Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Something new from FAC Drumkit.

Comments

• @vasilymilovidov said:

@NeuM said:
    I’ve wanted to build my own Neil Peart-like drum kit in GarageBand forever. Would be terrific if we could fill out the toms and cymbals of a standard kit and just really customize to our own style.

Now, it’s not clear how these drums are triggered. It does not look like there are drum pads which would allow tapping to play in the app… Is this correct? I would not want to have a kit I could only trigger with a keyboard.

there’s a manual trigger but it is used for a sound preview of sorts.

Then I guess this won’t be for me. Thanks.

• i can say now that it’s an amazing app and my main drum synth from now on. very easy and fun to play with. and very powerful.

• @NeuM said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

@NeuM said:
    I’ve wanted to build my own Neil Peart-like drum kit in GarageBand forever. Would be terrific if we could fill out the toms and cymbals of a standard kit and just really customize to our own style.

Now, it’s not clear how these drums are triggered. It does not look like there are drum pads which would allow tapping to play in the app… Is this correct? I would not want to have a kit I could only trigger with a keyboard.

you can use something like KB-1 with it

• @Krupa said:
    Any one know if the iPhone version has a portrait mode, or is it locked to landscape?

It does have a portrait mode

• @Krupa said:
    Any one know if the iPhone version has a portrait mode, or is it locked to landscape?

Screenshots show portrait

• @NoiseFloored said:

@Krupa said:

It does have a portrait mode

@oat_phipps said:

@Krupa said:

Screenshots show portrait

Nice nice nice, I couldn’t tell from the screenshots if it was just wishful thinking or not :)

• @Samu said:

@aleyas said:

Really want to know if the sample player allows different sample zones/slices. I've become entirely accustomed using a single wav comprising of multiple single hits. Assigning each hit in the wav to a separate zone allows either round robin playback, triggering the zone based on velocity, or random zone playback. IME, it's the best way to take advantage of a single sample slot. Same concept for loading a breakbeat too.

It's 1s per sample and one sample per instrument slot, all the specs are on the linked page.
    http://fredantoncorvest.com/FAC_Drumkit.html

Don't know how I can fit crash-cymbals, rides etc. into 1s but that's another story :D

1s :#

Well, I'm sure the drum synthesis will be top notch. Ticking most boxes for a solid SeekBeats replacement (and beyond). I'll be honest though, the sample support was my primary interest of this app.

• @vasilymilovidov said:

@NeuM said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

@NeuM said:

you can use something like KB-1 with it

I’ve never gotten KB-1 to work and it was my most regretted app purchase.

• how long of a sample can be used? someone said 1second, but the demo video on youtube seemed to show a longer sample, because you could here the room reverb after the hit. i’m hoping it’s a longer sample length that can be adjusted with those very cool envelope options

• @eross said:
    how long of a sample can be used? someone said 1second, but the demo video on youtube seemed to show a longer sample, because you could here the room reverb after the hit. i’m hoping it’s a longer sample length that can be adjusted with those very cool envelope options

Fred must hate crash cymbals??

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    i can say now that it’s an amazing app and my main drum synth from now on. very easy and fun to play with. and very powerful.

Are the envelopes also limited to 1 second? The promo video only displays a max envelope period of 1s for any given voice.

• edited June 2021

@aleyas said:

@vasilymilovidov said:
    i can say now that it’s an amazing app and my main drum synth from now on. very easy and fun to play with. and very powerful.

Are the envelopes also limited to 1 second? The promo video only displays a max envelope period of 1s for any given voice.

yes, they are. sample/envelope length and no way of adjusting sample playhead beyond 1s are my only major issues with Drumkit. but i’m sure it will be addressed.

• Preordered. Always looking for new drum sounds and FAC apps are always uniquely awesome in some way

• edited June 2021

don’t know if it’s still going to work when drumkit is released bc it’s kind of an exploit, but you can map and modulate envelope points in drambo.

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    don’t know if it’s still going to work when drumkit is released bc it’s kind of an exploit, but you can map and modulate envelope points in drambo.

What kinda of 'synth waveforms' do we get to play with?
    (Samples are off less interest due to 1s limit which is mostly good for transient type sounds).

• RingMod with a pitch envelope per oscillator is an endless source for weird percussion sounds and using multiple channels for one sound by layering should be a blast! (Still deeply impressed by FractalBits though).

