Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Klevgrand Slammer - Demo, Tutorial + Code Giveaway

Klevgrand’s Slammer is one of my favourite apps on my iPad. Here’s a demo and tutorial and a chance to win a free code. See the pinned comment under my YouTube Video to enter the giveaway.

Comments

• this app is awesome. i really wish it would come to iphone too

• I love Slammer, so much control over the sounds. I think it sounds fantastic and fits in well with a surprisingly diverse range of music - just done an acid track with lots of clattering Slammer drums and it works well in place of the usual 909/606 kinda thing.

Good overview video and some class rhythms Jamie 👍

• @eross said:
    this app is awesome. i really wish it would come to iphone too

That would be nice! I’m starting to use my iPhone more in productions recently.

• @FPC said:
    I love Slammer, so much control over the sounds. I think it sounds fantastic and fits in well with a surprisingly diverse range of music - just done an acid track with lots of clattering Slammer drums and it works well in place of the usual 909/606 kinda thing.

Good overview video and some class rhythms Jamie 👍

That Sounds like a cool idea for a track. Would love to hear it. :)

• I like Slammer, but would like to see multi channel out.
    Also a better system for previewing sound like being able to tap the instrument icon in both overview mode, and when selecting sound. That would be more intuitive, than having to open an on-screen keyboard.

• @Diffrenzy said:
    I like Slammer, but would like to see multi channel out.
    Also a better system for previewing sound like being able to tap the instrument icon in both overview mode, and when selecting sound. That would be more intuitive, than having to open an on-screen keyboard.

Both good points. Multi out would be cool. And yes, an on screen sound trigger is a surprising omission.

• @Diffrenzy said:
    I like Slammer, but would like to see multi channel out.

Klevgrand have a reason for not implementing multi-out, but I don't think it's a very good one. If you'd like to see this feature, emailing them is the only way for them to see that it's important to us. Ting, Slammer and Skaka all require multi-out imo.

• Thanks so much for your video, Jamie!
    You're our hippie angel 🤣

Dude... you already got 190 videos on your channel, counting the ol' ones not iOS oriented. (if I counted right)
    Awasome... congrats!

Got curious on that Acid stuff too, @FPC

• Hey everyone, thank you very much for watching, I can’t tell you how much that means to me. I’ve worked hard at it. I’m a way off being monetised but I do love doing it.

I recall Gavinski saying that he’d asked Klevgrand about Multi-out and they’d said it couldn’t be done. I don’t recall why but if I’m honest, it was the first thing I looked for when I got it. I didn’t mention it in my video because it sounded to me like nothing could be done about it. It would be nice to preview sounds with a tap on screen, that’s true.

Did I really make that many videos? Wow! There are so many I want to make though. At the moment it’s tough to decide which to do next. I’m just editing one about Waverley Tables.

• @Jamie_Mallender

IIRC Klevgrand statet that the current internal routing first runs through their compressor and reverb, so they can‘t separate the output afterwards. But in my opinion many of us would be happy with multi-outputs without the internal FX - we could add compressors or reverbs of our own choice to single parts if needed.

Still there are different approaches in the various drum apps with multi output that i own:

Some switch off the path to the internal shared FX if a part is routed routed to an own output. Others still allow routing to the internal FX, which will come out of the main output - so you get the direct sound of the tracks routed to that main output, but the FX may contain sounds from other parts where the direct signal flows to a different output.

• I was really impressed with this drum app- drumjam is kinda the king right now, but I think more people are going to start using: Klevgrand Slammer

• @_ki said:
    @Jamie_Mallender

IIRC Klevgrand statet that the current internal routing first runs through their compressor and reverb, so they can‘t separate the output afterwards. But in my opinion many of us would be happy with multi-outputs without the internal FX - we could add compressors or reverbs of our own choice to single parts if needed.

Still there are different approaches in the various drum apps with multi output that i own:

Some switch off the path to the internal shared FX if a part is routed routed to an own output. Others still allow routing to the internal FX, which will come out of the main output - so you get the direct sound of the tracks routed to that main output, but the FX may contain sounds from other parts where the direct signal flows to a different output.

