Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge updates to AudioShare and AUM

Comments

• Huge +1s for these

@blueveek said:

@sloJordan said:

@blueveek said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:
    +1 for #2> @Svetlovska said:

@j_liljedahl : just one more idea: I often build out my pieces by duplicating elements then altering the duplicate in some way. This works fine for the Audio channels, but wastes a lot of screen real estate if duplicating a midi lane, eg, duping a MIDISTEPs instance, as these also stack horizontally, meaning each duped midi app ends up as the single app on a fresh lane, when at least three or four could easily be accommodated without scrolling. Would it be possible to allow a duped midi app instance instead to be drag and dropped onto another midi lane, so they could be stacked vertically?

Great idea, would love to see that change

Drag and drop of nodes between channelstrips (both audio and midi) is something I've wanted to add for a long time, as well as duplication of single nodes.

(this would be incredibly useful for Atom 2, and would tremendously lower the workflow overhead in working with multiple instances)

Especially if duplicating a node would also duplicate the midi routings! that would be a game changer

Yup!

• As mixer navigation is a common topic / category of request, I hope people know this bit of information:

You can long-press/click the horizontal scroll bar in AUM to quickly drag via finger or mouse, once it has appeared.

I also recommend the iPad Magic Keyboard or likely the Magic Trackpad 2 - you can 2-finger swipe quickly to scroll to beginning or end of AUM’s mixer with one gesture

• If I have created a set of FX for a channel in AUM that I particularly like. Is there a way of saving that collection and importing it into a completely different file for use on a different setup? I know I can duplicate the channel within a setup but I want to add a much loved fx combination to a new/different set.

• @Daub said:
    If I have created a set of FX for a channel in AUM that I particularly like. Is there a way of saving that collection and importing it into a completely different file for use on a different setup? I know I can duplicate the channel within a setup but I want to add a much loved fx combination to a new/different set.

When you add a lane in AUM , choose Import and it will let you import one or more lanes from another AUM session.

• @j_liljedahl Why on earth did you decide to 'force' dark-mode in the latest AUM update??

I suffer from bad eye-sight and honestly hate dark-mode and this change affects one of my most beloved AUv3's...
    ...namely @blueveek 's Atom 2. Now all my saved sessions are a 'dark mess' which I do NOT like!

Please consider adding an option to disable this behavior, not everybody loves to live in the dark...

Cheers!

• edited May 2021

@Samu said:
    Please consider adding an option to disable this behavior, not everybody loves to live in the dark...

Just for clarity, I’ll also have a look at maybe adding a force-override inside Atom.

I don’t have strong opinions on the host-level force dark mode, however I’m a little concerned about AUM overriding the settings set in Control Center, when most other hosts just pass it through immediately when set, without intervention. I think one could argue that it’s reasonable to force every AU developer to implement their own light/dark toggle inside their UI, but I also think this might make more sense as a host-level toggle, or a system-level toggle (which I prefer instead).

In any case, I’m glad this conversation is happening and hope that it leads to more hosts and AUs honoring user preferences regarding the light/dark mode.

EDIT: note that in most other hosts, you don’t even need to close and reopen Atom’s UI, the setting in Control Center applies immediately when set.

• @Samu - you are right. Before the update i could toggle dark-mode on/off while AUM is running and Atom followed that setting (when closed and opened again). With todays AUM update, Atom stays in the dark mode - regardless of the setting in the command center. I used the toggle feature to check both variants while developing visual Atom styles :/

@j_liljedahl Please have a look at the problem, maybe add a setting to use the old behavior as Samu suggested.

• Fixed it on my end.

• @blueveek said:
    Fixed it on my end.

Well, done! 'Forced' changes are never good :)
    Thankfully I do not have too many AUv3 that get messed up by forced dark-mode...

• I'm looking for an AUM update in which I don't need to do the midi routing and set the midi channel filtering again if I want to change the AU instrument to another one in a selected AUM channel...

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Just for clarity, I’ll also have a look at maybe adding a force-override inside Atom.

I don’t have strong opinions on the host-level force dark mode, however I’m a little concerned about AUM overriding the settings set in Control Center, when most other hosts just pass it through immediately when set, without intervention. I think one could argue that it’s reasonable to force every AU developer to implement their own light/dark toggle inside their UI, but I also think this might make more sense as a host-level toggle, or a system-level toggle (which I prefer instead).

In any case, I’m glad this conversation is happening and hope that it leads to more hosts and AUs honoring user preferences regarding the light/dark mode.

EDIT: note that in most other hosts, you don’t even need to close and reopen Atom’s UI, the setting in Control Center applies immediately when set.

