Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Engine not running latest iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS (need your help before formatting 320 gb šŸ˜‚)

Comments

• Rebooted 5 timesšŸ˜‚

• @Charlesalbert I wonder about that "ongoing call" prompt. Can you make sure there's no other A/V activity going on? That could be something as innocuous as YouTube, or a web page with videos. Or of course, an audio interface, or headphones with a mic. I'm guessing that the system is trying to protect your privacy by blocking the possibility of audio interchange. And the system may not fully understand the hardware of your new iPad.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Just spent 2k on the new iPad. Maybe it was a bad ideaā€¦

Try performing a ā€œforce restartā€ of your iPad. This is done by pressing your volume button up once, volume button down once, then holding down the power button on the top of the iPad until you get a ā€œRestartā€ slider.

• @Charlesalbert said:

Rebooted 5 timesšŸ˜‚

Do you have any devices connected? I ran into this the other day (iOS 13.7) and was pulling my hair out until I realized that it was connected to using a hub and the order in which I connected my devices.

• Iā€™m getting this a lot on iOS 14.5 on my 2020 basic iPad. Not connected to anything.

• edited May 2021

The specific OSStatus code that was in one of the earlier posts maps to AVAudioSessionErrorCodeCannotStartRecording. Searching around for the code, I see mention of it being related to AirPlay. So, maybe AirPlay directly or possibly some other AV subsystem?

Edit: Also seems it might be related to IAA and background audio tasks. If there is some other task that is trying to add audio to the output mixer, it could trigger this.

• I just did everything was suggested here but with no luck. Thanks for the help. It happens every time I upgrade since iOS 14.4. If you reset the iPad from zero this will not happen anymore but I donā€™t want to restore iPad again šŸ˜‚ maybe is a bug triggered by the update process using ota.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    I just did everything was suggested here but with no luck. Thanks for the help. It happens every time I upgrade since iOS 14.4. If you reset the iPad from zero this will not happen anymore but I donā€™t want to restore iPad again šŸ˜‚ maybe is a bug triggered by the update process using ota.

Maybe, but there must be something else related to your device or configuration. I've used OTA exclusively since iOS 7; never had a hiccup of any kind.

• @sevenape said:
    Iā€™m getting this a lot on iOS 14.5 on my 2020 basic iPad. Not connected to anything.

I have the same device and I just had this problem since 14.5. Interestingly standalone synths work fine, unlike AUM, Audiobus or Drambo (I think Gadget is also affected). The problem disappears by itself after some time though, I don't necessarily need to restart my iPad to get audio working again.

• @uncledave said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    I just did everything was suggested here but with no luck. Thanks for the help. It happens every time I upgrade since iOS 14.4. If you reset the iPad from zero this will not happen anymore but I donā€™t want to restore iPad again šŸ˜‚ maybe is a bug triggered by the update process using ota.

Maybe, but there must be something else related to your device or configuration. I've used OTA exclusively since iOS 7; never had a hiccup of any kind.

Just my assumption. After the update I got an exclamation Mark next to FaceTime icon.
    Opened it, re entered the credentials and then no more exclamation mark. Since Iā€™ve done this, two ours ago I got no more issue, but who knows? Is like FaceTime service was running secretly In background

• @branis said:

@sevenape said:
    Iā€™m getting this a lot on iOS 14.5 on my 2020 basic iPad. Not connected to anything.

I have the same device and I just had this problem since 14.5. Interestingly standalone synths work fine, unlike AUM, Audiobus or Drambo (I think Gadget is also affected). The problem disappears by itself after some time though, I don't necessarily need to restart my iPad to get audio working again.

Oh, hope it does disappear soon!! Thanks

• @Charlesalbert said:

@uncledave said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Just my assumption. After the update I got an exclamation Mark next to FaceTime icon.
    Opened it, re entered the credentials and then no more exclamation mark. Since Iā€™ve done this, two ours ago I got no more issue, but who knows? Is like FaceTime service was running secretly In background

That could be. It's always ready to receive a call. And that does relate to the privacy issue I suggested. Glad youfound it.

• edited May 2021

On further experimentation, aum always loads ok in portrait mode, but the problem comes back after a bit in landscape.

• Update. All working good but as soon as I put iPad on the table, horizontally audio stop, then I put it in the hands and audio start againā€¦ wooow

• Watch this guys.

Iā€™m a magicianšŸ˜‚šŸ˜±

https://youtube.com/shorts/Cbb30y6Re7E?feature=share

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Update. All working good but as soon as I put iPad on the table, horizontally audio stop, then I put it in the hands and audio start againā€¦ wooow

Interesting. Sounds like it's reacting to the motion sensors. I wonder if there's some new Setting that affects this, maybe in Accessibility. It could be something specific for your new device.

• Are you sure you're not running a beta of AUM ? (I guess not...)
    No problem with 14.5 with iPad pro 2020 12.9, and 2018 - 11', at the moment...

• Disabled FaceTime and iMessage. Rebooted iPad and now no more glitch. Or I hope at least.

• WoW... this is kinda insane... :(
    Thanks @Charlesalbert and respect... It would definitely drive me nuts...

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Disabled FaceTime and iMessage. Rebooted iPad and now no more glitch. Or I hope at least.

Good try, but itā€™s still doing it on my iPad

• Having the same thing on my A14 Air. Iā€™m onto apple support about it, even had to download GarageBand just to prove it wasnā€™t third party apps. Why did I think I would escape the upgrade godsā€¦

• So strangely enough (after 2 days of shitty apple support), one agent asked me to test the mic, opened voice memos (for the first time since restoring) to test, and it somehow seems to have helped to stop the audio engine crashing. I've only just done it but it's defo more stable so far.

Might be worth a try but ymmv

• @ronnieb said:
    So strangely enough (after 2 days of shitty apple support), one agent asked me to test the mic, opened voice memos (for the first time since restoring) to test, and it somehow seems to have helped to stop the audio engine crashing. I've only just done it but it's defo more stable so far.

ThanksšŸ¤Ÿ

• I must admit, this thread more than others has me wondering about going back to desktops. IOS updates seems to cause more problems than desktop systems - anyone care to comment?

• edited May 2021

@Hypervox said:
    I must admit, this thread more than others has me wondering about going back to desktops. IOS updates seems to cause more problems than desktop systems - anyone care to comment?

I recently returned to desktop after spending a ton of money on iOS apps but lately these bugs pissed me off and the general lack of interest of Apple for the music world.
    Cancelled my order of the new iPad Pro and returned to my old VCV rack Ableton combo on pc and MacBook.

• @ronnieb said:
    So strangely enough (after 2 days of shitty apple support), one agent asked me to test the mic, opened voice memos (for the first time since restoring) to test, and it somehow seems to have helped to stop the audio engine crashing. I've only just done it but it's defo more stable so far.

This didnā€™t last FYI

• @ronnieb said:

@ronnieb said:

This didnā€™t last FYI

Goddammit.

Itā€™s getting ridiculous now.

• @Charlesalbert said:

Rebooted 5 timesšŸ˜‚

Disable mic permissions in Audiobus and AUM in privacy settings and it should work.

• @shodd71 said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Rebooted 5 timesšŸ˜‚

Disable mic permissions in Audiobus and AUM in privacy settings and it should work.

@Michael this is the same issue for me as well

• Iā€™ve been having the same problem with my iPad, but I found that if I have headphones plugged in it never happens. Even if Iā€™m running it through a Bluetooth audio system I have no problems. The headphones just have to be plugged in. Iā€™m still waiting on an interface so I havenā€™t tried it through one yet.