Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dead iPad Pro AGAIN. That’s 3. F*****k this.

This is bullshit. I’m so pissed off 😡 🤬❌🤮

Basically same shit over again. Dead iPad.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44120/just-killed-another-ipad-pro-looks-like-usb-hub-power-bankrolled-it-what-do-i-do

I was working on a Maozaic script in AUM with my Satechi hub to connect the Launchkey. It wouldn’t recognize the Lsunchkey so I plugged and unplugged, then plugged in the powerbank. Bum. Black. Unresponsive. Last time it wouldn’t charge this time it’s just black.
After the last 2 I blamed the powerbank. Tristar chip, power delivery crap... so I bought a proper and expensive Anker one. Same shit.
I asked Apple for an explanation, didn’t get one. They said it couldn’t be the Satechi hub. After all it only passes through whatever current. And this time when it popped the hub wasn’t even plugged in.
So it’s back to wild guessing about e-Mark chips, Tristar and whatever you wanna throw in there. This is just bullshit. “It’s never happened to me” you might say. Fine, but it’s happened to me 3 times now. Maybe I plug and unplug things too quickly?. Who cares, that’s no reason!. I’ve had the lighting 9,7 iPad Pro I’m writing from for 6 years, using all sorts of dongles and powerbanks and never had a problem.
There’s something terribly wrong with these iPads. Am I gonna get yet another replacement?. What’s gonna change?. Do I just not plug anything into it?. Do I just use it to read the paper?.
I’ve spent hundreds of € on apps. Literally. That’s my biggest worry at this point. I’m off to f***g Genius Bar in an hour. It’s embarrassing. It’s bullshit. And they won’t even let me get another model as replacement, I tried last time, I wanted the air model just to see if it was different.
There’s something terribly wrong with the usb-c port. But they don’t know or won’t tell me what causes it. So it wasn’t the powerbank, now what?. They don’t know shit!. At “genius” bar they’re just guessing like we are. Aggggghhghhgghh. It’s a joke.

Comments

• If that always happened with the same hub, I would get another prime model - just to be sure

• edited May 2021

I don’t know man. I know it’s upsetting but if there were hordes of people here on the forum reporting this I’d be with you on the whole WTF Apple tirade. The thing is that if it’s just you or a fraction of users then it makes me think that there must be something that you do that’s causing this. Most likely the usb -c periferals you’re using or maybe whatever else you’re connecting to your hub....or maybe there’s something dodgy with your house’s electrical installation or maybe the power brick is playing up?

Please don’t take it wrong, I mean it in a nicest possible way.

• edited May 2021

How are you using the powerbank, is it plugged into a wall power outlet when this happens?
    Or are you using the same cable each time it's happened, or different cables?

I recently had weird electricity over voltage in my flat for ages until it was fixed by an electrician, just wondering if you're plugged into the mains when this happens?

• @tja said:
    If that always happened with the same hub, I would get another prime model - just to be sure

They explicitly told me it couldn’t be the hub at Apple. The Satechi is not cheap, it’s one of the best known.
    Ok, so Just in case I’ll get a prime one, the “primest”. I’ll get Apple’s official hub. Oh wait, it’s got no headphones jack!. What now?. How do I use my iPad to make music, which is the sole reason I want it for?. And that’s “just in case”...
    Excuse my tone @tja , obviously not directed at you. I’m very grateful for your comment!.
    A usb hub should not kill a device. Never. Unless there’s some bullshit “negotiation” going on on whatever chip is there that does ... I don’t know.
    Feels like breaking a guitar string and blaming the delay pedal.
    I just want an answer. This happened because of this... I’ll do whatever they say, I’ll buy whatever they say. That was my position last time, that’s what I told them. I’ll buy a 200€ dongle if I have to, it’d be amazing if I could actually listen to stuff and charge it at the same time. One can only dream...

• @supadom said:
    I don’t know man. I know it’s upsetting but if there were hordes of people here on the forum reporting this I’d be with you on the whole WTF Apple tirade. The thing is that if it’s just you or a fraction of users then it makes me think that there must be something that you do that’s causing this. Most likely the usb -c periferals you’re using or maybe whatever else you’re connecting to your hub....or maybe there’s something dodgy with your house’s electrical installation or maybe the power brick is playing up?

This is pretty much what I thought when reading the post.

• @tahiche said:
    This is bullshit. I’m so pissed off 😡 🤬❌🤮

Basically same shit over again. Dead iPad.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44120/just-killed-another-ipad-pro-looks-like-usb-hub-power-bankrolled-it-what-do-i-do