The thing is, AUM is fixed at dark mode, because there is no light theme implemented and when combined with various native iOS UI elements it looks correct when iOS understands that AUM is in dark mode.

When a host is in dark mode, any plugins automatically inherit dark mode as well. In previous versions of AUM I tried to override this by telling the plugin to use the system setting for dark mode, however this didn't work consistently (as seen in Atom for example) and I decided it was better to drop this hack. IMHO it also looks more consistent if plugins in AUM are shown in dark mode.

I could try to add a toggle for this in AUM, but then we're back at the same inconsistency problem again (that hack doesn't always work, and it doesn't update when it should).

Perhaps Atom's dark mode theme is too dark for many users?

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Perhaps Atom's dark mode theme is too dark for many users?

I do not think this is the underlying topic here. Furthermore, in Atom, both the dark and light modes (as well as fonts, button sizes etc.) can be further customized with theme files (many already uploaded to patchstorage).

The topic is user choice.

I’ve added an user override on my end. I hope all other AU developers will care enough to do this as well.

It’s understandable that there may be technical reasons for requiring AUM to stay fixed in dark mode, implemented in this particular way. But these are avoidable. For example, hosts like BM3 both appear dark and allow Atom to correctly follow the system settings. Prioritizing a fix for this in AUM is a whole ‘nother story, and it’s perfectly reasonable for it not to be on the radar in the near future.

Generally, I think defaults matter, and my personal conviction is that the default behavior should be to respect user preferences (not just for appearance, but reduce motion etc. as well). Some users might even want the modes to automatically switch based on what time of day it is, and iOS allows it.

• @Samu

Have you tried the various screen settings in iOS? One setting increases the contrast, which helps bring out elements in dark mode.

Settings - skärm och textstorlek: Öka konstrast

• @ChrisG said:
    @Samu

Have you tried the various screen settings in iOS? One setting increases the contrast, which helps bring out elements in dark mode.

Settings - skärm och textstorlek: Öka konstrast

Been there done that. It will be fixed in the next Atom 2 update...
    (I'm on the Atom 2 beta so all is good again).

• is AUM capable to handle toggle type CCs? trying to make this work with touchOSC and AUM midi controls. but toggle type messages only trigger midi controls per on/off cycle.

• edited May 2021

@nuno_agogo said:
    is AUM capable to handle toggle type CCs? trying to make this work with touchOSC and AUM midi controls. but toggle type messages only trigger midi controls per on/off cycle.

Doesn't seem like it does.
    Drambo can do it though.

• @rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:
    is AUM capable to handle toggle type CCs? trying to make this work with touchOSC and AUM midi controls. but toggle type messages only trigger midi controls per on/off cycle.

Drambo can do it though.

using Drambo to translate to AUM seems a little excessive. not sure if that's, what you suggested. just want to trigger some pads in Mozaic, but will check that out.

• @nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

Drambo can do it though.

using Drambo to translate to AUM seems a little excessive. not sure if that's, what you suggested. just want to trigger some pads in Mozaic, but will check that out.

Adding toggle behavior using Mozaic shouldn't be difficult...

• @wahnfrieden said:
    As mixer navigation is a common topic / category of request, I hope people know this bit of information:

You can long-press/click the horizontal scroll bar in AUM to quickly drag via finger or mouse, once it has appeared.

I also recommend the iPad Magic Keyboard or likely the Magic Trackpad 2 - you can 2-finger swipe quickly to scroll to beginning or end of AUM’s mixer with one gesture

Didn’t know that one! Will save me some time on iPhone 👍

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

Drambo can do it though.

You're asking the wrong question. AUM has nothing to do with the behavior. It's how Mozaic works with the pads that's is the cause. I forget the details right now, there were posts about it some time ago.

Can you describe exactly what you're trying to do with the Mozaic pads? I take it you're trying to trigger them via the AU parameter? If so then that's one thing. If not then handling them through code rather than the AU parameter is way more flexible.

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@nuno_agogo - confirmed. When using the AU parameter for the pads, sending any cc value over zero triggers the pad on/off. That's by design in Mozaic and is the same in all hosts.

To toggle on and off, you want to send directly to Mozaic and then handle the behavior in code. Best to make a post in one of the Mozaic threads, or start your own topic if you need help with the code.

• @wim said:
    @nuno_agogo - confirmed. When using the AU parameter for the pads, sending any cc value over zero triggers the pad on/off. That's by design in Mozaic and is the same in all hosts.

To toggle on and off, you want to send directly to Mozaic and then handle the behavior in code. Best to make a post in one of the Mozaic threads, or start your own topic if you need help with the code.

i see. i had this coming up with the in order arp script by ki. so i will have to look into the script or use additional one to handle this. thanks @wim and @rs2000.

