Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget Users - Which gadgets DONT you have/want

For those still using gadget, which gadgets have you not aquired yet?

I've held out on Wavestation, Stockholm, and Gladstone.

The one gadget that absolutely blew my mind was Arp Oddessi.
My first mistake was not knowing the history of the AO, the next was thinking the word ARP had anything to do with the synths primary mechanics and not the name of the company.

Presets alone, there is around 200 quality presets - I believe making it the largest preset bank, but presets aside- the sounds you can make from this critter is amazing. Anyone else a fan of the AO in gadget?

Like the title says- what gadgets have you held out on and why?
I'm a Reason user and I have zero interest in Stockholm. I have thousands of REX files, and always bounce my tracks to REX but, I still have zero interest in Stockholm- CHANGE MY MIND.

• Wavestation
    I'm holding out on Wavestation because i find the presets to be horrendous on my ears, It reminds me of bad 90's television, and I havent been able to hear anything super impressive come from the software version that My other gadgets can't do. - CHANGE MY MIND.

• Gladestone
    Ugh, this is a weird issue for me, I have upteen thousands of live drum loops and samples and it seems like the gadget would just be a waste of CPU for how limited it is, considering I have all the other drum modules and tons of quality Akai live drum samples to use in Balboa and arranged loops already. - I do kinda feel like maybe i'm missing out with not using Stockholm or Gladstone for some certain tracks- but I can always stem it out to Reason and use the REX loops from within there. - CHANGE MY MIND.

Gadget has been an absolute blessing for me, I really hope Korg continues to support it and people continue to use it. I haven't found a sketchpad as easy as Gadget on IOS- yes, I'm using an iphone.
lol. IPHONE 12 MAX PRO.

• Be gentle guys, I'm just a sperm in a daycare.

Comments

• edited June 2021

What I’ve got, what I don’t have and aren’t interested in.

Lisbon was a waste of time, it’s impossible to read anything on it. Never used Abu Dhabi (it’s probably good, but not my thing). I don’t think anyone has ever used Amsterdam.

• I've got them all apart from a few Module IAPs...

Like many of the Gadgets, Gladstone is highly velocity-sensitive and to my ears it also sounds like it does a bit of round-robin so each consecutive hit doesn't always sound excatly the same?!:

I do wish Gadget had an on-screen way to 'play' the velocity.

Y-Axis on the keys/pads could be one way...
    The only Gadget for now that has that is Madrid with the keyboard expanded.

But Madrid is very limited!
    It's not even possible to select which source sample to use from the Init preset.
    (All the factory presets use different source samples for the presets).

Both iWavestation (MIltipas) and iM1 (Darwin) have their own sound and many of them are classics in many Genres.
    WIth a bit of processing (EQ, Exciter, Saturation, Compression etc.) they can be made to sound more 'modern' :)

Then again it depends what genre is in focus...

Cheers!

• @u0421793 said:

Lisbon was a waste of time, it’s impossible to read anything on it. Never used Abu Dhabi (it’s probably good, but not my thing). I don’t think anyone has ever used Amsterdam.

I cant use Memphis as I am on iphone- how are the sounds? I see Lexington proudly at the top- is that your go to gadget? Out of all the drum modules- For some reason the default London Kit is always what I end up drafting with. I think that BD has become the signature in all my tracks.

Thanks for sharing! Are you still using Gadget? How do you feel about it after the time you've spent with it, and how long have you been using it?

• @u0421793 said:

I completely agree about Lisbon- It was my first gadet purchase and I never use it. Even the presets are unusable (for me)

I disagree whole heartedly about Amsterdam - I use it and Tokyo as compliments in most of my tracks, I've spent hours making presets in all my gadgets, and once you start tweaking the sound effects in Amsterdam with automation and effects- you can get some really nice accompanment for your tracks. I do alot of layering and have started to notice sounds just completely dissapearing when im about 12 gadgets deep- For example- If I use a hit on every 1 measure- eventually after 12 gadgets, the sound just dissapears- its not a cpu usage thing either. For tics and tickles you should try using Amsterdam sporadically thru a track with a shitload of automation/effects layered- it can really add some atmosphere. I'll make a track using just one tokyo and multiple amsterdams and show you what i mean. :smile:

As for AbuDhabi? Im super dissapointed in it too- but I have it if I need it. It does some neat glitch stuff, but it wasnt anything incredible or a must have by any stretch. If your into loops and stockholm- i could see it being useful, but even when I load my loops in it- they sound wrong - I found myself actually making loops in Reason designed for us in AbuDhabi just to get some use out of it. lol

• @Samu said:

But Madrid is very limited!
    Both iWavestation (MIltipas) and iM1 (Darwin) have their own sound and many of them are classics in many Genres.

