Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vermona DRM1 MKIV [hardware]

@ashh just bought one of these and I, for one, am extremely jealous.

https://www.vermona.com/en/products/drums-percussion/product/drm1-mkiv-2/

Comments

• edited June 2021

A full clone could be built in Drambo but there's a nice free sample collection available here:
    https://rhythm-lab.com/vermona-drm1-mk3-drum-kit/

And another huge one with smaller variations, good for building round robin or velocity sensitive patches:
    https://rhythm-lab.com/vermona-drm3-robin-domingo/

• @rs2000 said:
    A full clone could be built in Drambo but there's a nice free sample collection available here:

I always welcome a Dramclone of hardware just for the fun of it.

Cheers for the samples. Would be interesting to hear the same samples from the MKIV as they improved the sound engine, especially the kick, I read.

• The inability to modulate any of the controls over CV or Midi is a major limitation, though lots of knobs are cool.

• edited June 2021

I hope they improved the unit heavily... ;)
    The original blue one (labeled MAM, but same internals) was a pita to operate.
    Only a tiny 15 degree angle in the leftmost region delivered the „interesting sounds“.
    I considered modding the pots, but instead traded it for Casio CZ1000 o:)

• @Telefunky said:
    I hope they improved the unit heavily... ;)
    The original blue one (labeled MAM, but same internals) was a pita to operate.
    Only a tiny 15 degree angle in the leftmost region delivered the „interesting sounds“.
    I considered modding the pots, but instead traded it for Casio CZ1000 o:)

Good choice in CZ. 🤘

• Thanks for the vids @Proppa!

• Another review:

• edited June 2021

I have a MkII back at home. Mojo for days. Only complaint I have abut the DRM-1 (every incarnation) is that it could be so much more dynamic if there were some way to modulate parameters. FM depth on the kick for example can't be altered by velocity. The DRM-1 would be the perfect instrument with cv inputs next to every knob.

• edited June 2021

LOL @gusgranite I was trying to keep it on the dl but now there's a thread about I suppose I could have a quick chat about how bloody amazing it is. I got the one with seperate outputs for each channel, which I hooked up to a little Behringer mixer. I am looking forward to the FAC drum synth coming out so that I can get some more visual representation of what I'm doing on it.

The manual is pretty good and really, it's about trying stuff. The main thing is that it puts a huuuuuge grin on my face.

@auxmux said:
    The inability to modulate any of the controls over CV or Midi is a major limitation, though lots of knobs are cool.

Yeah true but then, for me, the joy is in the human/hardware interface.

• @ashh the way I’ve been framing a DRM1 purchase (I’ve not yet) is 100% mental health and whatever else (useable for tracks) would be bonus. If I go for it I’ll get a Beat Step Pro too so that the whole rig is real knobs.

My question to you is: does anything else compare either sonically or otherwise? For example the recent DrumLab iOS app reminds me a lot of my Volca Drum. Is there anything like that for you and the Vermona?

• I wonder how the Mk4 compares to the Jomox Alpha Base...

• edited June 2021

@Proppa said:
    @ashh the way I’ve been framing a DRM1 purchase (I’ve not yet) is 100% mental health and whatever else (useable for tracks) would be bonus. If I go for it I’ll get a Beat Step Pro too so that the whole rig is real knobs.

My question to you is: does anything else compare either sonically or otherwise? For example the recent DrumLab iOS app reminds me a lot of my Volca Drum. Is there anything like that for you and the Vermona?

You know, if I'm honest then I'm fully expecting FAC Drumsynth to be in the same ballpark. In fact, I would be willing to bet that, given the chance and money aside, lots of people would choose the app. I think that it comes down to the age old hardware vs software thing. I truly enjoy the tactility of hardware. I enjoy the wires sticking out of it and the labels under the knobs and the clunk when I turn it on, the chrome, the feel of the cold aluminium and just the immediacy of pressing that button and feeling it boom. I really like putting down a beat and then tweaking the drums. Just that. I can do that on a screen but, for me, it's not the same. I feel invested in the DRM, because I have.

@rs2000 said:
    I wonder how the Mk4 compares to the Jomox Alpha Base...

