Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Smallest interface with at least 6 inputs?

I am pretty knowledgeable about most audio interfaces, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on the smallest one available that has at least 6 inputs. I want to run my Digitone, Digitakt, and Medusa through my iPad all at once on separate channels. This would be a lot easier if iOS allowed for multiple audio inputs, but unfortunately, that is not the case.

Any ideas?

I've considered the Focusrite 8i6 and 18i8, but they're a bit larger than I'd like.

Comments

• TC helicon Blender maybe.

• Also would recommend Blender as long as you are dealing with line level signals… Runs also on batteries when required.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    TC helicon Blender maybe.

It only transmits 2x2 via USB. Bummer.

• edited June 2021

Have a look at this video of the blender

And this helpful picture

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/xk/bipijxvv6se2.png

• I know it's standalone rather than an audio interface but have you considered the 1010music Bluebox?

It has great utility as a multitrack recorder. Stimming does a good review of it.

• edited June 2021

@BiancaNeve Oh excellent! It seems odd that it's labeled as only have 2 USB inputs on Sweetwater.

@Jocphone It has been suggested, but I need to be able to route through the iPad with it.

• Maybe the MOTU UltraLite MK5:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ultralite5--motu-ultralite-mk5-18x22-usb-audio-interface

Looks like a small footprint with a lot of I/O

• Damn, blender looks awesome too bad it’s 2x2. I guess it’s not incredibly small but I’ve had my eye on getting a kmix when I can swing the budget for it

• edited June 2021

How about MOTU UltraLite Mk5? Lots of I/O and USB audio class compliant.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/specs/

• @echoopera @Deskscape I do have my eye on that mamajama. MOTU is def. quality.

• edited June 2021

RE: MOTU UltraLite Mk5...

The footprint on this one is really not much smaller than the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and you get a couple more combo XLR inputs and it's less expensive.

• edited June 2021

Blender is surprisingly small, it’s a 12in / 8out mixer (standalone), or 12in / 2out audio interface (main out duplicated on all its outputs).
    I wouldn’t call it a hq device, imo its i/o (a/d/a) isn’t great, but does the job. Ideal for stereo line level gadgets, battery powered fun etc., but I wouldn’t recommend it as only audio interface.

edit: worth mentioning, its USB port doesn’t power the device. It’s either battery or psu (included).

• I have a Komplete Audio 6 mkii.
    It needs a powered usb hub to work properly
    and inputs/outputs 5+6 are SPDIF.
    The footprint is quite small and you would need
    a case for it if you're going to be using it for gigs.

• Not tiny, but very powerful, the Keith Mcmillen K-Mix.

(Totally unrelated, I have one I want to sell ;) )

• edited June 2021

@mistercharlie said:
    Not tiny, but very powerful, the Keith Mcmillen K-Mix.

(Totally unrelated, I have one I want to sell ;) )

I saw and liked the KMix, but it's a bit too pricey for me. With that said, where are you located and what are you asking for it?

@jblock I think the Focusrite will be the eventual winner.

• @slicetwo Around €400. I’ll PM you my location.

• I started up a little spreadsheet comparing Ultralite Mk5 vs Scarlett 18i8.

Both have 8 analog inputs total. 2 of them are mic/XLR on the Mk5 vs. 4 on the 18i8. Mk5 has more line inputs.

Mk5 has 10 analog outputs vs. 4 on the 18i8. If you have a fair number of outboard processing gear and/or you want your audio interface to sort of double as a patch bay, your requirements might favor the Mk5.

Mk5 has onboard DSP with reverb, 4-band EQ, and dynamics FX. 18i8 has none.

Both support additional I/O channels via ADAT input.

Mk5 does not support an audio routing matrix like some other MOTU products. Instead, it has 4 mix busses, which allows some patchbay-like routing. Line 1-2 mix is your main out mix, and the 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 out mixes are your others.

18i8 has some sort of routing matrix or multiple mix bus scheme as well but I haven't delved too deeply into that yet.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I started up a little spreadsheet comparing Ultralite Mk5 vs Scarlett 18i8.

Both have 8 analog inputs total. 2 of them are mic/XLR on the Mk5 vs. 4 on the 18i8. Mk5 has more line inputs.

Mk5 has 10 analog outputs vs. 4 on the 18i8. If you have a fair number of outboard processing gear and/or you want your audio interface to sort of double as a patch bay, your requirements might favor the Mk5.

Mk5 has onboard DSP with reverb, 4-band EQ, and dynamics FX. 18i8 has none.

Both support additional I/O channels via ADAT input.