I was working on a Maozaic script in AUM with my Satechi hub to connect the Launchkey. It wouldn’t recognize the Lsunchkey so I plugged and unplugged, then plugged in the powerbank. Bum. Black. Unresponsive. Last time it wouldn’t charge this time it’s just black.
    After the last 2 I blamed the powerbank. Tristar chip, power delivery crap... so I bought a proper and expensive Anker one. Same shit.
    I asked Apple for an explanation, didn’t get one. They said it couldn’t be the Satechi hub. After all it only passes through whatever current. And this time when it popped the hub wasn’t even plugged in.
    So it’s back to wild guessing about e-Mark chips, Tristar and whatever you wanna throw in there. This is just bullshit. “It’s never happened to me” you might say. Fine, but it’s happened to me 3 times now. Maybe I plug and unplug things too quickly?. Who cares, that’s no reason!. I’ve had the lighting 9,7 iPad Pro I’m writing from for 6 years, using all sorts of dongles and powerbanks and never had a problem.
    There’s something terribly wrong with these iPads. Am I gonna get yet another replacement?. What’s gonna change?. Do I just not plug anything into it?. Do I just use it to read the paper?.
    I’ve spent hundreds of € on apps. Literally. That’s my biggest worry at this point. I’m off to f***g Genius Bar in an hour. It’s embarrassing. It’s bullshit. And they won’t even let me get another model as replacement, I tried last time, I wanted the air model just to see if it was different.
    There’s something terribly wrong with the usb-c port. But they don’t know or won’t tell me what causes it. So it wasn’t the powerbank, now what?. They don’t know shit!. At “genius” bar they’re just guessing like we are. Aggggghhghhgghh. It’s a joke.

Terrible! And you're really makinge wish I hadn't let my apple care accidentally expire, I'm such a procrastinator with these things

• @michael_m said:

@supadom said:

This is pretty much what I thought when reading the post.

I don’t take it wrong, actually appreciate all your comments.
    You’re obviously right, this is not widespread. Like I said I blamed the powerbank, so I bought a new one. So now it seems like it must be the usb hub...
    They specifically told me that couldn’t be the cause at Apple Store. Like I said, I asked and was willing to do whatever. It’s ok for us to guess and make assumptions, but Apple should point out what the problem is.
    Let’s assume it’s the hub... there’s no “official” hub that’ll let you charge and use headphones. So it’s got to be a third party one. Which is why I stuck with my Satechi, which again, was ruled out as a cause by the Apple personnel. Is there a usb hub with headphone jack that they guarantee will work?. I’ll get it.
    I’m not sure that’s the cause, though. Or at least partly. Again, an iPad shouldn’t die because of a usb hub.
    I’m off to the “Genius “ bar.

• edited May 2021

sheesh, that sounds brutal!

• Sorry for those terrible occurrences @tahiche. I’m about to invest in a Touché MPE controller which requires a powered hub. Now I’m worried! I could not find an Apple made hub. Is there one as mentioned above?

• @tahiche random thought... has this been happening in the same part of your home plugged into the same part of the wall? Is there any chance this has to do with the current flow in your home or wiring in a specific part of the wall?

• to be honest it really sounds like you have some faulty power sockets in your home. youd be surprised how easily macs,pcs,consoles or any sort of computing device can fry with a socket that has neutral issues or a house that has earthing problems.

• Carpets, rugs, wearing shoes indoors, static electricity?...had an IT co-worker fry 2 laptops in a conference room within seconds of touching them, yet others used the laptops right before him without issue, plus he worked with electronics all day long without frying things.

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles tahiche.

• Is the powerbank powering the iPad and the hub? Maybe the power draw of the two together is not enough? Are the hub and iPad on separate ports of the powerbank or the same?

• Gotta ask: where are you getting these iPads from?

• Seems related to your power choices or static problems and not from iPads

• I'm not sure a USB hub is really equipped for handling dodgy voltage fluctuations. I kept having external HDs and (cheaper) hubs go dead in my office, so I eventually bought one of these for $50 or so:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjzhsiwhMfwAhWLsp4KHeyuAqoQFjAAegQIBRAD&url=https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/Line-R-1200VA-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/P-LE1200&usg=AOvVaw2Yex8pdZygYTssYVdaVylL

Some days it shows higher than normal voltage, some days low. The circuitry and battery in the regulator keeps the current consistent. Obviously, there's something iffy about my old house's wiring, but I haven't had an external go bad since.

• You might want to try getting a UPS. When I bought my condo I had 3 computers die in one year. I got a small UPS fir my computer corner and another for tv stuff. knock on wood, it’s been 10 years.

• @ecou said:
    You might want to try getting a UPS. When I bought my condo I had 3 computers die in one year. I got a small UPS fir my computer corner and another for tv stuff. knock on wood, it’s been 10 years.

I agree with this comment. I once lived in an apartment which had power spikes, blackouts and all sorts of problems with the electricity. You might be assigning the blame to the wrong source. Get a “UPS”.

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector

• Hi!
    I was using the Satechi hub with a brand new Anker powerbank. So no house power electric problems...
    As I said, I blamed my old powerbank for the other dead iPads. It took 2 dead iPads to see what was common in both cases and the powerbank seemed the obvious candidate.
    So I bought a new one. Widely popular, power delivery and so on....
    Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 PD
    So is it the Satechi?. Who knows, it might take a 4rd dead iPad to know... the Satechi is about 50$, very popular and they sell other Satechi hubs in the Apple Store.

So I went to Apple Store. Do I have any answers?. No. They kept my dead iPad and are going to “inspect it”. I’m a suspect.

Here’s a little breakdown.

