Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPadOS updates

Comments

• I have always worried about the engineered obsolescence of Apple’s updates. I began iOS music production in early 2015 on an Air 2. I wanted to keep it at as close to the version it shipped with, of course updating when I absolutely had to (system wide bugs & security issues). The issue as others brought up is eventually the best iOS music production app’s move to a minimum version requirement that’s beyond the version you want to keep the iPad at.

So I’ve just been updating my Air 3 pretty regularly. I might wait a week and see if any bugs are reported but will update to the new version. I absolutely understand the concern though...

• I may not be representative to of an average user but iPadOS14.4 works fine on my iPad Air 2.
    I’ve had the ‘dissapearing AUv3’ issues maybe 4 or 5 times since iPadOS was initially released last year and the ‘blank AUv3 icon’ thing 2-3 times and that’s about it.

For the most part thigs just work.

Don’t know if I’m just one of the lucky ones or something!?

• edited January 2021

Ruins life if I update. I mean apps either are not functional or cpu gets goofy etc. I think it is due to my older iPad. SO that may or may not apply at all to PRO or new ones. I just speak for iPad 5 few years old...

• @Samu said:
    I may not be representative to of an average user but iPadOS14.4 works fine on my iPad Air 2.
    I’ve had the ‘dissapearing AUv3’ issues maybe 4 or 5 times since iPadOS was initially released last year and the ‘blank AUv3 icon’ thing 2-3 times and that’s about it.

For the most part thigs just work.

Don’t know if I’m just one of the lucky ones or something!?

All working here too.

• @wim said:

@Vip8888 said:
    It made my Air 2 very laggy, where it intermittently completely freezes and becomes unresponsive for a minute or so. :(

That's the only report of such a thing I've read anywhere. It seems like there's a good chance there is something else going on. I'd be interested to hear if any other Air 2 users have had this experience since I have an Air 2 still on iOS 13.7.

Glad to hear (for others) that it might be a one-off in my case.

• I have an iPad Pro 12.9 version 2, 2017. I am running 13.7 .Is it safe for me to update to the current ios?

• Anybody else getting battery drain on 14.4? I went up from 13.3 and it sure seems like it.

• @Crawlingwind said:
    Anybody else getting battery drain on 14.4? I went up from 13.3 and it sure seems like it.

Wait a few days until the system has done doing all the background stuff it needs to do after an update.

My iPad Air 2 already has a very old battery (6+ years) good for 3-4 hours of use and that's about what I expect from it.
    I also keep it wall-powered most of the time since it's hooked to an USB audio-interface.

Optimizations always have two sides, either slow and less power usage or faster and more power usage...

Personally I updated for the features not battery time, but that's me.

• edited January 2021

@Crawlingwind said:
    Anybody else getting battery drain on 14.4? I went up from 13.3 and it sure seems like it.

Check Battery in Settings, to see if there's a rogue background process. You might have to restart to get rid of it. Usage seems about normal to me.

Edit: Tap in the list to see the runtimes, look for something that's been running forever, that shouldn't be.

• @ralis said:
    I have an iPad Pro 12.9 version 2, 2017. I am running 13.7 .Is it safe for me to update to the current ios?

As mentioned up-thread, the major remaining bug is sometimes all the AUv3 apps go missing until you reboot the device. it happens more frequently for some people than for others. It seems like there are problems with Cubasis 3 on 14 with some AU's. I could be wrong on that point though. I'm only going from memory of posts I've scanned.

Unless there is some iOS 14 feature you're just dying for, or an app you want that isn't available on 13.7, then there's no reason not to wait until 14 has the disappearing AU's thing sorted.

Feeling the peer pressure from your friends that have all those new emojis?? ;)

• I am for the future and like new tech but I still wished I stayed where the Alchemy synth app worked (it was 32 bit).
    Also i dislike that Apple likes to remove very useful things like 3D touch and the chance to get that on iPads is zero now.
    (OT- but same with the rumours they might remove the Touch Bar, which is a major feature for me personally).
    So yeah, normally it really up to the good old rule, never change a running system until you really want some new software/features which just runs with updated OS. That said, I am almost always early to update.

• My Air 2 has been on 14 since the beta. It’s on 14.3 now with no issues. The disappearing AUv3 icons has not happened for me since 14.0.1 or 14.1 it was one of those. My pro 2nd gen is still 13.7 but I’ll update it after I get a backup. It’s about 400GB so might take a bit to do the backup.

• I usually just glance on this forum to make sure nothing completely exploded and then just go for it pretty much right away. I don’t think any updates have ever caused a serious problem for me that I can recall.

The only real problem I ever had was right when the 2018 iPad pros came out and there were massive cpu spikes for just that particular device. It took months to fix (with 12.1.3 if I remember right) so I tend to look at updates as a welcome sight now 😆

• Was probably a total coincidence and it was doomed to die anyway but my wife’s one year old iPad completely died when updating to iOS 14.3. She punched in her passcode and the screen went black forever. I took it to the Apple store and they said, “It’s dead and 43 days past the warranty. Want to buy a new one?”