Yeah, I agree about Madrid. I have some bass presets in Mono/Poly that suffice my live bass needs.
    I see alot of hip hop producers using Gladstone, I just can't justify adding it.

I really want someone to change my mind about Wavestation Mitipas as I love wavetable synthesis, and have been impressed with all of the "FULL SYNTH" add ons.

It seems like wavestation is better for pop/dancy sounds - I know it's super expressive, but I just havent seen or heard any really impressive performances in it. Whatcha think?

• @ejacul337 said:

I cant use Memphis as I am on iphone- how are the sounds?

Memphis is great. iMS20 was one of the pre-Korg Gadget apps I bought and it sounds really good.

I have it on my iPhone, can you not buy it if you don't have an iPad too? One of the main reasons I ever bothered with Gadget was to get iMS20/Memphis on my iPhone...

(I haven't really used Gadget much at all yet though... Maybe one day).

• Montpellier/MonoPoly is quite handy and nice to program (I prefer the Gadget UI compared to the stand-alone).
    iMS20 and iPolySix Gadgets were a nice bonus when they were added since I already had the stand-alone apps.

If you want 'wavetable synthesis' in Gadget it's better to go with Electribe Wave (Warsawa Gadget).
    This since the iWavestation (Miltipas Gadget) doesn't allow 'full programming' which is a bummer.

If I'm not mistaken there's quite a bunch of videos on Youtube for each of the Gadgets.

• @ejacul337
    iWavestation plus the expansion cards offers a really wide choice of waveforms and natural samples, it often reminds me of the Roland D-50 but there's a lot more choice available. To me it's an almost endless sound construction resource, even without using wave sequencing at all. The UI still feels a bit unintuitive but I love the sounds.
    I've once used 3 iWavestation (Milpitas) instances to construct an orchestral strings set and it didn't sound too bad.

Stockholm is another go-to gadget for me. But I have to say that I own a lot of REX files and also I don't mind building instrument and multi-velocity drum/percussion sample banks using ReCycle.
    Being able to change drum and instrument loops without destroying the natural, human timing is a big plus for me, and using the built-in synthesis module and automation of the parameters opens up a lot of creative space.

Lexington has its own unique sound but I have to say that this is much more apparent when played solo than in a mix where the advantage isn't noticeable that much anymore.

• @ejacul337 said:

@u0421793 said:

I cant use Memphis as I am on iphone- how are the sounds? I see Lexington proudly at the top- is that your go to gadget? Out of all the drum modules- For some reason the default London Kit is always what I end up drafting with. I think that BD has become the signature in all my tracks.

Thanks for sharing! Are you still using Gadget? How do you feel about it after the time you've spent with it, and how long have you been using it?

At the moment I’m undoing Gadget. I’m going through some songs I did several years ago which were 100% gadget, and remaking them a lot simpler in Logic Pro X using hardware synths. What that has shown me is that Gadget encouraged me to make insanely over-complex compositions, too complicated in almost every way, because it is so easily possible.

Memphis is good on the iPhone but you need it on the iPad at the same time to install it in some complicated manner through Korg’s back end as it were.

Lexington is so good it almost got to the stage where everything was a Lexington track if I didn’t watch myself.

London is the one I used to go straight to for drums (typically Newham, as I live in Newham) but increasingly Tokyo took over as not the secondary but the main drums.

If I went back to Gadget to compose anything now (I’m not in that phase now) I’d be a lot more aware of the boundary between making something clever, and making something usable later in other contexts. It contains disguised traps, and I’d recognise them now.

• @ejacul337 said:
    I really want someone to change my mind about Wavestation Mitipas as I love wavetable synthesis, and have been impressed with all of the "FULL SYNTH" add ons.

