Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TouchOSC released! Create MIDI control surfaces, etc.

You can create layouts with the integrated editor:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/touchosc/id1569996730

Comments

• Thanks for the info. Looks potentially very useful. Is it possible to run it on an iOS device and wirelessly send MIDI messages to another?

• That's great, an AUv3 module would have been a bonus but will still get this for the built in editor :)

• @israelite said:
    Thanks for the info. Looks potentially very useful. Is it possible to run it on an iOS device and wirelessly send MIDI messages to another?

My guess is this is a top use scenario

• @Carnbot said:
    That's great, an AUv3 module would have been a bonus but will still get this for the built in editor :)

The editor is impressive. Was surely a pile of work

• @audiobussy said:

@israelite said:
    Thanks for the info. Looks potentially very useful. Is it possible to run it on an iOS device and wirelessly send MIDI messages to another?

My guess is this is a top use scenario

Here's hoping.

• Yes this looks really useful...I found Lemur a pain to work with and barely used it, but this looks much easier to set up.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yes this looks really useful...I found Lemur a pain to work with and barely used it, but this looks much easier to set up.

The real plus of the lemur was the idea and the user library. This is a modern implementation with all the bells and whistles. I am sure our community will come up with some great templates

• edited June 2021

Wondering what to do on your old iPad? This runs on iOS 9 – – just checked on my iPad 4 and it is remarkably fluid

• @Carnbot said:
    That's great, an AUv3 module would have been a bonus but will still get this for the built in editor :)

+1!

• @audiobussy said:
    Wondering what to do on your old iPad? This runs on iOS 9 – – just checked on my iPad 4 and it is remarkably fluid

What are the connectivity options. Any way for iOS to iOS connection?

• +1 for AUv3... 👍🎛🚀

• @israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

You can enable a virtual midi input and output port, so it shows up in ios apps like AUM so you can send it to another iOS device or PC, or wherever using different methods eg midi interface.

• @audiobussy said:

Any options to connect it to another iPad> @Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

You can enable a virtual midi input and output port, so it shows up in ios apps like AUM so you can send it to another iOS device or PC, or wherever using different methods eg midi interface.

Then it's better to invest in a Bluetooth controller. I am searching for a simple way to externally and wirelessly controll an iPad running Cubasis or Nanostudio2. Without any extra dongles like audio interfaces.

• edited June 2021

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

Then it's better to invest in a Bluetooth controller. I am searching for a simple way to externally and wirelessly controll an iPad running Cubasis or Nanostudio2. Without any extra dongles like audio interfaces.

Sure you could use another app to send over bluetooth, but I prefer hardware for reliability.

In fact it has a wifi client in the app so I'm sure it's possible, just haven't tried this yet. :)

edit: looks like the wifi client is there for linking the editor on an external ipad..need to play with this more to see if it allows receiving midi.

• edited June 2021

Does anyone know of it already comes with some presets and or example setups?

Or do we just import from the v1 of the app?

• Official site with full cross-platform manual: https://hexler.net/touchosc

• @echoopera said:

It does come with some presets, not loads though.

• heshes
    edited June 2021

@Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

Sure you could use another app to send over bluetooth, but I prefer hardware for reliability.

In fact it has a wifi client in the app so I'm sure it's possible, just haven't tried this yet. :)

edit: looks like the wifi client is there for linking the editor on an external ipad..need to play with this more to see if it allows receiving midi.

It looks to me like TouchOSC is now in many ways similar to Mozaic, but much more full-featured and not quite as easy to use. The scripting language has facilities for sending and receiving MIDI. I see no reason this wouldn't work over Bluetooth midi. It also looks like it works with MIDI over any connection you can create with TouchOSCBridge, which appears to create network connections over wifi or USB:
    https://hexler.net/touchosc/manual/connections-bridge

The Lua scripting language and UI facilities in TouchOSC are much more suited to building big projects than Mozaic and its limited language and UI. I expect Mozaic, on the other hand, will remain easier and quicker for most users to work in to knock off a simple task. But once you have a library of reusable code that works the way you want in TouchOSC it could be quite fast to develop in, assuming things work as advertised.