Mk5 does not support an audio routing matrix like some other MOTU products. Instead, it has 4 mix busses, which allows some patchbay-like routing. Line 1-2 mix is your main out mix, and the 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 out mixes are your others.

18i8 has some sort of routing matrix or multiple mix bus scheme as well but I haven't delved too deeply into that yet.

Nice. I think the MOTU is the ideal piece, though I am familiar with and like the Focusrite stuff and its routing abilities. Though this would be used with my iPad always, so the routing will be in AUM, anyways. I guess I kinda need to find $600 bones, huh?

• @slicetwo said:
    @Jocphone It has been suggested, but I need to be able to route through the iPad with it.

Ok, yes I understand. It was a leftfield suggestion but I am looking at it from a similar point of view in that I have three boxes that I would like to record simultaneously sometimes.

For me, the tiny size of the Bluebox thing and the fact that it records all the tracks straight to an SD card is quite an attractive proposition. I can then load in the separate tracks to the AUM file players for further processing if I want to take it that route.

• edited June 2021

I had some idea, You can expand the Arturia audiofuse to have more channels, but I don’t know if you’d need an Arturia rack, or if any type of smaller adio gear would do! I belive in their video on the original unit he shows it. I know it’s not complicated to set up in their software, you could send them a mail if you’re into the idea. Their 4 channel new soundcard(expensive) you can use the dedicated phono is as a separate channel no problem, but I forgot if its possible to finagle out another channel from it to a total of 6. Also worth a question possibly

• What about a Zoom H6 or H8?

• edited June 2021

@Jocphone said:

@slicetwo said:

Ok, yes I understand. It was a leftfield suggestion but I am looking at it from a similar point of view in that I have three boxes that I would like to record simultaneously sometimes.

For me, the tiny size of the Bluebox thing and the fact that it records all the tracks straight to an SD card is quite an attractive proposition. I can then load in the separate tracks to the AUM file players for further processing if I want to take it that route.

Ya. For me, this is all about live processing via the iPad. I have a focusrite 18i20 and Octopre Dynamic in my home studio for all my recording needs. I want a soundcard that I can use with my hardware live to route and mix through the iPad.

I found a good deal on a 2nd gen Focusrite 18i8 that has pretty much everything I need. It'd be nice if it had more audio out options, but the inputs are really what's important.

• edited June 2021

I was recently looking for exactly that and got me a second hand Tascam US-800. Works as expected but about the same size as the 8i6. ☺️

If I wanted to invest a bit more, it'd likely be one of the Zooms as @Sawiton suggested.

• @rs2000 said:
    I was recently looking for exactly that and got me a second hand Tascam US-800. Works as expected but about the same size as the 8i6. ☺️

If I wanted to invest a bit more, it'd likely be one of the Zooms as @Sawiton suggested.

The Zoom would be dope, but I can get the Focusrite for almost half the price right now :)

• @Sawiton said:
    What about a Zoom H6 or H8?

Not a bad idea

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I already have an 18i8 and thought about selling it in favor of the MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

Then I decided to apply the difference in price towards a Zoom H6 instead, as I don't have a handy recorder for recording band rehearsals, random things outdoors, and whatnot. I think it only delivers 2 channels of USB audio to an IOS device, when used as an audio interface. For me this is not a problem, because realistically, I'm more likely to use it as a standalone recorder and later export its tracks (up to 6) to Ableton.

• Steinberg UR44C is amazing! It has 6 inputs and it s quite compact for what it offers. It also has a DSP that feeds a mixer with channel strips and reverb. Sound quality is very good and latency is quite low. Pres have a good amount of gain. Integrates very easily with Cubasis since the re both from the same company. It s USB3. It feels solide and it costed me around 250€. You can easily connect all your gear in it. ( I'm not working for Steinberg btw)

• edited June 2021

@GovernorSilver said:
    I already have an 18i8 and thought about selling it in favor of the MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

Then I decided to apply the difference in price towards a Zoom H6 instead, as I don't have a handy recorder for recording band rehearsals, random things outdoors, and whatnot. I think it only delivers 2 channels of USB audio to an IOS device, when used as an audio interface. For me this is not a problem, because realistically, I'm more likely to use it as a standalone recorder and later export its tracks (up to 6) to Ableton.

it actually gives 6 channels of audio even on IOS.
    with the input addon it basically turns the zoom into a 6 input battery powered interface for Ios.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I already have an 18i8 and thought about selling it in favor of the MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

it actually gives 6 channels of audio even on IOS.
    with the input addon it basically turns the zoom into a 6 input battery powered interface for Ios.

Hrmm. I can never get mine to work. It only ever shows up in AUM with 2 Channels. What’s the secret to get the 6 Channels to show up on iOS?