Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ordered MacBook Air M1. Very excited 😆

Very excited. It should arrive tomorrow. I’ve got an aged MacBook Pro that no longer runs apps very well. My main daw is Logic Pro. Looking forward to being able not being forced to use track freeze on every track.

Anyone got any tips or tricks or anything I should know.

Comments

• No tips, just congrats. No more freezing... what will you do with all that saved time! 😉🥳

• Very cool. The Macbook Air used to be one of the most underpowered of the Macbook offerings from Apple and the new M1 version is just a monster. Please post your review after you’ve used it for a while.

• Waiting for M2 MacBooks to come out, so close, maybe a few more months. My 2014 MPro is ready for a refresh.

• edited June 2021

@cyberheater said:
    anything I should know.

The rumors and hype are true. The "mirror only" for external displays is a myth if you use an appropriate USB-C hub/dock.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:
    anything I should know.

The rumors and hype are true. The "mirror only" for external displays is a myth if you use an appropriate USB-C hub/dock.

That’s good to know. Time to invest in some dongles.

• @cyberheater said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:
    anything I should know.

Not the apple dongles. They don't work. Displaylink capable docks/hubs. Currently have the microsoft surface travel dock connected and its doing dual display.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:
    anything I should know.

Not the apple dongles. They don't work. Displaylink capable docks/hubs. Currently have the microsoft surface travel dock connected and its doing dual display.

Thanks.

• @cyberheater You’re gonna love it. Sleek and badass powerful. Runs Logic effortlessly and renders video in a fraction of the time it took on my Intel MB Pro. I only wish they’d put a USB-C port on each side.

• I've had it a week now. A quick review.

Pros
    1. Battery life is amazing. I can surf, DAW, edit photos all day on one charge. It's amazing.
    2. Performance is amazing. Even running stuff like Reason through Rosetta2. The DSP meter barely moves.
    3. No fans. It's completely silent.
    4. The screen is fantastic. It also plays HDR YouTube vids. I didn't know it was meant to be able to do that.
    5. The keys are great.
    6. Wifi is really great on it. Far better than my iPad Pro 12.9 inch second gen.

Negs
    2. Only two USB-C ports and no HDMI. I bought a dongle for that.

I'm super impressed.

• @cyberheater
    How many GB of RAM did you get ? Is Reason your man DAW ? your impressions on performance using synth and plugins ?
    Thanks !

• @joniqwest said:
    @cyberheater
    How many GB of RAM did you get ? Is Reason your man DAW ? your impressions on performance using synth and plugins ?
    Thanks !

8GB. I don't know what magic Apple did here but it seems to be more than enough.

Reason used to be my main DAW but I'm converting to Logic Pro X. Performance for both DAWs is amazing. There is some sort of sorcery going on.

• Wow. Sounds impressive. At this point, my pimped-up 2012 Mac mini clearly owes its life to Native Instruments, as long as they keep delaying M1 and Big Sur compatibility :)

• @ervin said:
    Wow. Sounds impressive. At this point, my pimped-up 2012 Mac mini clearly owes its life to Native Instruments, as long as they keep delaying M1 and Big Sur compatibility :)

It'll probably run faster under Rosetta than on the Intel. Big Sur compatibility is a different question though. Is NI still not Big Sur ready?

• Good to hear ! Are you also using VST/AU plugins in Reason or Reason format effects?

@cyberheater said:

@joniqwest said:
    @cyberheater
    Thanks !

8GB. I don't know what magic Apple did here but it seems to be more than enough.

Reason used to be my main DAW but I'm converting to Logic Pro X. Performance for both DAWs is amazing. There is some sort of sorcery going on.

• @joniqwest said:
    Good to hear ! Are you also using VST/AU plugins in Reason or Reason format effects?

@cyberheater said:

@joniqwest said:
    @cyberheater
    Thanks !

Mostly VST/AU plugins for Reason and Logic Pro.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@ervin said:
    Wow. Sounds impressive. At this point, my pimped-up 2012 Mac mini clearly owes its life to Native Instruments, as long as they keep delaying M1 and Big Sur compatibility :)

It'll probably run faster under Rosetta than on the Intel. Big Sur compatibility is a different question though. Is NI still not Big Sur ready?

They have partial answers and all kinds of dynamically evolving lists on their two respective update status pages, which in my practical interpretation means no, not yet.

• Just to chime in here with the same message - MBA M1 8Gb - is an absolute steal for Logic/Reason/Ableton etc; - also runs Drambo! The dongle thing is a bit annoying but overall its worth it for the silence/heat/raw power available.