• @Carnbot said:

@echoopera said:

Thanks...I'm looking at the desktop version. This looks like it will be something which could grow into something great over time once the community gets behind it. Once it's on PatchStorage...watch out :)

• @echoopera said:

@Carnbot said:

@echoopera said:

Thanks...I'm looking at the desktop version. This looks like it will be something which could grow into something great over time once the community gets behind it. Once it's on PatchStorage...watch out :)

Exactly.

• @hes said:

@Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

It looks to me like TouchOSC is now in many ways similar to Mozaic, but much more full-featured and not quite as easy to use. The scripting language has facilities for sending and receiving MIDI. I see no reason this wouldn't work over Bluetooth midi. It also looks like it works with MIDI over any connection you can create with TouchOSCBridge, which appears to create network connections over wifi or USB:

The Lua scripting language and UI facilities in TouchOSC are much more suited to building big projects than Mozaic and its limited language and UI. I expect Mozaic, on the other hand, will remain easier and quicker for most users to work in to knock off a simple task. But once you have a library of reusable code that works the way you want in TouchOSC it could be quite fast to develop in, assuming things work as advertised.

The limitations of the Mosaic UI elements are both a glorious feature and dismal shortcoming.

• it even comes with Pong :)

• IOS9!

@hes said:

@Carnbot said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

@israelite said:

@audiobussy said:

It doesn't seem to have any timing code, and obviously it's not auv3 (and I suspect it will never be). That said, I can this working very well with Mozaic.

• Let me get this straight, can I make a Bitwig DAW controller out of this, like transport controls etc.? And, in what ways is this different from Midi Designer Pro?

• I'm trying to figure out if I can make a better version of the Dixie / FM sequencer I made with mozaic last year, and if so, will it be easier or harder...

• @Krupa said:
    I'm trying to figure out if I can make a better version of the Dixie / FM sequencer I made with mozaic last year, and if so, will it be easier or harder...

Interesting… Will look forward to your progress

• @audiobussy said:

@Krupa said:
    I'm trying to figure out if I can make a better version of the Dixie / FM sequencer I made with mozaic last year, and if so, will it be easier or harder...

Interesting… Will look forward to your progress

Still reading the manual in search of answers before jumping in tbh :D

• heshes
    edited June 2021

@Krupa said:

You can probably answer this for yourself by reviewing the Lua reference link near the top of this page: https://hexler.net/touchosc/manual/script

And also take a look at all the MIDI API page links on lower right side of that page.

If those appear daunting to you, then likely it would be much harder to do in TouchOSC. Mozaic is kind of "scripting for kiddies" and simplifies a lot of stuff, while remaining quite powerful. The Lua language and MIDI API in TouchOSC make a lot more possible, and make some things much easier for people who know how to program, but if you're not an experienced programmer I'd suggest staying away (at least unless learning a general purpose programming language like Lua is a separate goal of yours and something you'd have fun doing).

A Mozaic solution isn't necessarily inferior to a scripting solution in TouchOSC. Mozaic is probably the right tool for the majority of small scripting projects. Mostly, it's just less flexible than the script-enabled TouchOSC appears to be. TouchOSC might be a good route to go for people who know how to program and are irritated by the limitations of Mozaic, e.g., Mozaic's big limitations in string handling and lack of string variables.

• @gkillmaster said:

Let me get this straight, can I make a Bitwig DAW controller out of this, like transport controls etc.? And, in what ways is this different from Midi Designer Pro?

You should be able to control anything in Bitwig that is midi or OSC controllable. It's very much along the lines with Midi Designer Pro. The main differentiator is the LUA programming language. MDP2 has Streambyter support for some scripting tasks. The LUA environment is probably (I haven't looked into this in detail) many times more powerful.

• Cheers @hes I’ve messed up a few python scripts in blender, as well as made some macro type things in it over the years, but never taken that big step into full on programs... I’m used to node based stuff in blender and notch and stuff but again that’s nicely set up... I’ll have a good dig, thanks 🙏