Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis bug: AU synth remains in a crashed state - no sound, no UI

I'm experiencing a horrible bug in Cubasis 3.3. The result is that the AUv3 synth seems to be crashed. There is no sound from the synth and the user interface is just black. It usually happens during an intensive sound design session. Suddenly during working with the AU's UI the UI goes black and also stops generating sound. This state is being persisted. When restarting Cubasis and loading the project the state of these AUs remain dark and silent. Only reloading the synth brings it back but then all patch editing is lost of course. Happened now with Synthmaster One but I experienced it also with other AU synths that I do not recall now

iPad 6, iPadOS 14.5, Cubasis 3.3. Audio is iPad native, set to 48 kHz, 16 bit. Audio settings below

@LFS where can I report bugs properly?

Comments

• I have had exactly the same with various AUv3s in Cubasis 3.3

• Same here. It's been happening with Klevgrand Reamp and various other auv3's.

• @krassmann Have you looked in the logs (Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data) for files named for the app, e.g Synthmaster...? They would indicate if the AUv3 is really crashing, or just losing connection to CB3.

• I had the issue today with DC-9. It was fixed when I switched to headphones instead of internal speakers. Seems to be more stable with multicore disabled too, on Air 3.

• edited May 2021

Switching between speakers and headphones didn't help. There is no such file under Analysis. How to better reach out to Lars? DM?

• @krassmann said:
    Switching between speakers and headphones didn't help. There is no such file under Analysis. How to better reach out to Lars? DM?

Post a tag him in the new update thread? Post over at the Cubasis forum. You can try DM. Hope it gets figured out.

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2021

Hi @krassmann,

Thanks for your message.

Gave it a short check and Synth Master One loads fine here (iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen, iOS 14.5.1).

Given the screenshot and black window, it looks like the AU instruments did not load properly.

Please give it a try to quit Cubasis, relaunch the app and reload the project.
    Does this help to resolve the problem?

P.S.: Alongside, please check out our Limitations of Audio Unit extensions article.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
    Lars

• Has anyone had this issue?

All of a sudden any track with audio samples is not working, i can listen to a loop or sample in the media bay but when i bring them onto a track they are silent. The waveform shows ok but no sound while any midi tracks play audio just fine

• edited May 2021

@LFS, in the beginning everything was fine. Plugin was loaded normally. The problem happened after 30-45 minutes of working on the project during sound design with SynthMaster One, using its UI, tweaking knobs while CB plays back a project in cycle mode. During such sound design session suddenly the plugin UI went black and the plugin stopped generating sound. The same happened also before with other AUs always after a similar time working with the project and using the UI of the plugin that crashed.

Reloading CB and loading the project doesn't help as described in my original post. The plugin stays black. Meanwhile I received my new M1 iPad and the issue persists after migration to the new iPad. So it must be somehow persisted in the project.

The project uses 1 x 808 classic machines, 1 x Primer, 3 x SynthMaster One, most channels use a channel strip. That is not much in my opinion.

Update: its just two SynthMasters

• It happens due to maxing out on memory. Keep freezing as many AU tracks as you can when you are done recording/editing them.

• Seems like an editing bug to me…especially if it persists to a new iPad. I would expect that Steinberg could analyze the project file to narrow it down.

• @krassmann said:
    @LFS, in the beginning everything was fine. Plugin was loaded normally. The problem happened after 30-45 minutes of working on the project during sound design with SynthMaster One, using its UI, tweaking knobs while CB plays back a project in cycle mode. During such sound design session suddenly the plugin UI went black and the plugin stopped generating sound. The same happened also before with other AUs always after a similar time working with the project and using the UI of the plugin that crashed.

Reloading CB and loading the project doesn't help as described in my original post. The plugin stays black. Meanwhile I received my new M1 iPad and the issue persists after migration to the new iPad. So it must be somehow persisted in the project.

The project uses 1 x 808 classic machines, 1 x Primer, 3 x SynthMaster One, most channels use a channel strip. That is not much in my opinion.

I get that frequently after working for a while. Part of why I say on CB2. I was hoping this new update would be more bug free.

• Same thing with Sunrizer synth. It’s odd that I run two instances of Sunrizer in one project, and only one crashes

• @Jack_Wabba said:
    Same thing with Sunrizer synth. It’s odd that I run two instances of Sunrizer in one project, and only one crashes

For me both SynthMaster instances crashed.

• @krassmann said:

I wonder if these adjustments are being saved by CB3 in some sort of undo buffer, and that's reaching a limit. Maybe saving the project once in a while would help. @LFS ?