For me, when I’m looking at using multi output on some drums, I’m ready to mix - so I want to be able to have totally raw drums and add whatever fx I want in whatever order. And I want an output for every drum. I kind of want eg pulse and DigiStix smushed together

• edited June 2021

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@_ki said:
    @Jamie_Mallender

For me, when I’m looking at using multi output on some drums, I’m ready to mix - so I want to be able to have totally raw drums and add whatever fx I want in whatever order. And I want an output for every drum. I kind of want eg pulse and DigiStix smushed together

I was having fun with some multitracks last night while hanging with another bass player friend and am amazed at how good the drums sound on tunes like Let’s stay Together (1 mono track) Ain’t No Mountain high enough (2 drum kits each on their own mono track), and Tiny Dancer (whole kit on 2 mono tracks to make stereo).

I’m not disagreeing with you about having more control, it just made me think about it. And my friend’s son, who is 19, was amazed that people could plan out the production like that and know where to place mics so it sounded good. I’m always amazed by that and hope to be that good someday.

Oh, and as I commented on the video itself on YouTube, I really enjoyed the video, especially the lines with the tuned percussion.

• @mrufino1 said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@_ki said:
    @Jamie_Mallender

I was having fun with some multitracks last night while hanging with another bass player friend and am amazed at how good the drums sound on tunes like Let’s stay Together (1 mono track) Ain’t No Mountain high enough (2 drum kits each on their own mono track), and Tiny Dancer (whole kit on 2 mono tracks to make stereo).

I’m not disagreeing with you about having more control, it just made me think about it. And my friend’s son, who is 19, was amazed that people could plan out the production like that and know where to place mics so it sounded good. I’m always amazed by that and hope to be that good someday.

Oh, and as I commented on the video itself on YouTube, I really enjoyed the video, especially the lines with the tuned percussion.

You know what, you’re absolutely right. In line with that kind of thinking, I’m always telling people - you don’t have to own the most expensive gear to capture something amazing. Number 1most important thing is capturing a great performance. And don’t then make it all “perfect” by timing it all perfectly to the grid. Music usually sounds “better” when we let it breathe. And when you think about all those classic old recordings we love, the hear they actually had wasn’t as good as what a lot of us have at game now. A mate of mine won’t record vocals at the moment because he doesn’t believe his NT1A is pro enough. I keep telling him to research what Robert Plant recorded with back in the day. And so yes, I think you’re absolutely right and make an excellent point. There are a lot of apps that don’t necessarily do everything I want them to do exactly how I want it done, but with a little sideways thinking we can still get great results from them. With drums for me, my issue is - when it’s a stereo mix and I can’t manipulate different fx for different drums. I have a hard time with that. I hate reverb on kicks

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

@mrufino1 said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@_ki said:
    @Jamie_Mallender

You know what, you’re absolutely right. In line with that kind of thinking, I’m always telling people - you don’t have to own the most expensive gear to capture something amazing. Number 1most important thing is capturing a great performance. And don’t then make it all “perfect” by timing it all perfectly to the grid. Music usually sounds “better” when we let it breathe. And when you think about all those classic old recordings we love, the hear they actually had wasn’t as good as what a lot of us have at game now. A mate of mine won’t record vocals at the moment because he doesn’t believe his NT1A is pro enough. I keep telling him to research what Robert Plant recorded with back in the day. And so yes, I think you’re absolutely right and make an excellent point. There are a lot of apps that don’t necessarily do everything I want them to do exactly how I want it done, but with a little sideways thinking we can still get great results from them. With drums for me, my issue is - when it’s a stereo mix and I can’t manipulate different fx for different drums. I have a hard time with that. I hate reverb on kicks

Ouch, that is hard to hear about your friend. He’s right that the NT1A is not an amazing mic, but the best mic is the one that is in front of you hooked to a recorder when you’re inspired to sing. And if the vocalist is pro, then they generally sound good on just about anything.

Robert Plant recorded with some great mics, but Zeppelin also sounded amazing live with a PA that wouldnt even be considered for a small bar gig these days, into whatever variety of dynamic vocal mic was available at that time. And if I remember correctly, I saw RE-20’s as drum overheads on song remains the same. No one seems to complain about the drum sound…

• This one’s not for me. They’re just selling sample packs over the last year, with the exception of the awesome vocal synth.