Synths (iWavestation in particular) don’t have to sound like their presets.
    iWavestation with all of its waves and the 2 FX is capable of a lot of different sounds.
    You have to put in some work to make your own from scratch. Gadget’s Kiev (also vector) is faster but very limited. Instead of making your own you could also just change waves/wavesequences and try different fx to come up with new stuff (this can be done in Gadget/Milpitas).

10 reasons to change your mind B)

• @ejacul337 said:
    For those still using gadget, which gadgets have you not aquired yet?

I have all the Gadget IAPs and compatible apps with their IAPs, and I'll tell you the one thing that was a complete waste of money for me - DeeMax. It's the maximiser IAP. I'm sure there are some people out there who like its sound, but I personally can't stand it.

Milpitas/iWavestation - The presets do have that vaporwave sound to them, but I'm sure if I ever got off my arse and dove deep into Milpitas and mastered how to program the bloody thing from scratch, I could create sounds that definitely didn't fall into the "bad 90s television category". So, I'm going to hold off my recommendation until I learn Milpitas inside and out first to see if it's perfect for synthheads like me. (This actually has motivated me to go and learn it! :lol: )

Stockholm is pretty cool to have if you're into chopped beats. I'm not really a chopped beats type of person, but I do sometimes play around with both Stockholm and Abu Dhabi just for fun and experimentation. If you like Abu Dhabi, you'll probably like Stockholm, especially given you have 1000s of .rex files. Definitely recommended for the beat choppers out there.

Gladstone is about as straightforward of a Gadget as you can get. It's simply another drum module. If I wasn't such a completionist, I probably wouldn't have even bothered with Gladstone, but the bongos in my "Slick" track came from Gladstone and sound pretty damn nice, so I used it at least once. SO, would I recommend Gladstone? It depends. For most people, it's an easy pass, especially if you're into chopping up live drum loops. But, the live drum sounds that do come in Gladstone are pretty damn nice.

Sounds like you really want to purchase it. Then just go for it. :lol: Like I said, the presets themselves sound vaporwaveish, but programming it from an Init preset (i.e. the electric-piano sound) is the best route to take with it (especially if you're a synthhead).

@R_2 's got the right idea. Bloody brilliant. :)

@u0421793 said:

For the most part, Lisbon is a waste of time. :lol: I can do so, SO much more in Montpellier than I can do in Lisbon. But, in Lisbon's defense, when I'm creating a piece of Uplifting Trance music in Gadget, it's perfect to layer on top of Montpellier for the lead since Montpellier's sound is not as bright as Lisbon's, and Lisbon's sound is not as meaty/deep as Montpellier's. It IS a pain in the arse to read, lol.

As said above, Abu Dhabi (and Stockholm) are for those who like chopping beats. Definitely not my thing either.

Amsterdam is a "specialty" Gadget where its specialty lies in sound effects for EDM/Trance/House/etc. I've actually used it in those genres. But, it's not for, say, the type of Minimal Techno and other more serious genres of Dance I've been starting to get into these days. ;)

• @R_2 said:

10 reasons to change your mind B)

Ugh, Track 3 was the only one I could stomach- I think i'm def gonna pass on Milpitas.

I appreciate the demo! I think it really helped me make up my mind.

• I have them all besides a few IAPs for modules but I really regret Lisbon and my dumb ass bought it when it wasn’t on sale. Wish I didn’t buy DeeMax as well. Other than that, I’ve found uses for everything cos I do a lot of different genres. I’d be pretty stoked if they released the FM gadget for iOS

• I use Kamata more than you’d think, and for normal music, not the chiptune stuff people associate with it.