Isn't that a 909 clone rather than a synth? I was thinking about getting one but the fact that it's twice as much as the DRM1 was definitely a speed bump lol.

• @gusgranite said:

@rs2000 said:

I always welcome a Dramclone of hardware just for the fun of it.

Cheers for the samples. Would be interesting to hear the same samples from the MKIV as they improved the sound engine, especially the kick, I read.

Yeah, the kick is incredible. No idea what the previous version's is like, to compare it with tbh.

• edited June 2021

@ashh The Alpha Base (not the older models) seems to be much more than that but you're right, the price makes my jaw drop 🤯

• I just threw together a few older instrument racks, far from a finished thing and not even a DRM1 clone but feedback regarding sound is welcome. Work in progress.

• @ashh said:

@Proppa said:
    @ashh the way I’ve been framing a DRM1 purchase (I’ve not yet) is 100% mental health and whatever else (useable for tracks) would be bonus. If I go for it I’ll get a Beat Step Pro too so that the whole rig is real knobs.

You know, if I'm honest then I'm fully expecting FAC Drumsynth to be in the same ballpark. In fact, I would be willing to bet that, given the chance and money aside, lots of people would choose the app. I think that it comes down to the age old hardware vs software thing. I truly enjoy the tactility of hardware. I enjoy the wires sticking out of it and the labels under the knobs and the clunk when I turn it on, the chrome, the feel of the cold aluminium and just the immediacy of pressing that button and feeling it boom. I really like putting down a beat and then tweaking the drums. Just that. I can do that on a screen but, for me, it's not the same. I feel invested in the DRM, because I have.

Great feedback. And doing nothing to lessen my already GAS.

• edited June 2021

The Captain Pikant channel stands on its own for sure. Lots of efforts made. Stimming reviews are one of my favorites. Thanks for the OoraMusic video, new channel subscribed because of him walking through the sounds of the Vermona.
    Recently took on to replicate in Drambo or rather get inspired by, the MFB Tanzbär. Went for many samples that I found, but it’s quite heavy. Keeps me from wanting the actual machines to much (I want one!)
    Would love to have a go at the Vermona DRM1. Perhaps a community effort could be fun?

@Proppa said:

• edited June 2021

@Frank303 said:
    The Captain Pikant channel stands on its own for sure. Lots of efforts made. Stimming reviews are one of my favorites. Thanks for the OoraMusic video, new channel subscribed because of him walking through the sounds of the Vermona.
    Recently took on to replicate in Drambo or rather get inspired by, the MFB Tanzbär. Went for many samples that I found, but it’s quite heavy. Keeps me from wanting the actual machines to much (I want one!)
    Would love to have a go at the Vermona DRM1. Perhaps a community effort could be fun?

@Proppa said:

Same same. I mean, hmu if you need anything from the machine.
    big up, @proppa

• Both videos show a huge difference to the MK-1 version, in particular the range for tweaks is greatly improved. Thumbs up :+1:

• Oooooooooooooooooooohhh no. Why did I have to see this?

• @brambos said:
    Oooooooooooooooooooohhh no. Why did I have to see this?

I'll buy it if you build it as an AU. 😄🙏

• @auxmux said:

@brambos said:
    Oooooooooooooooooooohhh no. Why did I have to see this?

I'll buy it if you build it as an AU. 😄🙏

Ditto, it's one of those things that would work extremely well on a touch interface ;)

• @rs2000 said:
    A full clone could be built in Drambo...

True and with curved envelopes it will/would be very easy to create super snappy percussion sounds :)

• FAC Drumkit will likely be a good candidate for re-creating these kind of sounds as well...

• @Samu said:
    FAC Drumkit will likely be a good candidate for re-creating these kind of sounds as well...

Yeah! Maybe @ashh would be kind enough to sample the open oscillator of each voice for us to shape in FAC Drum next week 😁
    (I’d supply samples from my MkII, but it’s on another continent right now)

• @aleyas said:

@Samu said:
    FAC Drumkit will likely be a good candidate for re-creating these kind of sounds as well...

Yeah! Maybe @ashh would be kind enough to sample the open oscillator of each voice for us to shape in FAC Drum next week 😁
    (I’d supply samples from my MkII, but it’s on another continent right now)

Great idea!