• @nuno_agogo said:

Yes, when you map a CC to a on/off AU parameter in AUM, you can choose TOGGLE or not. If enabled, each CC with value > 0 will toggle the parameter. If you disable TOGGLE, value 64 and above will turn it on, values < 64 will turn it off.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Apples have no built-in AUv3's, they are AUv2 which means they have no UI. However many of the built-in filters/effects in AUM are already wrappers around Apple AU's, for example all EQs and the lookahead-limiter. It would be fairly easy to add AUDynamicsProcessor as well, I think.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!
    I'm happy the developers behind ZenBeats decided to add support for the Apple AU's with basic a UI.

AUDynamicsProcessor is by far one of my favorite AUs.
    It's very good for gating microphone input and trimming the signal to suitable output level after applying compression.
    (A 'wet dream' would be to get the channel strip from the Allen & Heath DLive consoles as an AUv3).

I also use the AUDynamicsProcessor in TwistedWave to 'silence the gaps' so when I later add some gain the noise won't creep up during the silent parts since they are already perfect zeroes.

Another favorite is the AUPeakLimiter to max out the volume without fear of clipping.

The 'toolbox' Apple hides in the built-in AU's is a hidden gem that deserves more attention ;)

I'll look into it! AUPeakLimiter is already there, it's called "Peak Limiter" in AUM :)

Does a limiter actually make you not need aum master out volume be visible. If it does then ignore. If you still need to see aum meter. Can it be easy to code so volume meter be a vertical sidebar? Like audiobus sidebar. Its just I sort apps and its better to be able to use all screen. Or sometimes have space at the side.

Thanks

• @sigma79 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Apples have no built-in AUv3's, they are AUv2 which means they have no UI. However many of the built-in filters/effects in AUM are already wrappers around Apple AU's, for example all EQs and the lookahead-limiter. It would be fairly easy to add AUDynamicsProcessor as well, I think.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!
    I'm happy the developers behind ZenBeats decided to add support for the Apple AU's with basic a UI.

AUDynamicsProcessor is by far one of my favorite AUs.
    It's very good for gating microphone input and trimming the signal to suitable output level after applying compression.
    (A 'wet dream' would be to get the channel strip from the Allen & Heath DLive consoles as an AUv3).

I also use the AUDynamicsProcessor in TwistedWave to 'silence the gaps' so when I later add some gain the noise won't creep up during the silent parts since they are already perfect zeroes.

Another favorite is the AUPeakLimiter to max out the volume without fear of clipping.

The 'toolbox' Apple hides in the built-in AU's is a hidden gem that deserves more attention ;)

I'll look into it! AUPeakLimiter is already there, it's called "Peak Limiter" in AUM :)

Does a limiter actually make you not need aum master out volume be visible. If it does then ignore. If you still need to see aum meter. Can it be easy to code so volume meter be a vertical sidebar? Like audiobus sidebar. Its just I sort apps and its better to be able to use all screen. Or sometimes have space at the side.

Thanks

Example

• It would actually be better for me, for drambo to be on other side actually. So a sidebar that can be chosen from top/bottom/left/right. Unless a limiter does work.

• @wahnfrieden said:
    As mixer navigation is a common topic / category of request, I hope people know this bit of information:

So i keep trying to go to other linear DAW types and AUM keeps pulling me back. 😁. Is there anyway that I can utilize my magic keyboard like Cubasis allows for keyboard shortcuts? It’s so nice to hit space bar to play or comma to rewind.

Also dose anyone know of a way to link faders together? So I could have control over 2 or 3 at once??

Thanks

• @onerez said:

@wahnfrieden said:

So i keep trying to go to other linear DAW types and AUM keeps pulling me back. 😁. Is there anyway that I can utilize my magic keyboard like Cubasis allows for keyboard shortcuts? It’s so nice to hit space bar to play or comma to rewind.

Support for keyboard shortcuts is on my TODO list. (Among a thousand other things so it might take a while...)

Also dose anyone know of a way to link faders together? So I could have control over 2 or 3 at once??

That's what busses are for. You could for example make a submix of all drum tracks and control it all with one fader.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@onerez said:

@wahnfrieden said:

Support for keyboard shortcuts is on my TODO list. (Among a thousand other things so it might take a while...)

That's what busses are for. You could for example make a submix of all drum tracks and control it all with one fader.

@j_liljedahl thank you sir!!!!!!

• Is there a way to save an aum session. All midi matrix routing, automation data and send to another ipad?