Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU multi-out (e.g. DigiStix) in MultiTrackStudio

This may be common knowledge but I only found out today through trial and error that MTS lets you use the buses from AUs with multiple audio outputs such as DigiStix. This is a biggie for me and I can’t believe I did not already know this.

Here is a quick how-to:

1. Add DigiStix to a MIDI track and create a basic beat sequence for the bass drum.
  2. Long press the bass drum pad and when the menu appears, click “Output”.
  3. In the window that appears, select “Output Bus” 2
  4. Now create an audio track and add the internal MTS compressor effect.
  5. If you click the “Clean” option then you’ll see that the side chain menu appears. Select the track/inst combination corresponding to the track containing DigiStix combined with the “Output Bus” number, e.g. ‘Track 2 - Inst 2” for track 2, bus 2.
  6. In this mode you can use the bass output as a sidechain for the current track but here we want just the raw bass drum output so click on the “Monitor” button:

1. Mute the DigiStix MIDI track and hit play. You should hear your bass drum coming through your audio track!
  2. You can now add any drum-specific audio effects to the signal chain.

Exporting audio stems does not seem to work with this method but mixdown does. If you just want individual drums then just mute the other tracks and do a mixdown. You can simulate track freeze or bounce by using the mixdown to General Pasteboard option and then using Add Track -> Import Audio/MIDI and selecting General Pasteboard - works really well in the testing I have done.

TIP: the mixdown asks for two time values but you can add markers to the timeline by clicking on the MIDI clock and selecting “Add Marker”. These can then be selected instead of timestamps in the mixdown panel.

Comments

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    This may be common knowledge but I only found out today through trial and error that MTS lets you use the buses from AUs with multiple audio outputs such as DigiStix. This is a biggie for me and I can’t believe I did not already know this.

Here is a quick how-to:

1. Add DigiStix to a MIDI track and create a basic beat sequence for the bass drum.
    2. Long press the bass drum pad and when the menu appears, click “Output”.
    3. In the window that appears, select “Output Bus” 2
    4. Now create an audio track and add the internal MTS compressor effect.
    5. If you click the “Clean” option then you’ll see that the side chain menu appears. Select the track/inst combination corresponding to the track containing DigiStix combined with the “Output Bus” number, e.g. ‘Track 2 - Inst 2” for track 2, bus 2.
    6. In this mode you can use the bass output as a sidechain for the current track but here we want just the raw bass drum output so click on the “Monitor” button:

1. Mute the DigiStix MIDI track and hit play. You should hear your bass drum coming through your audio track!
    2. You can now add any drum-specific audio effects to the signal chain.

Exporting audio stems does not seem to work with this method but mixdown does. If you just want individual drums then just mute the other tracks and do a mixdown. You can simulate track freeze or bounce by using the mixdown to General Pasteboard option and then using Add Track -> Import Audio/MIDI and selecting General Pasteboard - works really well in the testing I have done.

TIP: the mixdown asks for two time values but you can add markers to the timeline by clicking on the MIDI clock and selecting “Add Marker”. These can then be selected instead of timestamps in the mixdown panel.

Sweet!
    Thanks for posting this, I had no idea

• Ha, Giel didn’t realise it was there either!

• Cool, there is a wiki page with a list of multi bus AUs so I’ll see which ones I have and see if they work as well as DigiStix https://wiki.audiob.us/au_multi_bus

• This method could also be used to extend the effects chain of a track as it also works as a plain audio bus.

Tried the following so far and all work as expected:

DigiStix
    EvolverFX
    GR-16
    KQ Dixie

Could not get Scatterbrain to expose its outputs unfortunately.

MultiTrack Recorder both accepted multi-in and exposed 8 outputs visible when loaded into a MIDI track. I haven’t tried testing it yet but it raises some interesting possibilities.

I have Drambo but I am still clueless with it so no idea if it works or not! I can say its 8 outputs are available.

DigiKeys is on sale I think so this gives me the perfect excuse to buy it.