• edited June 2021

Awesome. This makes the M1 MBA sound even better than I first heard.

• @ervin said:

I’ve switched from a 2013 MacBook Pro to a M1 MBP, and I’m using Ableton Live with Native Instruments software. The performance and stability is excellent, even with Rosetta 2. The only thing I’m missing is Massive X, but hopefully they’ll get there, eventually.

• @whiteout said:

@ervin said:

I’ve switched from a 2013 MacBook Pro to a M1 MBP, and I’m using Ableton Live with Native Instruments software. The performance and stability is excellent, even with Rosetta 2. The only thing I’m missing is Massive X, but hopefully they’ll get there, eventually.

Interesting. How much ram did you get?

• Thanks !

@cyberheater said:

@joniqwest said:
    Good to hear ! Are you also using VST/AU plugins in Reason or Reason format effects?

@cyberheater said:

@joniqwest said:
    @cyberheater
    Thanks !

Mostly VST/AU plugins for Reason and Logic Pro.

• @auxmux said:

@whiteout said:

@ervin said:

Interesting. How much ram did you get?

I want to use it for a while, so I went with 16 Gb. Best computer I’ve ever had, even though I didn’t stop using my beloved iPad :smile:

• @whiteout said:

@ervin said:

Thank you, this is useful info. 👍

• The battery on this thing is amazing. It's very odd only having to charge it every couple of days.

• @cyberheater said:

@joniqwest said:
    @cyberheater
    Thanks !

Now that SSDs have become insanely fast, swapping between RAM and SSD is less of a performance issue than it used to be.
    I don't know the details but I suspect that the less RAM you have available, the more swapping to SSD will happen. How much you'll notice that depends on what apps you're using but overall I would at least expect some reduction in SSD lifetime when working regularly with lower RAM sizes.

• edited October 2021

I recently bought a new M1 Mac Mini with 16GB ram and unfortunately I’m a little less impressed with it than others are. Don’t get me wrong I’ve barely scratched the surface with this computer but I tested a demo track on Reason 11 and compared the cpu performance with my 2012 Mac Mini i5 (16GB ram) with my new Mac Mini M1 (16GB ram) and the cpu performance is almost the same with the Mac Mini M1 showing one to two bars and the 2012 Mac Mini i5 showing just one bar.

However, things are different when I open a demo track on Logic Pro where my new Mac Mini M1 outperforms my 2012 i5 Mac Mini probably because Logic is optimised to take full advantage of the M1 chip.

Another problem with my M1 Mac Mini is that one of my favourite plugins JimAudio Poison-202 AU doesn’t show up on Logic Pro and it is missing from the plug-in manager on Logic Pro and Logic Pro is running in Rosetta. Every other plug-in works fine except for Poison-202 AU. To use Poison-202 I have to use it as a vst plug-in on Ableton Live on my M1 Mac Mini.

So far performance wise the M1 Mac Mini is a very powerful computer when using Logic Pro. However, the performance when using Reason 11 is about the same with my i5 2012 Mac Mini where the i5 performs a tiny bit better.

Hopefully if those things gets sorted I will soon be impressed with my new M1 Mac Mini but just now I’m a little less impressed.

• The main difference I’ve found is that I’ve never run out of dsp. It’s a perfect portable music machine. Light, small, amazing performance, great battery life and completely silent.

• @Artmuzz said:
    I recently bought a new M1 Mac Mini with 16GB ram and unfortunately I’m a little less impressed with it than others are. Don’t get me wrong I’ve barely scratched the surface with this computer but I tested a demo track on Reason 11 and compared the cpu performance with my 2012 Mac Mini i5 (16GB ram) with my new Mac Mini M1 (16GB ram) and the cpu performance is almost the same with the Mac Mini M1 showing one to two bars and the 2012 Mac Mini i5 showing just one bar.

Could it be that the Reason 11 project you used as a test engaged only the low-power cores on the M1? I'm asking because I had a moment of disappointment when I upgraded my iPad 9.7 2017 to the 10.2 2020 model only to realize the project I used as a test wasn't CPU demanding enough so only low power cores were used. When I added more plugins, the CPU meter dropped.

• For folks who bought a 2020 M1 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, how is Rosetta working for you these days?

I've been without a laptop for a while, am a Windows user, and would be mostly using Ableton Live Suite 11 and Native Instruments Reaktor. Tempted by the new 14 and 16 MBPs, but I'm shopping for groceries on an empty stomach.

• I now have an M1 iMac. Best version of the iMac (or any Mac) I’ve ever owned. It’s really, really fast.