Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I would like to ask some Egoist questions before I make the purchase

Comments

• @Accent said:

That said, I wish the sample randomization button was a bit easier to hit. I have to repeatedly tap it before it actually does anything. It's a minor gripe, but even making the button a bit larger would help.

The slicer randomizer? Yea, the hit detection is slightly off, to the right of the button. Just imagine the button being a few more millimeters to the right then it is, for now :P

• @Buska Thanks mate. I'll give it a try in the morning, if I can ever drag myself off to bed. Been a while since a lost sleep over an app, thankful it's Friday. Back to it.... :)

• It's possible to choose the number of slices, isn't it? I don't want to be stuck with 16 the whole time!

• Yes, number of slices and play order is totally customizable.

• @thinds said:

Yes, number of slices and play order is totally customizable.

Really? I can see the sensitivity button but that's about it. If the transients are regular and obvious it can be precise but when the waveform is non dynamic I find the app struggles a bit. It kinda goes from nothing to loads. I find myself swiping up and down to add markers a la samplr but it ain't working ;) am I missing something?

• I've just finished mt Epic Giude To Egoist so it should be up later today

• @thesoundtestroom said:

I've just finished mt Epic Giude To Egoist so it should be up later today

Look forward to it :)

• @supadom said:

@thinds said:

Really? I can see the sensitivity button but that's about it. If the transients are regular and obvious it can be precise but when the waveform is non dynamic I find the app struggles a bit. It kinda goes from nothing to loads. I find myself swiping up and down to add markers a la samplr but it ain't working ;) am I missing something?

This is an area of puzzle for me also....any insight as to exact control would be very welcome...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

@thinds said:

This is an area of puzzle for me also....any insight as to exact control would be very welcome...

Its on its way

• Nice one Doug, I'm scratching my head about some of it's features, but saying that it's probably the most fun I've had with an app since I bought Samplr.

• It has its own thread but I'll stick it here too
    http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/egoist-epic-guide/

• Thanks Doug. You make the best videos. I always learn so much. :)

• @Buska said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Buska It's a peach isn't it? Good ideas. How are you using animoog? Forgive my lack of immediate understanding, just got back from the gym and my higher senses (such as they are) have sweated away from me...

Just go into the options in egoist and then hit the midi logo, then in there there's a option to enable midi out from the bass synths seq. now turn off the bass synth to mute it (it will still output midi), and then in animoog just choose egoist midi channel in midi options :) works great!

What the what??? Awesome!! Thank you.

• @Buska said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Buska It's a peach isn't it? Good ideas. How are you using animoog? Forgive my lack of immediate understanding, just got back from the gym and my higher senses (such as they are) have sweated away from me...

Just go into the options in egoist and then hit the midi logo, then in there there's a option to enable midi out from the bass synths seq. now turn off the bass synth to mute it (it will still output midi), and then in animoog just choose egoist midi channel in midi options :) works great!

Just to reiterate for anyone else; I followed up as per @Buska and this works beautifully.

• For the drums in particular, I'd love it if SugarBytes borrowed a good idea from LoopSeque: each step in the loop can have three states: 'on', 'off' or 'every other'. Depending on when you set it to 'every other', it will play in the first or second iteration of the loop.

It's a pretty interesting and easy way to extend 16 steps. A little trickier here because drums can already have (at least) 3 states which I guess means 5 if this were implemented (off, on loud, every other loud, on soft, ever other soft).

Or maybe there's an overlay in the drum section where the active drum steps/icons are replaced with a number. The default is 1 and we can slide up between 1-4: 1 is every loop, 2 every other, 3 every third...

Been playing with again for the past hour. Really loving it but the lag is bad. I've turned everything off that I can think of within the egoist tab and increased the buffer size to the highest. According to audioshare, I have about 5 gigs of space left on my iPad. The lag between touch and respond feels like almost a second sometimes.

• @syrupcore hmmm, can't say I have had any lag whatsoever. Maybe machine related? Air 1, 8.1 here. Anyone else?

• edited November 2014

Yeah, that sounds snappier. I'm on iPad 3 with iOS7.1

• edited November 2014

Pouring with rain here in Austin. Any epithet you can think of, cats and dogs, sheets, buckets, hard to tell my bass drums from the thunder. Thinking of Kubler-Ross and wondering if there's not some scale we shouldn't be able to apply to apps. I've spent the evening (so far) looping this thing until smoke's coming out of the iPad, but I've gone from limerence to too much noise in the ears. Hardly being able to hear or judge what's good or otherwise. And then comes an unrecognized staleness, a sameness, followed, finally, by a lack of caring. I know, put it down and come back tomorrow....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Pouring with rain here in Austin. Any epithet you can think of, cats and dogs, sheets, buckets, hard to tell my bass drums from the thunder. Thinking of Kubler-Ross and wondering if there's not some scale we shouldn't be able to apply to apps. I've spent the evening (so far) looping this thing until smoke's coming out of the iPad, but I've gone from limerence to too much noise in the ears. Hardly being able to hear or judge what's good or otherwise. And then comes an unrecognized staleness, a sameness, followed, finally, by a lack of caring. I know, put it down and come back tomorrow....

