Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to live sample in AUM?

idxidx
edited June 2021 in General App Discussion

Hi guys. I'm trying to wrap my head around live sampling.
I want to use hardware synths with some preset, sample it and change preset to the other one to have another sound while previous still looping around.

I've tried to use Koala like on this video at the end of the post. But for me it does not work like that. Samples are recorded freely and not connected to the grid. I don't know how, but guy on video did manage to record sample for perfect 4 bars even when he start playing much later than record sampler was enabled. In my case silence is recorded to the file which mess timing completely. I want recoding samples to be stick to the grid like AUM native recoding does.

Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Thanks!

Comments

• In theory you could control the sample recording via a looping sequence so that it triggers the hit on an empty pad and then retriggers (to end recording) once the sequence loops back to the start and hits the pad again.

Does that make sense?

• @PeteSasqwax do you mean to send midi trigger to the pad? This is interesting, I will try.

• Yes, exactly that! Because each of the pads have a MIDI note value attached to them you can trigger them via a sequence, irrespective of whether they hold sample data or not, meaning you can arm and disarm them via MIDI. I'm not sure if the internal sequences will allow you to enter note data for a pad with no sample in it but external sequencers will allow you to do it and you could possibly put something in a cell, place it on the sequence and then delete the contents. I have to admit, I've tried this second method as it only just occurred to me but the principle seems sound enough...

• @idx said:
    Hi guys. I'm trying to wrap my head around live sampling.
    I want to use hardware synths with some preset, sample it and change preset to the other one to have another sound while previous still looping around.

I've tried to use Koala like on this video at the end of the post. But for me it does not work like that. Samples are recorded freely and not connected to the grid. I don't know how, but guy on video did manage to record sample for perfect 4 bars even when he start playing much later than record sampler was enabled. In my case silence is recorded to the file which mess timing completely. I want recoding samples to be stick to the grid like AUM native recoding does.

Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Thanks!

For what you describe, Loopy, Group the Loop , L7 might be more suitable than Koala. Koala is great, but those other apps are setup out of the box to record loops of pre-determined length (which you can easily change before recording any loop).

My favorite is the Loopy/Audiobus/AUM combo.

I put together some tutorials about the Loopy combo which you can access from this wiki article
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=loopy_aum_integration_with_audiobus_3

• Quick and nasty video explainer for doing it with Koala and Atom 2

• Thanks for the replies. I tried both ways: Koala with AUM + Atom. And Also Loopy.
    For now the easiest option is to put enso looper on separate channel and capture signal from sending channel.
    Still not figured out how to properly map it to my midi buttons. Works pretty well from UI but not from my midi.

I will continue investigating best option for me to make it work to be able to live looping instruments - none of them are working well for one or another reason. Issues tied to seamless midi triggering possibility which is not a case for me.

Anyway I have direction now, thank you.

Regards

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

if you're using Enso, this wiki article and video may help. It's not geared toward your exact workflow, but it does explain some of the looping options that might be useful.

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=tutorial_lower_session_cpu_usage_with_enso

Also, I think I recall posts about the audio in Enso not being preserved when you save an AUM session unless you save the audio to an Enso preset first ... or something. You might want to keep an eye out for that.

My preferred route is Loopy or GTL.

• The thing I like about the Koala option is that, if you're prepared to build the session in Atom 2, it gives you 64 pads of loops that loop instantly and keep doing so until you tell them not to. It's utter chaos, but it's possible.

Personally, I really like the Loopy HD approach, but I haven't used it a lot because I got a Push 2 and used the Rachel Collier approach (but looping isn't a major part of my process yet - which is something I do want to change)

• One thing to keep in mind with Koala in AUM is there's no state saving. Naming the Koala project the same as the AUM session is a good way to remember what needs to be loaded, but you still need to load the Koala project each time (unless you're just picking up where you left off last time).

Audiobus + Loopy Pro (+ AUM) allows saving everything in a single Audiobus session to get back up and running quickly.

• The way I'd do it, the Koala project would be empty every time I started using it so it wouldn't be an issue, but it's a point definitely worth making

• edited June 2021

@PeteSasqwax said:
    The thing I like about the Koala option is that, if you're prepared to build the session in Atom 2, it gives you 64 pads of loops that loop instantly and keep doing so until you tell them not to. It's utter chaos, but it's possible.

Personally, I really like the Loopy HD approach, but I haven't used it a lot because I got a Push 2 and used the Rachel Collier approach (but looping isn't a major part of my process yet - which is something I do want to change)

She is phenomenal! She inspires me to take my ableton sessions to the next level. Still wrapping my head around all that ableton is.

Honestly ios isn't really suited for the live looping scene with some workout arounds. I find just using AUM with the sync quantum set to 4 bars to be the best option. Record, open another track and insert the loop into the file player, continue to jam.

You can make some awesome loops in Koala and export them and insert into a file player. It's been the best workflow for me that keeps me inspired and not frustrated that I can't get things to work how I want. Because if you spend a lot of time trying to make things work, that passion for what you're trying to create begins to dwindle. Fizzle out seems to be pretty common in iPad sessions until you find a solid workflow.

Here's a video of Henny using the AUM method.

• I do love the AUM quantum method, I was just looking for a solution that would loop the recording immediately but you're right it's totally not a lengthy process. Actually I do have another suggestion but give me a few days to try it out properly.

I'm with you 100% about RC making me want to learn everything I can about Ableton! Those live performance videos (and the amazing walk throughs) make me want to stop painstakingly labouring over music and start capturing it in the moment instead. It's a lengthy journey to get there from where I currently am, but it's an exciting one all the same!

• Yes! She really demystifies the whole process. Her recent video actually broke things down a little further and answered some of my questions. Neon Vines has some amazing performances as well. Although not as elaborate, Teatro makes some awesome live looping videos and tutorials also.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your LK, EG Pulse method of audio launching was pretty inspiring.