Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sending clock from AUM

Hello, I have my iPad Air 2020 connected via USB C to my Arturia KeyStep. When I run a MIDI sequencer like SnakeBud in AUM, the CV and Gate outputs of the KeyStep send control voltage according to SnakeBud to my modular synth based on the clock within AUM. However, when I connect the clock out of the KeyStep to the clock of the modular synth, the KeyStep is not putting out any clock signal, unless I set it to the internal clock mode, which is a different one than the AUM clock. Does anyone have experience how I can send the AUM clock through KeySteps clock output?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@christsinfamie said:
    Hello, I have my iPad Air 2020 connected via USB C to my Arturia KeyStep. When I run a MIDI sequencer like SnakeBud in AUM, the CV and Gate outputs of the KeyStep send control voltage according to SnakeBud to my modular synth based on the clock within AUM. However, when I connect the clock out of the KeyStep to the clock of the modular synth, the KeyStep is not putting out any clock signal, unless I set it to the internal clock mode, which is a different one than the AUM clock. Does anyone have experience how I can send the AUM clock through KeySteps clock output?

From what I can see you just need to change MIDI Out to MIDI Thru in the Keystep settings. Check the manual. I'd link it but I don't know for sure which model you have. This is assuming your firmware is up to date as well. There wasn't always a MIDI Thru option.

• I’ll run through my setup and see if this helps. I set my keystep to USB, send AUM’s clock to the keystep, run my cv and gate (I’m running into a moog though) and then for SnakeBud, I’d send the midi to the keystep in the AUM matrix and then hit play and I get notes

• @wim said:

@christsinfamie said:

From what I can see you just need to change MIDI Out to MIDI Thru in the Keystep settings. Check the manual. I'd link it but I don't know for sure which model you have. This is assuming your firmware is up to date as well. There wasn't always a MIDI Thru option.

This sounds about right. I don’t have my Mac with me today but will try it tomorrow. I have the current firmware on my regular KeyStep. Thank you

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I’ll run through my setup and see if this helps. I set my keystep to USB, send AUM’s clock to the keystep, run my cv and gate (I’m running into a moog though) and then for SnakeBud, I’d send the midi to the keystep in the AUM matrix and then hit play and I get notes

Which midi exactly do you send to KeyStep in the Matrix and which setting is on your KeyStep, amigo? USB, internal, MIDI or the external sync in? Thank you, too

• @christsinfamie said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I’ll run through my setup and see if this helps. I set my keystep to USB, send AUM’s clock to the keystep, run my cv and gate (I’m running into a moog though) and then for SnakeBud, I’d send the midi to the keystep in the AUM matrix and then hit play and I get notes

Which midi exactly do you send to KeyStep in the Matrix and which setting is on your KeyStep, amigo? USB, internal, MIDI or the external sync in? Thank you, too

I’ll send the midi out from SnakeBud to the midi in on the Keystep side though the midi matrix and on the back panel of the Keystep, I have those sliders set to USB cos I’m plugged into the iPad with a CCK

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@christsinfamie said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

I’ll send the midi out from SnakeBud to the midi in on the Keystep side though the midi matrix and on the back panel of the Keystep, I have those sliders set to USB cos I’m plugged into the iPad with a CCK

Do you have it on MIDI through in the KeyStep settings? Because then I assume that is what I am missing as I do everything else like you said

• In the AUM tempo settings, I think you’ll need to enable midi clock and send it to the Keystep as well. Otherwise, there is no clock signal to be sent to the KS’s clock out jack.

• Thank you! I tried that and indeed I receive MIDI clock now from AUM via the clock out of KS. However, the KS then starts playing and ignores all that comes from SnakeBud. :(

• @christsinfamie said:
    Thank you! I tried that and indeed I receive MIDI clock now from AUM via the clock out of KS. However, the KS then starts playing and ignores all that comes from SnakeBud. :(

Set it to sequencer and use an empty sequence, then hit hold on the ks and then the shift button and Oct +. That’s the setting for when you want to play over a sequence but the empty sequence lets just the midi come through

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@christsinfamie said:
    Thank you! I tried that and indeed I receive MIDI clock now from AUM via the clock out of KS. However, the KS then starts playing and ignores all that comes from SnakeBud. :(

Set it to sequencer and use an empty sequence, then hit hold on the ks and then the shift button and Oct +. That’s the setting for when you want to play over a sequence but the empty sequence lets just the midi come through

Tried that, too. Sadly it won’t work. The moment I hear the sequence, the sync out no longer sends information as before. With empty sequence you mean one where I just put a rest?