• They don’t have any usb hubs with an audio jack. None. Not in the store nor the web.
    • They have other Satechi hubs but none with jack.
    • They recommend (surprise) AirPods. They don’t have a clue about latency and why they’re not suitable for music making.
    • I keep telling them I make music with the iPad, I need to charge, listen and be able to plug a keyboard or sound card. It’s a must, I don’t have an iPad Pro to read the newspaper (I do to visit this forum, a lot,,,🤷🏻‍♂️)
    • They literally tell me “maybe the iPad Pro is not suitable for ‘pro’ music making”. Right, that means non-pros can actually make amateur music without headphones... aha
    • They think my use case is very “special”
    • I leave the store with no info. I don’t know what hub to buy, or if it was the hub at all...
    • Almost forgot, the Apple guy (very nice kid I must say, he meant well and was very kind) suggested I buy the new M1 “to see if I didn’t have the same issues”.
  • So these fried not being connected to any kind of house power? That is crazy... if it was connected to house power I'd also recommend a UPS, nothing crazy, or maybe just a really nice power strip with a fuse for safety...

Sorry to hear this, it's stuff like this that makes me nervous about spending a boatload on a tablet haha...

• edited May 2021

Maybe you need to add up how much power is really being drawn having all of these devices attached to each other and then to your external battery. You may not have enough available watts of power coming from the battery, which could conceivably be causing a power draw which the battery cannot meet.

I’ve never heard of problems like this before except when an inconsistent power source is involved. How old is this external battery and how many times have you used it? It’s possible your battery no longer works correctly? Oh, wait… I see you’re saying it’s a brand new power bank.

Is it possible the way these are connected is creating a circuit which is shorting everything out?

• edited May 2021

Have you tried an Audio device with a headphone port?
    (Probably, but just thought I’d ask)

Also, have you checked if you can charge the iPad with a charging pad, while still using the powered hub?
    (This is an honest question borne of ignorance. I don’t know if it is even possible for you, but I can charge my Air2 from the CCK-3 L-port while using a powered hub for my power-needy devices.)
    I believe it can be done with a mag charging pad. Take a look at how the Kensington Dock does it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-iPad-Docking-Station-StudioDock/dp/B08R5CH5C1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=U189APB0RATT&dchild=1&keywords=kensington+docking+station+ipad+pro&qid=1620928018&sprefix=kensington+docking+station,aps,288&sr=8-3

• @NeuM Is it possible the way these are connected is creating a circuit which is shorting everything out?

Just a hub with

@CracklePot said:
    Have you tried an Audio device with a headphone port?
    (Probably, but just thought I’d ask)

Also, have you checked if you can charge the iPad with a charging pad, while still using the powered hub?

The use is very standard, just hub with a new Launchkey mini mk3 into the USB port. Powerbank (brand new Anker, very standard, see link above) into the power port of the hub.

The iPad sometimes fails to recognize the hub so I unplug it and plug it again. Nothing special.

Here’s my very unscientific explanation/guess of how I feel about this.
    Usb-c deals with data and power. Lightning does too, but lightning has less power and it’s not a 2 way power negotiation. That is, you need a powered hub or a way to plug the peripheral in lighting. Whereas usb-c can deliver that power, so it receives and sends electric current.

So when I’m plugging/unplugging my hub for the Launchkey to be recognized it goes into “Data and power-out” mode. If I then plug in (quickly) the powerbank, it might be still in the “other” form of power negotiation... The way I see it, you eat and breath through the same entry point. If there’s a temporary failure in the valve that negotiates the paths, you choke while eating. You cough cos some food got into the air path. I believe that’s what’s happening. How do I know?. I haven’t got a f*** clue.
    Can someone with some real knowledge tell me of my food/air pipe theory is a pile or crap or maybe there’s some meaning to it?. By some conversations with @krassmann snd others the last time it happened, that “valve” could be the Tristar chip, that’s getting hung up on the wrong “mode” and fries the device.

• I know this might not seem helpful but... something does not sound right.

• Seems like the only thing in common across all 3 is the hub?

I'd suspect static on the USB. Does the hub body have metal? Maybe it happens when plugging/unplugging something on the hub or iPad?
    Anything else on the USB chain have a metal body or is there any possibility of a faulty cable? I haven't heard of a faulty USB cable causing a dead device, but Apple's lightning cables crap out on me regularly and give intermittent connections. A dead short in a cable shouldn't make it past the USB isolation, but maybe it is.

• Recall pissing off any gypsies?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    to be honest it really sounds like you have some faulty power sockets in your home. youd be surprised how easily macs,pcs,consoles or any sort of computing device can fry with a socket that has neutral issues or a house that has earthing problems.

Same curious thoughts here. Otherwise it seems like the bad luck equivalent of buying three $500 scratch off lottery tickets in a row...

• Get the Apple dongle and a USB2 audio device with headphone jack... cheap in comparison

• @AudioGus said:
    Recall pissing off any gypsies?

Haha. I know this reference.

• Again. You have problems with your power socket

The sensitivity of the usb hub is different than iPad. You can change a million time of hub usb. It’s useless.

Buy an UPS with a good regulator. End of story. I never connect any DC power directly to power socket. Always through a UPS. Even the phone charger.