• @Samu said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

(Samples are off less interest due to 1s limit which is mostly good for transient type sounds).

plus noise of course

• what i also really like is a very nice list of conveniently named envelope presets

• @vasilymilovidov said:

@Samu said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

plus noise of course

Thanks!
    Still too few apps implement S&H/Decimated noise that can be pitched, It's perfect for percussion sounds :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi1nai6qthkztco/decimatednoise.mp4?dl=0
    (Yeah. I'm SID-Damaged beyond repair).

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    there are some new videos from Fred
    https://www.youtube.com/c/FredAntonCorvest/videos

I love Fred’s apps, but this app would have to offer a lot more than what’s available to me now in GarageBand or from competing apps.

• @NeuM said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

I love Fred’s apps, but this app would have to offer a lot more than what’s available to me now in GarageBand or from competing apps.

and i'm not someone to listen to because Drumkit seems almost tailor-made for my needs and is something i was looking for a while now :D
    but i'm sure lots of people will be very happy with it.

• @vasilymilovidov said:

@NeuM said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

and i'm not someone to listen to because Drumkit seems almost tailor-made for my needs and is something i was looking for a while now :D
    but i'm sure lots of people will be very happy with it.

At least we are both better informed about what the app offers now, so that’s a positive.

• Weirdly feel the need to defend the 1s sample choice, I think people are missing the intent behind the app and why a sample length cap can makes sense. Think about what an app really is trying to be; an instrument. It’s called Drumkit…. It’s quite clearly not designed to be used as a super sampler for all your needs. Limitations are so so important when designing an instrument, it directly informs the users and are usually very purposeful to improve the experience, whether he it be in the sound, the interface, how fun it is to use etc.

While I agree 1s is on the (very) short side, I get the decision 🙆

• @ronnieb said:
    Weirdly feel the need to defend the 1s sample choice, I think people are missing the intent behind the app and why a sample length cap can makes sense. Think about what an app really is trying to be; an instrument. It’s called Drumkit…. It’s quite clearly not designed to be used as a super sampler for all your needs. Limitations are so so important when designing an instrument, it directly informs the users and are usually very purposeful to improve the experience, whether he it be in the sound, the interface, how fun it is to use etc.

agree. it's not a sampler. it's a drum synth. with a specific set of tools for a specific palette of sounds (a very wide one nonetheless). everyone will get a much better understanding of its powers once it's released.

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    agree. it's not a sampler. it's a drum synth. with a specific set of tools for a specific palette of sounds (a very wide one nonetheless). everyone will get a much better understanding of its powers once it's released.

How is it on cpu btw?
    Also is there and built in bus saturation?

• edited June 2021

@ronnieb said:
    Weirdly feel the need to defend the 1s sample choice, I think people are missing the intent behind the app and why a sample length cap can makes sense. Think about what an app really is trying to be; an instrument. It’s called Drumkit…. It’s quite clearly not designed to be used as a super sampler for all your needs. Limitations are so so important when designing an instrument, it directly informs the users and are usually very purposeful to improve the experience, whether he it be in the sound, the interface, how fun it is to use etc.

Well it's not just an arbitrary sample length limit, it's the length limit of all synthesized sounds in the app (due to max envelope period). So as far as I can tell one couldn't program a long boomy 808 kick, for example.

I do believe in playing to an instruments strengths though, so I'd likely be programming much tighter kits with this app than with something like Drambo or Drum Computer. No issues with that. I suppose those multi segment envelopes got me comparing it to SeekBeats though, which had these crazy 5-10 second long multi segment envelopes. A single hit on step one could last the duration of the whole pattern, and sound like multiple hits with careful envelope programming. It was brilliant.

• Apart from cymbals, cuicas and some other odder percussion sounds most dry drum samples fit well within the 1s limit :)
    I think it's best to see it as a 'drum synth' rather than a 'drum sampler'.

@vasilymilovidov Does it allow mapping velocity to envelope speeds and things like that? (I presume yes).

• @ronnieb said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

How is it on cpu btw?
    Also is there and built in bus saturation?

both of my ipads are very new, but 6 instances of drumkit doesn't do much to them.
    no, no saturation.

• @Samu said:
    @vasilymilovidov Does it allow mapping velocity to envelope speeds and things like that? (I presume yes).

not quite sure what you mean by that. controlling speed of an envelope with velocity?