Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

Just bought one of these today, it has 2 IN ports, 1 USB 3 and 1 lightning so it can charge the iPad while having something connected in the USB 3 port. I also had for years the standard lightning to USB adapter (single port)

Wondering if anyone has come any compatibility issues with it?

My Roland A-49 keyboard does not power up with it, my other controllers do work correctly (QuNexus, Korg Microkey Air 25 and Novation Lauchkey).

So I am wondering is anyone has encountered problem with this newer adapter from Apple?

Comments

• My official cck3 is working without problem, but you may have to plug your controllers into a powered usb hub, which then connects to the cck3 adaptor. Depends on each controllers power requirements

• @zvon Your Roland controller might work if you supply power to the Lightning power port. That seems to raise the limit on available power at the USB port. Otherwise, you need a powered hub. Was the Roland working with the older USB adapter?

• Thanks gsm 909! Good suggestion, will try it. But the Roland A-49 does work correctly with the older CCK. No big deal for me as I now have both CCKs.

What I am wondering is if it's the USB 2 vs USB 3 that makes the difference or the type, single port vs dual port!?! Maybe the 2 ports version somehow allows less power to the USB port, saving more for the ligtning port.

• Hi uncledave, yes it works with the older adapter. I just tried it with the power supply connected and no luck, it did not power up. I will try with a powered hub tomorrow.

• @zvon said:
    Just bought one of these today, it has 2 IN ports, 1 USB 3 and 1 lightning so it can charge the iPad while having something connected in the USB 3 port. I also had for years the standard lightning to USB adapter (single port)

My Roland A-49 keyboard does not power up with it, my other controllers do work correctly (QuNexus, Korg Microkey Air 25 and Novation Lauchkey).

So I am wondering is anyone has encountered problem with this newer adapter from Apple?

Some USB devices require more charge than it handles. One solution (which I use ) is a powered USB hub in addition to power to the lightning port. Apple power adapters don't have enough juice for some devices (like a Launchpad X). So, a better power adapter is needed without s USB hub.

• @zvon said:

I have not. Not with the official Apple one. I use a couple different brands/sized External HD’s moving files back and forth, midi controllers, instruments/mic through an interface, worked every time. I did exactly what you did, had the single port for awhile then about a year ago I upgraded so I can charge as well.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@zvon said:

I have not. Not with the official Apple one. I use a couple different brands/sized External HD’s moving files back and forth, midi controllers, instruments/mic through an interface, worked every time. I did exactly what you did, had the single port for awhile then about a year ago I upgraded so I can charge as well.

Are you using the same keyboard as OP? If not, your devices might draw less power.

As I mentioned above, some USB devices use more power than the Camera Adapter will supply if the lightning power is coming from an Apple USB power adapter. I have to use a third party charger (and not all work for this) or my MacBook Air's USB out or a 3rd party powered hub. I have a number if USB midi peripherals that don't need the extra power...but my LaunchPad X is unusable without it...and others have reported the same. It all depends on the device's power draw.

• Thank you all for your advices!

• @zvon said:
    Thanks gsm 909! Good suggestion, will try it. But the Roland A-49 does work correctly with the older CCK. No big deal for me as I now have both CCKs.

What I am wondering is if it's the USB 2 vs USB 3 that makes the difference or the type, single port vs dual port!?! Maybe the 2 ports version somehow allows less power to the USB port, saving more for the ligtning port.

Well, theoretically the USB 3 port should provide more power than USB 2 - 900ma vs 500ma. But it's the dongles we are talking about. The dual port CCK delivers up to 100ma of power and the single port one probably allows a little bit more, just enough for your keyboard to work.
    I only have the USB 3 CCK and my Arturia keyboard works fine without any external power

• @espiegel123 said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@zvon said:

Are you using the same keyboard as OP? If not, your devices might draw less power.

As I mentioned above, some USB devices use more power than the Camera Adapter will supply if the lightning power is coming from an Apple USB power adapter. I have to use a third party charger (and not all work for this) or my MacBook Air's USB out or a 3rd party powered hub. I have a number if USB midi peripherals that don't need the extra power...but my LaunchPad X is unusable without it...and others have reported the same. It all depends on the device's power draw.

Yea I always use a powered usb hub, unless I connect a small thumb drive or my Korg nanokey controller via Bluetooth. Otherwise you need the extra power to use most devices.

• @zvon said:

I have a 2017 Ipad pro with lightning connector plus usb connector. I can charge my ipad whilst using my Edirol PCR-800 and I have never had an issue with this set up. I also use my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd gen and have found no issues connecting via usb. With the later set up I connect my edirol pcr -800 via the midi connectors on the Scarlett as apposed to the usb in.