid seems to have a bit more flexibility than what he has in Rock Drummer and Lite Drummer.

• edited June 2021

Load Linndrum kick sample

Mute synth section

Done!

• @oat_phipps said:

Mute synth section

Done!

Definitely. I haven’t even listened to all the presets. But once you start using the sampler with or without the rest, any sound is possible.

• @oat_phipps said:

Mute synth section

Done!

See how easy it is, and they said the GUI is complicated :D.

• How do you load samples into DrumComputer?

• @Thames1990 said:
    How do you load samples into DrumComputer?

• As shown above, there are are bunch already that are pretty good, but you can also import your own with the import button on the bottom.

• Thanks guys!

• @FloRi89 said:

@sharifkerbage said:

I agree with this. And Florian, don't let anyone hold you back from using your fresh expertise to design some of these missing basic workhorse kits and sharing them with your followers here! 👌

• @Edward_Alexander said:

I just bought Lumbeat’s Future Drummer today. (Slowly filling in my Luis Martinez collection) This is another amazing drum app! The sequencer grid seems to have a bit more flexibility than what he has in Rock Drummer and Lite Drummer.

As the owner of a growing collection, do you know of manuals existing for any Lumbeat drum apps?

• @Thames1990 said:
    How do you load samples into DrumComputer?

@Thames1990 said:
    Thanks guys!

Make sure to adjust the envelope if you’re not getting the full hit. And up the level. As I recall there are some weird default settings on the sample section.

• @ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

@sharifkerbage said:

I agree with this. And Florian, don't let anyone hold you back from using your fresh expertise to design some of these missing basic workhorse kits and sharing them with your followers here! 👌

Ha, great prediction :D. I'm actually trying to do that, I reading now up on the other parts like kicks, claps etc. Let's see, I'll try to share at least one "basic" kit that is a little down to earth that everyone can use as a template. Let's see if I can make that, will be a great way to learn for myself.

• edited June 2021

@FloRi89 said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

@sharifkerbage said:

Ha, great prediction :D. I'm actually trying to do that, I reading now up on the other parts like kicks, claps etc. Let's see, I'll try to share at least one "basic" kit that is a little down to earth that everyone can use as a template. Let's see if I can make that, will be a great way to learn for myself.

I think the ruismaker manual explains how to make a simple kick, snare, clap, & hat.
    Edit- it might be ruismakerfm manual.

• It would be cool if Patchstorage added DrumComputer. Can anyone request a Patchstorage page or does the developer have to ok it, or what? Anyone know…?

• Sick punchy drums are solid. I know what you mean, but you can get that EMD sounding some work.
    I love the patch storage idea too. I am guessing its legal to share but ask the dev to be proper maybe,