Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton Link Problems

Hi,

This morning, i can't use AUM anymore with ableton link to synchronise with my PC (iMac).
Could it be that the latest iPadOS is the troublemaker? (iPadOS 14.5.1)
I have updated my iPad last evening.
I don't see a Link Connection popup anymore in AUM.
Strange thing is, that Audiobus 3 works, even with start/stop, bit no Link popup.
BM3 works also, and Korg Gadget.
What doesn't work are: AUM and ApeMatrix.

PS: Drambo (standalone) works also.

Comments

• What OS on laptop?

I would start more with shut down of of laptop. I also sometimes have seen Ableton be slow with certain apps when there are many connections. Perhaps use your host iOS app to sync all internal apps in lieu of each separate connection. Let AUM / Matrix trigger all apps. I also would make sure ALL apps are closed. OPEN AUM first upon restart and giving Ableton a minute to connect.

What Ableton version?

TBH.... NEVER have seen AUM have one issue ever. Give that a whirl.

• @RUST( i )K I use Mojave on my iMac, and Catalina on my MacBook Pro. In-between these devices and my iPad, i use an iConnectAUDIO4+.
    I haven't changed anything in the setup, only a software update on the iPad.
    The Midi-routing on the CA4+ is very basic, only send/recieve between USB1 and USB2.
    I think it isn't the cables, otherwise all apps won't function proper, so data transport is fully functional.
    I know the rule of eliminating circumstances that might give trouble.
    Maybe there's one thing i can try, and that's connecting through IDAM.

• This sounds like it could be a wifi problem. Try going to airplane mode for maybe 10 seconds on the iPad, then turning airplane mode off. Make sure that Wifi connects to the same wifi as your iMac and that Bluetooth is enabled. Next disconnect and reconnect from wifi on the Macs and checking that Bluetooth is enabled on them.

If none of that works, reboot all of the devices. If it still doesn't work, you may want to try restarting your router.

• edited May 2021

So I'm not alone in this world!! :D Same here since ios/ipadOS 14.5.1, ableton link doesn't work anymore with AUM on my iPad air 4 AND on my iPhone 6 Plus, strange thing is that some app still connect to Link (animoog/Korg Gadget/iKaossilator...) but not AUM, even if I make an ad'hoc wireless connection beetween my mac and the ipad/iphone, so I doubt that restarting the router will have some effect on this. I'm on a Macbook Pro 2015 with MacOS Mojave 10.14.4. Hope this would be fixed soon, as AUM is becoming the center of my whole productions o:) Thanks for reading and support!

Cheers everyone

• If it turns out that really did break 14.5.1 broke Link for AUM, then that's it, I've decided 13.7 is the last update my Air 2 will get.

I've been hoping that at some point 14 would get sorted out and I'd take the Air 2 to it, but if random stuff like this can happen with point updates, then clearly Apple has lost their way when it comes to audio apps.

I hope its not an OS update issue but can be solved with rebooting or something.

• @wim Thanks for your support. I don't think it has to do with wifi. I don't use wifi the enable a connection between devices, i only use it for connection outside. I also don't use Bluetooth. Only for my pencil and headphone.
    @MIKEI So it seems you got the same problem, good to know it's not only me :)

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@Identor said:
    @wim Thanks for your support. I don't think it has to do with wifi. I don't use wifi the enable a connection between devices, i only use it for connection outside. I also don't use Bluetooth. Only for my pencil and headphone.

Link only works over wifi (or Ethernet). If you don't have wifi enabled and/or you're not on the same network for all your devices then there is no way Link will work between devices.

• The weird part is that Link is working on some app and some other don’t , so they must use a different version of Ableton Link somehow, we should report the problem to Apple and Ableton as it’s the nasty 14.5.1 iOS update that broke the stuff, I can’t blame Kymatica for this.

• I have the same problem with ipad pro 11 and 14.5 … can’t sync ableton live with ipad aum…

• Seems like it's time to ping @j_liljedahl to see if he knows about this.

• I wonder if iOS 14 will ever become a no-brainer update. Still on iOS 13 too.
    Never before have I seen such a mess for such a long time.

Not too long ago, Apple have introduced additional required permissions for apps to get full WiFi access and developers had to specifically add that permission.
    Maybe these issues are related.

• Yes, I am aware of it. I think it's because of the new required permission for multicast networking, which is used by Link. I've requested the entitlement from Apple and it was approved today, so I'll try putting out a new beta version of AUM very soon that hopefully fixes this. Contact me if you're a user having this issue on iOS 14.5 and you don't already have access to the beta.

• edited May 2021

@wim said:
    Seems like it's time to ping @j_liljedahl to see if he knows about this.

Already did ;-) Thanks @j_liljedahl for the fast response! Fact is, we can’t live without AUM anymore… 😂👍 One thing I’m sure is that I’ll wait for the last moment before to update my iPadOS/iOS next time.
    Kymatica ROCKS!!!!!
    Cheers everyone✌️

• @MIKEI said:

@wim said:
    Seems like it's time to ping @j_liljedahl to see if he knows about this.

