Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cube Synth Pro?

How is it so far? Is it that much better than regular Cube Synth in your opinion?

Comments

• I never bought the original Cube Synth but I like this one so far. I’ve only played around with it for about a half hour but there’s a lot to dig into and a lot sound possibilities but it still has that overall Virsyn sound imo. The whole path thing definitely reminds me of Animoog, which is cool.

• It seems to have so many similarities to the original!

• @gkillmaster said:
    It seems to have so many similarities to the original!

But it’s an audio unit, I didn’t buy the original because it wasn’t

• The addition of AUV3 is justification enough to "buy it again", I think. The app produces some fabulous sounds.

• It sounds great! But I think I’ve found a bug. On the “cube” page the LFO dials just disappear when I touch them. Anyone else noticed this?

• edited May 2021

Havent check the bug - definitely email them if it’s a thing after reinstall etc
    Lack of AUv3 held it back but it’s top tier since it dropped, for me. Stuff that can take your head off, like AddStation. But different. All Virsyn are must haves, again for me. I could do my stuff strictly with them but I say that about a few developers that are also top. I have a sickness…

• Don’t have the original but this synth is fun. I’m trying to figure it how to use it still i forget most the stuff from gavs video cuz i was watching n working so i need to watch it again but the 400 presets are nice. A lot of em are kind a the same but there’sa lot of potential

• Lovely synth ... seriously deep - hours of fun ... haven't hooked up any MPE kit yet.

There's a conceptual issue that stares me right in the face - a control problem ... where's the "cube"? It's a square. I can't roll it around and get in the back. Make the thing a cube.

With a well designed GUI - one that gave you immediate control of FX, arps etc via this 3D "cube" and you'd have a very exciting bit of gear ... one that looks and works as radically and uniquely as this very clever synth. Tracking signal pulses through a path is wonderfully useful and informative.

If you like additive synthesis and complexity you'll find this a lot of fun.

• @Soundscaper said:
    Lovely synth ... seriously deep - hours of fun ... haven't hooked up any MPE kit yet.

There's a conceptual issue that stares me right in the face - a control problem ... where's the "cube"? It's a square. I can't roll it around and get in the back. Make the thing a cube.

With a well designed GUI - one that gave you immediate control of FX, arps etc via this 3D "cube" and you'd have a very exciting bit of gear ... one that looks and works as radically and uniquely as this very clever synth. Tracking signal pulses through a path is wonderfully useful and informative.

Would be a cool optional function if you could roll around a simulated semitransparent 3D cube and make edits.

• @NeuM said:

@Soundscaper said:
    Lovely synth ... seriously deep - hours of fun ... haven't hooked up any MPE kit yet.

Would be a cool optional function if you could roll around a simulated semitransparent 3D cube and make edits.

Uh-oh…

• @NeuM said:

Uh-oh…

Got it in a nutshell really ... even more fun on a touchscreen with a few fingers working I'd imagine ... made for ios.

• I don’t have the original- but I’m really liking it so far. Nice interface. Also don’t have Addstation - but do own Addictive & Addictive Pro - I’m liking Cube the best of those!

• And it'll have to be an ios version too at $250 a pop for the mac...

Early on I was actually fantasising something along the lines of a rubic's cube ... assignable pads or keys ... or any of all eight faces of the cube at a touch... be a wild ride.

• @Soundscaper said:

Agreed, I found it very very hard to wrap my head around the gui initially. Trust me, at least it is better now than it was, after I got them to add the square from the morph page to the env page. When it didn't have that it was seriously bewildering. I love Virsyn’s sound but it has to he said that UI and UX are weak points they need to work on. This thing is ugly, imo, like all their apps. But they have a unique vision and sound that allows me to kind of forgive the UI/UX

• @Soundscaper said:
    And it'll have to be an ios version too at $250 a pop for the mac...

Early on I was actually fantasising something along the lines of a rubic's cube ... assignable pads or keys ... or any of all eight faces of the cube at a touch... be a wild ride.

That'd be 6 sides then wouldn't it? Curse these pills.

• @Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

Agreed, I found it very very hard to wrap my head around the gui initially. Trust me, at least it is better now than it was, after I got them to add the square from the morph page to the env page. When it didn't have that it was seriously bewildering. I love Virsyn’s sound but it has to he said that UI and UX are weak points they need to work on. This thing is ugly, imo, like all their apps. But they have a unique vision and sound that allows me to kind of forgive the UI/UX

I agree. UI could use some finesse from beta tester feedback perhaps.

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

I agree. UI could use some finesse from beta tester feedback perhaps.

