Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TouchOSC released! Create MIDI control surfaces, etc.

Comments

• heshes
    edited June 2021

@Krupa said:
    Cheers @hes I’ve messed up a few python scripts in blender, as well as made some macro type things in it over the years, but never taken that big step into full on programs... I’m used to node based stuff in blender and notch and stuff but again that’s nicely set up... I’ll have a good dig, thanks 🙏

Rather than learning it all from the documentation, I'd guess that you could probably pick things up quicker by also looking at some example projects done in TouchOSC with Lua. I don't know whether any exist yet, though. I haven't checked how the script files in TouchOSC are saved, but I'm hoping they're text files that can be synced, shared, and version-controlled using git and/or online services like github, which simplifies things a lot (another Mozaic irritation that it can't do this).

• @hes said:

@Krupa said:
    Cheers @hes I’ve messed up a few python scripts in blender, as well as made some macro type things in it over the years, but never taken that big step into full on programs... I’m used to node based stuff in blender and notch and stuff but again that’s nicely set up... I’ll have a good dig, thanks 🙏

Rather than learning it all from the documentation, I'd guess that you could probably pick things up quicker by also looking at some example projects done in TouchOSC with Lua. I don't know whether any exist yet, though. I haven't checked how the script files in TouchOSC are saved, but I'm hoping they're text files that can be synced and shared via online services like github, which simplifies things a lot (another Mozaic irritation that it can't do this).

Yeah, some examples would be useful, as would the simple things you mention... there is a picture that has a 'steps' button which is at least inspiring :)

• @cian said:
    IOS9!

@hes said:

@Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:
    Wondering what to do on your old iPad? This runs on iOS 9 – – just checked on my iPad 4 and it is remarkably fluid

Any options to connect it to another iPad> @Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:
    Wondering what to do on your old iPad? This runs on iOS 9 – – just checked on my iPad 4 and it is remarkably fluid

What are the connectivity options. Any way for iOS to iOS connection?

You can enable a virtual midi input and output port, so it shows up in ios apps like AUM so you can send it to another iOS device or PC, or wherever using different methods eg midi interface.

Then it's better to invest in a Bluetooth controller. I am searching for a simple way to externally and wirelessly controll an iPad running Cubasis or Nanostudio2. Without any extra dongles like audio interfaces.

Sure you could use another app to send over bluetooth, but I prefer hardware for reliability.

In fact it has a wifi client in the app so I'm sure it's possible, just haven't tried this yet. :)

edit: looks like the wifi client is there for linking the editor on an external ipad..need to play with this more to see if it allows receiving midi.

It looks to me like TouchOSC is now in many ways similar to Mozaic, but much more full-featured and not quite as easy to use. The scripting language has facilities for sending and receiving MIDI. I see no reason this wouldn't work over Bluetooth midi. It also looks like it works with MIDI over any connection you can create with TouchOSCBridge, which appears to create network connections over wifi or USB:
    https://hexler.net/touchosc/manual/connections-bridge

The Lua scripting language and UI facilities in TouchOSC are much more suited to building big projects than Mozaic and its limited language and UI. I expect Mozaic, on the other hand, will remain easier and quicker for most users to work in to knock off a simple task. But once you have a library of reusable code that works the way you want in TouchOSC it could be quite fast to develop in, assuming things work as advertised.

It doesn't seem to have any timing code, and obviously it's not auv3 (and I suspect it will never be). That said, I can this working very well with Mozaic.

I think you're right about working in combination with Mozaic.

One project I've had on my mind but so far never gotten to doing was to integrate Mozaic with Pythonista using the MIDIFire OSC Bridge. The idea was you could send some message to a Pythonista script from Mozaic, have the difficult or speed-dependent processing done there, then have Pythonista send a "result" message back to Mozaic. Never got around to it, partly because Pythonista scripts can't be kept alive as audio-related, can't control when or whether they die in the background. This TouchOSC/Lua combo looks better in every way for that kind of thing. Of course, it was all kind of a solution in search of a problem, since I've so far not developed Mozaic scripts that needed this. :smile:

• Does Mozaic support OSC?

• @yug said:
    Does Mozaic support OSC?

No.

• @wim said:
    @gkillmaster said:

Let me get this straight, can I make a Bitwig DAW controller out of this, like transport controls etc.? And, in what ways is this different from Midi Designer Pro?

You should be able to control anything in Bitwig that is midi or OSC controllable. It's very much along the lines with Midi Designer Pro. The main differentiator is the LUA programming language. MDP2 has Streambyter support for some scripting tasks. The LUA environment is probably (I haven't looked into this in detail) many times more powerful.

Thank you for the clarification

• i have Mk1, it this update worth the $10? Seems super streamlined but I haven't gotten it yet.

• @gkillmaster said:
    i have Mk1, it this update worth the $10? Seems super streamlined but I haven't gotten it yet.

Yes, especially if the number of us get behind it like the launch pad pro Mark three

• @audiobussy said:

@gkillmaster said:
    i have Mk1, it this update worth the $10? Seems super streamlined but I haven't gotten it yet.

Yes, especially if the number of us get behind it like the launch pad pro Mark three

I just got a Launchpad X so I hope I can make it work with it.

• @gkillmaster said:

Check out the desktop version if you want to give it a test drive. There's a demo available if curious.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@gkillmaster said:

Do you have Midi Designer Pro 2 or Lemur. If so, and if you wouldn't be likely to use the scripting, then I don't see a reason, at least from my brief glance at it.

That opinion may change when I take it for a spin. Even though I don't need it, I'm positive I won't be able to resist. That's OK though, this guy has been supporting my original measly purchase for something like 10 years. He deserves the support even if I never make use of it.