Already did ;-) Thanks @j_liljedahl for the fast response! Fact is, we can’t live without AUM anymore… 😂👍 One thing I’m sure is that I’ll wait for the last moment before to update my iPadOS/iOS next time.
    Kymatica ROCKS!!!!!
    Cheers everyone✌️

Yes it's always a good idea to wait a bit before updating iOS, research what other users has experienced with the update, and perhaps test first on a "spare" device if you have one.

• @wim I'm never too to old learn :). I always thought that Link goes as USB-data if there's a direct connection. I have wifi through the house with good coverage. As j_liljedahl mentioned, it could be a networking related issue.
    @j_liljedahl Thanks for being aware of the issue, and a quick response. Hope it will be ironed out the next update. When i grab my iPad for some creative flow, AUM is the mostly the first app i open to get something done. It's the Swiss Knife in that regard.
    @MIKEI Hang on Bro :)

• Soon apps will have to ask permission and request a certificate (in gold, with platinum frame) to draw pixels on the screen 😉

• And we’ll applaud them... the innovative, right approach...

• @Identor said:
    Hi,

This morning, i can't use AUM anymore with ableton link to synchronise with my PC (iMac).
    Strange thing is, that Audiobus 3 works, even with start/stop, bit no Link popup.

I am on 14.5.1 and yep I think Link is stuffed all round. It's not just AUM.
    In my investigations BM3 links to Ableton and Bitwig, but there is no playback sync. Nothing happens when I hit play. Have you actually got playback to work with Link? I have also tried this with Gadget. It links, but there is no playback sync. So, maybe this problem is a little bigger than just AUM? MIDI sync works fine.
    Electribe Wave doesn't even want to do the Ableton Link thing at all.

@j_liljedahl you might be the man with the answer for this.

• @arktek said:

@Identor said:
    Hi,

In my investigations BM3 links to Ableton and Bitwig, but there is no playback sync. Nothing happens when I hit play. Have you actually got playback to work with Link? I have also tried this with Gadget. It links, but there is no playback sync. So, maybe this problem is a little bigger than just AUM? MIDI sync works fine.

After requesting the new multicast networking entitlement from Apple, and enabling this in AUM, it seems to work fine on iOS 14.5, both beat sync and play/stop. (It's in the current AUM beta version and will be released soon)

• edited May 2021

In my investigations BM3 links to Ableton and Bitwig, but there is no playback sync. Nothing happens when I hit play. Have you actually got playback to work with Link? I have also tried this with Gadget. It links, but there is no playback sync. So, maybe this problem is a little bigger than just AUM? MIDI sync works fine. >

^ +1THIS! You’r right, I was wrong when I said Link was working in some apps, start/stop isn’t working in any of them. Apple should have warned the dev a long time before this update to prevent this…😤, hoping now that all the dev will react as fast as @j_liljedahl, let’s wait and see…

Take care everyone👾🖖

• @MIKEI said:

In my investigations BM3 links to Ableton and Bitwig, but there is no playback sync. Nothing happens when I hit play. Have you actually got playback to work with Link? I have also tried this with Gadget. It links, but there is no playback sync. So, maybe this problem is a little bigger than just AUM? MIDI sync works fine. >

^ +1THIS! You’r right, I was wrong when I said Link was working in some apps, start/stop isn’t working in any of them, thanks Apple for this great update, well done😂😂👎

They would say it's in the name of security...

• @j_liljedahl said:

@arktek said:

@Identor said:
    Hi,

After requesting the new multicast networking entitlement from Apple, and enabling this in AUM, it seems to work fine on iOS 14.5, both beat sync and play/stop. (It's in the current AUM beta version and will be released soon)

Thanks for your rapid response. I'd say there is going to be a busy bunch of developers going in to update their apps very shortly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@arktek said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@arktek said:

@Identor said:
    Hi,

Thanks for your rapid response. I'd say there is going to be a busy bunch of developers going in to update their apps very shortly.

Not Steinberg! d’bum tssh….

Yes, well that's true. They've got enough things to keep them busy.

• Link is back!!! Big Thanks @j_liljedahl for the fast support.

Keep on the good work

Cheers

• Nice :). Gonna try it out tonight.

• 14.5.1 aum works like a charm ( synced in ableton )

• Sorry to jump on this old thread but I am having a link issue. The tempo is syncing in both AUM and AB3 but start/stop isn't responding from ableton to aum or aum to ableton. I've tried restarting my 2020 mac mini and 2021 iPad Pro multiple times. Both are running the latest official OS versions. Was working yesterday. Not sure what other troubleshooting I can do. Link start/stop is enabled in AUM. Both devices are connected to the same wifi network. iPad is connected to the mac mini via usb c for audio to an aggregate device. Everything else is working in AUM via ableton.

• Not sure if it were the problem but my router were 5g. So an ipad were 5g and the other standard. Connected to standard and link worked.

• @honkimon - you didn't mention whether or not you've checked the Link settings in Live to be sure start/stop is enabled. You probably have, and I don't know why it would change on its own, but that's all I can think of.