Cool at first but without longevity?

• Johnny's post makes me think more about the importance of taking breaks over longetivity or impact of a tool. After about 2 hours, I hit the wall with any piece of kit, regardless of how good it is. Even if you can push it to 4+ hours, eventually anything you do will sound same-y. You've gotta stretch your legs and rest your ears; I'd rather break up an 8 hour session with a break every hour or so than sit tight for 4 hours at a time because I won't fall down my own asshole.

• edited November 2014

Interesting comments about lag - not noticing any on my older iPad 2 running iOS 7 - maybe it's an iOS 8 issue?

• @monzo thanks for that. Alas, I'm on iOS7 too but on an iPad 3. Ready for a new one but keep hedging. Enjoying this app enough that it might be what finally sends me to the apple store.

I think my iPad has been under-performing for quite some time but I also haven't carved out the time to wipe it clean and reinstall from scratch. I could wipe and restore from iCloud a little more easily but it seems to me like I'd be just putting it back to the same possible shitshow state via that route (or itunes restore). Also not sure if that would force an upgrade to 8.

• Yeah, I know what you mean @JohnnyGoodyear egoist can be overwhelming. This I think is because a lot can be achieved very quickly but often this lot can turn into a pile of shite if not moderated by the left hemisphere.

Also I just found either a bug or a feature but not sure which it is yet. I just tried to replace the loop In a slicer with something different which loaded correctly into a track but other tracks/patterns still play the old sample. I thought it was 1 sample per project but it would look like there can be different loop in each pattern? I'm very confusing especially because I found a different bug in it this morning which made jumping between patterns when moving bass pitch thingie. This stopped when I closed BM2 which was on on the background which makes me think it was a ram related misbehaviour.

• definitely a feature: each pattern can have its own sample.

• Yay! Out of the dark ages I am!

• @syrupcore said:

@monzo thanks for that. Alas, I'm on iOS7 too but on an iPad 3. Ready for a new one but keep hedging. Enjoying this app enough that it might be what finally sends me to the apple store.

I think my iPad has been under-performing for quite some time but I also haven't carved out the time to wipe it clean and reinstall from scratch.

It might help, I deleted a whole bunch of apps then reinstalled to clear the data cache. I freed up 5gb doing this which has helped speed things up.

• Sun out this morning, actually and metaphorically....

Reminds me of the old saw that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem or (on the same serious subject) that few men will commit suicide after a good night's sleep, a decent breakfast and a bowel movement...

OK. Bit dramatic, I grant you :)

To respond to @mkell424 as regards longevity of this app etc, I have no doubt it is an addition to the collection. Straight into the first team. Got moved to the front page (top row even :) and I woke up (as is often the way) with some new ideas and some solutions to the 'problems' I was having. The sub-conscious can be a good band member if you'll just give it the chance....

But I agree with @supadom as regards things getting out of balance if not moderated by the left hemisphere. For many years I'd learned the lesson that sitting in a studio and being blasted by the PA and then even the monitor speakers in front of a mixing desk degraded the ears and the senses over time. For a while there I believed this is what cocaine was invented for, but that turned out to be a (literal) third rail...

As this is a common issue/occurrence I would suggest that it can also be measuring stick as regards apps and their longevity....sometimes they run out of steam, the limitations becoming larger than the inspiration they provide, but in good situations, like this one, it's more a matter of too much choice and the first excitement of 'hey, look, cool!' giving way to having to still get down to 'alright, but beyond the superficial fun what the hell do you actually want to MAKE with this, how will it help you with the work you're trying to accomplish, rather than overlay a little glitter and keep you from focusing on the projects/completion you want to achieve...'

More than anything, I believe, as others are already finding, that once you get your hands on something good, it's imperative that you figure out how to integrate it into the other things you already use to express yourself with. To use the band metaphor one last time; it's thrilling to find a new player who seems pretty world-class at what he does, but he has to find his place with the rest of the guys.

Onwards and upwards...

• edited November 2014

For me the ultimate test of the app's worth is to actually visualize what I want from it and then proceed to recreating it. It comes easy when someone actually asks you for something very specific, almost like: make me a sound of a realistic toilet flush using IVCS3.

Today I've come to realize that it is for the first time that I have on my hands a beats app that perfectly syncs with a DAW (in my case bm2). I've come close with many other apps but the 'close' was never close enough for me to actually use something it has produced. This is different. I can already see myself sending off the remix of the track that I was asked by my friend about 10 months ago. I've tried different combos using AB. All synths recorded in audio, slave gadget to bm2, sequence midi from bm2 etc, etc....

Guess what, I never crossed the reasonably happy threshold with those attempts. I've always left them unfinished and thoroughly frustrated. Now with Egoist and BM2 I'm well beyond that threshold and I'm already contemplating getting Cubasis so I can get to use sugar bytes effects within cubasis through iaa with egoist running in parallel.

By the way, has anyone tried this?

• @supadom you might want to read the section of the manual for Egoist where it talks about being able to change patterns, etc. via midi and with this knowledge you might be able to resolve some of your current frustrations.

• What frustrations? @Paulinko