• When I’ve tried programming the iWavestation I limit myself to a very small subset of what it can do. I’m not too interested in the transitioning from one waveset to another, so I don’t use that. I’m not a sample-user so I don’t use those. I end up just using the primitive digital waves with only enough enveloping to comprehend, and nearly dry in the effects. Once I’ve got something useful, I realise I could’ve done exactly the same in iM1 – I’m using the same features, same waves, same everything, just ignoring the fancy things that makes the two different.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I have them all besides a few IAPs for modules but I really regret Lisbon and my dumb ass bought it when it wasn’t on sale. Wish I didn’t buy DeeMax as well. Other than that, I’ve found uses for everything cos I do a lot of different genres. I’d be pretty stoked if they released the FM gadget for iOS

I would love an FM gadget. That would rock socks. Meantime, there is Chiangmai which is capable of barebones FM synthesis. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I have them all besides a few IAPs for modules but I really regret Lisbon and my dumb ass bought it when it wasn’t on sale. Wish I didn’t buy DeeMax as well. Other than that, I’ve found uses for everything cos I do a lot of different genres. I’d be pretty stoked if they released the FM gadget for iOS

I would love an FM gadget. That would rock socks. Meantime, there is Chiangmai which is capable of barebones FM synthesis. :)

Agreed. A little opsix type of thing would be appreciated.

• @u0421793 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Agreed. A little opsix type of thing would be appreciated.

Exactly! Or something more complex like Sytrus in FL Studio.

• @u0421793 said:
    I use Kamata more than you’d think, and for normal music, not the chiptune stuff people associate with it.

^this (much to my own surprise)

• For me the spell was finally broken at Lisbon, the first gadget I didn't immediately buy and am still not interested in. Since then Stockholm, Ebina, and Otorii have held even less appeal.

• Wow, this post came timely. I was actually going through Gadget (the full version), and was thinking the same thing.

iPolySix I didn't bother with because it was a better deal to get iMonopoly (since it gives you a standalone app with a Gadget unlock)

I really like iWavestation, Odyssei, Bilbao, Stockholm, Module (because it gives you 6 different Gadgets and it's AUv3).

I got Madrid because of the acoustic bass sounds. Still not sure if it's a good deal but hey, I get great bass tones.

Didn't get Kamata or Vancouver. Wondering if I should.

• One fun thing about Kamata is you can draw your own waveforms ... realtime.

• @wim said:
    One fun thing about Kamata is you can draw your own waveforms ... realtime.

You can even automate each of the 32 wave amps and morph the waveform into anything you want in realtime.

• I love kamata
    It's amazing stuff and you can really avoid chiptuney stuff. (I dig it for ambient, for example)
    One on my wishlist but I don't know if the purchase could be justified is Vancouver. Blaming my cheapness :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:
    I love kamata
    It's amazing stuff and you can really avoid chiptuney stuff. (I dig it for ambient, for example)
    One on my wishlist but I don't know if the purchase could be justified is Vancouver. Blaming my cheapness :lol:

Vancouver is great for importing melodic samples into Gadget, but I'd wait for a sale first since it isn't necessarily a "must have". :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Vancouver is great for importing melodic samples into Gadget, but I'd wait for a sale first since it isn't necessarily a "must have". :)

I'm counting on the mid-year sales. Hope they drop soon :lol:
    Also, I didn't notice iPolysix (Pompei) is available too. Not sure when that happened
    Oh. Another one on my wishlist is MonoPoly (Montpellier), but since I already have the Polysix, it seems enough

• @senhorlampada said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I'm counting on the mid-year sales. Hope they drop soon :lol:
    Also, I didn't notice iPolysix (Pompei) is available too. Not sure when that happened
    Oh. Another one on my wishlist is MonoPoly (Montpellier), but since I already have the Polysix, it seems enough

Gadget 2 is what brought iPolysix into the Gadget biosphere. ;) But, I think you'll want to get your mitts on iMonopoly. It's similar to iPolysix, but it can do things iPolysix can't do, and vice versa. In many ways, iPolysix should be able to tide you over until a mid-year sale.

I myself am waiting for that sale to complete my Module IAPs. ;) I may never use them, but at least I'll have them in the ol' sonic toolbox.

• Thanks, mate! I'll end up saving 15 bucks for Mono/Poly :wink:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Thanks, mate! I'll end up saving 15 bucks for Mono/Poly :wink:

Right on mate! ☺️

• @senhorlampada said:
    Thanks, mate! I'll end up saving 15 bucks for Mono/Poly :wink:

Mono Poly is incredible, as is ARP- I am just blown away with ARP, It's funny how the less inspiriing hardware can become so important to your workflow.