• @wim said:

@gkillmaster said:

Do you have Midi Designer Pro 2 or Lemur. If so, and if you wouldn't be likely to use the scripting, then I don't see a reason, at least from my brief glance at it.

That opinion may change when I take it for a spin. Even though I don't need it, I'm positive I won't be able to resist. That's OK though, this guy has been supporting my original measly purchase for something like 10 years. He deserves the support even if I never make use of it.

I have both of those and did use them and then forgot about them and now I want to give it all another go. Good point you make him deserving support. I feel the same and did buy it today. I remembered how daunted I felt when I first try to learn to set up Lemur just to get it to connect. I'm holding out hopes that there may be a library of good templates people make. And I look forward to trying my hand at it to see if it's too far over my head.

Midi Designer Pro 2 seems pretty simple by comparison to touchOSC or Lemur to me.

• @gkillmaster said:

Ah, so this is a new version rather than an update. I’ll check out the differences.

• edited June 2021

I am really hoping that @wim takes a serious liking to it and makes some amazing and invaluable Templates we didn’t know we needed…i wonder if an in scale randomized probability sequencer could be made with the scripting language?
    Nah…that seems impossible..
    I know the temptation of the impossible is a strong motivator for some people.
    😬

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

I’m feeling unusually lazy about things like this right now. A lot of big life changes are surrounding me right now. I guess they’re taking up those extra brain cycles. 😬

Plus, My AU only leanings are as strong (and as illogical) as ever right now, sadly.

• TouchOSC released ? Didnt this come out >10years ago?

• @soundtemple said:
    TouchOSC released ? Didnt this come out >10years ago?

Read the thread.

• Ooops

re-written the application from the ground up

• The tinkerer in me wants this a lot but I am resisting because it will be another rabbit hole that it will take ages for me to get out of. Looks pretty powerful though and with the promise of more to come.

• Old templates appear to load ok.
    Primary use case for me is controlling desktop, but I'm sure I'll also use it on ipad - ipad for jamming with occasionally.
    I would prefer to build on desktop but it looks like you have to buy the windows version now to do this..although I guess the old editor should also still work.

• Honestly the built in editor is worth the price alone, so much more convenient! Exited to see what comes of the scripting too, it’s even got be reading up on Lua trying to wrap my head around the basics to see what’s possible.

Anyone here experienced with Lua?

• edited June 2021

@Carnbot said:
    I would prefer to build on desktop but it looks like you have to buy the windows version now to do this..although I guess the old editor should also still work.

Step 1:
    On desktop go to Edit -> Editor Network (or just click on the WLAN-icon in the toolbar) -> Server -> Enabled (tick it on)
    Step 2:
    On iPad go to Editor Network -> Client - > Connect to your desktop
    Step 3:
    Profit ;)

The desktop version has a nag screen when you open it but other than that it appears to work as an editor for the iPad app for me. Never used TouchOSC before this version, so maybe I’m missing something here.

• Still on the fence about this one. It looks great but I was expecting a bit more from its scripting engine. I checked the manual and it does not seem possible to build sequencers with it. But it's ok, I think I was expecting too much :)

Anyway, new TouchOSC looks like a cool app for building interactive control surfaces

• I am on the same page as wim - knowing I don't really need this new version, but I am so curious I will eventually end up buying it :smiley:
    Anyhow, even with previous version, I was secretly hoping for AU. I see the challenge with this: The ability to create your own UI with already pretty tough requirements on AUs to provide GUI that adjusts to any size of a container could be quite mind-blowing. But I can imagine it is either already somehow handled or there could be simply some acceptable limitations, e.g. some parts would be simply cut off unless you provide it some "standard" window size (most AU hosts with fixed AU container sizes use similar proportions anyway).
    So still secretly hoping this will be the next step - having power of custom GUI and AU hosting would allow you to have MIDI scripts similar to Mozaic, just with tailor-made GUI that is I personally miss so much in Mozaic.

• The description says: " we support every type of wired & wireless MIDI connection..." I guess that includes Bluetooth MIDI. Can anyone confirm?

• just downloaded it! will start to tinker with it soon.

• @yokotate said:

@Carnbot said:

Step 1:
    On desktop go to Edit -> Editor Network (or just click on the WLAN-icon in the toolbar) -> Server -> Enabled (tick it on)
    Step 2:
    On iPad go to Editor Network -> Client - > Connect to your desktop
    Step 3:
    Profit ;)

The desktop version has a nag screen when you open it but other than that it appears to work as an editor for the iPad app for me. Never used TouchOSC before this version, so maybe I’m missing something here.

ok great thanks, will have a look at the desktop version. :)

• edited June 2021

@yug said:
    Still on the fence about this one. It looks great but I was expecting a bit more from its scripting engine. I checked the manual and it does not seem possible to build sequencers with it. But it's ok, I think I was expecting too much :)

Anyway, new TouchOSC looks like a cool app for building interactive control surfaces

I'm not a coder, but what makes you think that it can't do sequencers?
    The app comes with a Pong game clone which makes me think it should be possible....

• @Carnbot said:

@yug said:
    Still on the fence about this one. It looks great but I was expecting a bit more from its scripting engine. I checked the manual and it does not seem possible to build sequencers with it. But it's ok, I think I was expecting too much :)

The app comes with a Pong game clone which makes me think it should be possible....

You can make it send periodic MIDI messages, based on system time, but that's about it
    There are no MIDI clock events at all, internal or external

• @yug said:

@Carnbot said:

@yug said:

You can make it send periodic MIDI messages, based on system time, but that's about it
    There are no MIDI clock events at all, internal or external

oh I see, It does say some things are still in development so maybe we'll see more abilities added...