• @uncledave said:

@krassmann said:

I wonder if these adjustments are being saved by CB3 in some sort of undo buffer, and that's reaching a limit. Maybe saving the project once in a while would help. @LFS ?

There is no manual saving in Cubasis. The project is saved automatically. If you want to do experimental changes it’s best to duplicate the project first if you don’t want to do an undo session later. You may love or hate this behavior.

• @krassmann said:

@uncledave said:

@krassmann said:

There is no manual saving in Cubasis. The project is saved automatically. If you want to do experimental changes it’s best to duplicate the project first if you don’t want to do an undo session later. You may love or hate this behavior.

So, is it possible that your long tuning session is creating a large number of auto-saved project copies?

• @uncledave said:

@krassmann said:

@uncledave said:

@krassmann said:

So, is it possible that your long tuning session is creating a large number of auto-saved project copies?

This would be a question for Lars, but I don’t think so that it is keeping a history of saved versions. It stores an undo history that defaults to 100 entries. Moreover I don’t think CB undo covers AUs.

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2021

Hi @krassmann,

I've once more checked back with our engineering.

Either the AU plugin crashed, then it should work fine again after reloading the project.

Or the whole project reaches the memory limit (which is set by iOS), in which case freezing AU tracks would help. In addition, we suggest to disable "Studio Quality" in the Audio setup.

If possible, please share the project with us to allow for further evaluation purposes.
    Here, please upload the project via Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link via private message.

Thanks,
    Lars

• @BillS said:
    I have had exactly the same with various AUv3s in Cubasis 3.3

I understand this might not solve everyone’s issues, and far be it from me to encourage speculative spending, but since taking delivery of my new M1 Pro, Cubasis has been running perfectly with multiple AUs. I upgraded from a 6th gen 2018 standard iPad.

• edited May 2021

Hi @LFS,

Thank you for checking back. I really appreciate that you take care. Unfortunately I continued working on this project, so I fixed the problem in this project by reloading the plugin and then recreating my patch. That means I lost the state with the problem. Sorry, I should have continued on a copy.

Moreover the problem did not occur anymore since I migrated to my brand new M1 iPad Pro. The old iPad 6 was wiped and handed over to my wife. So unfortunately I cannot help as I do not have this problem anymore. Probably you are right that the problem is related to memory. Maybe the others here in this thread who confirmed the problem can help: @Jack_Wabba, @BillS, @PeteM75

• FPCFPC
    edited May 2021

I've just had this issue too. iSem synth dropping out of (admittedly hefty) track. Black screen in AU window. Seems to happen both on initial project load and randomly when working on song. I'm not actually working on the synth itself or any Cubasis or FX track settings when it disappears.

It can be reloaded either by shutting down the project, and starting again or sometimes by selecting a different AU synth and then going back to iSem. This 2nd method doesn't always work; sometimes I get an "unable to load" message on the black screen no matter what other AU synth I try and load.

Luckily I've learnt not to rely on state saving for AU synths and FX. Where possible I always save the patch to the plug-in itself B)

Air 3, latest OS

• This used to happen to me quite frequently (black screen on plugin), then when I reached 3 instances of Sunrizer in my track, which introduced crackles, I found a post that said disable multicore rendering. Fixed the crackles from sunrizer and, this may be purely anecdotal, but I have hardly had this issue since.

@muzka, yes, I have this at least once a day on my current project, it’s always the same audio track, it plays silently, restarting cubasis fixes it. Sometimes, instead of the audio track being silent, when the transport bar reaches the audio sample, the entire project goes silent. As always, a restart fixes it, the only saving grace is the speed at which you can restart I guess.

• edited May 2021

@LFS said:
    Hi @krassmann,

I've once more checked back with our engineering.

Either the AU plugin crashed, then it should work fine again after reloading the project.

Or the whole project reaches the memory limit (which is set by iOS), in which case freezing AU tracks would help. In addition, we suggest to disable "Studio Quality" in the Audio setup.

If possible, please share the project with us to allow for further evaluation purposes.
    Here, please upload the project via Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link via private message.

Thanks,
    Lars

(Edited) Enabling « studio quality » seems to help with the crashes here, DC-9 Blamsoft black screen is less frequent for me. You lose some volume with internal speakers, but no volume issues with headphones or audio interface, it’s still the same. Even if not a 100% fix, this can give some indication to help team fixing those crashes.

• Hi all,

Please note that Cubasis 3.3.1 has been released, which resolves the most frequent user reported issues.

For more details, please refer to the official announcement: Cubasis 3.3.1 Maintenance Update Available

Thanks,
    Lars

• edited June 2021

@LFS
    Thank you! Now sunrizer synth works as expected.
    (I know I’m a bit slow)