• It generally seems to take at least 4 to 6 weeks to flush out all the issues. This time the disappearing plugins one didn't start to really come into focus until more than a couple weeks after release. That one is taking longer than expected to be addressed.

My minimum wait is 6 weeks. But, since the introduction of the files app (whatever version that was) there hasn't been one single update feature that I care about even a tiny bit. For me iOS updates are necessary evils, no more.

• @wim said:

@ralis said:
    I have an iPad Pro 12.9 version 2, 2017. I am running 13.7 .Is it safe for me to update to the current ios?

As mentioned up-thread, the major remaining bug is sometimes all the AUv3 apps go missing until you reboot the device. it happens more frequently for some people than for others. It seems like there are problems with Cubasis 3 on 14 with some AU's. I could be wrong on that point though. I'm only going from memory of posts I've scanned.

Unless there is some iOS 14 feature you're just dying for, or an app you want that isn't available on 13.7, then there's no reason not to wait until 14 has the disappearing AU's thing sorted.

Feeling the peer pressure from your friends that have all those new emojis?? ;)

Thank you that, I will stick with 13.7

• iOS14.6 & iPadOS14.6 just dropped...

I'll do my usual check-up and if I bump into issues I'll be vocal about it :)
    (Most likely things will just keep on working as usual on my trusty old iPad Air 2).

• @Samu said:
    …..I'll be vocal about it

I can’t wait! 😂

• It’s probably dependent on many things, including the age of the hardware. I’ve rarely experienced issues with updates, and those have been minor and fixed in point updates.

To be honest it’s got to the point where I don’t worry about it at all - I’ll wait a couple of days after release then update.

• I will say 14.5/6 has been chewing through my battery.
    Anyone else experience this?

• @Samu said:
    iOS14.6 & iPadOS14.6 just dropped...

I'll do my usual check-up and if I bump into issues I'll be vocal about it :)

Good. Hopefully it won't break Gadget. I'm still on iPadOS 13.2. Not sure if the AUv3 icons thing is still an issue in iPadOS14.6.

• edited May 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I will say 14.5/6 has been chewing through my battery.

Haven't noticed that in 14.5 (or 14.6 yet), but overall 14 eats the battery faster than 13, ime.

Never had the 'No AUv3' issue, or crackling audio, or audio playback/transport issues, and 14.6 seems OK with the old Audiobus+AUM stress tests I use after an update.

Edit: I'm using 2017 and 2018 iPads that still had physical Home buttons.

• 14.6 is so far the best update (I've only been around since 13.x) as all of a sudden I can work with projects that always balanced on the edge in AUM. They must have done something to better serve Ram and/or CPU (not my expertise) beside the fact that the crackling is gone that I any many others had problems with. So happy right now, feels like I got a new machine. :)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Yes. Since 14.4 and even more after updating to 14.5

• edited May 2021

Yep this one seem smooth on the iPhone 12, 14.6

• edited June 2021

Edited June 4 2021 for clarity:

iOS 12.2 vs iPadOS 14.6 Stress Tests on a 2018 iPad 6th Gen (old stress tests from 2019):

Audiobus 3 Preset: 'STRESS TEST CPU 110': 5 Rozetas driving 4 heavy AUs (Cyclop, Aparillo, Quanta, Synthmaster One) + Ruismaker. http://preset.audiob.us/pdTALMx6z2hAapM

March 2019 Tests:
    iOS 12.2; Audiobus Mixer view; Watching CPU meter while Audiobus is stopped (CPU Min) and playing (CPU Max):
    * 64 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 43-114%. Occasional crackling, especially with Cyclop+Aparillo GUI open, but no CPU spikes, other synths OK; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 128 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 29-79%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 256 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 28-52%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 512 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 32-46%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 1024 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 21-39%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.

May 2021 Tests:
    iPadOS 14.6; same criteria as above:
    * 64 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 36-131%. Continuous crackling (when Audiobus is playing). Unusable.
    * 128 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 26-72%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 256 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 22-49%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 512 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 24-37%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.
    * 1024 Frames at 44.1kHz: CPU Min-Max: 23-31%. No crackling; GUIs smooth + useable.

• ipad pro 11 2018, 14.6 is ok here

• Am I the only one getting regular audio engine crashes (Air A14)? Started with 14.5.1, hoped 14.6 would fix but still happens. I‘m loosing my mind with this shit

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Yes, it seems that Apple's 'buy a new device, please' protocol has zapped in for my iPad Pro 10.5 inch from 2017.

• @ronnieb said:
    Am I the only one getting regular audio engine crashes (Air A14)? Started with 14.5.1, hoped 14.6 would fix but still happens. I‘m loosing my mind with this shit

Ah bugger, I was hoping this would be fixed.