It's nothing to do with beta tester feedback. Virsyn are not responsive to requests to change the UI. I gave them plenty of very direct feedback, lots they took on board, most UI and UX stuff.... No

• edited May 2021

I guess it would he a lot of work for them to do a UI overhaul. Well, the only way it's gonna happen is if enough people complain, or vote with their feet, or their wallets

• @Gavinski said:
    I guess it would he a lot of work for them to do a UI overhaul. Well, the only way it's gonna happen is if enough people complain, or vote with their feet, or their wallets

Ah, well.

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:
    I guess it would he a lot of work for them to do a UI overhaul.

Virsyn make real ear candy but I do wish they'd have a look at how an outfit like Bleass uses the space - every pixel transmitting control or feedback ... not a mm2 of silent wasted decorative space.

Thing is though they make such unique and left-field apps that any worthwhile GUI will likely be similarly odd and one-off. Just more tactile and responsive.

• @Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Virsyn make real ear candy but I do wish they'd have a look at how an outfit like Bleass uses the space - every pixel transmitting control or feedback ... not a mm2 of silent wasted decorative space.

Thing is though they make such unique and left-field apps that any worthwhile GUI will likely be similarly odd and one-off. Just more tactile and responsive.

I doubt their apps will ever change significantly unless they hire a UI designer specifically for the purpose of making their apps more user friendly. Most developers are one person or a very small team.

• @Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Bleass are basically the example I use any time I am critical of a dev's UI/UX, Bleass are absolutely great in this regard, though even they still have room for improvement. There are very few devs thinking really outside the box when it comes to UIs. Far too many knobs in apps that don't do intelligent things that are easy on a virtual UI but difficult on analogue gear - for example, every delay should have the kind of 'change value only on release' that I convinced Jonatan Liljedahl to add to AU3FX:Space. Many apps would benefit from being able to jump from one value to another rather than having to twist through unmusical intermediate values to get to where you want to go. Audiomodern are doing some great things in this regard, like the way the triggers in Chordjam work. But yeah, Virsyn are way way behind the curve with their UIs imo

• @NeuM said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

I doubt their apps will ever change significantly unless they hire a UI designer specifically for the purpose of making their apps more user friendly. Most developers are one person or a very small team.

True, I also doubt it. They could maybe hire someone for a one off to update their interface code they use across all their apps? Then they could get another 5 or 10 years of use out of that perhaps? I'm not sure, I'm no dev, but sounds plausible.

• @Gavinski said:
    Trust me, at least it is better now than it was, after I got them to add the square from the morph page to the env page. When it didn't have that it was seriously bewildering.

Thank you for that!
    It's one of those no-brainer features that makes it a bit more 'obvious' :)

Another would be envelope point number labels on the X & Y points.
    On the main page there is absolutely ZERO way to tell which of the envelope point is 'on top' when moving them.

I'd love the FM & RingMod options from Addictive Pro find their way into CubeSynth Pro...
    ...but for now I'll stick to Addictive Pro.

Cheers!

• @NeuM said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Let's put this into perspective though, shall we. They could also be Igor, Erik or Anthony, in which case you would still be stuck trying to even find the controls, let alone figure out what on earth they are supposed to be doing. 🤷

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:
    Trust me, at least it is better now than it was, after I got them to add the square from the morph page to the env page. When it didn't have that it was seriously bewildering.

Thank you for that!
    It's one of those no-brainer features that makes it a bit more 'obvious' :)

Another would be envelope point number labels on the X & Y points.
    On the main page there is absolutely ZERO way to tell which of the envelope point is 'on top' when moving them.

Agree with this, yeah, in general, I think the main page is not good for manipulating those complex envelopes. The whole thing is a little bit flawed perhaps in concept. As someone said,aube if it was visualised as an actual cube rather than 2D, it would help. Still, very cool synth despite some flaws and quirks

• @ervin said:

@NeuM said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

Let's put this into perspective though, shall we. They could also be Igor, Erik or Anthony, in which case you would still be stuck trying to even find the controls, let alone figure out what on earth they are supposed to be doing. 🤷

Yup!

• @Gavinski said:

Still, very cool synth despite some flaws and quirks.

It's delicious ... a great snack on its own but several hooked up together is absolute gluttony ... super-size me! ... sound everywhere.

I'm getting the hang of some of it but I've very glad of the rando button at the end of a long day. .. and additive synths just well add up really... makes it HUGE!

• i’m actually ok with their UIs. there are some problems (like envelope points, yeah), but overall it is usually quite clean and clear. on the other hand i absolutely hate the UIs of sugar bytes and iceworks apps, so don’t listen to me.

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    i’m actually ok with their UIs. there are some problems (like envelope points, yeah), but overall it is usually quite clean and clear. on the other hand i absolutely hate the UIs of sugar bytes and iceworks apps, so don’t listen to me.

Virsyn UIs are definitely not the worst, for sure. Clean and clear they are indeed. We’re just getting spoiled by devs like Bleass upping the standards.